Success is something I will dress for when I get there, and not until.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: new phone/broadband

SubjectAuthor
* new phone/broadbandVicky
+- new phone/broadbandMike McMillan
+* new phone/broadbandNick Odell
|`- new phone/broadbandSam Plusnet
`* new phone/broadbandPhilip Hole
 `* new phone/broadbandVicky
  `* new phone/broadbandJ. P. Gilliver
   `* new phone/broadbandVicky
    `* new phone/broadbandJ. P. Gilliver
     +* new phone/broadbandVicky
     |`* new phone/broadbandJ. P. Gilliver
     | `* new phone/broadbandSam Plusnet
     |  `- new phone/broadbandVicky
     `* new phone/broadbandChris
      `* new phone/broadbandJoe Kerr
       +- new phone/broadbandMike McMillan
       `* new phone/broadbandChris
        `* new phone/broadbandJ. P. Gilliver
         `- new phone/broadbandPenny

1
new phone/broadband

<n029oihg04v61eg6aql7gfkefbnhcrjhtm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19908&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19908

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: new phone/broadband
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:47:33 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:47 UTC

When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky

Re: new phone/broadband

<um21jj$169ka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19913&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19913

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: new phone/broadband
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:53:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7mklOUKBWp+TukrI4bWcDVopMiU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:53 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
> mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
> later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky

I think I heard summat about legislation and the ISP’s and Telcos just a
few days ago, they are agin it!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: new phone/broadband

<3s79oi9sq099cr0q8g5sjfalk7d6stuk7d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19917&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19917

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 20:32:04 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 20:32 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:47:33 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
>mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
>later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky

I dunno about two months later but at the moment Yes They Can. The
argument these days seems to be that compan ies sould make it much
clearer than just saying in small print "prices may vary during
contract" or not do it at all.

See for instance, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67680327

There's another grumble about how difficult it is to cancel a
contract, even at the end of the contracted period. The other are bad
but Virgin appear to make it nigh on impossible:
<https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/dec/19/i-was-cut-off-four-times-virgin-media-customers-say-its-too-hard-to-cancel-costly-contracts>

Nick

Re: new phone/broadband

<Ip2hN.64569$Ama9.6319@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19919&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19919

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:49:28 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:49 UTC

On 21-Dec-23 20:32, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:47:33 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
>> mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
>> later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky
>

> I dunno about two months later but at the moment Yes They Can. The
> argument these days seems to be that compan ies sould make it much
> clearer than just saying in small print "prices may vary during
> contract" or not do it at all.
>
> See for instance, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67680327
>
> There's another grumble about how difficult it is to cancel a
> contract, even at the end of the contracted period. The other are bad
> but Virgin appear to make it nigh on impossible:
> <https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/dec/19/i-was-cut-off-four-times-virgin-media-customers-say-its-too-hard-to-cancel-costly-contracts>

I think there is some _proposed_ legislation which says it should be no
more difficult to cancel a contract than it was to enter into that
contract in the first place. If you were able to sign up on-line, you
should be able to cancel via the same route.

I don't recommend any breath-holding.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: new phone/broadband

<um2d9o$1830n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19923&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19923

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13:11 +0000
 by: Philip Hole - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13 UTC

On 21/12/2023 18:47, Vicky wrote:
> When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
> mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
> later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky

In simple terms, they can increase charges by a factor - the cost of
living increase as set by the government and 3.9%.

Anything over and above X + 3.9 will be up to OFCOM before you can leave
a contract without penalty.

The penalty is usually the outstanding charges to the end of the contract.

The complex of this plus the bloody-minded attitude of the ISPs,
combined to upset a large number of customers.

As an example, I was paying a small fortune for a very poor basic
broadband. Then VM came along and was welcomed despite being relatively
expensive.

Within a few months the increase arrived. Using the above formula, basic
line rental was increased by 10.9+ +3.9%. In addition the initial
discount was removed. Which resulted in an increase of >50%.

And, of course, I was in the boat with no escape.

So very much a case of caveat emptor!

Flop

Re: new phone/broadband

<tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19940&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19940

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:21:33 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:21 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13:11 +0000, Philip Hole
<news@theholefamily.org> wrote:

>On 21/12/2023 18:47, Vicky wrote:
>> When you take a new broadband/phone contract for 18mths what does it
>> mean prices may vary during contract? can they sign you and 2mths
>> later increase price and you have to pay?? This is Sky
>
>In simple terms, they can increase charges by a factor - the cost of
>living increase as set by the government and 3.9%.
>
>Anything over and above X + 3.9 will be up to OFCOM before you can leave
>a contract without penalty.
>
>The penalty is usually the outstanding charges to the end of the contract.
>
>The complex of this plus the bloody-minded attitude of the ISPs,
>combined to upset a large number of customers.
>
>As an example, I was paying a small fortune for a very poor basic
>broadband. Then VM came along and was welcomed despite being relatively
>expensive.
>
>Within a few months the increase arrived. Using the above formula, basic
>line rental was increased by 10.9+ +3.9%. In addition the initial
>discount was removed. Which resulted in an increase of >50%.
>
>And, of course, I was in the boat with no escape.
>
>So very much a case of caveat emptor!
>
>Flop

I contacted them on chat wossit, said would leave as cheaper
elsewhere, unless they reduce it and they reduced monthly to a little
below this year for 24mths and all free phone calls from landline. Had
none before. We had to point out is over the internet now so should be
free.

Re: new phone/broadband

<EsuDCyEFjzhlFw1+@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19986&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19986

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45:09 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45 UTC

In message <tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
2023 18:21:33, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13:11 +0000, Philip Hole
><news@theholefamily.org> wrote:
[]
>>As an example, I was paying a small fortune for a very poor basic
>>broadband. Then VM came along and was welcomed despite being relatively
>>expensive.
[]
>I contacted them on chat wossit, said would leave as cheaper
>elsewhere, unless they reduce it and they reduced monthly to a little
>below this year for 24mths and all free phone calls from landline. Had
>none before. We had to point out is over the internet now so should be
>free.

By "over the internet", I assume you mean VoIP (which PlusNet are
apparently not going to offer, though I hope they change their mind). I
can see that VoIP calls to other VoIP folk might be free, but presumably
they can charge for calls that end in a real line, as presumably they
have to pay for them. Or am I not getting what you mean?

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1

Re: new phone/broadband

<jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19994&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19994

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:40:04 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:40 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
>2023 18:21:33, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13:11 +0000, Philip Hole
>><news@theholefamily.org> wrote:
>[]
>>>As an example, I was paying a small fortune for a very poor basic
>>>broadband. Then VM came along and was welcomed despite being relatively
>>>expensive.
>[]
>>I contacted them on chat wossit, said would leave as cheaper
>>elsewhere, unless they reduce it and they reduced monthly to a little
>>below this year for 24mths and all free phone calls from landline. Had
>>none before. We had to point out is over the internet now so should be
>>free.
>
>By "over the internet", I assume you mean VoIP (which PlusNet are
>apparently not going to offer, though I hope they change their mind). I
>can see that VoIP calls to other VoIP folk might be free, but presumably
>they can charge for calls that end in a real line, as presumably they
>have to pay for them. Or am I not getting what you mean?

Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
email

Re: new phone/broadband

<$7Q9nhL8s3hlFwSb@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20006&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20006

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:28:44 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:28 UTC

In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
>>2023 18:21:33, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>>>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:13:11 +0000, Philip Hole
>>><news@theholefamily.org> wrote:
>>[]
>>[]
>>>I contacted them on chat wossit, said would leave as cheaper
>>>elsewhere, unless they reduce it and they reduced monthly to a little
>>>below this year for 24mths and all free phone calls from landline. Had
>>>none before. We had to point out is over the internet now so should be
>>>free.
>>
>>By "over the internet", I assume you mean VoIP (which PlusNet are
>>apparently not going to offer, though I hope they change their mind). I
>>can see that VoIP calls to other VoIP folk might be free, but presumably
>>they can charge for calls that end in a real line, as presumably they
>>have to pay for them. Or am I not getting what you mean?
>
>Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
>email

I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
- "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
the end of 2025 of course).

Play dirty. If a fellow contestant asks the audience if they've got any
requests for what he or she should play, reply, "Yeah... Monopoly."

Re: new phone/broadband

<roufoi9d7q78e05q62o3p8b2vama5ndf3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20009&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20009

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:37:25 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:37 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:28:44 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>>On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
>>>2023 18:21:33, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>>>[]
>>>[]
>>>
>>>By "over the internet", I assume you mean VoIP (which PlusNet are
>>>apparently not going to offer, though I hope they change their mind). I
>>>can see that VoIP calls to other VoIP folk might be free, but presumably
>>>they can charge for calls that end in a real line, as presumably they
>>>have to pay for them. Or am I not getting what you mean?
>>
>>Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
>>email
>
>I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>- "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>the end of 2025 of course).

You: so all outgoing be free from now
You: ?
You: good
Jamie: Yes as you have a voip
You: ok so how much a mth?
Jamie: £24pm
You: mwah for the calls
Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
You: total mthly 24 and alll calls?
Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
Jamie: yes £24pm for everything
You: can i have that in writing pls, email
You: am 78 and suspicious :)
Jamie: you can get it in an email transcript after the chat, would you
like to upgrade to this plan?
You: yes please from xxxxxx?
You: or whenever pay date is
Jamie: I can get this sorted for you, It may even go ahead today! It
just means you start saving money straight away :)

================
Jamie: Your new Broadband plan is for 24 months and will start from
22/12/2023
Jamie: yes
Jamie: that is fine
You: well paid up to mid jan on old plan
You: so start then?
You: not pay twice?
Jamie: no it will be pro rata caluclated so you won't pay anymore than
you should
You: oh ok
Jamie: Your home broadband plan is Fibre 2 and includes up to 63 mbps
average speeds
You: thank you
You: all sounds gd
Jamie: I’m now going to read the following marketing permission
options which would apply to all services in your order.Your
permissions can be changed at any time in your Vodafone account or the
My Vodafone app. Our Privacy policy explains further information on
how and where we use and collect your personal data as well as your
rights to object and can be found at vodafone.co.uk/privacyWe’ll keep
you up to date with our latest products, special offers and rewards.
This will be via mail, email, text, MMS, phone and sometimes via
personalised advertising on third party sites and apps. Some offers
may be tailored just for you based on your account and the products
you’ve bought from us, and how and where you use these services on our
network. We may also ask you to share your thoughts about our products
and services.Is this Ok with you? Or would you like to manage the
permissions settings individually?
Jamie: Happy for these to remain the same?
You: k
Jamie: thank you
You: well if i get too much marketing can change later?
Jamie: You will receive a discount of £12 for 24 months
Jamie: yes it can be via the app or on here :)
You: gd
Jamie: I will send you a document with all the important information
we have discussed about your chosen Broadband Plan. Are you happy to
proceed?
Jamie: We have sent this to you via email.
You: yes thanks

Re: new phone/broadband

<ccoFujMR$BilFwN8@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20012&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20012

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:10:57 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:10 UTC

In message <roufoi9d7q78e05q62o3p8b2vama5ndf3j@4ax.com> at Sun, 24 Dec
2023 09:37:25, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:28:44 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>>2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>>Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
>>>email
>>
>>I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>>VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>>- "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>>an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>>using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>>connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>>the end of 2025 of course).
>

>You: so all outgoing be free from now
>You: ?
>You: good
>Jamie: Yes as you have a voip
>You: ok so how much a mth?
>Jamie: £24pm
>You: mwah for the calls
>Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>You: total mthly 24 and alll calls?
>Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>Jamie: yes £24pm for everything

Well, that does sound conclusive - nothing about the calls having to be
only to other voip users.

>You: can i have that in writing pls, email
>You: am 78 and suspicious :)

(-:
[]
>Jamie: I will send you a document with all the important information
>we have discussed about your chosen Broadband Plan. Are you happy to
>proceed?
>Jamie: We have sent this to you via email.
>You: yes thanks

I hope there wasn't anything unexpected in it.

.... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.

Re: new phone/broadband

<um9ev4$2jj5m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20022&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20022

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:24:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QBUiPEN3CmjXrtv1+BZPMcqK2vs=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:24 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
> 2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:45:09 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <tqkboi1dqaduh1cmv1b15t5dbfj6q1fen7@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
>>> 2023 18:21:33, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>>> []
>>> []
>>>
>>> By "over the internet", I assume you mean VoIP (which PlusNet are
>>> apparently not going to offer, though I hope they change their mind). I
>>> can see that VoIP calls to other VoIP folk might be free, but presumably
>>> they can charge for calls that end in a real line, as presumably they
>>> have to pay for them. Or am I not getting what you mean?
>>
>> Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
>> email
>
> I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
> VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
> - "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
> an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
> using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
> connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
> the end of 2025 of course).

Depending on one’s provider, one may still not know when one’s landline is
going go vanish. Worse still, some twerps somewhere haven’t done any
homework and it’s reported that people on hime dialysis, using the pendant
system and other life saving devices have been left high and dry
(No one we know, but one of the Y & Y stories very recently.)

Mrs McT

Re: new phone/broadband

<um9jqa$2kc5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20037&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20037

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:47:20 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:47 UTC

On 24/12/2023 14:24, Chris wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>> 2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> Yes VoIP and they said all free, got the text of the call sent to
>>> email
>>
>> I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>> VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>> - "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>> an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>> using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>> connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>> the end of 2025 of course).
>
> Depending on one’s provider, one may still not know when one’s landline is
> going go vanish. Worse still, some twerps somewhere haven’t done any
> homework and it’s reported that people on hime dialysis, using the pendant
> system and other life saving devices have been left high and dry
> (No one we know, but one of the Y & Y stories very recently.)
>
> Mrs McT

Yes, this appears to be another one of those brilliant new developments
that will be of tremendous benefit to everybody involved apart from all
those who were overlooked and can't use it which results in a partial
roll out necessitating running two systems which bis a bit of an
inconvenience for quite a few of those involved.

--
Ric

Re: new phone/broadband

<um9k6r$2keev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20041&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20041

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:54:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5ql49/cPAXZCklnhR6/PBhladbU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:54 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 24/12/2023 14:24, Chris wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>>> 2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>>> VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>>> - "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>>> an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>>> using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>>> connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>>> the end of 2025 of course).
>>
>> Depending on one’s provider, one may still not know when one’s landline is
>> going go vanish. Worse still, some twerps somewhere haven’t done any
>> homework and it’s reported that people on hime dialysis, using the pendant
>> system and other life saving devices have been left high and dry
>> (No one we know, but one of the Y & Y stories very recently.)
>>
>> Mrs McT
>
> Yes, this appears to be another one of those brilliant new developments
> that will be of tremendous benefit to everybody involved apart from all
> those who were overlooked and can't use it which results in a partial
> roll out necessitating running two systems which bis a bit of an
> inconvenience for quite a few of those involved.

They used to have gauge-change sheds on the railway…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: new phone/broadband

<DR_hN.81465$PuZ9.45418@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20052&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20052

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:35:15 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:35 UTC

On 24-Dec-23 12:10, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <roufoi9d7q78e05q62o3p8b2vama5ndf3j@4ax.com> at Sun, 24 Dec
> 2023 09:37:25, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 00:28:44 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>>> 2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>>> VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>>> - "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>>> an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>>> using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>>> connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>>> the end of 2025 of course).
>>

>> You: so all outgoing be free from now
>> You: ?
>> You: good
>> Jamie: Yes as you have a voip
>> You: ok so how much a mth?
>> Jamie: £24pm
>> You: mwah for the calls
>> Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>> You: total mthly 24 and alll calls?
>> Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>> Jamie: yes £24pm for everything
>
> Well, that does sound conclusive - nothing about the calls having to be
> only to other voip users.
>
>> You: can i have that in writing pls, email
>> You: am 78 and suspicious :)
>
> (-:
> []
>> Jamie: I will send you a document with all the important information
>> we have discussed about your chosen Broadband Plan. Are you happy to
>> proceed?
>> Jamie: We have sent this to you via email.
>> You: yes thanks
>
> I hope there wasn't anything unexpected in it.

No mention of keeping ones existing landline number.
We've had the same number for over 4 decades, and trying to inform
everyone who may try to contact us via that number[1]... doesn't bear
thinking about.

[1] 'T'is Christmas, and hence the season of phone calls to/from distant
relatives & trying to catch up on who has been doing what, and where,
for the last 12 months.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: new phone/broadband

<um9v1a$2m41v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20054&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20054

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:58:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2G8M6YXBDt15Lh5hz2Tx+NLtRCM=
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:58 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 24/12/2023 14:24, Chris wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <jrkeoidsq7c8tjt1v31es0v6or4bura3t5@4ax.com> at Sat, 23 Dec
>>> 2023 21:40:04, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> I too have free landline calls. Are you sure they're including
>>> VoIP-to-landline calls too? Though they could well be. But what you said
>>> - "free phone calls from landline" - might only apply to calls made with
>>> an old-fashioned telephone on your landline (which you may have stopped
>>> using for such calls - many people no longer even have a 'phone
>>> connected to their landline, but in most cases it still works - until
>>> the end of 2025 of course).
>>
>> Depending on one’s provider, one may still not know when one’s landline is
>> going go vanish. Worse still, some twerps somewhere haven’t done any
>> homework and it’s reported that people on hime dialysis, using the pendant
>> system and other life saving devices have been left high and dry
>> (No one we know, but one of the Y & Y stories very recently.)
>>
>> Mrs McT
>
> Yes, this appears to be another one of those brilliant new developments
> that will be of tremendous benefit to everybody involved apart from all
> those who were overlooked and can't use it which results in a partial
> roll out necessitating running two systems which bis a bit of an
> inconvenience for quite a few of those involved.

All those people who don’t live anywhere near a digital signal for a start!

Mrs McT

Re: new phone/broadband

<rt9hoitl555ppibi91mq5anbmgstsnp8so@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20059&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20059

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 21:51:25 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 21:51 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:35:15 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 24-Dec-23 12:10, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <roufoi9d7q78e05q62o3p8b2vama5ndf3j@4ax.com> at Sun, 24 Dec
>> 2023 09:37:25, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> You: so all outgoing be free from now
>>> You: ?
>>> You: good
>>> Jamie: Yes as you have a voip
>>> You: ok so how much a mth?
>>> Jamie: £24pm
>>> You: mwah for the calls
>>> Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>>> You: total mthly 24 and alll calls?
>>> Jamie: Calls are included as it is voip
>>> Jamie: yes £24pm for everything
>>
>> Well, that does sound conclusive - nothing about the calls having to be
>> only to other voip users.
>>
>>> You: can i have that in writing pls, email
>>> You: am 78 and suspicious :)
>>
>> (-:
>> []
>>> Jamie: I will send you a document with all the important information
>>> we have discussed about your chosen Broadband Plan. Are you happy to
>>> proceed?
>>> Jamie: We have sent this to you via email.
>>> You: yes thanks
>>
>> I hope there wasn't anything unexpected in it.
>
>No mention of keeping ones existing landline number.
>We've had the same number for over 4 decades, and trying to inform
>everyone who may try to contact us via that number[1]... doesn't bear
>thinking about.
>
>[1] 'T'is Christmas, and hence the season of phone calls to/from distant
>relatives & trying to catch up on who has been doing what, and where,
>for the last 12 months.

I think we did say keep the landline number too at some point

Re: new phone/broadband

<vZbZfbodCNilFwqt@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20060&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20060

Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 00:45:17 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 00:45 UTC

In message <um9v1a$2m41v$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:58:50,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
>> On 24/12/2023 14:24, Chris wrote:
>>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[]

>>> Depending on one’s provider, one may still not know when one’s
>>>landline is
>>> going go vanish. Worse still, some twerps somewhere haven’t done any
>>> homework and it’s reported that people on hime dialysis, using the pendant
[]
>> Yes, this appears to be another one of those brilliant new developments
>> that will be of tremendous benefit to everybody involved apart from all
>> those who were overlooked and can't use it which results in a partial
>> roll out necessitating running two systems which bis a bit of an
>> inconvenience for quite a few of those involved.

I'm more than fed up with the fact of being left behind because I'm
_not_ in a life-threatening situation. A bit like that woman I heard on
something - Women's Hour, I think - who had decided, for the first time
in many years, _not_ to work on boxing day or something: she and other
people without children had usually done so "so that the mothers could
be with their families" or some such phrase - but she had decided she
wanted ... well, felt she was being taken advantage of a bit.

>All those people who don’t live anywhere near a digital signal for a start!

Good point.

>Mrs McT

Hopefully, all will be sorted out. It's not completely different from
the switch to digital TV - or, probably a closer parallel, the various
switches they did not _that_ long _after_ that switch that rendered lots
of initial FreeView receivers unusable. (And which some still want to do
- they want to make the whole system T2 [HD], thus rendering all SD-only
kit redundant, or even turn off terrestrial altogether.)

freedom of speech is useless if nobody can hear you.
-- David Harris -- Author, Pegasus Mail Dunedin, May 2002.

Re: new phone/broadband

<h6rmoih26f0nesl55cdt35543k1sg3qmr3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20168&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20168

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 00:21:12 +0000
 by: Penny - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 00:21 UTC

On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 00:45:17 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>Hopefully, all will be sorted out. It's not completely different from
>the switch to digital TV - or, probably a closer parallel, the various
>switches they did not _that_ long _after_ that switch that rendered lots
>of initial FreeView receivers unusable. (And which some still want to do
>- they want to make the whole system T2 [HD], thus rendering all SD-only
>kit redundant, or even turn off terrestrial altogether.)

I'm annoyed by the switch to mostly HD channels, not because I can't view
them (I can, on my 15-year-old set) but because they hog far more space on
my Humax satellite box (1 terrabite).
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959