There's no such thing as a free lunch. -- Milton Friendman

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / The Umra Recipe Book

SubjectAuthor
* The Umra Recipe BookRosie Mitchell
+- The Umra Recipe BookVicky
+* The Umra Recipe BookRosie Mitchell
|+* The Umra Recipe BookSteve Hague
||`- The Umra Recipe BookRosie Mitchell
|`* The Umra Recipe BookPenny
| `* The Umra Recipe BookNick Odell
|  `- The Umra Recipe BookPenny
`* The Umra Recipe BookJane Vernon
 +* The Umra Recipe Bookkrw
 |`- The Umra Recipe BookVicky
 `* The Umra Recipe BookBen Blaney
  `- The Umra Recipe BookMike McMillan

1
The Umra Recipe Book

<8734vmfh7g.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20232&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20232

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: The Umra Recipe Book
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:02:43 +0000
sha1:J0K0K26rASlgIurQPQY70pqoYIo=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:02 UTC

Answering my own question in another thread, I see that the Umra Recipe
Book ("Food enjoyed by the sort of people who like listening to The
Archers") is still online. Perhaps I should have let Jane tell us this
as it was her project but anyway it's at
http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm

It's got a dusty, cobwebby, BTF¹ look about it, and is in need of some
TLC, but it's both a lovely resource and a memorial to a number of much
missed Umrats.

Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.

Rosie

¹ Before The Fall

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<7beroi1f8b79imj6a3tieiqebbvsn69cn9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20234&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20234

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: The Umra Recipe Book
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:09:19 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:09 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:02:43 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
<rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

>Answering my own question in another thread, I see that the Umra Recipe
>Book ("Food enjoyed by the sort of people who like listening to The
>Archers") is still online. Perhaps I should have let Jane tell us this
>as it was her project but anyway it's at
>http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm
>
>It's got a dusty, cobwebby, BTF¹ look about it, and is in need of some
>TLC, but it's both a lovely resource and a memorial to a number of much
>missed Umrats.
>

>Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
>reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.
>
>Rosie
>

>¹ Before The Fall

Thanks, Rosie. I really enjoyed browsing through that. A couple don't
work, one of Chris's. 3 frozen Christmas puds!

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<87le9ajgel.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20330&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20330

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:55:30 +0000
sha1:EOLXiU0iurhlKlUL4YfSjPT0zXE=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:55 UTC

Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes:

> Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
> reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.

Don't all shout at once!

I've made my own structured document of it for my own private use. I'd
make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
now at least.

Rosie

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<kvferbFmt34U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20350&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20350

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:27:07 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:27 UTC

On 31/12/2023 19:55, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
>> reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.
>
> Don't all shout at once!
>
> I've made my own structured document of it for my own private use. I'd
> make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
> now at least.
>
> Rosie
Can we add to it? I have a cracking recipe for a blue cheese based sauce
which seriously enhances beef or pork.

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<875y0djj40.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20354&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20354

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 13:09:19 +0000
sha1:SseSPuCVIl8+02J87Sr86yhYcJQ=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 13:09 UTC

Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> writes:

> On 31/12/2023 19:55, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
>>> reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.
>> Don't all shout at once!
>> I've made my own structured document of it for my own private
>> use. I'd
>> make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
>> now at least.
>> Rosie
> Can we add to it? I have a cracking recipe for a blue cheese based
> sauce which seriously enhances beef or pork.

This is kind of what I hoped for it.

Rosie

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<1uh5pi9l42egf6tjtishojq4sagtpnh3g7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20360&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20360

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 14:11:31 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 14:11 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:55:30 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
<rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
>> reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.
>
>Don't all shout at once!
>
>I've made my own structured document of it for my own private use. I'd
>make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
>now at least.
>
>Rosie

Since it still exists and Jane still has access to it, I don't see the
need.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<9bm5pilc5t2frh0b9meck8r0eihmceal1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20365&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20365

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 15:47:18 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:47 UTC

On Mon, 01 Jan 2024 14:11:31 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:55:30 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
><rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...
>
>>Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Would there be any interest, Jane willing, in my picking it up and
>>> reviving it? It would work very well in wiki form I think.
>>
>>Don't all shout at once!
>>
>>I've made my own structured document of it for my own private use. I'd
>>make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
>>now at least.
>>
>>Rosie
>
>Since it still exists and Jane still has access to it, I don't see the
>need.

I agree with you.

I think there are other considerations too. One is that Jane's site -
which IIRC was completely hand coded - is a classic example of the web
design of the time[1] and doesn't need to be altered or updated. I'd
be reluctant to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

There's also an issue of intellectual property. In an age where
machines are unthinkingly scraping other people's IP and we are
becoming more aware of it, do we want thinkingly to stoop to the same
level? There are an awful lot of dead or missing umrats represented by
that cookbook and doing the right thing by them would be a near
impossible task.

If anyone wants to start a fresh project with fresh material or even
old material given with consent, that's fine by me but let's cherish
Jane's excellent work for what it is.

Nick
[1]And I feel the same about your site, too, Penny. Hands off that as
well!

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<fb1hpidllm0d8565dflna7mq6onca6fvp4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20496&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20496

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 22:47:48 +0000
 by: Penny - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:47 UTC

On Mon, 01 Jan 2024 15:47:18 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
scrawled in the dust...

>On Mon, 01 Jan 2024 14:11:31 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:55:30 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
>><rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>>Don't all shout at once!
>>>
>>>I've made my own structured document of it for my own private use. I'd
>>>make it available but as the demand doesn't appear be there I won't, for
>>>now at least.
>>>
>>>Rosie
>>
>>Since it still exists and Jane still has access to it, I don't see the
>>need.
>
>I agree with you.
>
>I think there are other considerations too. One is that Jane's site -
>which IIRC was completely hand coded - is a classic example of the web
>design of the time[1] and doesn't need to be altered or updated. I'd
>be reluctant to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.
>
>There's also an issue of intellectual property. In an age where
>machines are unthinkingly scraping other people's IP and we are
>becoming more aware of it, do we want thinkingly to stoop to the same
>level? There are an awful lot of dead or missing umrats represented by
>that cookbook and doing the right thing by them would be a near
>impossible task.
>
>If anyone wants to start a fresh project with fresh material or even
>old material given with consent, that's fine by me but let's cherish
>Jane's excellent work for what it is.
>
>Nick
>[1]And I feel the same about your site, too, Penny. Hands off that as
>well!

Thanks, Nick, but I don't really have any control over my Clarenet/freeuk
sites any more. I'm sorry I deleted so much from the umra site - like Sid
and the Nun.
Their continuing existence is probably down to laziness on somebody's part.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<kvsnb2F6q7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20507&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20507

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:11:46 +0000
 by: Jane Vernon - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:11 UTC

Thanks, Rosie, for reading it and noticing it. There is always a link
to the recipe pages on my sig so anyone can access it at any time.

Thanks, Nick O for noticing that it was written by hand! I still do my
websites that way, more or less, but with the aid of CoffeeCup and using
CSS. Over the years I've had quite a bit of help from Martin with that.

Having said all of that, to be realistic, I would no longer want the
hassle of adding recipes to the site (and rarely have the time/energy to
visit umra). If it's a project Rosie would like to take on, I'd be very
pleased with that. I could leave what I have in place but put a link to
Rosie's new version at the top. How would that be, Rosie?

I am suffering from either post-viral fatigue or long covid if you
believe I could have had covid in April 2019. (I do.) Currently I have
positional labyrinthitis, which is now lasting a long time, not
severely, but bad enough to feed right into the fatigue. Last year was
a year of immense stress - problems with getting building work started
properly on my new house, resulting in more expensive bridging loan;
death of Mike; broken shoulder; two bouts of covid and now the
labyrinthitis. The house *may* be ready early March but very dependent
on weather. Difficulty selling this one.

So Rosie, you'd be doing me a favour, I think.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<hrqcnVV8i6sJ-wT4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20523&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20523

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 14:41:30 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 14:41 UTC

On 6.1.24 10:11, Jane Vernon wrote:
> if you believe I could have had covid in April 2019.  (I do.)

Me Miss I do miss.

A good friend of the good lady wife was struggling with a continuing and
persistent cough throughout October / November 2019. The good lady wife
was then struck equally badly through November / December 2019. In late
December I had a cough and there was one day in late December when I
felt very unwell. My wife knew I was unwell when I laid down on the
sofa for the day and part of the following day and did not want to do
anything.

So yes I believe it. It was around long before the first cases - but
because no-one can get near a doctor (as far as I can tell there are
none based at our surgery any longer) so the medic network did not get
alerted until Italians started falling off their perches.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<unbs2j$lifk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20524&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20524

From: benblaney@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:36:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:36 UTC

On Jan 6, 2024 at 5:11:46 AM EST, "Jane Vernon"
<spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:

> I am suffering from either post-viral fatigue or long covid if you
> believe I could have had covid in April 2019. (I do.)

Funnily enough, when the world shut down in March 2020, a friend of mine
talked about the medical situation he'd had in November 2019, and it was
exactly like covid. At the time, we talked about how it couldn't have been.
Yet in the last six months, I've talked with a number of other people - now
including you - who believe the same.

I suppose it's worth remembering that the "big" covid was covid-19, so I
suppose it's possible that you had covid-18 or covid-17.

> Currently I have
> positional labyrinthitis, which is now lasting a long time, not
> severely, but bad enough to feed right into the fatigue. Last year was
> a year of immense stress - problems with getting building work started
> properly on my new house, resulting in more expensive bridging loan;
> death of Mike; broken shoulder; two bouts of covid and now the
> labyrinthitis. The house *may* be ready early March but very dependent
> on weather. Difficulty selling this one.

Gosh, Jane, that's a lot. So sorry to hear. Wishing you all the best.

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<unbv29$m0b2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20529&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20529

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:27:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sXqn1MWWgkshtC70Kbimw6fhAzg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:27 UTC

Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2024 at 5:11:46 AM EST, "Jane Vernon"
> <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I am suffering from either post-viral fatigue or long covid if you
>> believe I could have had covid in April 2019. (I do.)
>
> Funnily enough, when the world shut down in March 2020, a friend of mine
> talked about the medical situation he'd had in November 2019, and it was
> exactly like covid. At the time, we talked about how it couldn't have been.
> Yet in the last six months, I've talked with a number of other people - now
> including you - who believe the same.
>
> I suppose it's worth remembering that the "big" covid was covid-19, so I
> suppose it's possible that you had covid-18 or covid-17.
>
>> Currently I have
>> positional labyrinthitis, which is now lasting a long time, not
>> severely, but bad enough to feed right into the fatigue. Last year was
>> a year of immense stress - problems with getting building work started
>> properly on my new house, resulting in more expensive bridging loan;
>> death of Mike; broken shoulder; two bouts of covid and now the
>> labyrinthitis. The house *may* be ready early March but very dependent
>> on weather. Difficulty selling this one.
>
> Gosh, Jane, that's a lot. So sorry to hear. Wishing you all the best.

Well, apparently, I had Covid-22 early last year. I felt a little lethargic
for 36 hours and did in fact sit and rest for a few hours (when I say ‘sit
and rest’, often what I do in the circumstances is go and lie down for a
few hours). A few days later a package arrived through the post from the
NHS which I was not expecting… turned out to be Covid test kits - with the
instructions (‘cos I’m classed as an old codger) to use one test that day.
I dutifully followed the directions only to find out I had had Covid! If I
never suffer more than I had then -I’m very lucky!!!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: The Umra Recipe Book

<v15jpi58ussfdgr3bsupsa19j0sjctru4l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20550&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20550

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 18:15:11 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:15 UTC

On Sat, 6 Jan 2024 14:41:30 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>because no-one can get near a doctor (as far as I can tell there are
>none based at our surgery any longer) so the medic network did not get
>alerted until Italians started falling off their perches

I got a phone call from my surgery last week, a Friday at 5.50pm! Not
a call I'd begged the receptionist for previously, an unexpected one.
She wanted tocheck on me! As an elderly person, at least I think she
knew my age although she knew nothing else on my record, apparently.
She said it was my annual health check. I said I'd never had one
before and she said some people got them and some not. luck of the
drawm criteria met etc. I said B was asthmatic and used to get checked
annually but not for a few years now (we've been here 11)

I asked at some point was she a Dr and she said she was a Dr's
Assistant, but did take GP appointments. I should have asked what
training or qualifications she had, but thought of that later. She
asked about was I disabled, what help I needed, how did I manage meals
and had I had any falls. I said it should be on my record that my last
visit to the surgery, in lockdown, was because I has having falls. She
obviously had not seen my record.

And in that visit I was seen my a Dr who was from A&E Watford,
presumably getting GP experience. He went out to check with, possibly
a regular surgery GP, a couple of times and ordered blood tests, which
led to iron tablets and D12 ones and then I had both cataracts done
and fell less. But I did fall in October 2023 and broke my arm. She
didn't know that, although I got copies of the letters from A&E and
the fracture clinic consultant to the GP surgery so it was on their
record.

She said was there anything else and I said I need more Ibuprofen as
the arm was painful and I needed to up the dose. She said she'd sort
it, but didn't. Next day when I went for my walk I went in to the
surgery as I began to wonder if she really was from them and the
receptionist, who knew nothing, perhaps a Saturday girl? said yes.
They did these checks. B said this is because they get payments for
them not but no longer for asthma ones.