From: pluscher@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: RE: I am a chump
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:37:39 +0000
 by: PipL - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:37 UTC

The Energica no longer sports a sticker on the dash saying "SIDESTAND".
Instead it has a functioning switch, courtesy of a luckless S1000RR and
an automotive connector courtesy of RS Components.

I had hard-wired the cable to the "up" state while waiting for bits.

Finding the right crimp terminals for the connector housing was the
usual faff of hunting through RS's site, reading datasheets and trying
to find the right keyword for the very limited search engine and then
praying a bit that one has actually ordered the right parts. Why they
(and Farnell for that matter) don't have a link to suitable contacts is
a mystery.

In days of yore I wouldn't have bothered: side stand switches were an
extravagant luxury. On this bike, the stand bolts onto the cast alloy
battery casing and, once activated, the bike throttle remains "live"
unless one hits the kill switch or switches off entirely, so I felt that
the switch was more than a luxury.

Interestingly it has three connections: up, down and common, and it
switches break-before-make. There is a neat bit of programmed hysteresis
in that to transition states from down to up, just opening the down
switch is not enough: the up switch has to close. Once registered as up,
the same applies but in reverse: the up switch has to open and the down
switch has to close, else the state doesn't change.

--
Pip

CHUMP #1

Re: I am a chump

<uk05qr$3ck10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19489&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19489

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 19:20:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 19:20 UTC

PipL <pluscher@nowhere.nul> wrote:
> The Energica no longer sports a sticker on the dash saying "SIDESTAND".
> Instead it has a functioning switch, courtesy of a luckless S1000RR and
> an automotive connector courtesy of RS Components.
>
> I had hard-wired the cable to the "up" state while waiting for bits.
>
> Finding the right crimp terminals for the connector housing was the
> usual faff of hunting through RS's site, reading datasheets and trying
> to find the right keyword for the very limited search engine and then
> praying a bit that one has actually ordered the right parts. Why they
> (and Farnell for that matter) don't have a link to suitable contacts is
> a mystery.
>
> In days of yore I wouldn't have bothered: side stand switches were an
> extravagant luxury. On this bike, the stand bolts onto the cast alloy
> battery casing and, once activated, the bike throttle remains "live"
> unless one hits the kill switch or switches off entirely, so I felt that
> the switch was more than a luxury.
>
> Interestingly it has three connections: up, down and common, and it
> switches break-before-make. There is a neat bit of programmed hysteresis
> in that to transition states from down to up, just opening the down
> switch is not enough: the up switch has to close. Once registered as up,
> the same applies but in reverse: the up switch has to open and the down
> switch has to close, else the state doesn't change.

Thanks for documenting that... hopefully, someone will benefit
from this.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao