From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Focus modes and standy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:53:31 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:53 UTC

Having finally got a MagSafe-compatible phone and charger, I’m looking at
using Standby, and possibly Focus. I’ve never really used or paid attention
to these before, so I’m no expert.

What I would like to do is switch to a particular set of standby widgets when
my phone is in a particular focus mode. Concrete examples: work from office,
work from home. For work from office - work calendar, work video call
alerting, but no personal photos thank you. Work from home - basically the
same, but please show me some pretty pictures while I’m working, maybe even
music too.

I’m finding it completely unclear if I can do this. Searching talks about
mostly sleep focus, which I don’t want to use. It also talks about
customising home pages, which I -also- don’t really want to do much but
will do so if it’s the key to setting a particular standby mode. Searching
for standby talks about ‘charger memory’, where it remembers what widgets
to switch on on a particular charger? Could be the key, but also not a
’switch with focus’ option.

Does anyone use these in any depth and know if it can be done?

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Focus modes and standy

<b97432a3-d1c6-4ef3-b4af-15c85cb6e2aa@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20654&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20654

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Focus modes and standy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:35:34 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:35 UTC

On 24/01/2024 12:53, Ian McCall wrote:
> Having finally got a MagSafe-compatible phone and charger, I’m looking at
> using Standby, and possibly Focus. I’ve never really used or paid attention
> to these before, so I’m no expert.
>
> What I would like to do is switch to a particular set of standby widgets when
> my phone is in a particular focus mode. Concrete examples: work from office,
> work from home. For work from office - work calendar, work video call
> alerting, but no personal photos thank you. Work from home - basically the
> same, but please show me some pretty pictures while I’m working, maybe even
> music too.
>
> I’m finding it completely unclear if I can do this. Searching talks about
> mostly sleep focus, which I don’t want to use. It also talks about
> customising home pages, which I -also- don’t really want to do much but
> will do so if it’s the key to setting a particular standby mode. Searching
> for standby talks about ‘charger memory’, where it remembers what widgets
> to switch on on a particular charger? Could be the key, but also not a
> ’switch with focus’ option.
>
> Does anyone use these in any depth and know if it can be done?

Only dabbled but custom home screens are key.

First, outside of any focus mode, you need to create two sets of home
screens: one set of pages configured with the apps you want for working
from work; the other set configured with the apps you want for working
from home.

If you need the same app in both focus modes i.e. need the same app to
appear on two different home screen pages then drag it from the App
Library each time.

Then create your two focus modes. When configuring each mode choose the
"custom home screen" option and you see thumbnails of all of your home
screens - tick those that apply to this focus mode. Repeat for the
second focus mode.

That's it for setup.

When you are in a focus mode you only see the home screen pages that you
ticked and not the others. When you change focus mode, the home screens
change as well.

If you come out of a focus mode but don't go into another you see all
your screens again.

I don't really use widgets so I'm not sure what happens but, presumably,
they change too.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England