From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:14:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:14 UTC

I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
contract about 2 months' ago.

If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).

So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness

<ul9qgg$3md26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20101&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20101

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:25:20 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:25 UTC

Am 12.12.23 um 13:14 schrieb RJH:
> I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
> contract about 2 months' ago.
>
> If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
> 'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
> reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).
>
> So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
> contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.

Both are logged into their iCloud-accounts and have activated iMsg in
settings Messages?

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness

<YQE*OUHxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20102&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20102

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Dec 2023 14:30:58 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:30 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
> contract about 2 months' ago.
>
> If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
> 'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
> reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).
>
> So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
> contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.

I would guess that he has the old number attached to his iCloud somehow,
and that's what the iPhone is using to send.

When you put a SIM card in an iPhone without iCloud set up and enable
iMessage, it sends an SMS to an Apple server to enroll that number for
iMessage. Then you are set up with that number on iMessage.

If you want to SMS from your Mac/iPad/Watch/etc iCloud needs to know that
that's your number. I'm guessing that happens when you enable iCloud, it
syncs the number you have previously enrolled on the iPhone to your iCloud.

What could have happened is he enabled iMessage on the old SIM, and that
became his number in iCloud. Then he swapped the SIM over. The old number
on his iCloud can receive iMessages, but the new SIM hasn't been registered
in iMessage so iPhones send to it via SMS. He receives your SMS and then
replies, and his phone spots *your* phone is enabled for iMessage and so
sends from the iMessage on that phone, which happens to be the old number.

I'm not sure how you would register the new number, but I would try turning
off iMessage on his phone and then turning it back on again. Maybe that
will send the enrollment SMS again and registers the new number on his
iCloud.

Theo

(the recent discussion about the 'Beeper Mini' iMessage implementation has
uncovered a bit of information about how iMessage works, which I'm
extrapolating from)

Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness

<03c8c85b-2bc5-4cbf-aff5-eb1d0fb05d76@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20107&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20107

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:26:04 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:26 UTC

On 12/12/2023 12:14, RJH wrote:
> I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
> contract about 2 months' ago.
>
> If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
> 'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
> reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).
>
> So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
> contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.

What's happening is fairly straightforward:
- you're sending him a text
- he's replying but the iPhone/Apple realises that he can send iMessages
and you can receive them so it is sending the reply by iMessage not text
- his old number is still associated with his iCloud account so iMessage
uses that to identify him as the sender.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness

<ktrohhF86poU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20109&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20109

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Dec 2023 18:53:37 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:53 UTC

On 12 Dec 2023 at 12:14:31 GMT, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
> contract about 2 months' ago.
>
> If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
> 'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
> reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).
>
> So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
> contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.

He can deregister the old number online,
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203042

Direct link is https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Although the online instructions look like they might want you to have
access to the old number...can't tell without trying it.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Meanwhile, guinea pigs are displaying the survival
instincts of lemmings ... quite astonishingly, 2.86 per

Re: OTish: iPhone contact number strangeness

<ulb8d8$13ne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20112&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20112

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 03:28:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 03:28 UTC

On 12 Dec 2023 at 18:53:37 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2023 at 12:14:31 GMT, "RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently gave an iPhone 6 to a friend, and set him up with a Tesco Mobile
>> contract about 2 months' ago.
>>
>> If I send him a text message on that number it shows up as sent, but coloured
>> 'green' (ie non-phone) in the messages app. He'll then reply and I receive the
>> reply, but from his old number, and coloured blue (from an iPhone).
>>
>> So I've taken to texting him using the old number. How can this be?! That
>> contract was a pay as you use, and he hasn't topped it up for many months.
>
> He can deregister the old number online,
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203042
>
> Direct link is https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
>
> Although the online instructions look like they might want you to have
> access to the old number...can't tell without trying it.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Many thanks all - that looks to be the thing, so we'll need access to his
phone. For now I'll send on the old number - seems to be reliable (I had a
text from him earlier today from his old number)
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK