Don't marry for money; you can borrow it cheaper. -- Scottish Proverb

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Router problem..please Help!

SubjectAuthor
* Router problem..please Help!Matt
+* Router problem..please Help!Bruce Horrocks
|`- Router problem..please Help!Matt
+- Router problem..please Help!Bernd Froehlich
+* Router problem..please Help!Chris
|`* Router problem..please Help!Matt
| `- Router problem..please Help!Chris
`* Router problem..please Help!Graham J
 +* Router problem..please Help!Matt
 |`* Router problem..please Help!Graham J
 | +* Router problem..please Help!Matt
 | |`* Router problem..please Help!Graham J
 | | `- Router problem..please Help!Graham J
 | +- Router problem..please Help!Matt
 | +- Router problem..please Help!Matt
 | +- Router problem..please Help!Matt
 | `* Router problem..please Help!Bruce Horrocks
 |  `* Router problem..please Help!David Sankey
 |   `- Router problem..please Help!Matt
 +- Router problem..please Help!Matt
 `- Router problem..please Help!Matt

1
Router problem..please Help!

<AgA2N.714292$0vAf.105166@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18911&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18911

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Router problem..please Help!
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 00:04:48 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 00:04 UTC

Hi,

Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
MAC.

The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
model: NJ-3R.
and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1

but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
Ventura, etc.

What I can be doing wrong?
BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
happens.

Mnay Thanks in Advance!

Matt.

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<a6dd888c-bdc5-4041-8823-da120c560674@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18912&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18912

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Router problem..please Help!
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 00:33:19 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 00:33 UTC

On 08/11/2023 00:04, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and

Do you mean WiMAX?

> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
> MAC.
>
> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
> model: NJ-3R.

The NJ-3R is not listed as a WiMAX router on the Internet - are there
any further letters/codes in the device's name?

Or is it plugged into another box inside your house?

> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1

192.168.1.1 would be much more common.

But without the exact model name of the device I can't be sure.

> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
> Ventura, etc.
>
> What I can be doing wrong?
> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
> happens.

That won't help. You need to confirm the 192.etc number first.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<kr0rmiFd6f0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18914&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18914

From: befr@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 8 Nov 2023 07:29:22 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 07:29 UTC

On 8. Nov 2023 at 01:04:48 CET, "Matt" <matt@myemail.invalid> wrote:

> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1

What IP Address does your Mac have?

You need to set that manually to 192.168.2.X otherwise it is not in the
same network as the router and can´t see it.

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uifej8$1ghfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18916&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18916

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 07:50:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4RfHJy0wWuHc6b83qbrGrxFTvaA=
 by: Chris - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 07:50 UTC

Matt <matt@myemail.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
> MAC.
>
> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
> model: NJ-3R.
> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>
> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
> Ventura, etc.
>
> What I can be doing wrong?
> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
> happens.
>
> Mnay Thanks in Advance!

How do you know everything works ok? Seems like it's not working. What does
system preferences say under Network? Does it see the connection to the
router?

Make sure you connect via an ethernet cable directly to the router. If that
still doesn't work then either there's something with the instructions
provided or the router isn't working.

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uifhvt$1h5g5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18917&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18917

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:47:48 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 08:47 UTC

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
> MAC.
>
> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
> model: NJ-3R.
> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>
> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
> Ventura, etc.
>
> What I can be doing wrong?
> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
> happens.
>
> Mnay Thanks in Advance!

Frirst, connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, and
disable any WiFi function it may have. This will ensure that it really
is connected to your router, not to a neighbour's WiFi for example.

Your Mac will show you how it gets its IP address. Google for how. This
will be by DHCP (Automatic) or by some other means. It needs to be set
to use DHCP, then probably rebooted.

Having done that, your Mac will show you its IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway. The IP address shown for the default gateway is that
of the router - regardless of anything the installer told you.

Ignore your browser and use Ping to confirm that the Mac can communicate
with the default gateway. Google will show you how to run Ping on a
Mac. This will confirm that you have suitable firewall settings.

Now try your browser. If it doesn't see the router, tell us exactly how
it fails. Ideally show us a screenshot.

--
Graham J

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<%nJ2N.1106165$XBH2.1008423@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18918&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18918

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:27:07 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:27 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 09:47:48 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>> MAC.
>>
>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>> model: NJ-3R.
>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>>
>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>> Ventura, etc.
>>
>> What I can be doing wrong?
>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> Mnay Thanks in Advance!
>
> Frirst, connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, and
> disable any WiFi function it may have. This will ensure that it really
> is connected to your router, not to a neighbour's WiFi for example.
>
> Your Mac will show you how it gets its IP address. Google for how. This
> will be by DHCP (Automatic) or by some other means. It needs to be set
> to use DHCP, then probably rebooted.
>
> Having done that, your Mac will show you its IP address, subnet mask and
> default gateway. The IP address shown for the default gateway is that
> of the router - regardless of anything the installer told you.
>
> Ignore your browser and use Ping to confirm that the Mac can communicate
> with the default gateway. Google will show you how to run Ping on a
> Mac. This will confirm that you have suitable firewall settings.
>
> Now try your browser. If it doesn't see the router, tell us exactly how
> it fails. Ideally show us a screenshot.

Thanks to you all for helping me!

How to attach a picture/capture of my network settings here???
I use Usenapp for browsing this newsgroup.

Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
27
running Monterey latest version:

https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<HCJ2N.756003$iKfd.87011@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18920&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18920

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:42:47 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:42 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 01:33:19 CET, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2023 00:04, Matt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>
> Do you mean WiMAX?
>
>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>> MAC.
>>
>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>> model: NJ-3R.
>
> The NJ-3R is not listed as a WiMAX router on the Internet - are there
> any further letters/codes in the device's name?
>
> Or is it plugged into another box inside your house?
>
>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>
> 192.168.1.1 would be much more common.
>
> But without the exact model name of the device I can't be sure.
>
>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>> Ventura, etc.
>>
>> What I can be doing wrong?
>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>> happens.
>
> That won't help. You need to confirm the 192.etc number first.

Yes Bruce, Thank you!

I am in a small town in Spain, a rural area, where for now only the internet
connection reaches via WIMAX.
And the WIMAX installer here uses this brand of routers.

The router is configured as "Bridge", since the WIMAX antenna on my roof is an
antenna with a built-in modem, so the signal that enters my house is connected
to the Nucom router.

The Router reads:

IP address: 192.168.1.1
Username: user
Password: xxxxxxx
SSID: NuCom_E50970
WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E

MAC: 00E04CE50970

An my network capture:

https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<LFJ2N.714293$0vAf.593912@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18921&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18921

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:46:03 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:46 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 08:50:00 CET, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt <matt@myemail.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>> MAC.
>>
>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>> model: NJ-3R.
>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>>
>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>> Ventura, etc.
>>
>> What I can be doing wrong?
>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> Mnay Thanks in Advance!
>
> How do you know everything works ok? Seems like it's not working. What does
> system preferences say under Network? Does it see the connection to the
> router?
>
> Make sure you connect via an ethernet cable directly to the router. If that
> still doesn't work then either there's something with the instructions
> provided or the router isn't working.

My Network capture:

https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

And works OK with all my devices.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<7JJ2N.1106166$XBH2.768840@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18922&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18922

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:49:39 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:49 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 09:47:48 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>> MAC.
>>
>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>> model: NJ-3R.
>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>>
>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>> Ventura, etc.
>>
>> What I can be doing wrong?
>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> Mnay Thanks in Advance!
>
> Frirst, connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, and
> disable any WiFi function it may have. This will ensure that it really
> is connected to your router, not to a neighbour's WiFi for example.
>
> Your Mac will show you how it gets its IP address. Google for how. This
> will be by DHCP (Automatic) or by some other means. It needs to be set
> to use DHCP, then probably rebooted.
>
> Having done that, your Mac will show you its IP address, subnet mask and
> default gateway. The IP address shown for the default gateway is that
> of the router - regardless of anything the installer told you.
>
> Ignore your browser and use Ping to confirm that the Mac can communicate
> with the default gateway. Google will show you how to run Ping on a
> Mac. This will confirm that you have suitable firewall settings.
>
> Now try your browser. If it doesn't see the router, tell us exactly how
> it fails. Ideally show us a screenshot.

Thanks for your help Graham!!

I am in a small town in Spain, a rural area, where for now only the internet
connection
reaches via WIMAX.
And the WIMAX installer here uses this brand of routers.

The router is configured as "Bridge", since the WIMAX antenna on my roof is an
antenna
with a built-in modem, so the signal that enters my house is connected to the
Nucom router.

Here goes my network config:

https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<aMJ2N.721223$MyOe.538047@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18923&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18923

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 10:52:54 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 09:47:48 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>> MAC.
>>
>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>> model: NJ-3R.
>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>>
>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>> Ventura, etc.
>>
>> What I can be doing wrong?
>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> Mnay Thanks in Advance!
>
> Frirst, connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, and
> disable any WiFi function it may have. This will ensure that it really
> is connected to your router, not to a neighbour's WiFi for example.
>
> Your Mac will show you how it gets its IP address. Google for how. This
> will be by DHCP (Automatic) or by some other means. It needs to be set
> to use DHCP, then probably rebooted.
>
> Having done that, your Mac will show you its IP address, subnet mask and
> default gateway. The IP address shown for the default gateway is that
> of the router - regardless of anything the installer told you.
>
> Ignore your browser and use Ping to confirm that the Mac can communicate
> with the default gateway. Google will show you how to run Ping on a
> Mac. This will confirm that you have suitable firewall settings.
>
> Now try your browser. If it doesn't see the router, tell us exactly how
> it fails. Ideally show us a screenshot.

I am in a small town in Spain, a rural area, where for now only the internet
connection
reaches via WIMAX.
And the WIMAX installer here uses this brand of routers.

The router is configured as "Bridge", since the WIMAX antenna on my roof is an
antenna
with a built-in modem, so the signal that enters my house is connected to the
Nucom router.

My network config:

https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

THANKS!

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uiftbg$1j9j1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18925&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18925

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:01:43 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:01 UTC

Matt wrote:

[snip]

> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
> 27
> running Monterey latest version:
>

> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

OK that shows sensible things. It doesn't use the term "default
gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.

But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
10:42 where you show:

The Router reads:

IP address: 192.168.1.1
Username: user
Password: xxxxxxx
SSID: NuCom_E50970
WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E

Where is this information displayed?

Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate. But very
likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router. I found a
picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
socket coloured black. Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
which to the WIMAX device?

Please try this.

Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.

Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

--
Graham J

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<aeM2N.902615$jff3.495829@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18928&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18928

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:41:26 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:41 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 13:01:43 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
>> 27
>> running Monterey latest version:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC
>>

> OK that shows sensible things. It doesn't use the term "default
> gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.
>
> But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
> 10:42 where you show:
>
> The Router reads:
>
> IP address: 192.168.1.1
> Username: user
> Password: xxxxxxx
> SSID: NuCom_E50970
> WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E
>
> Where is this information displayed?
>
> Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate. But very
> likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router. I found a
> picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
> which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
> socket coloured black. Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
> which to the WIMAX device?
>
> Please try this.
>
> Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.
>
> Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
> antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
> Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

I did what you indicated, and this is what I see:

BTW: I also send a screenshot of the router label

Thanks Again!

Capture:

https://we.tl/t-HnfxJxhLv0

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<OjM2N.902616$jff3.323462@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18929&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18929

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:47:26 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:47 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 13:01:43 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
>> 27
>> running Monterey latest version:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC
>>

> OK that shows sensible things. It doesn't use the term "default
> gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.
>
> But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
> 10:42 where you show:
>
> The Router reads:
>
> IP address: 192.168.1.1
> Username: user
> Password: xxxxxxx
> SSID: NuCom_E50970
> WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E
>
> Where is this information displayed?
>
> Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate. But very
> likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router. I found a
> picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
> which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
> socket coloured black. Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
> which to the WIMAX device?
>
> Please try this.
>
> Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.
>
> Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
> antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
> Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

I did what you indicated, and this is what I see:

BTW: I also send a screenshot of the router label

Capture:

https://we.tl/t-HnfxJxhLv0

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<NGM2N.721232$MyOe.121241@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18930&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18930

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 14:11:57 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:11 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 13:01:43 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
>> 27
>> running Monterey latest version:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC
>>

> OK that shows sensible things. It doesn't use the term "default
> gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.
>
> But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
> 10:42 where you show:
>
> The Router reads:
>
> IP address: 192.168.1.1
> Username: user
> Password: xxxxxxx
> SSID: NuCom_E50970
> WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E
>
> Where is this information displayed?
>
> Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate. But very
> likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router. I found a
> picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
> which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
> socket coloured black. Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
> which to the WIMAX device?
>
> Please try this.
>
> Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.
>
> Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
> antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
> Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

R:

FORGET THE PREVIOUS LINK
THIS IS THE VALID ONE:

I did what you indicated, and this is what I see:

BTW: I also send a screenshot of the router label

Capture:

FORGET THE PREVIOUS LINK
THIS IS THE VALID ONE:

https://we.tl/t-fxVL2rcCQF

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<2QM2N.756009$iKfd.715919@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18931&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18931

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 14:21:50 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:21 UTC

On 8 Nov 2023 at 13:01:43 CET, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on my iMac
>> 27
>> running Monterey latest version:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC
>>

> OK that shows sensible things. It doesn't use the term "default
> gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.
>
> But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
> 10:42 where you show:
>
> The Router reads:
>
> IP address: 192.168.1.1
> Username: user
> Password: xxxxxxx
> SSID: NuCom_E50970
> WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E
>
> Where is this information displayed?
>
> Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate. But very
> likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router. I found a
> picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
> which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
> socket coloured black. Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
> which to the WIMAX device?
>
> Please try this.
>
> Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.
>
> Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
> antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
> Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

Response 2 :

R:

FORGET THE PREVIOUS LINK
THIS IS THE VALID ONE:

I did what you indicated, and this is what I see:

BTW: I also send a screenshot of the router label

Capture:

FORGET THE PREVIOUS LINK
THIS IS THE VALID ONE:

https://we.tl/t-fxVL2rcCQF

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<061da092-4951-425e-9b03-62e61f767d39@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18934&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18934

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:15:37 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:15 UTC

On 08/11/2023 12:01, Graham J wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Meanwhile, these are the my nework settings data as I see them now on
>> my iMac
>> 27
>> running Monterey latest version:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC
>>

> OK that shows sensible things.  It doesn't use the term "default
> gateway" but shows "Router" at 192.168.2.1.
>
> But this is not consistent with the information in your post timed at
> 10:42 where you show:
>
>   The Router reads:
>
>   IP address: 192.168.1.1
>   Username: user
>   Password: xxxxxxx
>   SSID: NuCom_E50970
>   WPA2-PSK key: d13bA0D10e1E
>
> Where is this information displayed?
>
> Your use of the word "Bridge" is probably not very accurate.  But very
> likely the Nucom NJ-3R device is not configured as a router.  I found a
> picture at <https://uk.wallapop.com/item/router-nucom-nj-3r-834772677>
> which shows 4 RJ45 sockets probably coloured yellow, and a separate RJ45
> socket coloured black.  Which of these are connected to your Mac, and
> which to the WIMAX device?
>
> Please try this.
>
> Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.
>
> Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
> antenna.  Power up that Mac.  Check the IP address, subnet mask and
> Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

Graham: my Mac shows "Router instead of "default gateway" so I don't
think that's significant.

Matt: the bridge bit is important so we need to get to the bottom of it.
The NJ-3R can be configured in one of 3 ways: router, bridge or relay.

Relay is for boosting a wi-fi signal from one part of the house to
another. This doesn't apply to you.

Bridge means that your home network is a direct extension of the ISP's
network. (Not quite true but a full explanation needs reams.) Again this
is unlikely.

Router means that you have your own home network (192.168.x.0 - where x
is in dispute) and this is the most likely scenario.

So if the NJ-3R is in bridge mode it needs to be changed. Changing it is
hard because you can't connect to it when it's in bridge mode! So a
paper-clip reset is probably the best starting point. (I.e. hold down
the reset button for 10-15secs, or you push a paper clip into a small
hole for 10-15 secs) until all the lights go out.

Let it restart without connecting anything. Wait for all the lights to
come on and settle and you should get a warning light indicating no
WiMAX connection. Then plug the WiMAX aerial in and give it 2-3 minutes
to connect up. Then plug the Mac in.

The 2-3 mins is important because your NJ-3R should get recognised by
the ISP as one of its own and the necessary configuration details will
be applied.

Hopefully this will be enough. If not then come back to us and we'll
work out a way to connect to the NJ-2R's configuration screen.

Lastly, if you have a neighbour with the same service you could ask them
what network address they get? Basically 192.168.2.1 is unusual and
might be temporary for configuration only, or deliberate for when the
router is misconfigured in the sense of: you ring up the ISP's help
line; they ask for your IP address; and if you answer 192.168.2.x then
they know that your box is misconfigured.

192.168.1.1 is much, much more common for a home network.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uigdlr$1mbap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18941&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18941

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:40:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oxPGGYJGsKjtsYGnh7sWcPdL7Vc=
 by: Chris - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:40 UTC

Matt <matt@myemail.invalid> wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2023 at 08:50:00 CET, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt <matt@myemail.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yesterday my internet provider installed a new router for me, (I receive
>>> internet via radio, with the winmax system because I am far from the city, and
>>> the fiber does not reach me yet), everything works OK, but for some strange
>>> reason I cannot access it. My new router, even though I have all the data, the
>>> same installer showed me how to do it, but it has Windows PCs, and I have all
>>> MAC.
>>>
>>> The router is very simple, but it has a very good Wi-Fi range, it is a Nucom
>>> model: NJ-3R.
>>> and you are supposed to be able to access it with:192.168.2.1
>>>
>>> but I can't access it...the browser can't find it, and I've already tried a
>>> thousand things with the three MACs I have, running the latest Os., Monterey,
>>> Ventura, etc.
>>>
>>> What I can be doing wrong?
>>> BTW: I've already tried uninstalling my firewalls, Adguard, etc., and nothing
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> Mnay Thanks in Advance!
>>
>> How do you know everything works ok? Seems like it's not working. What does
>> system preferences say under Network? Does it see the connection to the
>> router?
>>
>> Make sure you connect via an ethernet cable directly to the router. If that
>> still doesn't work then either there's something with the instructions
>> provided or the router isn't working.
>
> My Network capture:
>
> https://we.tl/t-n9gP4RRYIC

Sorry, but I'm downloading a random file from the internet.

> And works OK with all my devices.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Did you try the ethernet cable?

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uigff0$1mnjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18944&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18944

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:10:47 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:10 UTC

Graham J wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Capture:
>>

>> https://we.tl/t-HnfxJxhLv0
>>
> OK so there are seven different screenshots - this is confusing!
>
> The picture of the router confirms that there are two different networks
> involved.

[snip]

In the absence of further information I'm now speculating:

1. The WIMAX device is not a modem, it is a router. This means that it
connects its LAN (with the 192.168.2.x network) to the WAN provided by
the ISP. This device provides the DHCP service which gives the client
computers their IP addresses, subnet masks, and default gateway details.
It may well not have a conventional management interface at the
address 192.168.2.1 that can be accessed by a web browser. It might
require a proprietary management program that the installation
technician had on his Windows PC.

2. The next speculation depends on how the Nucom NJ-3R is connected. If
its WAN port is connected to the WIMAX device then the Nucom NJ-3R is
configured as a router, but with most of its services (such as DHCP)
disabled. If however the WAN port is not used, and the WIMAX device
connects to one of the 4 LAN ports, then it functions as a network
switch. If so, it is there only to provide WiFi capability and multiple
RJ45 sockets.

As its label suggests its IP address is 192.168.1.1 so your computers
won't be able to communicate with it. It will be necessary to set up a
computer with a fixed IP address such as 192.168.1.99 then point its
browser to 192.168.1.1 - this should at least give access to the WiFi
settings.

--
Graham J

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uig6u7$1l0t4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18945&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18945

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:45:18 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:45 UTC

Matt wrote:

[snip]

> Capture:
>

> https://we.tl/t-HnfxJxhLv0

OK so there are seven different screenshots - this is confusing!

The picture of the router confirms that there are two different networks
involved.

Please try again:

Disconnect the Nucom NJ-3R and power it off.

Connect one Mac directly to the Ethernet cable that comes from the WIMAX
antenna. Power up that Mac. Check the IP address, subnet mask and
Router information that the Mac now displays, and show us that picture.

.... And show us JUST ONE picture of the network screenshot.

--
Graham J

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<uilioq$2t03a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18970&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18970

From: David.Sankey@stfc.ac.uk (David Sankey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:38:02 +0000
 by: David Sankey - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:38 UTC

On 08/11/2023 17:15, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> [...]
> WiMAX connection. Then plug the WiMAX aerial in and give it 2-3 minutes
> to connect up. Then plug the Mac in.
>
> The 2-3 mins is important because your NJ-3R should get recognised by
> the ISP as one of its own and the necessary configuration details will
> be applied.
>
> Hopefully this will be enough. If not then come back to us and we'll
> work out a way to connect to the NJ-2R's configuration screen.
>
> Lastly, if you have a neighbour with the same service you could ask them
> what network address they get? Basically 192.168.2.1 is unusual and
> might be temporary for configuration only, or deliberate for when the
> router is misconfigured in the sense of: you ring up the ISP's help
> line; they ask for your IP address; and if you answer 192.168.2.x then
> they know that your box is misconfigured.
>
> 192.168.1.1 is much, much more common for a home network.

You are right in saying that having the Nucom router configured in
bridge mode is critical.

However...

This is almost certainly exactly what is intended.

The OP appears to be describing a daisy chain of routers, the wiMAX
modem connecting to the world and the Nucom connecting to the wiMAX
modem. With a daisy chain of routers like this you do only want one
configured as a router with the other(s) configured in bridge mode (so
that you don't do double NAT etc).

It sounds like the wiMAX modem is providing all the NAT, DHCP and
routing function, so the gateway address of 192.168.2.1 is that provided
by the wiMAX modem, and logging into 192.168.2.1 is connecting to the
wiMAX modem, with nothing whatsoever to do with the Nucom router.

You say that everything works, but you can't access your Nucom router.
Where the Nucom router is on your network will determined by whatever IP
address the wiMAX modem gave it (like it gave 192.168.2.190 to your
Mac). If you find out that address you will be able to log into the
Nucom. Easiest way of doing that is lookin at the device list when you
log into the wiMAX modem.

Hope that helps,

Re: Router problem..please Help!

<nXJ9N.1228008$LJv3.736569@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20062&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20062

From: matt@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:48:19 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:48 UTC

On 10 Nov 2023 at 16:38:02 CET, "David Sankey" <David.Sankey@stfc.ac.uk>
wrote:

> [...]
> modem connecting to the world and the Nucom connecting to the wiMAX
> modem. With a daisy chain of routers like this you do only want one
> configured as a router with the other(s) configured in bridge mode (so
> that you don't do double NAT etc).
>
> It sounds like the wiMAX modem is providing all the NAT, DHCP and
> routing function, so the gateway address of 192.168.2.1 is that provided
> by the wiMAX modem, and logging into 192.168.2.1 is connecting to the
> wiMAX modem, with nothing whatsoever to do with the Nucom router.
>
> You say that everything works, but you can't access your Nucom router.
> Where the Nucom router is on your network will determined by whatever IP
> address the wiMAX modem gave it (like it gave 192.168.2.190 to your
> Mac). If you find out that address you will be able to log into the
> Nucom. Easiest way of doing that is lookin at the device list when you

Many thanks to Bruce Horrocks, Bernard Froehlic, Chris, Grajam J, Davis
Sankey,
and this entire wonderful group.for helping me

I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

I finally decided to reinstall the "old" Airport Extreme that I was using
before the rural
internet company connected theirs, and now everything works wonderfully.

They promised me to return with a new 2-band router, better and more
powerful..
.....we'll see...because for now the AE works very well, it would need a little
more range
in 5G, but it's not a big problem.

Thanks again!

Matt.