From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous
to the end
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:50:47 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:50 UTC

Ambridge’s villain in chief finally met his maker, draining a fair bit
of colour from the village. But there’s a bright side: Adil found some
bargain kitchen gear

<https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/02/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-adil-rob-helen-alice>,
aka <https://tinyl.io/9rKc>
--
Best wishes, Serena
She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end

<ZkFO+vO2pxalFwP$@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19338&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19338

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:52:22 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:52 UTC

In message <ukeuln$2a8qa$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:50:47,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>Ambridge’s villain in chief finally met his maker, draining a fair
>bit of colour from the village. But there’s a bright side: Adil found
>some bargain kitchen gear
>
><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/02/charlotte-higgins-
>on-the-archers-adil-rob-helen-alice>, aka <https://tinyl.io/9rKc>

(Thanks for the link, as usual.) I hadn't realised he was in a cheerless
flat; I'd assumed a hospice or hospital of some sort. I suppose he'd
have refused that (and/or behaved so badly they asked him to leave,
though I don't think they do that).

.... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end

<io8mmi9brbrlrk72aeioomari1253asved@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19341&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19341

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 12:31:09 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:31 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:52:22 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>In message <ukeuln$2a8qa$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 2 Dec 2023 09:50:47,
>Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>>Ambridge’s villain in chief finally met his maker, draining a fair
>>bit of colour from the village. But there’s a bright side: Adil found
>>some bargain kitchen gear
>>
>><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/02/charlotte-higgins-
>>on-the-archers-adil-rob-helen-alice>, aka <https://tinyl.io/9rKc>
>
>(Thanks for the link, as usual.) I hadn't realised he was in a cheerless
>flat; I'd assumed a hospice or hospital of some sort. I suppose he'd
>have refused that (and/or behaved so badly they asked him to leave,
>though I don't think they do that).

Yes thanks and I too thought the flat not that bad. The article is
wrong though. It is not over for RWP yet. There is a spoiler
predicting more badness for her, maybe the will?

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end

<ukfioo$2a8qa$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19349&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19349

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob,
venomous to the end
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:33:43 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:33 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:52, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> (Thanks for the link, as usual.) I hadn't realised he was in a cheerless
> flat; I'd assumed a hospice or hospital of some sort. I suppose he'd
> have refused that (and/or behaved so badly they asked him to leave,
> though I don't think they do that).

Yes, Miles told Helen that he'd flatly refused to be admitted to either
hospice or hospital - or, presumably, nursing home (which is where all
those people I have known who died of brain tumours have ended their
days). Helen then commented to Rob, in her near-death watch, how bleak
his room was and compared it to her prison cell.

--
Best wishes, Serena
I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end

<vanmmi1ei088rmb1evd9o6uvq8qrghnvto@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19352&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19352

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 16:59:53 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:59 UTC

On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:33:43 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 02/12/2023 11:52, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> (Thanks for the link, as usual.) I hadn't realised he was in a cheerless
>> flat; I'd assumed a hospice or hospital of some sort. I suppose he'd
>> have refused that (and/or behaved so badly they asked him to leave,
>> though I don't think they do that).
>
>Yes, Miles told Helen that he'd flatly refused to be admitted to either
>hospice or hospital - or, presumably, nursing home (which is where all
>those people I have known who died of brain tumours have ended their
>days). Helen then commented to Rob, in her near-death watch, how bleak
>his room was and compared it to her prison cell.

On JPG's matter of behaving so badly one might be asked to leave, I
wouldn't be so sure. I have no experience, first, second or any other
kind of hand of being asked to leave a hospice but I'm aware of an
-erme- difficult person being moved out of a psychiatric hospital
because they were a)too disruptive and b)not improving while they were
resident there so I would be willing to believe it could happen in a
hospice. They were moved into an old people's home on the same campus
where they continue to receive treatment from the same doctors for
their condition. I feel very sorry about their (am I allowed to say
this?) descent into madness - they used to be intelligent, clever and
talented - but I can't help also feeling sorry for the elderly people
who thought they were going to have a peaceful time before they turned
up their toes.

I'm fairly sure it would be impossible to identify them from what I
have written so far (nobody known to umra anyway AFAIK) but you'll
appreciate why I won't say any more. I just feel more open, these
days, to the possibility that a hospice might evict a patient if it
were in the interest of the quality of life of the other patients.

Nick

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil Rob, venomous to the end

<ukg9nr$2h5lp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19364&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19364

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: and so farewell, Evil
Rob, venomous to the end
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aRXX98+tNgWyj4Z2egrL1zTyZjk=
 by: Chris - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:05 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:33:43 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/12/2023 11:52, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> (Thanks for the link, as usual.) I hadn't realised he was in a cheerless
>>> flat; I'd assumed a hospice or hospital of some sort. I suppose he'd
>>> have refused that (and/or behaved so badly they asked him to leave,
>>> though I don't think they do that).
>>
>> Yes, Miles told Helen that he'd flatly refused to be admitted to either
>> hospice or hospital - or, presumably, nursing home (which is where all
>> those people I have known who died of brain tumours have ended their
>> days). Helen then commented to Rob, in her near-death watch, how bleak
>> his room was and compared it to her prison cell.
>

> On JPG's matter of behaving so badly one might be asked to leave, I
> wouldn't be so sure. I have no experience, first, second or any other
> kind of hand of being asked to leave a hospice but I'm aware of an
> -erme- difficult person being moved out of a psychiatric hospital
> because they were a)too disruptive and b)not improving while they were
> resident there so I would be willing to believe it could happen in a
> hospice. They were moved into an old people's home on the same campus
> where they continue to receive treatment from the same doctors for
> their condition. I feel very sorry about their (am I allowed to say
> this?) descent into madness - they used to be intelligent, clever and
> talented - but I can't help also feeling sorry for the elderly people
> who thought they were going to have a peaceful time before they turned
> up their toes.
>
> I'm fairly sure it would be impossible to identify them from what I
> have written so far (nobody known to umra anyway AFAIK) but you'll
> appreciate why I won't say any more. I just feel more open, these
> days, to the possibility that a hospice might evict a patient if it
> were in the interest of the quality of life of the other patients.
>
> Nick

I have certainly seen and heard of people (with dementia) being moved - but
it’s likely that the person is in somewhere which isn’t registered to care
for the advanced cases. My stepmum was one who had respite care in a home
that only took very mild cases. She deteriorated so fast, they took her in
on e too many. Somehow, my very prim, mild quiet stepmum managed to stop
staff from getting out of the care home. I had to go and get her back to
hers in a taxi! Fortunately she came with me willingly.

One of several times I wished I had been somewhere I couldn’t get back
from!!

Mrs McT