Except for 75% of the women, everyone in the whole world wants to have sex. -- Ellyn Mustard

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Where's my email?

SubjectAuthor
* Where's my email?Mark
`* Re: Where's my email?Jörg Lorenz
 `* Re: Where's my email?Mark
  +- Re: Where's my email?Jörg Lorenz
  `* Re: Where's my email?Alan B
   `* Re: Where's my email?Jörg Lorenz
    `* Re: Where's my email?Mark
     `* Re: Where's my email?Mark
      `* Re: Where's my email?Mark
       `- Re: Where's my email?Jörg Lorenz

1
Where's my email?

<uoef8p$38l82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20580&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20580

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Where's my email?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:32:57 +0000
 by: Mark - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:32 UTC

Ok, this is the second time this has happened in a week...

I have 4 Gmail accounts in Mail. No problems up until now. Last week,
my main account suddenly lost all its inbox emails. If I clicked on
that individual inbox, it was empty (of emails going back about 20
years). The other 3 accounts were fine. I checked the account through
the web - it's fine. Checked on my phone (both Mail app and Gmail app)
- it's fine. Just desktop on this Catalina install.

Emailing myself from the account on the desktop (it defaults to my main
email address) gets me the email arrived 'bong', but nothing visible.
Before, emailling myself (from the app or desktop, I can't remember)
would result in it actually showing up. Some version of emailling
myself from one to the other resulted in all my emails coming back, but
right now I can't remember the magic combination...

And they've all just appeared! What the hell is going on?!?

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Where's my email?

<uoepgo$3ab7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20581&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20581

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Where's my email?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 22:27:52 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 21:27 UTC

On 19.01.24 19:32, Mark wrote:
> Ok, this is the second time this has happened in a week...
>
> I have 4 Gmail accounts in Mail. No problems up until now. Last week,
> my main account suddenly lost all its inbox emails. If I clicked on
> that individual inbox, it was empty (of emails going back about 20
> years). The other 3 accounts were fine. I checked the account through
> the web - it's fine. Checked on my phone (both Mail app and Gmail app)
> - it's fine. Just desktop on this Catalina install.
>
> Emailing myself from the account on the desktop (it defaults to my main
> email address) gets me the email arrived 'bong', but nothing visible.
> Before, emailling myself (from the app or desktop, I can't remember)
> would result in it actually showing up. Some version of emailling
> myself from one to the other resulted in all my emails coming back, but
> right now I can't remember the magic combination...
>
> And they've all just appeared! What the hell is going on?!?

Difficult to say what the reason is from a distance. But the first what
I would do is to renew the index-database:

Close Apple Mail.

Go To - Library - Mail - V10 - Mail Data. There either you rename or
delete all files which contain "Envelope Index" in the name.

Do not be afraid the rebuilding of the index data base can take several
minutes depending on the size of your e-mail database and the
performance of the hardware.

HTH, Jörg

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Where's my email?

<uoet1t$3b1g6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20582&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20582

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 22:28:13 +0000
 by: Mark - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 22:28 UTC

On 2024-01-19 21:27:52 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:

> On 19.01.24 19:32, Mark wrote:
>> Ok, this is the second time this has happened in a week...
>>
>> I have 4 Gmail accounts in Mail. No problems up until now. Last week,
>> my main account suddenly lost all its inbox emails. If I clicked on
>> that individual inbox, it was empty (of emails going back about 20
>> years). The other 3 accounts were fine. I checked the account through
>> the web - it's fine. Checked on my phone (both Mail app and Gmail app)
>> - it's fine. Just desktop on this Catalina install.
>>
>> Emailing myself from the account on the desktop (it defaults to my main
>> email address) gets me the email arrived 'bong', but nothing visible.
>> Before, emailling myself (from the app or desktop, I can't remember)
>> would result in it actually showing up. Some version of emailling
>> myself from one to the other resulted in all my emails coming back, but
>> right now I can't remember the magic combination...
>>
>> And they've all just appeared! What the hell is going on?!?
>
> Difficult to say what the reason is from a distance. But the first what
> I would do is to renew the index-database:
>
> Close Apple Mail.
>
> Go To - Library - Mail - V10 - Mail Data. There either you rename or
> delete all files which contain "Envelope Index" in the name.
>
> Do not be afraid the rebuilding of the index data base can take several
> minutes depending on the size of your e-mail database and the
> performance of the hardware.
>
> HTH, Jörg

In my case it would be the V7 - Mail Data folder?
<https://imgur.com/a/xeqdkGF> I have 7 "Envelope Index" files in there
<https://imgur.com/a/8r7wpPV>
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Where's my email?

<uof697$3cchs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20583&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20583

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 02:05:43 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 01:05 UTC

On 19.01.24 23:28, Mark wrote:
> On 2024-01-19 21:27:52 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:
>
>> On 19.01.24 19:32, Mark wrote:
>>> Ok, this is the second time this has happened in a week...
>>>
>>> I have 4 Gmail accounts in Mail. No problems up until now. Last week,
>>> my main account suddenly lost all its inbox emails. If I clicked on
>>> that individual inbox, it was empty (of emails going back about 20
>>> years). The other 3 accounts were fine. I checked the account through
>>> the web - it's fine. Checked on my phone (both Mail app and Gmail app)
>>> - it's fine. Just desktop on this Catalina install.
>>>
>>> Emailing myself from the account on the desktop (it defaults to my main
>>> email address) gets me the email arrived 'bong', but nothing visible.
>>> Before, emailling myself (from the app or desktop, I can't remember)
>>> would result in it actually showing up. Some version of emailling
>>> myself from one to the other resulted in all my emails coming back, but
>>> right now I can't remember the magic combination...
>>>
>>> And they've all just appeared! What the hell is going on?!?
>>
>> Difficult to say what the reason is from a distance. But the first what
>> I would do is to renew the index-database:
>>
>> Close Apple Mail.
>>
>> Go To - Library - Mail - V10 - Mail Data. There either you rename or
>> delete all files which contain "Envelope Index" in the name.
>>
>> Do not be afraid the rebuilding of the index data base can take several
>> minutes depending on the size of your e-mail database and the
>> performance of the hardware.
>>
>> HTH, Jörg
>
> In my case it would be the V7 - Mail Data folder?
> <https://imgur.com/a/xeqdkGF> I have 7 "Envelope Index" files in there
> <https://imgur.com/a/8r7wpPV>

Correct because you use an older version of Mail.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Where's my email?

<uofs61$3j2iq$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20584&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20584

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:19:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:19 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2024-01-19 21:27:52 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:
>
>> On 19.01.24 19:32, Mark wrote:
>>> Ok, this is the second time this has happened in a week...
>>>
>>> I have 4 Gmail accounts in Mail. No problems up until now. Last week,
>>> my main account suddenly lost all its inbox emails. If I clicked on
>>> that individual inbox, it was empty (of emails going back about 20
>>> years). The other 3 accounts were fine. I checked the account through
>>> the web - it's fine. Checked on my phone (both Mail app and Gmail app)
>>> - it's fine. Just desktop on this Catalina install.
>>>
>>> Emailing myself from the account on the desktop (it defaults to my main
>>> email address) gets me the email arrived 'bong', but nothing visible.
>>> Before, emailling myself (from the app or desktop, I can't remember)
>>> would result in it actually showing up. Some version of emailling
>>> myself from one to the other resulted in all my emails coming back, but
>>> right now I can't remember the magic combination...
>>>
>>> And they've all just appeared! What the hell is going on?!?
>>
>> Difficult to say what the reason is from a distance. But the first what
>> I would do is to renew the index-database:
>>
>> Close Apple Mail.
>>
>> Go To - Library - Mail - V10 - Mail Data. There either you rename or
>> delete all files which contain "Envelope Index" in the name.
>>
>> Do not be afraid the rebuilding of the index data base can take several
>> minutes depending on the size of your e-mail database and the
>> performance of the hardware.
>>
>> HTH, Jörg
>
> In my case it would be the V7 - Mail Data folder?
> <https://imgur.com/a/xeqdkGF> I have 7 "Envelope Index" files in there
> <https://imgur.com/a/8r7wpPV>

I’ve also tried it when I had mail problems and it did the trick. I think I
first saw that recommendation here.

<http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#itemten>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Where's my email?

<uoft3m$3j5su$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20585&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20585

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:35:18 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:35 UTC

On 20.01.24 08:19, Alan B wrote:
> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Difficult to say what the reason is from a distance. But the first what
>>> I would do is to renew the index-database:
>>>
>>> Close Apple Mail.
>>>
>>> Go To - Library - Mail - V10 - Mail Data. There either you rename or
>>> delete all files which contain "Envelope Index" in the name.
>>>
>>> Do not be afraid the rebuilding of the index data base can take several
>>> minutes depending on the size of your e-mail database and the
>>> performance of the hardware.
>>>
>>> HTH, Jörg
>>
>> In my case it would be the V7 - Mail Data folder?
>> <https://imgur.com/a/xeqdkGF> I have 7 "Envelope Index" files in there
>> <https://imgur.com/a/8r7wpPV>
>
> I’ve also tried it when I had mail problems and it did the trick. I think I
> first saw that recommendation here.
>
> <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#itemten>

After this exercise Mail will also be noticeably faster and snappier

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Where's my email?

<uogffr$3m40d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20586&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20586

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 12:48:59 +0000
 by: Mark - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 12:48 UTC

On 2024-01-20 07:35:18 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:

> On 20.01.24 08:19, Alan B wrote:
>> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In my case it would be the V7 - Mail Data folder?
>>> <https://imgur.com/a/xeqdkGF> I have 7 "Envelope Index" files in there
>>> <https://imgur.com/a/8r7wpPV>
>>
>> I’ve also tried it when I had mail problems and it did the trick. I think I
>> first saw that recommendation here.
>>
>> <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#itemten>
>
> After this exercise Mail will also be noticeably faster and snappier

Thanks Jörg/Alan. That seemed to go painlessly. It took about 30 min
though, with almost 215,000 messages... If it'll speed up the time
between when I recieve an email to the time it shows up in Mail, that
will be fab (can/could take up to a minute or two before).
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Where's my email?

<uolkaj$n7kn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20604&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20604

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:42:11 +0000
 by: Mark - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:42 UTC

On 2024-01-20 12:48:59 +0000, Mark said:

> On 2024-01-20 07:35:18 +0000, Jörg Lorenz said:

>>> I’ve also tried it when I had mail problems and it did the trick. I think I
>>> first saw that recommendation here.
>>>
>>> <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#itemten>
>>
>> After this exercise Mail will also be noticeably faster and snappier
>
> Thanks Jörg/Alan. That seemed to go painlessly. It took about 30 min
> though, with almost 215,000 messages... If it'll speed up the time
> between when I recieve an email to the time it shows up in Mail, that
> will be fab (can/could take up to a minute or two before).

Damnit! It's happening again. Grrrr.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Where's my email?

<uos3e2$200m2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20656&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20656

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:36:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mquD+qmS42SufH8QQj3pTkvhkLs=
 by: Mark - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:36 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2024-01-20 12:48:59 +0000, Mark said:

>>> After this exercise Mail will also be noticeably faster and snappier
>>
>> Thanks Jörg/Alan. That seemed to go painlessly. It took about 30 min
>> though, with almost 215,000 messages... If it'll speed up the time
>> between when I recieve an email to the time it shows up in Mail, that
>> will be fab (can/could take up to a minute or two before).
>
> Damnit! It's happening again. Grrrr.

And it came back. Just like that.

--
Cheers … Mark

Re: Where's my email?

<uostak$26sgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20658&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20658

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 06:58:44 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 05:58 UTC

Am 24.01.24 um 23:36 schrieb Mark:
> with almost 215,000 messages

Surprised?

--