From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: AirTags, lack of urgency
Date: 18 Dec 2023 15:50:22 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:50 UTC

I bought some AirTags a few months ago, and I still live for the moment that
they save the day by helping me track down a missing item.

But, they certainly have a rather lackadaisical attitude towards reporting
their location. For example, I tossed one into the glove box of the car, but
it rarely tells me where it was less than a couple of hours ago. That's
despite the fact that the same AirTag is shared with someone who uses the car
regularly.

There was a lot of anxiety about technology for stalkers, but on the evidence
so far they wouldn't be very scucessful in that role.

Daniele

Re: AirTags, lack of urgency

<ulriqj$3v40b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20211&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20211

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: AirTags, lack of urgency
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 08:04:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:q4nB2kW1TCT5Ghg6pvvTTwOKfAc=
 by: Chris - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 08:04 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> I bought some AirTags a few months ago, and I still live for the moment that
> they save the day by helping me track down a missing item.
>
> But, they certainly have a rather lackadaisical attitude towards reporting
> their location. For example, I tossed one into the glove box of the car, but
> it rarely tells me where it was less than a couple of hours ago. That's
> despite the fact that the same AirTag is shared with someone who uses the car
> regularly.

Just this weekend I used mine to find my keys in house.

I also like the "left behind" feature. When I'm travelling I leave my keys
in my suitcase in my hotel room. It reassures me when I pings to say I left
them in the room.

> There was a lot of anxiety about technology for stalkers, but on the evidence
> so far they wouldn't be very scucessful in that role.

I don't suppose by putting them in a sealed environment is going to help
with accuracy.

Re: AirTags, lack of urgency

<1qlzl65.quk7ntck2qvqN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20219&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20219

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:25:36 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:25 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> I bought some AirTags a few months ago, and I still live for the moment that
> they save the day by helping me track down a missing item.
>
> But, they certainly have a rather lackadaisical attitude towards reporting
> their location. For example, I tossed one into the glove box of the car, but
> it rarely tells me where it was less than a couple of hours ago. That's
> despite the fact that the same AirTag is shared with someone who uses the car
> regularly.

Your glove box may be too well-shielded.
Even if it is plastic it may be metalised.
My experience is different. A family member borrowed my car,
and within an hour he was warned that an unknown Airtag had been
folowing him, complete with an itenerary of where he had been.
(the tag is attached to the car keys) I could have followed him.

> There was a lot of anxiety about technology for stalkers, but on the
> evidence so far they wouldn't be very scucessful in that role.

That depends on whether it matters.
I happen to know someone who must be really afraid
of being stalked. (by an ex) She is worried indeed,
and takes many precautions. (and not just against Airtags)

Jan