Brogan's Constant: People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the front of the bus.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: To-day's yoof

SubjectAuthor
* OT: To-day's yoofJenny M Benson
+- OT: To-day's yoofSam Plusnet
`* OT: To-day's yoofChris
 +- OT: To-day's yoofMike McMillan
 `* OT: To-day's yoofVicky
  +- OT: To-day's yoofJ. P. Gilliver
  `* OT: To-day's yoofNick Odell
   +* OT: To-day's yoofSam Plusnet
   |+- OT: To-day's yoofMike McMillan
   |+* OT: To-day's yoofMike McMillan
   ||`* OT: To-day's yoofSam Plusnet
   || +* OT: To-day's yoofRosie Mitchell
   || |`* OT: To-day's yoofMike McMillan
   || | `* OT: To-day's yoofRosie Mitchell
   || |  `* OT: To-day's yoofJohn Armstrong
   || |   +- OT: To-day's yoofJoe Kerr
   || |   `- OT: To-day's yoofMike McMillan
   || `- OT: To-day's yoofNick Odell
   |`- OT: To-day's yoofChris
   `* OT: To-day's yoofChris
    `- OT: To-day's yoofNick Odell

1
OT: To-day's yoof

<kue5kiF9iuuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19827&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19827

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: To-day's yoof
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:27:29 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:27 UTC

Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
allowing them to go to the loo during class. "It's your human right!"
asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself." I had to
restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.

(I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<4zmgN.23395$woU1.8303@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19830&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19830

Subject: Re: OT: To-day's yoof
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 19:55:44 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 19:55 UTC

On 19-Dec-23 18:27, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
> allowing them to go to the loo during class.  "It's your human right!"
> asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself."  I had to
> restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
> class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
> surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
> hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.
>
> (I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)

Reminds me of those Armstrong & Miller RAF pilot sketches.

Very keen on "rights"(real or imagined). Less well informed on duties
and responsibilities.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<ulv0au$jokr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19845&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19845

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5rbeLHDIMd31kUWio2Cq30vvgdc=
 by: Chris - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
> allowing them to go to the loo during class. "It's your human right!"
> asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself." I had to
> restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
> class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
> surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
> hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.
>
> (I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)

Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
before coming home.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<ulv974$l9rl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19857&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19857

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:45:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Wjneyzm3025lzeiGav+aZZnqFjM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:45 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
>> allowing them to go to the loo during class. "It's your human right!"
>> asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself." I had to
>> restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
>> class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
>> surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
>> hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.
>>
>> (I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)
>
> Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
> before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
> before coming home.
>
> Mrs McT

After radiotherapy for cancer of the prostate, I think I can claim to be an
expert in such matters )or is that an ex-spurt?)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<e7a6oi575j76h2q77ctjdbufg429pgdac5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19859&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19859

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
>> allowing them to go to the loo during class. "It's your human right!"
>> asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself." I had to
>> restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
>> class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
>> surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
>> hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.
>>
>> (I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)
>
>Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
>before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
>before coming home.
>
>Mrs McT

Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<M9tR2OFM0yglFwNu@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19861&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19861

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:06:04 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:06 UTC

In message <e7a6oi575j76h2q77ctjdbufg429pgdac5@4ax.com> at Wed, 20 Dec
2023 17:48:53, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
><chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[]
>>Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
>>before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
>>before coming home.
>>
>>Mrs McT
>
>Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.

There's a quote attributed to I think Alfred Hitchcock about the matter,
on how long films should be.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. -Abraham
Lincoln, 16th president of the U.S (1809-1865)

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<8dq6oipflfkt4rnhj563gobjuj8e4hci4e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19869&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19869

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:41:05 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:41 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
><chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Group of college students at the bus stop, griping about teachers not
>>> allowing them to go to the loo during class. "It's your human right!"
>>> asserted one and claimed to be "nearly wetting herself." I had to
>>> restrain myself from asking her why she hadn't thought to go before
>>> class started and asking if she would think it ok, for example, for a
>>> surgeon to break off in the middle of an important operation because he
>>> hadn't bothered to relieve himself before he started.
>>>
>>> (I'm well into Grumpy Old Womanhood now.)
>>
>>Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
>>before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
>>before coming home.
>>
>>Mrs McT
>
>Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.

We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.

What that got to do with a wee?

Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
somehow managed to survive another hour.

Nick

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<sI%gN.64345$Ama9.194@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19905&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19905

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:44:40 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:44 UTC

On 20-Dec-23 22:41, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
>>> before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
>>> before coming home.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>
>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>
> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>
> What that got to do with a wee?
>
> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
> somehow managed to survive another hour.

Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.

Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
mile journey.

On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
road a few hundred yards from home.
On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
miles to the journey.

Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um21a6$1686i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19909&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19909

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Df9ow9N5FUyiI6r3jxdfreC7Fvs=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:48 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 20-Dec-23 22:41, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>>
>> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
>> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
>> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
>> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
>> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>>
>> What that got to do with a wee?
>>
>> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
>> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
>> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
>> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
>> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
>> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
>> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
>> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
>> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>
> Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.
>
> Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
> mile journey.
>
> On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
> road a few hundred yards from home.
> On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
> mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
> miles to the journey.
>
> Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.

I take it, it detained you but didn’t ‘Ent’ ertain you?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um21ac$16873$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19910&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19910

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:48:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HIbxhd4TaSajfIL+5ayFi7FLmMw=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:48 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 20-Dec-23 22:41, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>>
>> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
>> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
>> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
>> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
>> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>>
>> What that got to do with a wee?
>>
>> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
>> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
>> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
>> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
>> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
>> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
>> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
>> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
>> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>
> Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.
>
> Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
> mile journey.
>
> On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
> road a few hundred yards from home.
> On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
> mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
> miles to the journey.
>
> Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.

I take it, it detained you but didn’t ‘Ent’ ertain you?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<Ph2hN.84490$p%Mb.55744@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19918&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19918

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:41:03 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:41 UTC

On 21-Dec-23 18:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 20-Dec-23 22:41, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
>>> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
>>> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
>>> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
>>> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>>>
>>> What that got to do with a wee?
>>>
>>> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
>>> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
>>> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
>>> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
>>> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
>>> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
>>> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
>>> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
>>> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>>
>> Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.
>>
>> Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
>> mile journey.
>>
>> On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
>> road a few hundred yards from home.
>> On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
>> mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
>> miles to the journey.
>>
>> Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.
>>

> I take it, it detained you but didn’t ‘Ent’ ertain you?

That first road to be blocked by a fallen tree - was closed for a week
or so in the early autumn, whilst they removed a number of sickly trees
which threatened to block the road should they fall.
Today...

I wonder if the tree that fell today was made more vulnerable by the
removal of other trees around it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<87ttob6qc1.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19925&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19925

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:19:58 +0000
sha1:ivV4UAPGx6OsOqXJLoO3V0nq424=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:19 UTC

Was it pining for them?

Rosie

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um3jhj$1glli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19927&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19927

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:05:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hLmtFEYwEiwFgp+0N4/UHE44rzo=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:05 UTC

Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

>>> I take it, it detained you but didn’t ‘Ent’ ertain you?
>>>
>> That first road to be blocked by a fallen tree - was closed for a week
>> or so in the early autumn, whilst they removed a number of sickly
>> trees which threatened to block the road should they fall.
>> Today...
>>
>> I wonder if the tree that fell today was made more vulnerable by the
>> removal of other trees around it.
>
> Was it pining for them?
>
> Rosie

You might like to ask the Special Branch…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um4e1l$1ksjs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19935&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19935

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pi0JktjgXdtEwUUPA6NIWDJF/NY=
 by: Chris - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:13:34 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Some of us can’t manage through a concert nominally an hr long. I went
>>> before leaving home, before the concert - and only just made it to the loo
>>> before coming home.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>
>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>
> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>
> What that got to do with a wee?
>
> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>
> Nick

Would here be not UK?

Mrs McT

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um4e1m$1ksjs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19936&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19936

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:T3XVSTGkfSpJsoJOkGLaa6Vonbc=
 by: Chris - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 20-Dec-23 22:41, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>>
>> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
>> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
>> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
>> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
>> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>>
>> What that got to do with a wee?
>>
>> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
>> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
>> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
>> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
>> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
>> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
>> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
>> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
>> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>
> Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.
>
> Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
> mile journey.
>
> On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
> road a few hundred yards from home.
> On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
> mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
> miles to the journey.
>
> Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.

Plenty of fallen trees on local rails. One at Crowthorne, Whatever you
did, stop it, krw. And between Bagshot and Ascot

Mrs McT

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<87le9m6s4a.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19938&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19938

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:53:41 +0000
sha1:IR/7Uzw7Yv9RIE6KZBhNUv7hWe4=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:53 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:

> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

>>> That first road to be blocked by a fallen tree - was closed for a week
>>> or so in the early autumn, whilst they removed a number of sickly
>>> trees which threatened to block the road should they fall.
>>> Today...
>>>
>>> I wonder if the tree that fell today was made more vulnerable by the
>>> removal of other trees around it.
>>
>> Was it pining for them?
>>
>> Rosie
>>

> You might like to ask the Special Branch…

Yes, I'm sure that's the service to root out the problem.

Rosie

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<kunmg3Fb4nmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19954&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19954

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 09:10:26 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 09:10 UTC

Indeed. Best to give them a trunk call.

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um6f9i$21nlc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19956&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19956

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:11:45 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:11 UTC

On 23/12/2023 09:10, John Armstrong wrote:
> On 22/12/2023 17:53, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:

>>> You might like to ask the Special Branch…
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure that's the service to root out the problem.
>>
>> Rosie
> Indeed. Best to give them a trunk call.

Leaf it out! Haven't you twigged he's barking up the wrong tree.

--
Ric

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<um6g2s$21sjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19957&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19957

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:25:16 -0000 (UTC)
<kunmg3Fb4nmU3@mid.individual.net>
sha1:ZB246L10Gd6tgd3mve9T99a3F2k=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:25 UTC

John Armstrong <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/12/2023 17:53, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:

>>> You might like to ask the Special Branch…
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure that's the service to root out the problem.
>>
>> Rosie
> Indeed. Best to give them a trunk call.

Over Christmas, you might have to resort to leaving a message - but don’t
worry, they will twig there is some urgency upon their return.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<v3sdoilva682nkgrmhl27c69eed64l48ss@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19966&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19966

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:42:31 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:42 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:41:03 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 21-Dec-23 18:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Roads blocked by fallen trees seems to be a topical feature.
>>>
>>> Wofe & I went out today for afternoon tea in Usk - something like a 10
>>> mile journey.
>>>
>>> On the way there, we had to detour because a fallen tree has blocked a
>>> road a few hundred yards from home.
>>> On the return journey we were halted by another fallen tree, this one a
>>> mile or two outside Usk. My chosen detour added at least another 12
>>> miles to the journey.
>>>
>>> Yes it has been windy today - but hardly gale force winds.
>>>

>> I take it, it detained you but didn’t ‘Ent’ ertain you?
>>
>That first road to be blocked by a fallen tree - was closed for a week
>or so in the early autumn, whilst they removed a number of sickly trees
>which threatened to block the road should they fall.
>Today...
>
>I wonder if the tree that fell today was made more vulnerable by the
>removal of other trees around it.

Follow-up to report that by yesterday, all the roads I'm aware of were
passable again. I don't know how the city did it so quickly but they
had teams working all hours cutting up and moving all the fallen
timber and that which they haven't yet taken away is neatly stacked by
the roadside. News reports say that the whole trees will be cut into
boards to be used for creative projects and the small stuff will be
chipped to replenish the surfaces on children's playgrounds so nothing
will be wasted/sent to landfill.

Nick

Re: OT: To-day's yoof

<ogsdoi17rifvt04s7eqltt8o6khkm0m7qh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19967&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19967

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:43:55 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:43 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38:13 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:48:53 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Me too, never mind a 2 hour film.
>>
>> We went hospital visiting yesterday. A friend who fell over and broke
>> their arm and their leg, both on the same side. Since you may be
>> interested, hospital care here is at least as good as care from the
>> NHS - and I rate that as jolly good indeed - but the bureaucracy from
>> the patient's point of view is Kafkaesque.
>>
>> What that got to do with a wee?
>>
>> Well, of course I went before we set out but with a journey that
>> lasted an hour and a half, since many of the streets are still blocked
>> by trees from Sunday's 120kph storm and winds, I was ready for another
>> one by the time we arrived. "I -erme- really need to find the toilets
>> before we go in," I whispered. "Yes of course." But in all the
>> excitement of having the visiting mother and baby wristbanded and
>> registered at the entrance (did I mention Kafka?) they forgot and as
>> it would have been impolite to complain in front of the patient, I
>> somehow managed to survive another hour.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>Would here be not UK?

Correct.

N.