Stay on the trail.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)J. P. Gilliver
+* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
|`* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
| +* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)J. P. Gilliver
| |`* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
| | `- OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Mike McMillan
| `* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
|  `* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)J. P. Gilliver
|   +- OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Iain Archer
|   `* OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Clive Arthur
|    +- OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)J. P. Gilliver
|    `- OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
`* Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)carolet
 +* Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
 |`- Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)Chris
 `- Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)J. P. Gilliver

1
OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<26tJ0Ohc5xklFw6g@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20375&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20375

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:19:40 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:19 UTC

I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:

1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
anyone know?

2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
of them.

There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)

Where [other presenters] tackle the world with a box of watercolours, he
takes a spanner. - David Butcher (on Guy Martin), RT 2015/1/31-2/6

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un1ak9$2oged$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20388&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20388

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:37:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+F4TYsK5LW6CVGokX0UUcoW7XAg=
 by: Chris - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:37 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>
> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
> anyone know?

Yes, turned them into Christmas cards.

Mrs McT
> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
> pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
> of them.
>
> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un1ap7$2oh92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20389&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20389

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:40:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cMNGI1Z2nwYWPsGpSceG0JNodJs=
 by: Chris - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:40 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>>
>> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
>> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
>> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
>> anyone know?
>>
> Yes, turned them into Christmas cards.
>
> Mrs McT
>> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
>> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
>> pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
>> of them.
>>
>> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
>> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
>> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
>> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
>> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
>> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)

RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<YlHyTsMyPFllFw3C@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20400&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20400

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:20:34 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:20 UTC

In message <un1ap7$2oh92$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:40:23,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>>>
>>> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
>>> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
>>> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
>>> anyone know?
>>>
>> Yes, turned them into Christmas cards.
>>
>> Mrs McT

How?

>>> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
>>> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
[]
>>> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
[]
>RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
>haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>
>Mrs McT

Thanks. If anyone knows of any supermarket/charity chain collecting used
cards/stamps this year, please share.

"Bother,"saidPoohwhenhisspacebarrefusedtowork.

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un426g$38tcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20448&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20448

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8pmHXQw1uxj2UOrIX0aU2DRmmEM=
 by: Chris - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
>>> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they
>>> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year?
>>> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
>>> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
>>> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
>>> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
>>> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
>>> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)
>>

> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
> haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>
> Mrs McT

https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/save-your-stamps-for-rnib/

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un42u5$390j0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20450&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20450

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:44:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HDcC6NwqKS3wcSwwGybCQvFiSdM=
 by: Chris - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:44 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <un1ap7$2oh92$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:40:23,
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, turned them into Christmas cards.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>
> How?

> []
> []
>> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
>> haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>>
> Thanks. If anyone knows of any supermarket/charity chain collecting used
> cards/stamps this year, please share.

I don’t know as I’ve never seen one and certainly never done such a craft.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<SyuAGigWGZllFwWt@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20451&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20451

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:55:50 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:55 UTC

In message <un426g$38tcv$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32:16,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
[]
>> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
>> haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>>

>https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/s
>ave-your-stamps-for-rnib/

Thanks. Good to see they're prepaid envelopes/boxes. Sadly, I don't
think I've received enough (less than half a dozen - won't get far
towards the £20 a kilo they get!) to justify asking for one of their
envelopes, but I'll keep the details for future reference.

There should be a place on the ballot paper for 'None of the above', and if
enough people filled that in, the system might start to change. - Jeremy
Paxman in RT, 2014/1/25-31

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un43v0$395l2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20452&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20452

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:02:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:adHwgHexUq0FvlL/UyjJm642l3o=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:02 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <un1ap7$2oh92$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:40:23,
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes

>> How?

>> []
>> []
>>> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
>>> haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>>
>> Thanks. If anyone knows of any supermarket/charity chain collecting used
>> cards/stamps this year, please share.
>
> I don’t know as I’ve never seen one and certainly never done such a craft.
>
> Mrs McT

It is a well known fact that card manufacturers have a peak season and it
has been going on for decades now - they call it card dash eons.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un4efe$39ls4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20455&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20455

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:01:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:01 UTC

On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 16:55:50 +0000, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> In message <un426g$38tcv$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32:16,
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>>Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> []
>>> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them, i
>>> haven’t noticed an appeal this year. Will look.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>>

>>https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/s
>>ave-your-stamps-for-rnib/
>>
> Thanks. Good to see they're prepaid envelopes/boxes. Sadly, I don't
> think I've received enough (less than half a dozen - won't get far
> towards the £20 a kilo they get!) to justify asking for one of their
> envelopes, but I'll keep the details for future reference.

I've weighed 40 of the latest stamps, including their backing paper, at 10g.
Double that weight, to make a generous allowance for heavier backing paper
and an ample 1+cm surround, would make for ~1p per stamp of the ordinary
sort. It obviously makes more sense with mass donations into one of their
boxes, which hold 2kg of stamps that can be poured into their envelopes.
It's not crystal clear to me whether they get paid an indiscriminate
£20 per kilo, or whether that's something like the usual return. Their
documentation does go, in some detail, into the relative values of different
items, so I assume that must be relevant to them.

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un4o3s$3bvs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20458&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20458

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 22:46:17 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 22:46 UTC

On 03/01/2024 16:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <un426g$38tcv$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32:16,
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> []
>>> RNIB collect stamps but they’re exact about how one presents them,  i
>>> haven’t noticed an appeal this year.  Will look.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>>

>> https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/s
>> ave-your-stamps-for-rnib/
>>
> Thanks. Good to see they're prepaid envelopes/boxes. Sadly, I don't
> think I've received enough (less than half a dozen - won't get far
> towards the £20 a kilo they get!) to justify asking for one of their
> envelopes, but I'll keep the details for future reference.

I don't know what stamps weigh. But, an A4 sheet of 80gsm paper is 5g
(A0 is 1m^2), so 1kg would be 200 'normal' A4 sheets. A lot of stamps.

[I received a package of valid stamps today. £50 face value for £40,
all commemoratives between 10p and 20p. Lots and lots of pretty stamps,
many with values including 1/2p, and a few Fergie and Andy wedding
stamps. Any royal ones are set aside for cards to RoI in-laws, the rest
I try and theme to the recipient. I would get out more, but I have all
these stamps to sort.]

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<UJJx4LjK6illFwkD@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20459&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20459

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 04:05:30 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 04:05 UTC

In message <un4o3s$3bvs1$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 3 Jan 2024 22:46:17,
Clive Arthur <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> writes
>On 03/01/2024 16:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
[]
>stamps. Any royal ones are set aside for cards to RoI in-laws, the
[]
LOL!

I long for the commercialised Christmas of the 1970s. It's got so religious
now, it's lost its true meaning. - Mike [{at}ostic.demon.co.uk], 2003-12-24

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<un9bkb$7dml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20488&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20488

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:43:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8D5ZajyAjG+HQ6MucLA0LhHsXT4=
 by: Chris - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:43 UTC

Clive Arthur <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/01/2024 16:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <un426g$38tcv$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 3 Jan 2024 16:32:16,
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> []

>>> https://www.rnib.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/do-your-own-fundraising/s
>>> ave-your-stamps-for-rnib/
>>>
>> Thanks. Good to see they're prepaid envelopes/boxes. Sadly, I don't
>> think I've received enough (less than half a dozen - won't get far
>> towards the £20 a kilo they get!) to justify asking for one of their
>> envelopes, but I'll keep the details for future reference.
>
> I don't know what stamps weigh. But, an A4 sheet of 80gsm paper is 5g
> (A0 is 1m^2), so 1kg would be 200 'normal' A4 sheets. A lot of stamps.
>
> [I received a package of valid stamps today. £50 face value for £40,
> all commemoratives between 10p and 20p. Lots and lots of pretty stamps,
> many with values including 1/2p, and a few Fergie and Andy wedding
> stamps. Any royal ones are set aside for cards to RoI in-laws, the rest
> I try and theme to the recipient. I would get out more, but I have all
> these stamps to sort.]

RNIB sent me an envelope ready to post.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<unp0rf$31i0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20673&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20673

From: carolet.umrat@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:18:08 +0000
 by: carolet - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:18 UTC

On 01/01/2024 20:19, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>
> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
> anyone know?
>
> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
> pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
> of them.
>
> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)

I spotted a Christmas Card collection box at the front of my local Tesco
today. It said that it would be there until the 13th. I have no idea
whether they are also at other Tescos.

--
CaroleT

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<unp65p$32fck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20680&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20680

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:48:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GwyTjrMUQkrPc+RFdQT+Bno8TnM=
 by: Chris - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:48 UTC

carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/01/2024 20:19, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>>
>> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
>> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
>> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
>> anyone know?
>>
>> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
>> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
>> pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
>> of them.
>>
>> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
>> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
>> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
>> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
>> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
>> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)
>
> I spotted a Christmas Card collection box at the front of my local Tesco
> today. It said that it would be there until the 13th. I have no idea
> whether they are also at other Tescos.

M & S used to have one pre covid but it’s certainly not there now.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<ENFPbRSUdBolFwe1@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20714&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20714

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:29:08 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC

In message <unp0rf$31i0f$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:18:08,
carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com> writes
[]
>I spotted a Christmas Card collection box at the front of my local
>Tesco today. It said that it would be there until the 13th. I have no
>idea whether they are also at other Tescos.

Thanks! Not sure I'll be going shopping again before then, but useful to
know for next year.

Radio 4 is the civilising influence in this country ... I think it is the most
important institution in this country. - John Humphrys, Radio Times
7-13/06/2003

Re: OT: Christmas cards for recycling? (and stamps?)

<unrsbq$3hm1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20726&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20726

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:19:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZxloyD1Szg10LTM/btIeCmMaQrA=
 by: Chris - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:19 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> carolet <carolet.umrat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/01/2024 20:19, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> I know it's a bit before twelfth night, but:
>>>
>>> 1. In previous years, some supermarkets have had a container for
>>> depositing used Christmas cards. I've often wondered, what did they (or
>>> whoever they gave them to, presumably a charity) actually do with them;
>>> anyone know?
>>>
>>> 2. Anyone know which - if any - supermarkets are doing it this year? (Or
>>> charity shops, or ... anywhere? [(c) Peter Sellers, Balham]) Seems a
>>> pity to just put them in the paper recycling if anyone can make more use
>>> of them.
>>>
>>> There also used to be containers for used stamps, especially Christmas
>>> ones; I presume they bagged them up and sold them to stamp-collectors in
>>> other countries. Again, anyone know of anywhere collecting such? I
>>> rather fear it won't be, as I think stamp-collecting has probably become
>>> very much a niche thing these days. (WIWAL, it was pretty common - more
>>> or less everyone did it, up to a certain age at least.)
>>
>> I spotted a Christmas Card collection box at the front of my local Tesco
>> today. It said that it would be there until the 13th. I have no idea
>> whether they are also at other Tescos.
>>

> M & S used to have one pre covid but it’s certainly not there now.
>
> Mrs McT

A search says Tesco Extra stores and WHS, or ask if schools can use them.

Mrs McT