From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Mouse Pointer Contrast
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:39:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:39 UTC

My eldest son is something of a whiz kid when it comes to Windows but knows
about as much about Macs as I do about Windows. (I say kid, but should point
out that he is 66.)

He has got Sonora running on VMWare, as much to prove that he can as anything.
He has been exploring…

Last night he sent me a message:

"I found the mouse pointer size change settings and I can see where you can
choose the mouse outline color and the mouse fill color but I don't see an
option to have those automatically change based on the background. This is a
function that's available in Windows, to ensure that there is always contrast
between the mouse pointer and what is covering over. Is this available for
MacOS?"

I replied that I knew of no such option. But it seems such an obviously useful
idea that I thought i"d ask here if you know the definitive answer.

John.

--
Frustra fit per plura, quod potest fieri per pauciora - William of Occam.

Re: Mouse Pointer Contrast

<ulejo7$1b7hd$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20132&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20132

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mouse Pointer Contrast
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:00:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:00 UTC

On 2023-12-14, John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> My eldest son is something of a whiz kid when it comes to Windows but knows
> about as much about Macs as I do about Windows. (I say kid, but should point
> out that he is 66.)
>
> He has got Sonora running on VMWare, as much to prove that he can as anything.
> He has been exploring…
>
> Last night he sent me a message:
>
> "I found the mouse pointer size change settings and I can see where you can
> choose the mouse outline color and the mouse fill color but I don't see an
> option to have those automatically change based on the background. This is a
> function that's available in Windows, to ensure that there is always contrast
> between the mouse pointer and what is covering over. Is this available for
> MacOS?"
>
> I replied that I knew of no such option. But it seems such an obviously useful
> idea that I thought i"d ask here if you know the definitive answer.

It might be worth looking in System Settings -> Accessibilty and scrolling
down to the Pointer options and having a play.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Mouse Pointer Contrast

<ku06q8F8hb3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20136&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20136

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 14 Dec 2023 11:21:44 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:21 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 08:39:46 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> My eldest son is something of a whiz kid when it comes to Windows but knows
> about as much about Macs as I do about Windows. (I say kid, but should point
> out that he is 66.)
>
> He has got Sonora running on VMWare, as much to prove that he can as anything.
> He has been exploring…
>
> Last night he sent me a message:
>
> "I found the mouse pointer size change settings and I can see where you can
> choose the mouse outline color and the mouse fill color but I don't see an
> option to have those automatically change based on the background. This is a
> function that's available in Windows, to ensure that there is always contrast
> between the mouse pointer and what is covering over. Is this available for
> MacOS?"

Given the macOS mouse pointer is black with a white edge with a grey
edge, there is always contrast... but no, there is no builtin option to
do the simple and ugly XOR that Windows gives as the "inverted" mouse
cursor.

It's a typical MS failure of design, using a bad-looking workaround to
avoid having to actually think about how best to make a cursor visible.
Here are the Windows options, demonstrating how badly the mouse pointer
visibility is handled:
https://static1.howtogeekimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/win11_mouse_pointer_size.jpg

Cheers - Jaimie
--
All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
- Alexander Woollcott

Re: Mouse Pointer Contrast

<ulh13g$1qt5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20153&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20153

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:00:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:00 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 11:21:44 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2023 at 08:39:46 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> My eldest son is something of a whiz kid when it comes to Windows but knows
>> about as much about Macs as I do about Windows. (I say kid, but should point
>> out that he is 66.)
>>
>> He has got Sonora running on VMWare, as much to prove that he can as anything.
>> He has been exploring…
>>
>> Last night he sent me a message:
>>
>> "I found the mouse pointer size change settings and I can see where you can
>> choose the mouse outline color and the mouse fill color but I don't see an
>> option to have those automatically change based on the background. This is a
>> function that's available in Windows, to ensure that there is always contrast
>> between the mouse pointer and what is covering over. Is this available for
>> MacOS?"
>
> Given the macOS mouse pointer is black with a white edge with a grey
> edge, there is always contrast... but no, there is no builtin option to
> do the simple and ugly XOR that Windows gives as the "inverted" mouse
> cursor.
>
> It's a typical MS failure of design, using a bad-looking workaround to
> avoid having to actually think about how best to make a cursor visible.
> Here are the Windows options, demonstrating how badly the mouse pointer
> visibility is handled:
> https://static1.howtogeekimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/win11_mouse_pointer_size.jpg
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

That is what we both thought,

Kelvin, in his reply to me, says:
"However the XOR capability is in fact very useful because it doesn't matter
where on the screen it is, it will always show up. Even in edge cases. The XOR
applies to chrominance as well as luminance, so you would get I think a blue
pointer on a yellow background and vice versa."

He suggests that it could be that there is patent involvement here with Apple
and Microsoft having to go different directions.

Thank you.

John.
--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.