We must believe in free will. We have no choice. -Isaac B. Singer

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Nelson's Bar

SubjectAuthor
* Nelson's BarRosie Mitchell
`* Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
 `* Nelson's BarNick Odell
  +* Nelson's BarSam Plusnet
  |+* Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
  ||`- Nelson's Barkrw
  |`* Nelson's BarPenny
  | `* Nelson's BarSteve Hague
  |  `* Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
  |   `- Nelson's BarChris
  +- Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
  +* Nelson's BarMike McMillan
  |+- Nelson's BarChris
  |`* Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
  | `* Nelson's Barkrw
  |  `* Nelson's BarMike McMillan
  |   `* Nelson's BarJ. P. Gilliver
  |    `* Nelson's BarSam Plusnet
  |     `- Nelson's BarMike McMillan
  `* Nelson's Barkrw
   +- Nelson's BarMike McMillan
   `* Nelson's BarPenny
    `* Nelson's BarSteve Hague
     `- Nelson's BarPenny

1
Nelson's Bar

<87o7eaks0d.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20237&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20237

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Nelson's Bar
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 20:10:26 +0000
sha1:w9qlSiAgZWgBWZgLYmm3B0+8+Ak=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 20:10 UTC

Is the Birthday Monitor also keeping records of Umrats who are no longer
with us? As in drinking at Nelson's Bar, not simply on indefinite furlough
(once an umrat always an umrat of course).

I am getting damp-eyed reading of Linda T's Cullen Skink (a must!),
Lizbuff's Three Colour Soup, Peter's Tsatziki, Robin-the-Fish's Nettle
Soup and so on.

Peter Hesketh, plus Brenda Selwyn and AN Other, were the first Umrats I
ever met in the flesh, in a pub in Keynsham, and they were all good and
welcoming company. The PH Memorial Coffee Mug is still doing sterling
service. It's very robust; only a couple of weeks ago one of my managers
knocked it off my desk in a fit of pique (because I wouldn't let her
have any more Dreamies) and it sustained no more than a chip on the
rim. Many other favourited coffee mugs over the last 24 years have fared
much less well.

Rosie

Re: Nelson's Bar

<fRx2raaGqgjlFw1Z@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20242&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20242

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:53:42 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Nelson's Bar
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:53 UTC

In message <87o7eaks0d.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Thu, 28 Dec 2023
20:10:26, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes

>Is the Birthday Monitor also keeping records of Umrats who are no longer
>with us? As in drinking at Nelson's Bar, not simply on indefinite furlough
>(once an umrat always an umrat of course).

Did we ever hear that Nelson _is_ definitely no longer with us? I have
vague memories of hearing that his Best Friend isn't, but don't actually
remember anyone in Ambridge hearing so, though I think most assume that
is the case.

I'm pretty sure the BM keeps track of anyone who was either in Ambridge
or an UMRAt; I've suggested the addition of (A) or (U) to clarify that
one, and DOB and whether alive or not, but I usually get jumped on -
quite correctly, as the BM does a lot of work. Sometimes the rather nice
double-meaning "last post" _is_ stated (for an UMRAt, obviously).
[]
>service. It's very robust; only a couple of weeks ago one of my managers
>knocked it off my desk in a fit of pique

I was thinking, workplace hasslement of employees, sad ...

> (because I wouldn't let her
>have any more Dreamies)

.... then I read that and had a broad grin!

> and it sustained no more than a chip on the
>rim. Many other favourited coffee mugs over the last 24 years have fared
>much less well.
>

>Rosie

My (inherited) UMRA one is still the default one at one location.

freedom of speech is useless if nobody can hear you.
-- David Harris -- Author, Pegasus Mail Dunedin, May 2002.

Re: Nelson's Bar

<fjiuoi96bjhn0fsf0cv5a8um7per850tmh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20276&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20276

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 23:36:47 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 23:36 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:53:42 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <87o7eaks0d.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Thu, 28 Dec 2023
>20:10:26, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Is the Birthday Monitor also keeping records of Umrats who are no longer
>>with us? As in drinking at Nelson's Bar, not simply on indefinite furlough
>>(once an umrat always an umrat of course).
>
>Did we ever hear that Nelson _is_ definitely no longer with us? I have
>vague memories of hearing that his Best Friend isn't, but don't actually
>remember anyone in Ambridge hearing so, though I think most assume that
>is the case.
<big snip>

(Hello! I'm back! Even if nobody realised I'd been away. Big storms
with trees crashing down across the roads and railway tracks and then
the internet went down. I think it's okay now but with New Year
looming it might be a while before I catch up with umra and my
correspondence. In the meantime, this thread caught my eye.)

As umra's physical Nelson-hunter, this is what I know.

In early March 2002, it was announced on The Archers that Nelson, who
had earlier done a runner from Ambridge was now living in Argentina.
In late March, 2002 I arrived in Argentina for the first time. I'd
like to say the sole purpose of my visit was to track him down, but
Nelson-hunting was certainly part of the agenda.

So where was he? Argentina is a big place and he could have been
anywhere. We decided that, cunning as ever, Nelson would be in the
Last Place anybody would look for him and the Last Place in Argentina
is the Last Town On Earth, Ushuaia, on Tierra del Fuego.

All this was recorded in umra passim. We arrived in Ushuaia, teamed up
with a Welsh Railway Engineer and together searched throughout the
town. Everywhere we looked it seemed that Nelson must have slipped out
just a few minutes ahead of us. Just in case he was willing to show
himself, we all went to the very southern perimeter of the town and
spent the evening drinking in the Last Bar in the Last Town on Earth
where we sat around the Last Table and kept a welcoming empty seat.
But he never turned up.

Fast forward a few years and I was walking through Panama City (as one
does) and came across Nelson's Bar in the old quarter. Again, photos
were linked to on umra and again, Nelson must have slipped out before
I slipped in and ordered my coffee.

That was my last non-contact with Nelson Gabriel. A few years later -
perhaps Stephen or somebody else might know more precisely when - a
coffin, purporting to contain the remains of Nelson Gabriel was
brought to Ambridge and was interred in St Stephen's churchyard and
the event was recorded in The Archers. Whether it really contained the
body of Nelson Gabriel or just a few heavy stones or, hopefully, the
loot he had managed to accumulate from the Great Borchester Mail Van
Robbery and his other shady dealings, we don't know because nobody, as
far as I know, opened the coffin before it was lowered into the
ground.

So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in
vain.

Nick

Re: Nelson's Bar

<FzKjN.29132$c8T6.4308@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20280&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20280

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41:56 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41 UTC

On 29-Dec-23 23:36, Nick Odell wrote:
> [...]
> body of Nelson Gabriel or just a few heavy stones or, hopefully, the
> loot he had managed to accumulate from the Great Borchester Mail Van
> Robbery and his other shady dealings, we don't know because nobody, as
> far as I know, opened the coffin before it was lowered into the
> ground.
>
> So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
> here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
> time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
> wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
> to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
> who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
> and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
> which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in

I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his voice)
remained unaltered... somewhere.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Nelson's Bar

<e7nWBrtdX3jlFwnj@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20282&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20282

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:43:57 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:43 UTC

In message <fjiuoi96bjhn0fsf0cv5a8um7per850tmh@4ax.com> at Fri, 29 Dec
2023 23:36:47, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes
[]
>(Hello! I'm back! Even if nobody realised I'd been away. Big storms
>with trees crashing down across the roads and railway tracks and then

(It always surprised me that after the Big Storm - '87 was it? - that no
enterprising photographer had "borrowed" one of those "heavy plant
crossing" signs and gone round photographing trees across roads behind
it.)
[]
>perhaps Stephen or somebody else might know more precisely when - a
>coffin, purporting to contain the remains of Nelson Gabriel was
>brought to Ambridge and was interred in St Stephen's churchyard and
>the event was recorded in The Archers. Whether it really contained the
[]
Ah, I'd not remembered that event. Maybe I wasn't listening then.

I admire him for the constancy of his curiosity, his effortless sense of
authority and his ability to deliver good science without gimmicks.
- Michael Palin on Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/5/7-13

Re: Nelson's Bar

<5BX$PPveZ9jlFwBR@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20283&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20283

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:35:42 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:35 UTC

In message <FzKjN.29132$c8T6.4308@fx05.ams1> at Sat, 30 Dec 2023
01:41:56, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes
[]
>I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his voice)
>remained unaltered... somewhere.

The Tape-Recording of Dorian Gray (-:

I don't like that word [atheist]; it implies that there's a god not to believe
in - Eric Idle, quoted in RT 2016/12/10-16

Re: Nelson's Bar

<umomtr$17qod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20285&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20285

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lCjtdmAAGNsPuZBGgUokcBQRyRI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> body of Nelson Gabriel or just a few heavy stones or, hopefully, the
> loot he had managed to accumulate from the Great Borchester Mail Van
> Robbery and his other shady dealings, we don't know because nobody, as
> far as I know, opened the coffin before it was lowered into the
> ground.
>
> So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
> here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
> time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
> wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
> to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
> who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
> and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
> which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in

But, but, but …. shouldn’t you just have gone to all the gay bars to look?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Nelson's Bar

<VfqcnSomNpwQfhL4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20287&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20287

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:31:55 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:31 UTC

On 29.12.23 23:36, Nick Odell wrote:
> I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
> which we all became so familiar

And for which I can remember no explanation ever being vouchsafed.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Nelson's Bar

<5c6cnR_rxJY_fhL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20288&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20288

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:32:17 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:32 UTC

On 30.12.23 08:35, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <FzKjN.29132$c8T6.4308@fx05.ams1> at Sat, 30 Dec 2023
> 01:41:56, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes
> []
>> I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his
>> voice) remained unaltered... somewhere.
>>
> The Tape-Recording of Dorian Gray (-:

Probably on R4X at some time.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Nelson's Bar

<umoo8e$17voo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20290&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20290

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:35:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vNMCTmqw01KSyeopPlzOJS6CoV0=
 by: Chris - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:35 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Robbery and his other shady dealings, we don't know because nobody, as
>> far as I know, opened the coffin before it was lowered into the
>> ground.
>>
>> So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
>> here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
>> time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
>> wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
>> to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
>> who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
>> and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>> which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in
>> vain.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> But, but, but …. shouldn’t you just have gone to all the gay bars to look?

Splutter. I’ve long since lost touch with Stephen (forgotten his surname),
eventually he moved to Spain (or Portugal) with his wife: forgotten her
nationality and name as well, he was in teaching but I think on line.

Mrs McT

Re: Nelson's Bar

<umop43$18325$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20293&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20293

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:49:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PsCjLGlVBKWbSe8W13Ht8737uZg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:49 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 29.12.23 23:36, Nick Odell wrote:
>> I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>> which we all became so familiar
>
> And for which I can remember no explanation ever being vouchsafed.

Ah Well, MOPMOB, that are a few secrets in me long life oh-arrr.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Nelson's Bar

<zJ19tzyJMCklFwp5@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20299&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20299

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:02:49 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:02 UTC

In message <umomtr$17qod$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12:27,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
[]
>> So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
>> here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
>> time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
>> wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
>> to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
>> who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
>> and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>> which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in
>> vain.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>But, but, but …. shouldn’t you just have gone to all the gay bars to look?

Was Nelson gay? I remember him as certainly Bohemian, or at least giving
that impression, so might well have at least "swung both ways", and it
possibly even having been muttered; but I don't _think_ (remember,
anyway) it ever coming up (out!) for sure.

As for cooking, what a bore that is. It's such a faff, thinking of what to
have, buying it and cooking it and clearing up, then all you do is eat it -
and have to start all over again next day. Hunter Davies, RT 2017/2/4-10

Re: Nelson's Bar

<7ia0pi53i5nfnpoci4ecr2l6sggqkjh0ku@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20300&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20300

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:34:10 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:34 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...

>I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his voice)
>remained unaltered... somewhere.

Re-runs of Duckular?
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Nelson's Bar

<bna0pil7gbciphehgmkoclj0lgok1up632@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20301&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20301

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:38:08 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:38 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:31:55 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...

>On 29.12.23 23:36, Nick Odell wrote:
>> I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>> which we all became so familiar
>
>And for which I can remember no explanation ever being vouchsafed.

Seemed obvious to me. Had no wish to be associated with is country bumpkin
father, so cultivated a posh way of speaking.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Nelson's Bar

<kvfdddFmt34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20346&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20346

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:02:38 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:02 UTC

On 30/12/2023 14:34, Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
> the dust...
>
>> I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his voice)
>> remained unaltered... somewhere.
>
> Re-runs of Duckular?

He also voiced King Theoden (Very impressed, was I) in the R4 production
of LOTR.

Re: Nelson's Bar

<kvfe4eFmt34U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20348&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20348

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:14:54 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:14 UTC

On 30/12/2023 14:38, Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:31:55 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
> dust...
>
>> On 29.12.23 23:36, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>>> which we all became so familiar
>>
>> And for which I can remember no explanation ever being vouchsafed.
>
> Seemed obvious to me. Had no wish to be associated with is country bumpkin
> father, so cultivated a posh way of speaking.

There's no doubt Wally G was a country bumpkin, but without him we
wouldn't have had MOPMOB.

Re: Nelson's Bar

<sKBKt2bbCrklFw7Q@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20352&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20352

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 12:31:23 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 12:31 UTC

In message <kvfdddFmt34U1@mid.individual.net> at Mon, 1 Jan 2024
09:02:38, Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> writes
>On 30/12/2023 14:34, Penny wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
>> the dust...
>>
>>> I wondered if Nelson had a portrait in his attic, so he (and his
>>>voice)
>>> remained unaltered... somewhere.
>> Re-runs of Duckular?
>
>He also voiced King Theoden (Very impressed, was I) in the R4
>production of LOTR.

I was very impressed with the entire production. I remember being on a
family holiday in France, and driving to somewhere we could receive LW,
to hear episodes.

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

Re: Nelson's Bar

<33i5pid2jkkovlnnlpj4pmkn9ug5jsosco@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20362&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20362

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 14:14:04 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 14:14 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:14:54 +0000, Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 30/12/2023 14:38, Penny wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:31:55 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
>> dust...

>>> And for which I can remember no explanation ever being vouchsafed.
>>
>> Seemed obvious to me. Had no wish to be associated with is country bumpkin
>> father, so cultivated a posh way of speaking.
>
>There's no doubt Wally G was a country bumpkin, but without him we
>wouldn't have had MOPMOB.

An expression *never* used by Nelson, IRMC.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Nelson's Bar

<umuqop$295fm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20368&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20368

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ER7uhSfScVy8PHp+alC8gvyJtXg=
 by: Chris - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:54 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <kvfdddFmt34U1@mid.individual.net> at Mon, 1 Jan 2024
> 09:02:38, Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> writes
>> On 30/12/2023 14:34, Penny wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 01:41:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
>>> the dust...

>>> Re-runs of Duckular?
>>
>> He also voiced King Theoden (Very impressed, was I) in the R4
>> production of LOTR.
>
> I was very impressed with the entire production. I remember being on a
> family holiday in France, and driving to somewhere we could receive LW,
> to hear episodes.

Much better on radio than the cinema. I went with SODAM for the first one.

Mrs McT

Re: Nelson's Bar

<IxKdnSVclu5brgn4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20392&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20392

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:03:20 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:03 UTC

On 30.12.23 14:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <umomtr$17qod$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12:27,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> []
>>> So, nearly twenty two years after I first stepped on Argentine soil,
>>> here I am again in the city where these days I spend almost half of my
>>> time. I still keep a lookout for Nelson. He must be pretty old and
>>> wizened these days if indeed he is really still alive so I mostly tend
>>> to peer a little closer at the faces of the very ancient characters
>>> who haunt the "bares notables" which are scattered through the city
>>> and I listen hopefully for the cultured, booming, English voice with
>>> which we all became so familiar but I think I may be listening in
>>> vain.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

>> But, but, but …. shouldn’t you just have gone to all the gay bars to
>> look?
>>
> Was Nelson gay? I remember him as certainly Bohemian, or at least giving
> that impression, so might well have at least "swung both ways", and it
> possibly even having been muttered; but I don't _think_ (remember,
> anyway) it ever coming up (out!) for sure.

Nelson had ways with women and black silk sheets as I recall.

But in those days he could hardly admit to being anything other than an
upright male.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Nelson's Bar

<un1hkd$2pht0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20397&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20397

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:37:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tRUGmiOoi+AQ9Ou0CWR2cbliuag=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:37 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 30.12.23 14:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <umomtr$17qod$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:12:27,
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>>> Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> []

>>> But, but, but …. shouldn’t you just have gone to all the gay bars to
>>> look?
>>>
>> Was Nelson gay? I remember him as certainly Bohemian, or at least giving
>> that impression, so might well have at least "swung both ways", and it
>> possibly even having been muttered; but I don't _think_ (remember,
>> anyway) it ever coming up (out!) for sure.
>
> Nelson had ways with women and black silk sheets as I recall.
>
> But in those days he could hardly admit to being anything other than an
> upright male.

And a few inches taller than normal when wearing his red high heel shoes.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Nelson's Bar

<VVUxvIM9LFllFw1v@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20399&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20399

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:16:29 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:16 UTC

In message <un1hkd$2pht0$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:37:17,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 30.12.23 14:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
[]
>>> Was Nelson gay? I remember him as certainly Bohemian, or at least giving
[]
>> Nelson had ways with women and black silk sheets as I recall.

Yes, I remember the BSS being mentioned!

>> But in those days he could hardly admit to being anything other than an
>> upright male.

Yes, different times. Did Nelson overlap at all with Ian and Adam (at
least their outness, I'm pretty sure he did with the _existence_ of the
one who grew up in Ambridge)?

>And a few inches taller than normal when wearing his red high heel shoes.

I don't remember those (-:

"Bother,"saidPoohwhenhisspacebarrefusedtowork.

Re: Nelson's Bar

<ojZkN.129808$7sbb.15712@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20404&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20404

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 19:17:40 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 19:17 UTC

On 02-Jan-24 18:16, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <un1hkd$2pht0$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:37:17,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>> On 30.12.23 14:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> []
> []
>>> Nelson had ways with women and black silk sheets as I recall.
>
> Yes, I remember the BSS being mentioned!
>>>
>>> But in those days he could hardly admit to being anything other than an
>>> upright male.
>>>
> Yes, different times. Did Nelson overlap at all with Ian and Adam (at
> least their outness, I'm pretty sure he did with the _existence_ of the
> one who grew up in Ambridge)?
>>
>> And a few inches taller than normal when wearing his red high heel shoes.
>>
> I don't remember those (-:

Did Mike mention how he knew about those shoes?
EMNTK

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Nelson's Bar

<un3915$35c0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20426&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20426

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:22:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JCI/bnKV9ysc1dpPnVBjNAwKFJI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:22 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 02-Jan-24 18:16, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <un1hkd$2pht0$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:37:17,
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> []
>> []
>>
>> Yes, I remember the BSS being mentioned!

>> Yes, different times. Did Nelson overlap at all with Ian and Adam (at
>> least their outness, I'm pretty sure he did with the _existence_ of the
>> one who grew up in Ambridge)?
>>>
>>> And a few inches taller than normal when wearing his red high heel shoes.
>>>
>> I don't remember those (-:
>
> Did Mike mention how he knew about those shoes?
> EMNTK

No, HTH, HAND.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan