A little suffering is good for the soul. -- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

SubjectAuthor
* Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Chris
+* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Theo
|`* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Chris
| `* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Bruce Horrocks
|  `* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Chris
|   `- Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Chris
`* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Bruce Horrocks
 `* Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Chris
  `- Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"Bruce Horrocks

1
Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<uo0n6n$epgb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20530&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20530

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:22:31 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:22 UTC

Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem, but
One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple things
like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<Lkc*JPpAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20531&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20531

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"
Date: 14 Jan 2024 14:02:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:02 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem, but
> One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple things
> like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?

You need to give iTerm2 the 'access all files' permission, somewhere in
Settings->Security. It may want other permissions like access to photos.

By default apps don't get full filesystem access and so anything you run in
iTerm2 can't properly interact with files (including photos stored in your
pictures folder, which are a separate permission)

Theo

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<0207539c-d80e-40fd-8d51-a33f5693e648@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20532&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20532

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:11:50 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:11 UTC

On 14/01/2024 13:22, Chris wrote:

> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem, but
> One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple things
> like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?

Have those OneDrive folders synced locally yet? Finder may have the
necessary extensions added for OneDrive to be able to intercept requests
and get the files transferred before an error occurs, whereas the
command line might be too low level?

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<uo10kg$gfbg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20533&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20533

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:03:28 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:03 UTC

On 14/01/2024 14:02, Theo wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem, but
>> One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple things
>> like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?
>
> You need to give iTerm2 the 'access all files' permission, somewhere in
> Settings->Security. It may want other permissions like access to photos.
>
> By default apps don't get full filesystem access and so anything you run in
> iTerm2 can't properly interact with files (including photos stored in your
> pictures folder, which are a separate permission)

The only things shown under iTerm as not having access to files was
iCloud Drive which I don't use. It only has entries for "Desktop",
"Documents" and "Downloads". So it may be a problem for accessing
OneDrive, but I see how to fix it?

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<uo10mp$gfbg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20534&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20534

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:04:41 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:04 UTC

On 14/01/2024 14:11, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 13:22, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem,
>> but One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple
>> things like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?
>
> Have those OneDrive folders synced locally yet?

Yes OneDrive has been running for a few weeks now.

> Finder may have the
> necessary extensions added for OneDrive to be able to intercept requests
> and get the files transferred before an error occurs, whereas the
> command line might be too low level?

I do see your point, but then how does 'cd' work just fine?

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<db50bbef-0ca6-4711-a5fd-96069c63d032@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20537&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20537

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:12:53 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:12 UTC

On 14/01/2024 16:04, Chris wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 14:11, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> On 14/01/2024 13:22, Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem,
>>> but One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple
>>> things like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?
>>
>> Have those OneDrive folders synced locally yet?
>
> Yes OneDrive has been running for a few weeks now.

This is the main thing. If all synced then it's a permissions/security
thing.

>> Finder may have the necessary extensions added for OneDrive to be able
>> to intercept requests and get the files transferred before an error
>> occurs, whereas the command line might be too low level?
>
> I do see your point, but then how does 'cd' work just fine?

Directories stopped being "regular files" a long time ago. Presumably
ADFS holds its directory information in such a way that reading it
doesn't trigger the security intervention that is stopping you accessing
normal files.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<55aaaf60-6add-4665-a992-5d8f7d29c35f@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20538&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20538

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:17:07 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:17 UTC

On 14/01/2024 16:03, Chris wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 14:02, Theo wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Newish Mac. Installed iTerm2 and trying to navigate the filesystem, but
>>> One Drive folders returning "Operation not permitted" for simple things
>>> like 'ls'. I can 'cd' into these folders however. What gives?
>>
>> You need to give iTerm2 the 'access all files' permission, somewhere in
>> Settings->Security.  It may want other permissions like access to photos.
>>
>> By default apps don't get full filesystem access and so anything you
>> run in
>> iTerm2 can't properly interact with files (including photos stored in
>> your
>> pictures folder, which are a separate permission)
>
> The only things shown under iTerm as not having access to files was
> iCloud Drive which I don't use. It only has entries for "Desktop",
> "Documents" and "Downloads". So it may be a problem for accessing
> OneDrive, but I see how to fix it?

What are you looking at when you say "The only things shown *under*
iTerm..."?

When I look in Settings -> Privacy & Security I only see a list of
applications *under* Files and Folders, not the other way around.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<uo1ogr$k903$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20539&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20539

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:51:07 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:51 UTC

On 14/01/2024 20:17, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 16:03, Chris wrote:

>>> You need to give iTerm2 the 'access all files' permission, somewhere in
>>> Settings->Security.  It may want other permissions like access to
>>> photos.
>>>
>>> By default apps don't get full filesystem access and so anything you
>>> run in
>>> iTerm2 can't properly interact with files (including photos stored in
>>> your
>>> pictures folder, which are a separate permission)
>>
>> The only things shown under iTerm as not having access to files was
>> iCloud Drive which I don't use. It only has entries for "Desktop",
>> "Documents" and "Downloads". So it may be a problem for accessing
>> OneDrive, but I see how to fix it?
>

> What are you looking at when you say "The only things shown *under*
> iTerm..."?
>
> When I look in Settings -> Privacy & Security I only see a list of
> applications *under* Files and Folders, not the other way around.

Correct and if you expand the content for an application e.g. iTerm it
then shows a list of *Folders* to which the user has (dis)allowed access.

I note that some applications do show OneDrive as an entry, just not
iTerm. Looks like I need to trigger an access request for OneDrive from
iTerm. Any ideas how?

Re: Simple Terminal commands "not permitted"

<uo1ots$k903$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20540&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20540

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:58:04 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:58 UTC

On 14/01/2024 22:51, Chris wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 20:17, Bruce Horrocks wrote:

>>> The only things shown under iTerm as not having access to files was
>>> iCloud Drive which I don't use. It only has entries for "Desktop",
>>> "Documents" and "Downloads". So it may be a problem for accessing
>>> OneDrive, but I see how to fix it?
>>

>> What are you looking at when you say "The only things shown *under*
>> iTerm..."?
>>
>> When I look in Settings -> Privacy & Security I only see a list of
>> applications *under* Files and Folders, not the other way around.
>
> Correct and if you expand the content for an application e.g. iTerm it
> then shows a list of *Folders* to which the user has (dis)allowed access.
>
> I note that some applications do show OneDrive as an entry, just not
> iTerm. Looks like I need to trigger an access request for OneDrive from
> iTerm. Any ideas how?

Fixed it! I needed to allow iTerm2 "Full Disk Access" under "Privacy &
Security". I might toggle that on and off as needed, just in case.

Thanks Bruce and Theo for pointing me in the right direction.