From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: iCloud question
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:42:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:42 UTC

I have a folder ini loud Xrive marked "Waiting to upload".

Well, OK, but it's been like that for over an hour. How to I get it to upload?
What maight be stopping it?

Old John.

--
Mony a mickle maks a muckle.

Re: iCloud question

<unbtdv$lmu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20386&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20386

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iCloud question
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:59:59 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:59 UTC

On 06/01/2024 12:42, John Hill wrote:
> I have a folder ini loud Xrive marked "Waiting to upload".
>
> Well, OK, but it's been like that for over an hour. How to I get it to upload?
> What maight be stopping it?

Time itself perhaps, phase of the moon, have you tried applying snake
oil? did you sacrifice a spring lamb? ;-).

Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting, it can be minutes, hours,
sometimes it's even days (yeah really).

I found the best thing to do is be patient with iCloud (it's hard I
know). If you start mucking about trying to fix things, it's more likely
you'll screw it all up.

If after a day or so it's still stuck - I assume there is actually
something in it? - then perhaps try rebooting the device, and then move
onto turning off/on and logging out/in of iCloud etc.

I must admit, I have never seen that folder before. Most items that are
syncing to iCloud just get a little cloud icon next to them.

--
Andy H

Re: iCloud question

<undimo$10edc$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20395&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20395

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 07:09:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 07:09 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2024 12:42, John Hill wrote:
>> I have a folder ini loud Xrive marked "Waiting to upload".
>>
>> Well, OK, but it's been like that for over an hour. How to I get it to upload?
>> What maight be stopping it?
>
> Time itself perhaps, phase of the moon, have you tried applying snake
> oil? did you sacrifice a spring lamb? ;-).
>
> Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting, it can be minutes, hours,
> sometimes it's even days (yeah really).
>
> I found the best thing to do is be patient with iCloud (it's hard I
> know). If you start mucking about trying to fix things, it's more likely
> you'll screw it all up.
>
> If after a day or so it's still stuck - I assume there is actually
> something in it? - then perhaps try rebooting the device, and then move
> onto turning off/on and logging out/in of iCloud etc.
>
> I must admit, I have never seen that folder before. Most items that are
> syncing to iCloud just get a little cloud icon next to them.

Yes I’ve seen this problem very rarely and just ignored it and hey presto
it put itself right after a while. This article may shed some light on the
problem and how to sort it out. Without getting the problem again here I
can’t vouch for its effectiveness!

<https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/icloud-drive-waiting-to-upload-1003.html>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: iCloud question

<undlfo$10nul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20396&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20396

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 07:56:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 07:56 UTC

On 6 Jan 2024 at 23:48:58 GMT, "David B." <bdb@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2024 at 15:59:59 GMT, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> I must admit, I have never seen that folder before.
>
> WHICH folder, Andy?
>
> "ini loud Xrive"
>
> I believe Old John MEANT to say .... "In iCloud drive ......."

Yes. Sorry about that! I think I'll blame the unreadable keyboard but it's
really age and inattention.

Old John.
--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: iCloud question

<undsh6$11j54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20398&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20398

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 09:56:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 09:56 UTC

On 7 Jan 2024 at 07:09:12 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/01/2024 12:42, John Hill wrote:
>>> I have a folder ini loud Xrive marked "Waiting to upload".
>>>
>>> Well, OK, but it's been like that for over an hour. How to I get it to upload?
>>> What maight be stopping it?
>>
>> Time itself perhaps, phase of the moon, have you tried applying snake
>> oil? did you sacrifice a spring lamb? ;-).
>>
>> Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting, it can be minutes, hours,
>> sometimes it's even days (yeah really).
>>
>> I found the best thing to do is be patient with iCloud (it's hard I
>> know). If you start mucking about trying to fix things, it's more likely
>> you'll screw it all up.
>>
>> If after a day or so it's still stuck - I assume there is actually
>> something in it? - then perhaps try rebooting the device, and then move
>> onto turning off/on and logging out/in of iCloud etc.
>>
>> I must admit, I have never seen that folder before. Most items that are
>> syncing to iCloud just get a little cloud icon next to them.
>
> Yes I’ve seen this problem very rarely and just ignored it and hey presto
> it put itself right after a while. This article may shed some light on the
> problem and how to sort it out. Without getting the problem again here I
> can’t vouch for its effectiveness!
>
> <https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/icloud-drive-waiting-to-upload-1003.html>

That was very helpful. Thank you.

Last night, at bedtime, I decided to shut down the iMac and reboot it from
scratch (logging out and back in had no effect). When I came to look at it
this morning, "Waiting to upload" had changed to "^ 1.19MB" but that was just
as stuck.

Then I read the article and tried logging out of iCloud and back in again.
That fixed it.

Where the 1.19MB came from baffles me. The file that seems to have been stick
is only 100KB. Maybe ther was other stuff?

I have kept a PDF of the article in my Macintosh Stuff folder just in case.
You never know… But I must weed that folder sometime, a lot of what has been
popped in ther must be obsolete - like, how to zap the PRAM.

Old John.

--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.

Re: iCloud question

<undt08$11lqr$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20399&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20399

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:04:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:04 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2024 at 07:09:12 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> Time itself perhaps, phase of the moon, have you tried applying snake
>>> oil? did you sacrifice a spring lamb? ;-).
>>>
>>> Sometimes it's just a matter of waiting, it can be minutes, hours,
>>> sometimes it's even days (yeah really).
>>>
>>> I found the best thing to do is be patient with iCloud (it's hard I
>>> know). If you start mucking about trying to fix things, it's more likely
>>> you'll screw it all up.
>>>
>>> If after a day or so it's still stuck - I assume there is actually
>>> something in it? - then perhaps try rebooting the device, and then move
>>> onto turning off/on and logging out/in of iCloud etc.
>>>
>>> I must admit, I have never seen that folder before. Most items that are
>>> syncing to iCloud just get a little cloud icon next to them.
>>
>> Yes I’ve seen this problem very rarely and just ignored it and hey presto
>> it put itself right after a while. This article may shed some light on the
>> problem and how to sort it out. Without getting the problem again here I
>> can’t vouch for its effectiveness!
>>
>> <https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/icloud-drive-waiting-to-upload-1003.html>
>
> That was very helpful. Thank you.
>
> Last night, at bedtime, I decided to shut down the iMac and reboot it from
> scratch (logging out and back in had no effect). When I came to look at it
> this morning, "Waiting to upload" had changed to "^ 1.19MB" but that was just
> as stuck.
>
> Then I read the article and tried logging out of iCloud and back in again.
> That fixed it.
>
> Where the 1.19MB came from baffles me. The file that seems to have been stick
> is only 100KB. Maybe ther was other stuff?
>
> I have kept a PDF of the article in my Macintosh Stuff folder just in case.
> You never know… But I must weed that folder sometime, a lot of what has been
> popped in ther must be obsolete - like, how to zap the PRAM.

Glad it’s sort of sorted!!! Zapping the PRAM on Intel Macs is still
recommended but I think Apple refer to it as NVRAM these days.

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063>

--
Cheers, Alan