Morton's Law: If rats are experimented upon, they will develop cancer.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Tweet I liked

SubjectAuthor
* Tweet I likedVicky
`* Tweet I likedJohn Finlay
 +* Tweet I likedMike McMillan
 |`* Tweet I likedVicky
 | `- Tweet I likedMike McMillan
 `* Tweet I likedkrw
  +- Tweet I likedSerena Blanchflower
  `* Re: Tweet I likedBen Blaney
   `* Re: Tweet I likedJohn Finlay
    +* Re: Tweet I likedSam Plusnet
    |`* Re: Tweet I likedNick Odell
    | `* Re: Tweet I likedChris J Dixon
    |  `* Re: Tweet I likedJohn Ashby
    |   +- Re: Tweet I likedBrritSki
    |   +- Re: Tweet I likedRosie Mitchell
    |   `- Re: Tweet I likedMike McMillan
    `* Re: Tweet I likedkosmo
     +- Re: Tweet I likedMike McMillan
     `- Re: Tweet I likedJ. P. Gilliver

1
Tweet I liked

<ug3qpit6l13af0nag6hpdpf13sue3kp7gl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20634&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20634

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Tweet I liked
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 09:14:04 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 09:14 UTC

'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
chances in negotiating with an 8 year old' Think they were referring
to Grundies.

Re: Tweet I liked

<unjl41$21ig8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20635&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20635

From: chemistman@hotmail.com (John Finlay)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Tweet I liked
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:26:30 +0000
 by: John Finlay - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:26 UTC

On 09/01/2024 09:14, Vicky wrote:
> 'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
> chances in negotiating with an 8 year old' Think they were referring
> to Grundies.

Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work -
even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had all
that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came from.
Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in touch
with RT for a few hints.

Re: Tweet I liked

<unjm39$21o5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20636&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20636

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:43:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RO2i4wR0Q0GdOy2I8KpRJCEh/bQ=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:43 UTC

John Finlay <chemistman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2024 09:14, Vicky wrote:
>> 'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
>> chances in negotiating with an 8 year old' Think they were referring
>> to Grundies.
>
> Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work -
> even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had all
> that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came from.
> Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in touch
> with RT for a few hints.

‘Sobvious where Rob made his money; he invested in Myson Radiators. HTH,
HAND.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Tweet I liked

<_LCdnd363vS76gD4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20638&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20638

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:41:13 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:41 UTC

On 9.1.24 14:26, John Finlay wrote:
> On 09/01/2024 09:14, Vicky wrote:
>> 'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
>> chances in negotiating with an 8 year old'  Think they were referring
>> to Grundies.
>
> Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work -
> even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had all
> that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came from.
> Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in touch
> with RT for a few hints.

I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
is being passed on. I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
but to make large sums?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Tweet I liked

<7s2rpild8obu9a059pkam0thes3n3a4p88@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20642&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20642

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 18:08:16 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:08 UTC

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:43:53 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>John Finlay <chemistman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/01/2024 09:14, Vicky wrote:
>>> 'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
>>> chances in negotiating with an 8 year old' Think they were referring
>>> to Grundies.
>>
>> Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work -
>> even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had all
>> that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came from.
>> Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in touch
>> with RT for a few hints.
>>

>‘Sobvious where Rob made his money; he invested in Myson Radiators. HTH,
>HAND.

Whoosh?

Re: Tweet I liked

<unk2qb$1v4s4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20643&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20643

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:20:58 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:20 UTC

On 09/01/2024 16:41, krw wrote:
> On 9.1.24 14:26, John Finlay wrote:
>> On 09/01/2024 09:14, Vicky wrote:
>>> 'They could try to buy the land off Jack but I don't fancy Tom's
>>> chances in negotiating with an 8 year old'  Think they were referring
>>> to Grundies.
>>
>> Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work
>> - even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had
>> all that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came
>> from. Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in
>> touch with RT for a few hints.
>
> I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
> is being passed on.  I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
> money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
> but to make large sums?

Yes, my assumption has been that it was money he inherited from his
mother, and/or the results of an insurance policy - either life
insurance or a critical illness policy.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in

Re: Tweet I liked

<unk4it$241o3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20645&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20645

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:51:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:H6mZ2Pqi5LoUKhGvNlY46WsZJrY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:51 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 14:43:53 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> John Finlay <chemistman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bearing in mind the number of farmers who can't make the business work -
>>> even with subsidies, it obviously paid well for Rob T since he had all
>>> that money saved up to buy the land. One wonders where it came from.
>>> Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should engage a spirit medium to get in touch
>>> with RT for a few hints.
>>>

>> ‘Sobvious where Rob made his money; he invested in Myson Radiators. HTH,
>> HAND.
>
> Whoosh?

I refer yer ‘onerable lady to :
https://www.myson.co.uk/products/radiators.htm

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Tweet I liked

<unuveq$3jm9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20803&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20803

From: benblaney@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:31:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:31 UTC

On Jan 9, 2024 at 11:41:13 AM EST, "krw" <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

> I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
> is being passed on. I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
> money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
> but to make large sums?

We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his estate. It
may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find it easy
to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at the time
of his death.

Re: Tweet I liked

<uo0lua$eitt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20815&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20815

From: chemistman@hotmail.com (John Finlay)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:00:10 +0000
 by: John Finlay - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:00 UTC

On 13/01/2024 21:31, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2024 at 11:41:13 AM EST, "krw" <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
>> is being passed on. I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
>> money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
>> but to make large sums?
>
> We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his estate. It
> may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
> units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find it easy
> to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at the time
> of his death.

I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country can
hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or intentions are
obscured.

Re: Tweet I liked

<AtWoN.9342$Qspa.7590@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20833&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20833

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:20:00 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 14-Jan-24 13:00, John Finlay wrote:
> On 13/01/2024 21:31, Ben Blaney wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 2024 at 11:41:13 AM EST, "krw" <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
>>> is being passed on.  I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
>>> money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
>>> but to make large sums?
>>
>> We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his
>> estate. It
>> may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
>> units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find
>> it easy
>> to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at
>> the time
>> of his death.
>
> I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country can
> hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or intentions are
> obscured.

The Land Registry seem to think they can tell you who owns a piece of
land. Are they wrong[1]?

I suppose the owner could be a company which in turn is owned by another
company etc. etc. which might make it difficult.

[1] I'm sure they are, since they cannot tell you who owns _this_ piece
of land. We bought the house before the Land Registry covered this area.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tweet I liked

<f5v8qi5itbqgr5t711uni6n2cjifao9h5c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20835&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20835

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 00:32:16 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 00:32 UTC

On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:20:00 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 14-Jan-24 13:00, John Finlay wrote:

>>> We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his
>>> estate. It
>>> may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
>>> units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find
>>> it easy
>>> to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at
>>> the time
>>> of his death.
>>
>> I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country can
>> hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or intentions are
>> obscured.
>
>The Land Registry seem to think they can tell you who owns a piece of
>land. Are they wrong[1]?
>
>I suppose the owner could be a company which in turn is owned by another
>company etc. etc. which might make it difficult.
>
>[1] I'm sure they are, since they cannot tell you who owns _this_ piece
>of land. We bought the house before the Land Registry covered this area.

Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
the real ownership of property in the UK?

Nick

Re: Tweet I liked

<u9t9qilv4quccu4ltpfv53o91sg3fs2mfn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20839&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20839

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:06:37 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:06 UTC

Nick Odell wrote:

>Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
>some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
>the real ownership of property in the UK?

This kind of thing?

<https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1746483181472104920>
"New report: we've traced 25 more Douglas Barrowman companies
where they've unlawfully concealed the ownership."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: Tweet I liked

<uo32vp$t5i7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20840&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20840

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:55:53 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:55 UTC

On 15/01/2024 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Nick Odell wrote:
>
>> Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
>> some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
>> the real ownership of property in the UK?
>
> This kind of thing?
>
> <https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1746483181472104920>
> "New report: we've traced 25 more Douglas Barrowman companies
> where they've unlawfully concealed the ownership."
>
> Chris

It's just Mone, Mone, Mone with you.

john

Re: Tweet I liked

<l0kio7Fkk6sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20841&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20841

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:20:40 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:20 UTC

On 15/01/2024 10:55, John Ashby wrote:
> On 15/01/2024 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>>> Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
>>> some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
>>> the real ownership of property in the UK?
>>
>> This kind of thing?
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1746483181472104920>
>> "New report: we've traced 25 more Douglas Barrowman companies
>> where they've unlawfully concealed the ownership."
>
> It's just Mone, Mone, Mone with you.

<applause>

Re: Tweet I liked

<87r0iist03.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20843&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20843

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:03:56 +0000
sha1:QFGdvaKpI55FM2EOHjqCkA6BsVk=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:03 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 15/01/2024 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>>> Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
>>> some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
>>> the real ownership of property in the UK?
>> This kind of thing?
>> <https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1746483181472104920>
>> "New report: we've traced 25 more Douglas Barrowman companies
>> where they've unlawfully concealed the ownership."
>> Chris
>
> It's just Mone, Mone, Mone with you.

Bravo!

Rosie

Re: Tweet I liked

<uo3sn6$119u9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20848&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20848

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:15:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qKSg+oa7GywjI9xt/kQ4wF987CE=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:15 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/2024 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>>> Was it the Panama Papers or something similar that uncovered the way
>>> some people use an elaborate network of shell companies to obfuscate
>>> the real ownership of property in the UK?
>>
>> This kind of thing?
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/DanNeidle/status/1746483181472104920>
>> "New report: we've traced 25 more Douglas Barrowman companies
>> where they've unlawfully concealed the ownership."
>>
>> Chris
>
> It's just Mone, Mone, Mone with you.
>
> john

You may care to don PPE before reading such things - I know of a supplier
who has a frustrated order going spare…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Tweet I liked

<SDOdnQ3Vb4Vg1Tv4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20856&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20856

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:14:38 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: kosmo@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
 by: kosmo - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:14 UTC

On 14.1.24 13:00, John Finlay wrote:
> On 13/01/2024 21:31, Ben Blaney wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 2024 at 11:41:13 AM EST, "krw" <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if at some point Ursula left some money for her sons and this
>>> is being passed on.  I find it hard to believe that Rob made significant
>>> money whilst alive - no doubt well paid and parsimonious in expenditure
>>> but to make large sums?
>>
>> We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his
>> estate. It
>> may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
>> units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find
>> it easy
>> to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at
>> the time
>> of his death.
>
> I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country can
> hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or intentions are
> obscured.

Why should anyone announce themselves?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Tweet I liked

<uo5igr$1cg27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20858&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20858

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:33:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:egx8na8F09PNEPldCkjSgOc/9b0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:33 UTC

kosmo <kosmo@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 14.1.24 13:00, John Finlay wrote:

>>> We don't know that the ~500k for the land was some or all of his
>>> estate. It
>>> may have been all. He was a senior factory farming manager, and ran large
>>> units before coming to Ambridge, and subsequently in America. I find
>>> it easy
>>> to believe that he was paid well and had a net worth of 500 grand at
>>> the time
>>> of his death.
>>
>> I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country can
>> hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or intentions are
>> obscured.
>
> Why should anyone announce themselves?

‘This is Swindler Ruthless Fujitsu here, I may or may not have, a few
billion to invest in some land…’

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Tweet I liked

<KkWc7yKqmmplFwFz@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20860&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20860

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:34:02 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:34 UTC

In message <SDOdnQ3Vb4Vg1Tv4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk> at Tue,
16 Jan 2024 09:14:38, kosmo <kosmo@whitnet.uk> writes
>On 14.1.24 13:00, John Finlay wrote:
[]
>> I do find it very strange still that buyers of land in this country
>>can hide behind lawyers so that their true identities and/or
>>intentions are obscured.
>
>Why should anyone announce themselves?

There's a difference between announcing, and deliberately obscuring.

I _believe_ - having used it on behalf of our residents' association -
that the _ownership_ of land can be determined, by a 3 pounds fee to the
land registry. Of course, this doesn't tell you anything about
_intentions_ - but those (short of very minor things, and I don't know
where the threshold is - IANAL) require planning permission, which has
to go through the usual tedious process. Though you need valid grounds
to object - "I don't like it" isn't one. In the case of a lot of
authorities - it may be all - the default position is permit, _unless_ a
valid objection is raised - which it can be by the authorities' own
people, or any consultee - or anyone else; you _don't_ have to be a
consultee to raise an objection (or to support!).

"... all your hard work in the hands of twelve people too stupid to get off
jury duty." CSI, 200x