Positive, adj.: Mistaken at the top of one's voice. -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

SubjectAuthor
* Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5John Ashby
+* Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5J. P. Gilliver
|`* Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5Jenny M Benson
| `- Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5J. P. Gilliver
`- Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5BrritSki

1
Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

<unc29h$m82f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20539&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20539

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 17:22:57 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 17:22 UTC

We’ve just heard some splendid examples of Bad Taste concerning The
Archers but for some reason there was an epidemic (if I’m still allowed
to use that word) of Bad Taste About Death in Ambridge. I have therefore
created a special category covering just that. And to present the award
is a man who has benefitted greatly from death in the last two years and
is no stranger to the pomp and ceremony that surrounds events such as
this one. Will you please all rise (OK, everyone except Rosie) for His
Majesty King Charles the Spani^H^H^H^H^HThird.

Thank you, thank you. Sit down all of you, this isn’t the bloody
Hallelujah Chorus. Stupid tradition just because great great great great
great grandfather had a bout of cramp at an inopportune moment. And who
let all these dreadful people in here. That awful Witchell man, why
isn’t he skulking around the chalets of Klosters? As for my idiot son
and his transatlantic bint, the less said about them the better. And an
abdicating monarch! Talk about salt in a wound. What’s that Camilla? I
need to get on with it. Why? You and Lilian want a fag break? I see.

The nominations for Bad Taste About Death in Ambridge (sounds like
another detective spinoff for one of those channels that are so far down
the TV guide that nobody ever watches them)… What? Oh yes. The
nominations are:

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
Well, well, we were never actually told the
circumstances of Nelson's death in Argentina. The death
cerstificate said 'heart failure' - some folk live for
years with that.

But there was an increase in production in Fray Bentos about
that time…

Nominated by Sally Thompson

Penny wrote:
Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote
Hellerat wrote [about the death of Jennifer]:
It's been on the cards, but I'm still extremely
sad to see one of my favourite characters go. I
felt quite upset. I shouted up to B . She surely
wasn't high in the St Stephen Churchyard stakes?
I could see them going off on a cruise but surely Peggy
or Jill or Leonard or Christine first?

Maybe they'll all peg it upon hearing the news.
Nominated by Vicky

MelbTony wrote: [between Jenniffffer’s death and funeral]

"Is it time for Lilian and Tony to bury the hatchet?"
A little more respect for the deceased please!

Nominated by Nick Odell who suggested Tony’s remark should be taken as a
BTN for the Radio Times though the original quotation was from the R4
website. The nomination goes to them jointly.

BrritSki wrote:
Vicky wrote:
SPOILER ALERT – This week's spoiler from the DF.
April is the cruellest month in Ambridge, stirring Adam
to search for his father. [snip] Ed and Jim argue about
giving Jazzer a good time, something best left buried is
dug up, [snip] and faint moonlight falls across the road
winding to The Laurels.

(Any ideas on what is being dug up?)
Joe Grundy ?

Nominated by Jenny M Benson.

Mike McMillan wrote
John Ashby wrote:

I wondered if Sykesy's role this week is to deliver the
news of Christine Cardboard's trip to the Great
Recycling Centre in the sky.

Has she had her flaps folded inwards?

Nominated by J.P.Gilliver.

Clive Arthur wrote:
krw wrote:
krw wrote:
Vicky wrote:
Meanwhile Alan faces the prospect of
conducting an unusual funeral
Please can we have Rob cremated and no grace. I
do not want a zombie creeping through the
village to terrorise us.
No grave not no grace. Apologies.
It was Grace who was cremated.

Nominated by Vicky

And the winner is… the winner is… If I can just get this bloody envelope
open… the winner is… it’s useless, why does nothing work these days?…
The winner is… Got it. The winner is The Radio 4 website for burying the
hatchet. Many congratulations, and what do you do? How interesting. Can
I go now?

Thank you Your Majesty, something I never thought I’d find myself saying
twice in one night. Or at all, actually. Smokers' corner is round the
back of the staff car park if you’re looking for your wife.

Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

<VDbRajHOxhmlFws6@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20581&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20581

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 03:36:46 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 03:36 UTC

In message <unc29h$m82f$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 6 Jan 2024 17:22:57,
John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
[]
>The nominations for Bad Taste About Death in Ambridge (sounds like
>another detective spinoff for one of those channels that are so far
>down the TV guide that nobody ever watches them)… What? Oh yes. The

Hmm, yes, it's about time (Dr.) Lucy Worsley visited!
[]
>Nominated by J.P.Gilliver.
[]
For any that don't know - my name is John. I just don't put it in my
..sig because I don't like being addressed by it by dweebs calling me
from companies. (Though since they're partially automated, I'm used to
"Dear Mr.", "Dear J", and "Dear Jp".)

Excellent job being done by outgoing BTM and his royal helpers.

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

<kvvdaoFm72tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20585&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20585

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:39:20 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 10:39 UTC

On 07/01/2024 03:36, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> For any that don't know - my name is John. I just don't put it in my
> .sig because I don't like being addressed by it by dweebs calling me
> from companies. (Though since they're partially automated, I'm used to
> "Dear Mr.", "Dear J", and "Dear Jp".)

Who are you trying to kid? Werats all know you're Jpeg.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

<kvvieqF6muaU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20589&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20589

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 12:06:51 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 12:06 UTC

On 06/01/2024 17:22, John Ashby wrote:
> We’ve just heard some splendid examples of Bad Taste concerning The
> Archers but for some reason there was an epidemic (if I’m still allowed
> to use that word) of Bad Taste About Death in Ambridge. I have therefore
> created a special category covering just that. And to present the award
> is a man who has benefitted greatly from death in the last two years and
> is no stranger to the pomp and ceremony that surrounds events such as
> this one. Will you please all rise (OK, everyone except Rosie) for His
> Majesty King Charles the Spani^H^H^H^H^HThird.
>
> Thank you, thank you. Sit down all of you, this isn’t the bloody
> Hallelujah Chorus. Stupid tradition just because great great great great
> great grandfather had a bout of cramp at an inopportune moment. And who
> let all these dreadful people in here. That awful Witchell man, why
> isn’t he skulking around the chalets of Klosters? As for my idiot son
> and his transatlantic bint, the less said about them the better. And an
> abdicating monarch! Talk about salt in a wound. What’s that Camilla? I
> need to get on with it. Why? You and Lilian want a fag break? I see.
>
> The nominations for Bad Taste About Death in Ambridge (sounds like
> another detective spinoff for one of those channels that are so far down
> the TV guide that nobody ever watches them)… What? Oh yes. The
> nominations are:

<snip unimportant stuff ;)

> And the winner is… the winner is… If I can just get this bloody envelope
> open… the winner is… it’s useless, why does nothing work these days?…
> The winner is… Got it. The winner is The Radio 4 website for burying the
> hatchet. Many congratulations, and what do you do? How interesting. Can
> I go now?
>
> Thank you Your Majesty, something I never thought I’d find myself saying
> twice in one night. Or at all, actually. Smokers' corner is round the
> back of the staff car park if you’re looking for your wife.

KC and the Son'shite Banned impersonations are uncanny :))))

Re: Umra Bad Taste Awards 2023 - Part 5

<RNbwZfSOqqmlFw8n@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20595&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20595

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:43:42 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:43 UTC

In message <kvvdaoFm72tU1@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 7 Jan 2024
10:39:20, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>On 07/01/2024 03:36, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> For any that don't know - my name is John. I just don't put it in my
>>.sig because I don't like being addressed by it by dweebs calling me
>>from companies. (Though since they're partially automated, I'm used to
>>"Dear Mr.", "Dear J", and "Dear Jp".)
>
>Who are you trying to kid? Werats all know you're Jpeg.

<BG> I had the initials (and managed to secure them as a callsign) well
before the Joint Picture Experts Group was a twinkle in someone's eye!

(The P is Paul. [No, no relation to the one-time chef at Grey Gables.
{Wot, an on-topic reference?}] My parents assured us that they gave us
[brother is Peter Michael] common names, having seen so many unsuitable
ones on school registers over the years [they were teachers], and gave
us two in case we didn't like the first one [we've both stuck with the
first one]; I think they were telling us the truth, as I've not found
any near ancestor/relative we could have been named after.)

.... "from a person I admire, respect, and deeply love." "Who was that then?"
"Me." (Zaphod Beeblebrox in the Link episode.)