From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Ping: John Hill
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:53:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:53 UTC

On 10 Jan 2024 at 14:50:08 GMT, "David B." <bdb@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> I refer to the article "Effective defenses against malware and other threats"
> which may be found here:-
>
> https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841
>
> I sent this John Galt article to a good ex-navy friend who I've known for more
> than 50 years in a bid to persuade him to remove McAfee from his aging iMac.
> This is part of his response:-
>
> =
> Thanks for all those words, which I have read and reread.
>
> It is clear to me that the words were generated by/for Apple as part of their
> marketing policy under the guise of a support document for their customer
> base, which is fair enough. It is interesting that Apple avoid making all
> encompassing claims with respect to 100% safety whilst also seeking to demean
> other peoples’ efforts. Of course there are cowboys out there as in any sector
> but by the same token there are genuine operators.
>
> Whilst I am totally aware of your absolute belief in Apple it will come as no
> surprise that my cynicism leads me to continue to listen to other views and
> then to make my own decision - be it right or wrong.
>
> I can accept that the hosting of an AV causes a degradation in performance -
> you get nothing for nothing - and, against that, consideration should be given
> to the intended usage of one’s computer - this obviously varies person to
> person. There is then Apple’s own admission that their systems have never been
> totally ‘safe’ from external threats as evidenced by their admission that this
> situation improves over time and product development/upgrades.
>
> =
>
> I've never considered that this might actually be the case but now, of course,
> I'm wondering!
>
> What words of comfort can you, or others reading here provide?
>
> IS "John Galt" really an Apple shill?

Oh, David, I really do have NO interest in discussions of malware and whether
or not to install anti malware third party applications - and certainly not
whether to persuade others to install or unistsall software.

It really is up to each nindividual to make up his own mind on this. John Galt
is IMHO quite right in saying "my cynicism leads me to continue to listen to
other views and then to make my own decision - be it right or wrong."

I am perfectly content for anyone on ucsm to report a newly discovered malware
threat here, and any details which are relevant. But this is no place for
evangelism or zealotry.

Old John.
--
Mony a mickle maks a muckle.

Re: Ping: John Hill

<l09opmFkcdfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20496&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20496

From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Jan 2024 08:56:22 GMT
 by: TimS - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:56 UTC

On 11 Jan 2024 at 07:53:24 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Oy! D'ye mind:

a) not feeding the troll

b) not quoting the troll. Learn to snip!

Otherwise you'll join him on the naughty step.

--
Tim