From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Any way to copy metadata from one video to another in Photos?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:20:59 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:20 UTC

As per title. I have two videos - one shot by me on my phone, one shot more
professionally. The one shot by me is already in Photos and tagged
automatically, whereas the pro one is not. Is there a simple way to just copy
the metadata (location, time) from one to the other?

(Am aware I could just memorise it, manually type it into the Get Info pane
of the other and sort it that way - am more wondering about future tasks and
learning ’the proper way’ if it exists).

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Any way to copy metadata from one video to another in Photos?

<ul7bv9$37ga1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20093&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20093

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:04:57 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:04 UTC

On 11/12/2023 15:20, Ian McCall wrote:

> As per title. I have two videos - one shot by me on my phone, one shot more
> professionally. The one shot by me is already in Photos and tagged
> automatically, whereas the pro one is not. Is there a simple way to just copy
> the metadata (location, time) from one to the other?
>
> (Am aware I could just memorise it, manually type it into the Get Info pane
> of the other and sort it that way - am more wondering about future tasks and
> learning ’the proper way’ if it exists).

Image Menu, Location submenu, Copy Location then Assign Location.

Although I haven't tried it on videos.

--
Andy H

Re: Any way to copy metadata from one video to another in Photos?

<ktrl50F7gc7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20106&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20106

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Dec 2023 17:55:45 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:55 UTC

On 11 Dec 2023 at 16:04:57 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com>
wrote:

> On 11/12/2023 15:20, Ian McCall wrote:
>>
>> As per title. I have two videos - one shot by me on my phone, one shot more
>> professionally. The one shot by me is already in Photos and tagged
>> automatically, whereas the pro one is not. Is there a simple way to just copy
>> the metadata (location, time) from one to the other?
>>
>> (Am aware I could just memorise it, manually type it into the Get Info pane
>> of the other and sort it that way - am more wondering about future tasks and
>> learning ’the proper way’ if it exists).
>>

> Image Menu, Location submenu, Copy Location then Assign Location.

Ooh, nice. I was being annoyed the other day that way more than half my
Japan holiday pics from a few years back were from my Canon, which does
a terrible job of GPS tagging (mostly just doesn't, it seems to take ten
minutes to get a location lock and I don't keep it powered up that long
per session).

I tried to remember to take at least one iPhone pic per location, so
I've even got something to copy from.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Remember, if something is on the news that means
it's rare enough that you shouldn't worry about it.

Re: Any way to copy metadata from one video to another in Photos?

<uls2fs$1la5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20220&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20220

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:31:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bHuqH1qvncggMPbrRsorA1y05kQ=
 by: Andy H - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:31 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2023 at 16:04:57 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/12/2023 15:20, Ian McCall wrote:
>>>
>>> As per title. I have two videos - one shot by me on my phone, one shot more
>>> professionally. The one shot by me is already in Photos and tagged
>>> automatically, whereas the pro one is not. Is there a simple way to just copy
>>> the metadata (location, time) from one to the other?
>>>
>>> (Am aware I could just memorise it, manually type it into the Get Info pane
>>> of the other and sort it that way - am more wondering about future tasks and
>>> learning ’the proper way’ if it exists).
>>>

>> Image Menu, Location submenu, Copy Location then Assign Location.
>
> Ooh, nice. I was being annoyed the other day that way more than half my
> Japan holiday pics from a few years back were from my Canon, which does
> a terrible job of GPS tagging (mostly just doesn't, it seems to take ten
> minutes to get a location lock and I don't keep it powered up that long
> per session).
>
> I tried to remember to take at least one iPhone pic per location, so
> I've even got something to copy from.

Yes, I use a Nikon DSLR, the previous one had GPS, but I never used it, as
it ate too much battery power, and was also slow and unreliable too. I
currently have an older (but higher range) model, where GPS is an optional
module, which I don’t have.

Likewise, I often just use the odd iPhone image to get locations, but I’ve
generally stuck with keywords and captions/comments for most of them.

--
Andy H