From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: [OT] Virtualisation on Silicon Macs
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 08:39:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 08:39 UTC

For anyone interested in developing Linux VMs on a Silicon Mac, HO has just
released an update to the Liviable app which utilises Apple’s lightweight
virtualisation. I’ve had much success with earlier betas of Liviable and
will be trying this new beta 4 shortly.

<https://eclecticlight.co/2024/01/01/virtualise-linux-on-apple-silicon-with-liviable-beta-4/>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: [OT] Virtualisation on Silicon Macs

<fWF*E-lzz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20340&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20340

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: [OT] Virtualisation on Silicon Macs
Date: 01 Jan 2024 18:07:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 18:07 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> For anyone interested in developing Linux VMs on a Silicon Mac, HO has just
> released an update to the Liviable app which utilises Apple’s lightweight
> virtualisation. I’ve had much success with earlier betas of Liviable and
> will be trying this new beta 4 shortly.
>
> <https://eclecticlight.co/2024/01/01/virtualise-linux-on-apple-silicon-with-liviable-beta-4/>

What does Liviable give you over UTM, out of interest?

Theo

Re: [OT] Virtualisation on Silicon Macs

<un0h28$2jb3s$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20346&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20346

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:21:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:21 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> For anyone interested in developing Linux VMs on a Silicon Mac, HO has just
>> released an update to the Liviable app which utilises Apple’s lightweight
>> virtualisation. I’ve had much success with earlier betas of Liviable and
>> will be trying this new beta 4 shortly.
>>
>> <https://eclecticlight.co/2024/01/01/virtualise-linux-on-apple-silicon-with-liviable-beta-4/>
>
> What does Liviable give you over UTM, out of interest?

I started using Liviable and UTM as I wanted to move away from paying an
annual subscription for Parallels Desktop. Currently Liviable has few
advantages over UTM given its beta status. But it is a small, stable and
relatively simple app to use. Unfortunately there are some issues which
need addressing but these are more than likely down to issues with Apple’s
virtualisation offering. Examples include the miniscule font size presented
when starting an installation and some keyboard issues - dead keys and
mapping issues. Mapping issues can be relatively easily corrected around of
course. I do seem to be having another issue with beta 4 - my Usenet
clients all seem to take several minutes to connect to the e-s server. I am
no longer able to provide feedback directly to Howard Oakley’s blog site so
hope he won’t mind my emailing him.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: [OT] Virtualisation on Silicon Macs

<unj95j$1vm48$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20455&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20455

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:03:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:03 UTC

On 2024-01-02, Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> For anyone interested in developing Linux VMs on a Silicon Mac, HO has just
>>> released an update to the Liviable app which utilises Apple’s lightweight
>>> virtualisation. I’ve had much success with earlier betas of Liviable and
>>> will be trying this new beta 4 shortly.
>>>
>>> <https://eclecticlight.co/2024/01/01/virtualise-linux-on-apple-silicon-with-liviable-beta-4/>
>>
>> What does Liviable give you over UTM, out of interest?
>
> I started using Liviable and UTM as I wanted to move away from paying an
> annual subscription for Parallels Desktop. Currently Liviable has few
> advantages over UTM given its beta status. But it is a small, stable and
> relatively simple app to use. Unfortunately there are some issues which
> need addressing but these are more than likely down to issues with Apple’s
> virtualisation offering. Examples include the miniscule font size presented
> when starting an installation and some keyboard issues - dead keys and
> mapping issues. Mapping issues can be relatively easily corrected around of
> course. I do seem to be having another issue with beta 4 - my Usenet
> clients all seem to take several minutes to connect to the e-s server. I am
> no longer able to provide feedback directly to Howard Oakley’s blog site so
> hope he won’t mind my emailing him.

Just tried Virtual Buddy but it exhibits similar problems to those seen with
Liviable. It also utilises Apple's lightweight virtualisation so for now
both it and Liviable will remain on the back burner as far as I'm
concerned until Apple update their software. VMware offer a free version of
their Fusion product but since the Broadcom takeover, there seems to be doubts
about its long term future. I'm not aware of any serious M* offering from
VirtualBox. Back to UTM, I guess!

--
Cheers, Alan