Be frank and explicit with your lawyer ... it is his business to confuse the issue afterwards.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / RIP Roy Tucker

SubjectAuthor
* RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
+* RIP Roy TuckerVicky
|+* RIP Roy TuckerKate B
||+- RIP Roy TuckerJohn Ashby
||`- RIP Roy TuckerChris
|`* RIP Roy TuckerNick Odell
| `- RIP Roy TuckerSam Plusnet
`* RIP Roy TuckerJohn Doe
 +- RIP Roy TuckerPaul Herber
 +* RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
 |+* RIP Roy TuckerChris
 ||`* RIP Roy TuckerWenlock
 || `- RIP Roy TuckerMike McMillan
 |`* RIP Roy TuckerNick Odell
 | +* RIP Roy TuckerBrritSki
 | |`* RIP Roy TuckerMike McMillan
 | | `- RIP Roy TuckerBrritSki
 | `* RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
 |  `* RIP Roy TuckerJ. P. Gilliver
 |   `- RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
 +* RIP Roy TuckerBrritSki
 |+* RIP Roy TuckerBen Blaney
 ||`- RIP Roy TuckerChris
 |`- RIP Roy TuckerMike McMillan
 +* RIP Roy Tuckerkrw
 |`- RIP Roy TuckerWenlock
 +* RIP Roy TuckerPaul Herber
 |`* RIP Roy TuckerMike McMillan
 | +* RIP Roy TuckerPaul Herber
 | |`- RIP Roy TuckerMike McMillan
 | `- RIP Roy TuckerRosie Mitchell
 +* RIP Roy TuckerChris
 |`* RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
 | `* RIP Roy TuckerJ. P. Gilliver
 |  +- RIP Roy TuckerPenny
 |  `* RIP Roy TuckerSerena Blanchflower
 |   `- RIP Roy TuckerWenlock
 `* RIP Roy TuckerRosie Mitchell
  `* RIP Roy TuckerJ. P. Gilliver
   `- RIP Roy TuckerPenny

Pages:12
RIP Roy Tucker

<um6mcc$20i5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19959&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19959

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: RIP Roy Tucker
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12 UTC

I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
pub he ran, when not running GG.
https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood

I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
--
Best wishes, Serena
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." - Eleanor

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<cvodoidkvbdjtmrnh3g4qo9qu4uo34p445@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19963&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19963

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: RIP Roy Tucker
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:48:18 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:48 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>pub he ran, when not running GG.
>https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>
>I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.

Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
or anywhere I can find

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<kuo9m8Fd1buU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19965&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19965

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:38:01 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:38 UTC

On 23/12/2023 13:48, Vicky wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>
>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>
> Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
> they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
> or anywhere I can find

Not a hoax, sadly. Look at his pub page, link above from Serena.

--
Kate B

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<litdoipkbnlfq0h2k7iiurbgnaaqqdg7cf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19971&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19971

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:03:29 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:03 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:48:18 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
><nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>>night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>>pub he ran, when not running GG.
>>https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>
>>I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>>get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>>nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>
>Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
>they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
>or anywhere I can find

Like you, I would have suspected a facebook hoax in the absence of a
more reliable source but within the last few minutes I see both the
Daily Mail and the Guardian are carrying the story. So sorry to hear
this: he was only 53.

Nick

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um6ss6$23r1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19972&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19972

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:03:34 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:03 UTC

On 23/12/2023 14:38, Kate B wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 13:48, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>>> night, which is sad news.  It's been announced on the FB page for the
>>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>>
>>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy.  I hope he's allowed to
>>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>>
>> Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
>> they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
>> or anywhere I can find
>
> Not a hoax, sadly. Look at his pub page, link above from Serena.

And announced on R4 News just as I was reading this (and listening via
Alexa - Thread Merge).

john

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<WNFhN.57305$vFZa.37204@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19978&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19978

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:37:42 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:37 UTC

On 23-Dec-23 15:03, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:48:18 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>>
>>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>>
>> Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
>> they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
>> or anywhere I can find
>
> Like you, I would have suspected a facebook hoax in the absence of a
> more reliable source but within the last few minutes I see both the
> Daily Mail and the Guardian are carrying the story. So sorry to hear
> this: he was only 53.

The BBC website sayeth "after a long illness", so TA has had plenty of
time to consider their way of managing the situation.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um7aki$26849$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19979&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19979

From: john.doe@myemail.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58 UTC

On Dec 23, 2023 at 8:12:44 AM EST, "Serena Blanchflower"
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
> pub he ran, when not running GG.
> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood

Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
appreciated how Ian played him.

> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.

There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.

And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil (which, as a matter of sheer
tragic probability, you have to expect once in a while), and now there's a
compounded problem.

I appreciate the introduction of a new younger set of characters (Chelsea,
Brad, Paul, Rex, Toby, Harrison), but they really need to think this through
and unfortunately I think Ambridge will have to have a lot of funerals in the
next couple of years.

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<adceoipqndouvjv7ikg27dep5vd18qc0in@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19985&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19985

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:21:39 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:21 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:

>On Dec 23, 2023 at 8:12:44 AM EST, "Serena Blanchflower"
><nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>
>Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
>appreciated how Ian played him.
>
>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>
>There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
>around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
>Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
>because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
>had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
>much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
>100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>
>And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
>Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil

Very appropriate as I once saw Ian play Hamlet at a theatre in Oxford.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um7e76$20i5j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19987&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19987

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:59:34 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:59 UTC

On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:
> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
> demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
> around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
> Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
> because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
> had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
> much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
> 100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.

One thing which aggravates the problem is that several of the actors are
significantly older than the characters they play. For example, Shula's
only in her mid sixties, but her close friend, Judy Bennett, is eighty.

> And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
> Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil (which, as a matter of sheer
> tragic probability, you have to expect once in a while), and now there's a
> compounded problem.
>
> I appreciate the introduction of a new younger set of characters (Chelsea,
> Brad, Paul, Rex, Toby, Harrison), but they really need to think this through
> and unfortunately I think Ambridge will have to have a lot of funerals in the
> next couple of years.

There will certainly be a few, but I suspect there will also be a few
more characters following Shula's example, and moving away from Ambridge
(and I hope Roy will be amongst this number), or becoming long term
silent characters like Robert.

They are certainly moving the focus onto the younger generation, with
the previous younger generation, moving into retirement and becoming
less prominent.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer (Dalai Lama)

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<kuouadFcekuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19991&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19991

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:30:04 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:30 UTC

On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:

Hello John, are you new here ?
Or is this a new alias - or me not paying attention ?

<snip much good sense>

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um7j3n$27jrd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19993&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19993

From: benblaney@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:23:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:23 UTC

On Dec 23, 2023 at 3:30:04 PM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:
>
> Hello John, are you new here ?
> Or is this a new alias - or me not paying attention

Hi, no, it was me. I just set up - not fully, it turns out - a new newsreader
(Usenapp with Eternal September) planning for the end of Google Groups. I
thought about it, and I realized I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to my
friends from umra and uk.rec.motorcycles (though sadly, like the good denizens
of Ambridge, we've said goodbye to some already).

> <snip much good sense>

There's a first time for everything!

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um8t05$2gte9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20008&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20008

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:17:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8yu3SMeKvlTKy8EwJ7Ag9d1hGfA=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:17 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:
>
> Hello John, are you new here ?
> Or is this a new alias - or me not paying attention ?
>
> <snip much good sense>

Are you married to Jane? EMNTK!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<Yk2dnSceDZs9mxX4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20010&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20010

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:23:29 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:23 UTC

On 23.12.23 18:58, John Doe wrote:
> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
> demographic needs to solve.

Caused by the SoC ditching the long term plan and consequently just not
enough Archers. I blame the management.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um97lv$2ih92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20011&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20011

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:20:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yRDjlC+o73wuSRCgUw2Qd1JErQM=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:20 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 23.12.23 18:58, John Doe wrote:
>> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>> demographic needs to solve.
>
> Caused by the SoC ditching the long term plan and consequently just not
> enough Archers. I blame the management.

Yes. We are living with Long Sean O’Connor.

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9f5v$2jk5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20024&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20024

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:28:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hxO8XhAWL1T4jNDNlDT1rDKoi2w=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:28 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 13:48, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:12:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>>
>>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>>
>> Ah that' who he was. They said he died on fb but not who he was. But
>> they also said it was a hoax,,, not on scopes or announced on BBC news
>> or anywhere I can find
>
> Not a hoax, sadly. Look at his pub page, link above from Serena.

This morning’s omnibore was in his memory. I remembered to look on the
beeb’s site when a TA friend sent me the link. She was more on the ball
than me!

Mrs McT

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<q6ggoi12t23lutvh30lasu99l88htg18pr@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20025&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20025

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:32:14 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:32 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:

>On Dec 23, 2023 at 8:12:44 AM EST, "Serena Blanchflower"
><nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>
>Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
>appreciated how Ian played him.
>
>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>
>There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
>around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
>Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
>because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
>had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
>much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
>100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>
>And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
>Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil

Very appropriate as I once saw Ian play Hamlet at a theatre in Oxford.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9g8q$2jp7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20026&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20026

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:46:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:F2PZ+yueuG9+Zl9K2jO9I082ak4=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:46 UTC

John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2023 at 8:12:44 AM EST, "Serena Blanchflower"
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>
> Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
> appreciated how Ian played him.
>
>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>
> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
> demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
> around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
> Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
> because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
> had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
> much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
> 100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>
> And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
> Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil (which, as a matter of sheer
> tragic probability, you have to expect once in a while), and now there's a
> compounded problem.
>
> I appreciate the introduction of a new younger set of characters (Chelsea,
> Brad, Paul, Rex, Toby, Harrison), but they really need to think this through
> and unfortunately I think Ambridge will have to have a lot of funerals in the
> next couple of years.

We know Peggoi’s close friend says she doesn’t mind what happens to her
character. We’ve heard nothing of a Robert replacement. He still gets the
occasional name check.

And no decision re StS. Or why did she return anyway?

Mrs McT

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9g8q$2jp7q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20027&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20027

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:46:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Lx5qQZjBUbO6yQlM97FAwPHimqY=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:46 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:
>> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>> demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
>> around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
>> Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
>> because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
>> had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
>> much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
>> 100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>
> One thing which aggravates the problem is that several of the actors are
> significantly older than the characters they play. For example, Shula's
> only in her mid sixties, but her close friend, Judy Bennett, is eighty.
>
>> And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
>> Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil (which, as a matter of sheer
>> tragic probability, you have to expect once in a while), and now there's a
>> compounded problem.
>>
>> I appreciate the introduction of a new younger set of characters (Chelsea,
>> Brad, Paul, Rex, Toby, Harrison), but they really need to think this through
>> and unfortunately I think Ambridge will have to have a lot of funerals in the
>> next couple of years.
>
> There will certainly be a few, but I suspect there will also be a few
> more characters following Shula's example, and moving away from Ambridge
> (and I hope Roy will be amongst this number), or becoming long term
> silent characters like Robert.
>
> They are certainly moving the focus onto the younger generation, with
> the previous younger generation, moving into retirement and becoming
> less prominent.

Roy had been appointed a post in the new GG though: write back when it was
closed down.. I wonder if his condition made them rewrite Ian’s future
very recently. It’s been a well written part if so.

Mrs McT

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9g8r$2jp7q$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20028&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20028

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:46:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tTIK7juIGosAuJ+58Lc9EATxRfY=

Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2023 at 3:30:04 PM EST, "BrritSki" <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 23/12/2023 18:58, John Doe wrote:
>>
>> Hello John, are you new here ?
>> Or is this a new alias - or me not paying attention
>
> Hi, no, it was me. I just set up - not fully, it turns out - a new newsreader
> (Usenapp with Eternal September) planning for the end of Google Groups. I
> thought about it, and I realized I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to my
> friends from umra and uk.rec.motorcycles (though sadly, like the good denizens
> of Ambridge, we've said goodbye to some already).
>
>> <snip much good sense>
>
> There's a first time for everything!

Welcome back Ben!

Mrs McT

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9g96$2jp92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20029&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20029

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:47:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jNBKoD5DpOOCgMNWhXvARumiFA4=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:47 UTC

Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 23, 2023 at 8:12:44 AM EST, "Serena Blanchflower"
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just heard that Roy Tucker's good friend, Ian Pepperell, died last
>>> night, which is sad news. It's been announced on the FB page for the
>>> pub he ran, when not running GG.
>>> https://www.facebook.com/thestarinnringwood
>>
>> Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
>> appreciated how Ian played him.
>>
>>> I wonder what they will decide to do about Roy. I hope he's allowed to
>>> get a really good job, managing a country house hotel somewhere a bit
>>> nearer Birmingham and to move away to a bright future.
>>
>> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>> demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
>> around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
>> Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
>> because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
>> had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
>> much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
>> 100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>>
>> And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
>> Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil
>
> Very appropriate as I once saw Ian play Hamlet at a theatre in Oxford.

You went twice?!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9h31$2jt6k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20034&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20034

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:00:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RmLZUnjVlVnvCjii2JGEPyaPPPc=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:00 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>> One thing which aggravates the problem is that several of the actors are
>> significantly older than the characters they play. For example, Shula's
>> only in her mid sixties, but her close friend, Judy Bennett, is eighty.
>>
>> There will certainly be a few, but I suspect there will also be a few
>> more characters following Shula's example, and moving away from Ambridge
>> (and I hope Roy will be amongst this number), or becoming long term
>> silent characters like Robert.
>>
>> They are certainly moving the focus onto the younger generation, with
>> the previous younger generation, moving into retirement and becoming
>> less prominent.
>>

> Roy had been appointed a post in the new GG though: write back when it was
> closed down.. I wonder if his condition made them rewrite Ian’s future
> very recently. It’s been a well written part if so.

I think it quite possible that Roy will be recast, as he is in his mid-40s
and so potentially has many years of spreadsheets ahead of him. Robert, I’m
sure, won’t be, nor the Three Weird Sisters-in-Law.

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9k14$2kddg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20039&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20039

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:51:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RXPh2VZvWtWVbiWWBfNdIHmcnqk=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:51 UTC

Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>> One thing which aggravates the problem is that several of the actors are
>>> significantly older than the characters they play. For example, Shula's
>>> only in her mid sixties, but her close friend, Judy Bennett, is eighty.
>>>
>>> There will certainly be a few, but I suspect there will also be a few
>>> more characters following Shula's example, and moving away from Ambridge
>>> (and I hope Roy will be amongst this number), or becoming long term
>>> silent characters like Robert.
>>>
>>> They are certainly moving the focus onto the younger generation, with
>>> the previous younger generation, moving into retirement and becoming
>>> less prominent.
>>>

>> Roy had been appointed a post in the new GG though: write back when it was
>> closed down.. I wonder if his condition made them rewrite Ian’s future
>> very recently. It’s been a well written part if so.
>
> I think it quite possible that Roy will be recast, as he is in his mid-40s
> and so potentially has many years of spreadsheets ahead of him. Robert, I’m
> sure, won’t be, nor the Three Weird Sisters-in-Law.

Would Roy have to keep a lookout for Vince if he stays?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<6bogoi9gde6mkie0thhuu30nsl86e2ol51@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20042&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20042

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:52:08 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:52 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:47:02 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
wrote:

>Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe <john.doe@myemail.invalid> wrote:

>>> Dreadfully sad. I didn't like Roy's character much (boring), but I really
>>> appreciated how Ian played him.

>>> There's another question here for the scriptwriters. They have an urgent
>>> demographic needs to solve. They've got Peggy, Chris and Jill who are all
>>> around a hundred. Then there are a ton in their 70s and 80s (Brian, Oliver,
>>> Justin,Shula, Kenton, Tony, Jim, Eddie, Linda, Robert). This is a crisis,
>>> because some of the actors have already died and had to be written out, some
>>> had had traumatic medical events and have had to be written out. It feels very
>>> much like they are shy of killing off characters. But for those knocking on
>>> 100, that seems unfair on the listener and the actor.
>>>
>>> And now we're at a point where people in the prime of their lives, like poor
>>> Ian Pepperell are shuffling off this mortal coil
>>
>> Very appropriate as I once saw Ian play Hamlet at a theatre in Oxford.
>>

>You went twice?!

Bis, bis.
How did that message get sent again? Shrug.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9qn7$2lf7r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20046&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20046

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:45:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PRV/StPF85mJJlwev0NNUlNWIbU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:45 UTC

Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:47:02 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Very appropriate as I once saw Ian play Hamlet at a theatre in Oxford.
>>>

>> You went twice?!
>
> Bis, bis.
> How did that message get sent again? Shrug.

I do it quite often - must be catching.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: RIP Roy Tucker

<um9squ$2h3qh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20051&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20051

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:21:18 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:21 UTC

On 24/12/2023 14:46, Chris wrote:
> We know Peggoi’s close friend says she doesn’t mind what happens to her
> character. We’ve heard nothing of a Robert replacement. He still gets the
> occasional name check.

I suspect that Robert will be kept in the silents' cupboard for some
time before, when it suite the story lines, he will be forget to wake up
one morning or, perhaps Jim will find him dead in the hide at Arkwright
Lake.

I think they've probably decided that Peggy will outlive her close
friend and will be allowed to live, quietly, at The Laurels for a few years.

> And no decision re StS. Or why did she return anyway?

My guess is that Shula is going to remain generally silent (and in
Sunderland) but may return on the occasional visit to Ambridge and if
her friend, Judy Bennett, is happy to make a matching visit to
Birmingham, we'll hear her but, if she's not feeling up to it - or just
doesn't want to - we'll only hear about her, rather than actually
hearing her.

--
Best wishes, Serena
The only thing we have in common is that we are all different