I will not say that women have no character; rather, they have a new one every day. -- Heine

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

SubjectAuthor
* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSerena Blanchflower
`* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toJ. P. Gilliver
 +* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSerena Blanchflower
 |+- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toRosie Mitchell
 |+* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toWenlock
 ||+- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toMike McMillan
 ||`* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toIain Archer
 || +- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toNick Odell
 || +* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSerena Blanchflower
 || |`* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toJenny M Benson
 || | `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSerena Blanchflower
 || `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead tokrw
 |`- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSam Plusnet
 `* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toChris
  `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead toSerena Blanchflower

1
Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20382&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20382

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a
sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40:24 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40 UTC

The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new
relationship – plus the hottest man in Ambridge becomes so unhinged he
buys a pony

<https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/jan/02/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-please-god-let-the-dog-that-ate-a-sock-lead-to-new-romance>,
aka <https://tinyl.io/A22j>
--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What do you get if you eat Christmas decorations?

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<VCcBqmEcAAllFwEK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20384&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20384

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 12:22:52 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 12:22 UTC

In message <un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40:24,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new

I thought (not having followed plotlines that closely) that there was
going to be something about the extra-large bully dogs. (Would a village
the size of Ambridge have been likely to have at least one such? As
usual, the news coverage hasn't given any indication how common they
are.) Though I suppose that's more a New Year's Eve canine crisis.

>relationship – plus the hottest man in Ambridge becomes so unhinged
>he buys a pony

Yes, he does seem to have been a bit hasty there, for a three-year-old!

><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/jan/02/charlotte-higgins-
>on-the-archers-please-god-let-the-dog-that-ate-a-sock-lead-to-new-romanc
>e>, aka <https://tinyl.io/A22j>

.... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just
about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and
embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio
Times 9-15 March 2013

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un14u3$2k6cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20385&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20385

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 14:00:35 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 14:00 UTC

On 02/01/2024 12:22, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40:24,
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>> The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new
>
> I thought (not having followed plotlines that closely) that there was
> going to be something about the extra-large bully dogs. (Would a village
> the size of Ambridge have been likely to have at least one such? As
> usual, the news coverage hasn't given any indication how common they
> are.) Though I suppose that's more a New Year's Eve canine crisis.

I very much doubt that the population of XL-bullies is evenly
distributed. I get the feeling they're probably more of an urban
phenomenon. They aren't working dogs, in the farming sense, but seem to
be bought either for personal protection or to make their owner look tough.

The only people connected to Ambridge who I would suspect would be
likely to want one would be Tracy's less reputable brothers. There
might be the odd staffie being given the side-eye around the village though.

>> relationship – plus the hottest man in Ambridge becomes so unhinged he
>> buys a pony
>
> Yes, he does seem to have been a bit hasty there, for a three-year-old!

I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he was
assuming the animal would live at The Stables.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lie down until the feeling

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<87frzfizub.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20386&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20386

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 14:17:48 +0000
sha1:fz63ow397dz0ogTLQ//ge+ma8F0=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 14:17 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:

> On 02/01/2024 12:22, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024
>> 11:40:24, Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>>> The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new
>> I thought (not having followed plotlines that closely) that there
>> was going to be something about the extra-large bully dogs. (Would a
>> village the size of Ambridge have been likely to have at least one
>> such? As usual, the news coverage hasn't given any indication how
>> common they are.) Though I suppose that's more a New Year's Eve
>> canine crisis.
>>

> I very much doubt that the population of XL-bullies is evenly
> distributed. I get the feeling they're probably more of an urban
> phenomenon. They aren't working dogs, in the farming sense, but seem
> to be bought either for personal protection or to make their owner
> look tough.
>
> The only people connected to Ambridge who I would suspect would be
> likely to want one would be Tracy's less reputable brothers. There
> might be the odd staffie being given the side-eye around the village though.

It's an amazing thing about humans, that they could take a handsome and
elegant animal like the grey wolf and through the wonders of genetics
turn it into a plug-ugly and unhealthy thing like the XL Bully.

Rosie

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un1ak9$2oged$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20387&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20387

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog
that ate a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:37:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/oLTFw/OQ1kW/Kw4GRrgnV8WSuc=
 by: Chris - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:37 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40:24,
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>> The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new
>
> I thought (not having followed plotlines that closely) that there was
> going to be something about the extra-large bully dogs. (Would a village
> the size of Ambridge have been likely to have at least one such? As
> usual, the news coverage hasn't given any indication how common they
> are.) Though I suppose that's more a New Year's Eve canine crisis.
>
>> relationship – plus the hottest man in Ambridge becomes so unhinged
>> he buys a pony
>
> Yes, he does seem to have been a bit hasty there, for a three-year-old!
>>
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/jan/02/charlotte-higgins-

For a man who knows ponies, surely, not a realistic plotline?

Mrs McT

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un1k33$2opg4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20398&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20398

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:19:14 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:19 UTC

On 02/01/2024 15:37, Chris wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <un0sn8$2k6cd$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:40:24,
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>>> The Christmas canine crisis looks set to usher in a most exciting new
>>
>> I thought (not having followed plotlines that closely) that there was
>> going to be something about the extra-large bully dogs. (Would a village
>> the size of Ambridge have been likely to have at least one such? As
>> usual, the news coverage hasn't given any indication how common they
>> are.) Though I suppose that's more a New Year's Eve canine crisis.
>>
>>> relationship – plus the hottest man in Ambridge becomes so unhinged
>>> he buys a pony
>>
>> Yes, he does seem to have been a bit hasty there, for a three-year-old!
>>>
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/jan/02/charlotte-higgins-
>
> For a man who knows ponies, surely, not a realistic plotline?

I thought it was pretty realistic. He knows enough about ponies to feel
confident about it but it was triggered by two things. First, by Harry
patronising him and feeling jealous about Alice's new relationship and
then by Jakob pointing out that the one good thing about buying the pony
would be being seen as a wonderful father by his adoring daughter.

--
Best wishes, Serena
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un1lrg$2q5ck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20401&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20401

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
that ate a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:49:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kINz1DTYOdADqNeB3O2IH8zdyGI=
 by: Wenlock - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

> I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
> super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
> buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he was
> assuming the animal would live at The Stables.

I think a Shetland pony would be small enough to live in the
flat-above-the-shop. That sort of beast is pretty nimble even on the
steepest, narrowest, most dangerous of iron staircases.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un1m22$2q6fn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20403&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20403

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
that ate a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:52:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:l3Tnh9UuNl0855E9XVLchSX/0S0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:52 UTC

Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>

>> I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
>> super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
>> buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he was
>> assuming the animal would live at The Stables.
>>

> I think a Shetland pony would be small enough to live in the
> flat-above-the-shop. That sort of beast is pretty nimble even on the
> steepest, narrowest, most dangerous of iron staircases.

Give it a donkey jacket to wear and they’ll just think it is one of the
‘orses returning to Ambridge for some illegal work.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<otZkN.129811$7sbb.1944@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20406&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20406

a sock lead to new romance!
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 19:28:19 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 19:28 UTC

On 02-Jan-24 14:00, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> I very much doubt that the population of XL-bullies is evenly
> distributed.  I get the feeling they're probably more of an urban
> phenomenon.  They aren't working dogs, in the farming sense, but seem to
> be bought either for personal protection or to make their owner look tough.
>
> The only people connected to Ambridge who I would suspect would be
> likely to want one would be Tracy's less reputable brothers.  There
> might be the odd staffie being given the side-eye around the village
> though.

The only time I have ever been scared of a dog was when a family moved
into part a house where we rented an upper floor - bringing a staffie
with them.
The dog turned out to be the only decent being in the family.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un26t7$2stdl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20413&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20413

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:40:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:40 UTC

On Tue, 02 Jan 2024 18:49:20 +0000, Wenlock wrote:

> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>

>> I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
>> super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
>> buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he
>> was assuming the animal would live at The Stables.

Has the child expressed any wish or inclination?

> I think a Shetland pony would be small enough to live in the
> flat-above-the-shop. That sort of beast is pretty nimble even on the
> steepest, narrowest, most dangerous of iron staircases.

If it can do that it can probably tap-dance.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<lcl9pilhgajm62201irk2k1nohgbr9pt9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20416&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20416

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 03:39:48 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 03:39 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:40:23 -0000 (UTC), Iain Archer
<ianews@montaigne.me.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Jan 2024 18:49:20 +0000, Wenlock wrote:
>
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
>>> super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
>>> buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he
>>> was assuming the animal would live at The Stables.
>>>
>Has the child expressed any wish or inclination?
<snip>
Funny you should mention that. An older couple for whom this was their
first child together saw how thrilled their little one was by the
experience of riding a pony that they bought one - and all the tack -
for the child's next birthday.

I happened to be with them when on the birthday morning they took the
child to meet the birthday pony for the first time and saddle it up
for a ride.

"But I've already done that!" the child complained.

Nick

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un3bnd$359l9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20428&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20428

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:08:45 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:08 UTC

On 02/01/2024 23:40, Iain Archer wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2024 18:49:20 +0000, Wenlock wrote:
>
>> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I agree with Charlotte Higgins that he was trying to prove he was
>>> super-dad and to out horse Horsey-Harry. It was a ridiculous thing to
>>> buy without discussing it with Alice first, especially given that he
>>> was assuming the animal would live at The Stables.
>>>
> Has the child expressed any wish or inclination?

Not that anyone has heard of. Given that Alice is running a riding
school, you'd have thought that, if she had, she would already have been
plonked on the back of a suitable pony and had her first riding lessons.

>> I think a Shetland pony would be small enough to live in the
>> flat-above-the-shop. That sort of beast is pretty nimble even on the
>> steepest, narrowest, most dangerous of iron staircases.
>
> If it can do that it can probably tap-dance.

<g>

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What happened when the Ice Monster ate a curry?

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<2L2dnQSvYpQ1pgj4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20432&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20432

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:49:13 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:49 UTC

On 2.1.24 23:40, Iain Archer wrote:
> Has the child expressed any wish or inclination?

They are kept in the silents' cupboard far too much these days. And
letting Henry out was a big mistake if Gideon cannot be heard as well.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<kvktgaFm8odU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20434&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20434

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:07:56 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:07 UTC

On 03/01/2024 10:08, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> Not that anyone has heard of.  Given that Alice is running a riding
> school, you'd have thought that, if she had, she would already have been
> plonked on the back of a suitable pony and had her first riding lessons.

As with my daughter, whose grandparents owned a Riding Centre. My
brother's children were more "advantaged" than me and had their own pony
when they were toddlers.
--
Jenny M Benson

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: please God let the dog that ate a sock lead to new romance!

<un3gt6$359la$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20438&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20438

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
a sock lead to new romance!
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:37:10 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:37 UTC

On 03/01/2024 11:07, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 03/01/2024 10:08, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>> Not that anyone has heard of.  Given that Alice is running a riding
>> school, you'd have thought that, if she had, she would already have
>> been plonked on the back of a suitable pony and had her first riding
>> lessons.
>
> As with my daughter, whose grandparents owned a Riding Centre.  My
> brother's children were more "advantaged" than me and had their own pony
> when they were toddlers.

I learned to ride when I was about three, after we had moved to Dartmoor
(my dad was in the navy and had been posted to Plymouth). My parents
bought the pony, after wearing out too many push chairs, going for walks
on the moor. This was, of course, decades before all terrain push
chairs were available.

A few years earlier, before I arrived on the scene, on a previous
Dartmoor posting, they housed a couple of beach donkeys, over the
winter. One had a normal saddle, for my eldest brother, while the other
had a basket of some kind for younger brother!

--
Best wishes, Serena
Walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in every one