From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: iPad saved passwords
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 19:51:04 +0000
 by: Graham J - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 19:51 UTC

Debbie has a new iPad running iPadOS 16.6. She wants to log into
facebook, but has forgotten her password.

She has an old iPad Mini 2 running iPadOS 12.5.7. On this, her facebook
password is remembered. We can see it by following the "saved
passwords" option.

But if she uses this password on the new iPad, facebook rejects it. In
fact, it says that password was last used about 3 years ago.

Does the old iPad store passwords in a more obscure location?

Alternatively, can anybody suggest a good way to recover this password?

--
Graham J

Re: iPad saved passwords

<un0hug$2jean$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20348&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20348

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad saved passwords
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:36:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:36 UTC

On 1 Jan 2024 at 19:51:04 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Debbie has a new iPad running iPadOS 16.6. She wants to log into
> facebook, but has forgotten her password.
>
> She has an old iPad Mini 2 running iPadOS 12.5.7. On this, her facebook
> password is remembered. We can see it by following the "saved
> passwords" option.
>
> But if she uses this password on the new iPad, facebook rejects it. In
> fact, it says that password was last used about 3 years ago.
>
> Does the old iPad store passwords in a more obscure location?
>
> Alternatively, can anybody suggest a good way to recover this password?

Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new one and
save it safe someplace?

Old John.

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: iPad saved passwords

<un0ia4$2jfpo$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20349&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20349

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:42:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:42 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2024 at 19:51:04 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Debbie has a new iPad running iPadOS 16.6. She wants to log into
>> facebook, but has forgotten her password.
>>
>> She has an old iPad Mini 2 running iPadOS 12.5.7. On this, her facebook
>> password is remembered. We can see it by following the "saved
>> passwords" option.
>>
>> But if she uses this password on the new iPad, facebook rejects it. In
>> fact, it says that password was last used about 3 years ago.
>>
>> Does the old iPad store passwords in a more obscure location?
>>
>> Alternatively, can anybody suggest a good way to recover this password?
>
> Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new one and
> save it safe someplace?

I wouldn’t know but are Facebook reluctant to reset passwords, perhaps
preferring one to open a new account to cynically increase their user
numbers? Gosh that seems almost like a conspiracy theory ;-)

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: iPad saved passwords

<un0jfg$2jkks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20352&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20352

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:02:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:02 UTC

On 2 Jan 2024 at 08:42:44 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 1 Jan 2024 at 19:51:04 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Debbie has a new iPad running iPadOS 16.6. She wants to log into
>>> facebook, but has forgotten her password.
>>>
>>> She has an old iPad Mini 2 running iPadOS 12.5.7. On this, her facebook
>>> password is remembered. We can see it by following the "saved
>>> passwords" option.
>>>
>>> But if she uses this password on the new iPad, facebook rejects it. In
>>> fact, it says that password was last used about 3 years ago.
>>>
>>> Does the old iPad store passwords in a more obscure location?
>>>
>>> Alternatively, can anybody suggest a good way to recover this password?
>>
>> Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new one and
>> save it safe someplace?
>
> I wouldn’t know but are Facebook reluctant to reset passwords, perhaps
> preferring one to open a new account to cynically increase their user
> numbers? Gosh that seems almost like a conspiracy theory ;-)

I've never had to try (long live password managers) and didn't check what
happened if you try and log on with an incorrect password. I just assumed it
would follow the standard pattern. Always dangerous!

Old John.
--
Classic computing: Computers do what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do.
Modern computing: Computers do what they want to do, no matter what you tell them to do.

Re: iPad saved passwords

<un0lup$2k0o2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20355&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20355

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:44:42 +0000
 by: Graham J - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:44 UTC

John Hill wrote:
[snip]

> Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new one and
> save it safe someplace?

Yes. Says it will send an email with a code to:

d*****e@d*******.p*******.com

Which does not relate to any email account that Debbie knows of. Given
her propensity to forget passwords that's not very useful! But it might
suggest her account has been hacked.

--
Graham J

Re: iPad saved passwords

<kvi5fuF7emqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20357&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20357

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 2 Jan 2024 10:05:50 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:05 UTC

On 2 Jan 2024 at 09:44:42 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> John Hill wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new one and
>> save it safe someplace?
>
> Yes. Says it will send an email with a code to:
>
> d*****e@d*******.p*******.com
>
> Which does not relate to any email account that Debbie knows of. Given
> her propensity to forget passwords that's not very useful! But it might
> suggest her account has been hacked.

With the still-signed-in device, she can go to her use prefs in Facebook
and see what email that is, what devices have been logging in, and kick
off any that she doesn't recognise (best shoulder surf this to make sure
she doesn't kick herself off), and indeed change her password.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Hell hath no fury like someone who is enraged that
someone else is getting away with something they're

Re: iPad saved passwords

<gWF*Q8pzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20359&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20359

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 02 Jan 2024 12:08:10 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 12:08 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2024 at 09:44:42 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > John Hill wrote:
> > [snip]
> >

> >> Might not the simple solution be to use "Forgot Password?", get a new
> >> one and save it safe someplace?
> >
> > Yes. Says it will send an email with a code to:
> >
> > d*****e@d*******.p*******.com

That looks like debbie@something, but not sure what the two part name would
be. something.plus.com if you are Plusnet customers perhaps?

(unless the attacker set up a special debbie@ address it seems less likely
you've been hacked)

> > Which does not relate to any email account that Debbie knows of. Given
> > her propensity to forget passwords that's not very useful! But it might
> > suggest her account has been hacked.
>
> With the still-signed-in device, she can go to her use prefs in Facebook
> and see what email that is, what devices have been logging in, and kick
> off any that she doesn't recognise (best shoulder surf this to make sure
> she doesn't kick herself off), and indeed change her password.

Will changing the password ask for the old one?

I wonder if it's possible to add a recovery email address, phone number or
similar, to also receive the password reset. But maybe that will ask for
the password too.

While you are in there, one other thing I'd do is check any personal details
you have provided to Facebook are accurate, if it's possible you've (ahem)
entered fictional ones. One thing Facebook do if they suspect something
fishy going on is to lock accounts and ask for photo ID - it would help if
the things like name and date of birth match the ones on your ID. Otherwise
there's a risk you fail the ID check and they refuse to unlock the account.
If your Facebook name is Henry's Cat then you may have a problem.

Theo