Did I SELL OUT yet??

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT for most: Google Groups

SubjectAuthor
* OT for most: Google GroupsNick Odell
+* OT for most: Google GroupsBen Blaney
|+* OT for most: Google GroupsSam Plusnet
||+* OT for most: Google GroupsJohn Ashby
|||+- OT for most: Google GroupsMike McMillan
|||`* OT for most: Google Groupskrw
||| `* OT for most: Google Groupskrw
|||  +* OT for most: Google GroupsMike McMillan
|||  |`- OT for most: Google GroupsJ. P. Gilliver
|||  `* OT for most: Google GroupsSam Plusnet
|||   `* OT for most: Google Groupskrw
|||    `* OT for most: Google GroupsKate B
|||     `* OT for most: Google Groupskrw
|||      `* OT for most: Google GroupsKate B
|||       `* OT for most: Google GroupsBrritSki
|||        `- OT for most: Google Groupskrw
||+- OT for most: Google GroupsSally Thompson
||`- OT for most: Google GroupsJ. P. Gilliver
|+* OT for most: Google GroupsNick Odell
||`- OT for most: Google GroupsBrritSki
|`- OT for most: Google GroupsRosie Mitchell
+- OT for most: Google GroupsVicky
`* OT for most: Google GroupsChris J Dixon
 +* OT for most: Google GroupsNick Odell
 |`* OT for most: Google GroupsBrritSki
 | `* OT for most: Google GroupsNick Odell
 |  `- OT for most: Google GroupsBrritSki
 `* OT for most: Google GroupsJim Easterbrook
  `* OT for most: Google GroupsJim Easterbrook
   +- OT for most: Google GroupsJ. P. Gilliver
   `- OT for most: Google GroupsNick Odell

Pages:12
Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<5dadnZti0IlvQ-P4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19767&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19767

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 11:43:47 +0000
Subject: Re: OT for most: Google Groups
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 11:43 UTC

On 16.12.23 18:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> Yes, but do you still have the funny going's-on after the downgrade?
>
> I too see messages with the wrong attributions (in 115.5.2).
> Jolly confusing and (in some groups) designed to cause lots of shouting
> when innocent parties get accused of saying... whatever it was someone
> else actually said.

All of the odd attributions have gone away. The headers in the middle
of messages have gone away.

The problem remaining is that there is a message header - but the
message is blank. The only solution I have found is to close and
restart Thunderbird and not only the missing message appears but all the
others posted since the process locked up. But that was there before
the upgrade.

I have just reset the system so that instead of looking every 5 minutes
for new messages it will be every 10 minutes (rather than once a day as
used to be the case on dial up).

I think the process is locking up in some way - possibly the server
plusnet uses gets fed up.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<ku8eurF1r7bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19774&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19774

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:29:47 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:29 UTC

On 17/12/2023 11:43, krw wrote:
> On 16.12.23 18:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> Yes, but do you still have the funny going's-on after the downgrade?
>>
>> I too see messages with the wrong attributions (in 115.5.2).
>> Jolly confusing and (in some groups) designed to cause lots of
>> shouting when innocent parties get accused of saying... whatever it
>> was someone else actually said.
>
> All of the odd attributions have gone away.  The headers in the middle
> of messages have gone away.
>
> The problem remaining is that there is a message header - but the
> message is blank.  The only solution I have found is to close and
> restart Thunderbird and not only the missing message appears but all the
> others posted since the process locked up.  But that was there before
> the upgrade.
>
> I have just reset the system so that instead of looking every 5 minutes
> for new messages it will be every 10 minutes (rather than once a day as
> used to be the case on dial up).
>
> I think the process is locking up in some way - possibly the server
> plusnet uses gets fed up.
>
> Any other suggestions welcomed.

For those getting problems with TB - how do you set your display view?
Do you have folder, list and message panes? I just have folder and list
(now set to 'unread' via menu) and never see any of the problems you
describe. I just 'f' through the posts (so to speak) which come
dutifully up in the list pane just like emails.

--
Kate B

Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<g4acnar0Y69mHuL4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19782&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19782

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:27:54 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
References: <pftoni517fek03i9gqrlr2mdvq2tgf518h@4ax.com> <a761ec00-86fa-4c26-b155-527314690694n@googlegroups.com> <H51fN.57896$83n7.28535@fx18.iad> <uli7qd$214kh$1@dont-email.me> <L0mdnX8Ycud_6OD4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <_4ucnQ_7FOno5eD4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <FSlfN.17482$woU1.10090@fx13.ams1> <5dadnZti0IlvQ-P4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <ku8eurF1r7bU1@mid.individual.net>
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 23:27 UTC

On 17.12.23 14:29, Kate B wrote:
> On 17/12/2023 11:43, krw wrote:
>> On 16.12.23 18:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> Yes, but do you still have the funny going's-on after the downgrade?
>>>
>>> I too see messages with the wrong attributions (in 115.5.2).
>>> Jolly confusing and (in some groups) designed to cause lots of
>>> shouting when innocent parties get accused of saying... whatever it
>>> was someone else actually said.
>>
>> All of the odd attributions have gone away.  The headers in the middle
>> of messages have gone away.
>>
>> The problem remaining is that there is a message header - but the
>> message is blank.  The only solution I have found is to close and
>> restart Thunderbird and not only the missing message appears but all
>> the others posted since the process locked up.  But that was there
>> before the upgrade.
>>
>> I have just reset the system so that instead of looking every 5
>> minutes for new messages it will be every 10 minutes (rather than once
>> a day as used to be the case on dial up).
>>
>> I think the process is locking up in some way - possibly the server
>> plusnet uses gets fed up.
>>
>> Any other suggestions welcomed.
>>

> For those getting problems with TB - how do you set your display view?
> Do you have folder, list and message panes? I just have folder and list
> (now set to 'unread' via menu) and never see any of the problems you
> describe. I just 'f' through the posts (so to speak) which come
> dutifully up in the list pane just like emails.

Folder pane, list of messages, message pane reading left to right.

I always use the space bar to move onwards and one of the failures of
Supernova is that if you respond to a message the focus moves to the
message pane. In 102 after sending the response you can hit the space
bar and move to the next unread message - in 115 nothing happens and I
start swearing at the computer.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<kuamlmFhrsgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19787&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19787

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:53:43 +0000
 by: Kate B - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:53 UTC

On 17/12/2023 23:27, krw wrote:
> On 17.12.23 14:29, Kate B wrote:

>>> All of the odd attributions have gone away.  The headers in the
>>> middle of messages have gone away.
>>>
>>> The problem remaining is that there is a message header - but the
>>> message is blank.  The only solution I have found is to close and
>>> restart Thunderbird and not only the missing message appears but all
>>> the others posted since the process locked up.  But that was there
>>> before the upgrade.
>>>
>>> I have just reset the system so that instead of looking every 5
>>> minutes for new messages it will be every 10 minutes (rather than
>>> once a day as used to be the case on dial up).
>>>
>>> I think the process is locking up in some way - possibly the server
>>> plusnet uses gets fed up.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions welcomed.
>>>

>> For those getting problems with TB - how do you set your display view?
>> Do you have folder, list and message panes? I just have folder and
>> list (now set to 'unread' via menu) and never see any of the problems
>> you describe. I just 'f' through the posts (so to speak) which come
>> dutifully up in the list pane just like emails.
>>
> Folder pane, list of messages, message pane reading left to right.
>
> I always use the space bar to move onwards and one of the failures of
> Supernova is that if you respond to a message the focus moves to the
> message pane.  In 102 after sending the response you can hit the space
> bar and move to the next unread message - in 115 nothing happens and I
> start swearing at the computer.

Space bar for me has only paged down the open message, for ages and
ages. I find the combination of F to move to the next unread and space
to move down very efficient.

I'm wondering if having the message pane always open is delaying or
confusing things? I really never see any of the confusions or blank
pages that others seem to do.

--
Kate B

Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<kuamqsFi9m7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19788&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19788

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:56:29 +0000
<H51fN.57896$83n7.28535@fx18.iad> <uli7qd$214kh$1@dont-email.me>
<L0mdnX8Ycud_6OD4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<_4ucnQ_7FOno5eD4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<FSlfN.17482$woU1.10090@fx13.ams1>
<5dadnZti0IlvQ-P4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<ku8eurF1r7bU1@mid.individual.net>
<g4acnar0Y69mHuL4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<kuamlmFhrsgU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: BrritSki - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:56 UTC

On 18/12/2023 10:53, Kate B wrote:
> On 17/12/2023 23:27, krw wrote:

>>> For those getting problems with TB - how do you set your display
>>> view? Do you have folder, list and message panes? I just have folder
>>> and list (now set to 'unread' via menu) and never see any of the
>>> problems you describe. I just 'f' through the posts (so to speak)
>>> which come dutifully up in the list pane just like emails.
>>>
>> Folder pane, list of messages, message pane reading left to right.
>>
>> I always use the space bar to move onwards and one of the failures of
>> Supernova is that if you respond to a message the focus moves to the
>> message pane.  In 102 after sending the response you can hit the space
>> bar and move to the next unread message - in 115 nothing happens and I
>> start swearing at the computer.
>
> Space bar for me has only paged down the open message, for ages and
> ages. I find the combination of F to move to the next unread and space
> to move down very efficient.
>
> I'm wondering if having the message pane always open is delaying or
> confusing things? I really never see any of the confusions or blank
> pages that others seem to do.

LW

Re: OT for most: Google Groups

<czydnTuIH8sU-R34nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19793&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19793

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:26:03 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
<kuamlmFhrsgU1@mid.individual.net> <kuamqsFi9m7U1@mid.individual.net>
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:26 UTC

On 18.12.23 10:56, BrritSki wrote:
> On 18/12/2023 10:53, Kate B wrote:

>>> Folder pane, list of messages, message pane reading left to right.
>>>
>>> I always use the space bar to move onwards and one of the failures of
>>> Supernova is that if you respond to a message the focus moves to the
>>> message pane.  In 102 after sending the response you can hit the
>>> space bar and move to the next unread message - in 115 nothing
>>> happens and I start swearing at the computer.
>>
>> Space bar for me has only paged down the open message, for ages and
>> ages. I find the combination of F to move to the next unread and space
>> to move down very efficient.
>>
>> I'm wondering if having the message pane always open is delaying or
>> confusing things? I really never see any of the confusions or blank
>> pages that others seem to do.
>>
> LW

Well I can say that at the moment I am not that keen on attempting to
use Supernova again.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk