I'll eat ANYTHING that's BRIGHT BLUE!!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Christmas Bears

SubjectAuthor
* Christmas BearsTony Smith
+* Christmas BearsJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Christmas BearsJoe Kerr
| `- Christmas BearsSam Plusnet
+* Christmas BearsIain Archer
|`- Christmas BearsJoe Kerr
+* Christmas BearsMike McMillan
|`* Christmas BearsBrritSki
| `- Christmas BearsVicky
`- Christmas BearsClive Arthur

1
Christmas Bears

<63f6fb80-cdcf-4728-a455-a0000d32f60dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19543&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19543

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Christmas Bears
From: agsmith578688@gmail.com (Tony Smith)
 by: Tony Smith - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:37 UTC

At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of polar b
ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.

What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.

Re: Christmas Bears

<cliweVUD0kdlFwGd@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19549&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19549

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:42:59 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Christmas Bears
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:42 UTC

In message <63f6fb80-cdcf-4728-a455-a0000d32f60dn@googlegroups.com> at
Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57, Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> writes
>At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of polar b
>ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>
>What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
>think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
>Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.

I guess virtually no connection with Christ-mas. (I didn't know about
the biblical bears; sounds like a fun story!)

However, a large proportion of the population no longer makes the
Christian connection with Christmas, and just instead connects it with
the cold weather (maybe even some race memory of winter solstice
activities), and polar bears probably seem reasonable for that (and bear
cubs, like most baby animals, are appealing): I certainly wouldn't find
it objectionable. (And I apologise to anyone if my saying so _does_
cause offence - it's certainly not intended.)

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

Re: Christmas Bears

<ul5jjn$2s3mj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19550&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19550

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:03:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:03 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57 -0800, Tony Smith wrote:

> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of
> polar b ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>
> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.

Do they throw snowballs?

Re: Christmas Bears

<ul5lej$2sbgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19552&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19552

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:34:25 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:34 UTC

On 10/12/2023 23:42, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <63f6fb80-cdcf-4728-a455-a0000d32f60dn@googlegroups.com> at
> Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57, Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> writes
>> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family
>> of polar b
>> ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>>
>> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
>> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
>> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.
>
> I guess virtually no connection with Christ-mas. (I didn't know about
> the biblical bears; sounds like a fun story!)
>
> However, a large proportion of the population no longer makes the
> Christian connection with Christmas, and just instead connects it with
> the cold weather (maybe even some race memory of winter solstice
> activities), and polar bears probably seem reasonable for that (and bear
> cubs, like most baby animals, are appealing): I certainly wouldn't find
> it objectionable. (And I apologise to anyone if my saying so _does_
> cause offence - it's certainly not intended.)

You mean the bit about Christ throwing the merchants and money changers
out of the temple and condemning their avarice and shady practices?

--
Ric

Re: Christmas Bears

<ul5lhf$2sbgf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19553&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19553

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:35:59 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:35 UTC

On 11/12/2023 00:03, Iain Archer wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57 -0800, Tony Smith wrote:
>
>> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of
>> polar b ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>>
>> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
>> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
>> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.
>
> Do they throw snowballs?

No, not in the woods

--
Ric

Re: Christmas Bears

<4gtdN.2866$N2w8.603@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19556&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19556

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:06:07 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:06 UTC

On 11-Dec-23 0:34, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 23:42, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <63f6fb80-cdcf-4728-a455-a0000d32f60dn@googlegroups.com> at
>> Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:37:57, Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> writes
>>> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family
>>> of polar b
>>> ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>>>
>>> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
>>> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
>>> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.
>>
>> I guess virtually no connection with Christ-mas. (I didn't know about
>> the biblical bears; sounds like a fun story!)
>>
>> However, a large proportion of the population no longer makes the
>> Christian connection with Christmas, and just instead connects it with
>> the cold weather (maybe even some race memory of winter solstice
>> activities), and polar bears probably seem reasonable for that (and
>> bear cubs, like most baby animals, are appealing): I certainly
>> wouldn't find it objectionable. (And I apologise to anyone if my
>> saying so _does_ cause offence - it's certainly not intended.)
>
> You mean the bit about Christ throwing the merchants and money changers
> out of the temple and condemning their avarice and shady practices?

I think he was objecting to the lack of zoning restrictions, and wanted
them moved to a business location (where the avarice and shady practices
would have presumably been OK).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Christmas Bears

<ul6k3g$33tao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19561&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19561

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:17:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ulD2ytdpJhQu+fjRsTiP2qtreCU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:17 UTC

Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of polar b
> ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>
> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.

Polar Bears, North Pole, Father Christmas’s home / workshop / elves?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Christmas Bears

<kto37dFp3hlU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19566&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19566

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:31:25 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:31 UTC

On 11/12/2023 09:17, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Tony Smith <agsmith578688@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of polar b
>> ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>>
>> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can
>> think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked
>> Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.
>>

> Polar Bears, North Pole, Father Christmas’s home / workshop / elves?

JRR Tolkien's Father Christmas letters to his children were written in
the 30's and featured FC and North Polar Bear as his assistant.

I continued the tradition with a picture and shaky writing when my
children were young and started again when the AGCs came along, but they
are getting to the age when then no longer believe :(

This pic shows NPB breaking the North Pole which has a red bandage on in
all subsequent pictures.
https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2020/12/281.jpg

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/out-and-about/theatre-film-music/with-love-from-father-christmas-j-r-r-tolkiens-enchanting-christmas-letters-to-his-children-220828

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/tolkien-favorite-father-christmas-santa-holiday-letters

Re: Christmas Bears

<ul6qar$34orh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19573&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19573

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:03:54 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:03 UTC

On 10/12/2023 20:37, Tony Smith wrote:
> At least two stationers here have cards with a mother and cub family of polar b
> ears. One even has a Christmasy message inside.
>
> What is the connection with Christmas? The only biblical bears I can think of are the ones that ate some cheeky teenagers who had mocked Elisha. And there is no reason to think they were white.

The holly bear's a berry. At least, that's how I used to hear it. Who
the holly bear was, and why he was a berry, I don't know. God works in
mysterious ways.

And of course, there's Gladly, my cross-eyed bear.
--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Christmas Bears

<j5udnitf82hfgvsacdio60bcgpa6k3cap4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19574&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19574

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:02:44 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:02 UTC

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:31:25 +0000, BrritSki
<rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:

>JRR Tolkien's Father Christmas letters to his children were written in
>the 30's and featured FC and North Polar Bear as his assistant.
>
>I continued the tradition with a picture and shaky writing when my
>children were young and started again when the AGCs came along, but they
>are getting to the age when then no longer believe :(

Granddaughter, 7, last year wrote back to Santa after she got a letter
from him and grandson, 6 then, met Santa at the Xmas fete and thanked
him. I only did the letter for him this year and he was going to thank
Santa again :) I did also send him a book, the story of Chanukah, and
he found mum's candelabra and wanted to light the candles.
Granddaughter did make Chanuka biscuits, so all bases were covered.