From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: "Nanny knows best"
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:53:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:53 UTC

I happened upon what is to me a deplorable example of Nannyism on the part of
Apple's software designers yesterday. I was working among a set of files in
iCloud Drive and I decided that I wanted to put an alias of a .pdf document in
the Preview folder into a folder within the Pages folder.

It would not let me!

I tried with copies of the alias and of the file itself, either direct or via
another folder within iCoud Drive. I tried other tricks of various sorts, but
in every case the mouse pointer turned into the No Entry icon.

Hitherto I have been able to put any file (and this includes applications)
into any folder and it has worked as expected. This restriction seems a
departure from the basic freedom that has always been a feature of Apple. I
wonder what was in the minds of the designers when they imposed it?

I did find a way to thwart the System in the end.

John.

--
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.

Re: "Nanny knows best"

<UL1fN.12070$Do46.2255@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20173&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20173

Subject: Re: "Nanny knows best"
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: boaterdavetj@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:26:44 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:26 UTC

On 15/12/2023 08:53, John Hill wrote:
> I happened upon what is to me a deplorable example of Nannyism on the part of
> Apple's software designers yesterday. I was working among a set of files in
> iCloud Drive and I decided that I wanted to put an alias of a .pdf document in
> the Preview folder into a folder within the Pages folder.
>
> It would not let me!
>
> I tried with copies of the alias and of the file itself, either direct or via
> another folder within iCoud Drive. I tried other tricks of various sorts, but
> in every case the mouse pointer turned into the No Entry icon.
>
> Hitherto I have been able to put any file (and this includes applications)
> into any folder and it has worked as expected. This restriction seems a
> departure from the basic freedom that has always been a feature of Apple. I
> wonder what was in the minds of the designers when they imposed it?
>
> I did find a way to thwart the System in the end.

Why were you trying to do these things in your iCloud and not on your
iMac, John?