Why bother building any more nuclear warheads until we use the ones we have?

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

SubjectAuthor
* Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham
+* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourAlan B
|`- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham
+* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourMark
|`* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham
| `* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourSn!pe
|  +* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham
|  |`* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourJohn
|  | `- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourDavid B.
|  `* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourAlan B
|   `- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourSn!pe
+* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourJ. J. Lodder
|`- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourJohn
`* Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourPaul
 +- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham
 `- Re: Strange newsgroup behaviourLiz Tuddenham

1
Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qocl1g.ul02q49lt3kN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20759&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20759

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Strange newsgroup behaviour
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:39:55 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:39 UTC

MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net

For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
listing.

Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.

I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<alanrichardbarker-198C66.10515203022024@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20760&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20760

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 10:51:53 +0000
 by: Alan B - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:51 UTC

In article <1qocl1g.ul02q49lt3kN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

> MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
>
> For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> listing.
>
> Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
>
> I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?

Have you got some existing but maybe forgotten kill-file which might
impact on posts to that group?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qocnq1.1s4tcg21fkhz0gN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20763&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20763

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:31:36 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:31 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1qocl1g.ul02q49lt3kN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
> liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>
> > MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
> >
> > For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> > from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> > saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> > download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> > from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> > listing.
> >
> > Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> > tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> > that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
> >
> > I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> > like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> > appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?
>
> Have you got some existing but maybe forgotten kill-file which might
> impact on posts to that group?

I wondered about that but I have checked and can't see anything obvious
in the kill-file apart from the usual suspects who pollute that group.
There doesn't seem to be any way of temporarily suspending the kill-file
without deleting all the entries and putting them in again.

I'll check again....

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<upl89m$33sbj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20764&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20764

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:33:10 +0000
 by: Mark - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:33 UTC

On 2024-02-03 10:39:55 +0000, Liz Tuddenham said:

> MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
>
> For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> listing.
>
> Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
>
> I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?

I just subscribed. I see 8 posts fom this year - 1 from 11th Jan, 6
from 17th (inc 2 from you) and one from 20th.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qocqd4.1haxehu1x33c7kN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20767&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20767

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 12:28:31 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 12:28 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2024-02-03 10:39:55 +0000, Liz Tuddenham said:
>
> > MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
> >
> > For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> > from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> > saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> > download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> > from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> > listing.
> >
> > Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> > tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> > that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
> >
> > I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> > like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> > appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?
>
> I just subscribed. I see 8 posts fom this year - 1 from 11th Jan, 6
> from 17th (inc 2 from you) and one from 20th.

That looks as though the group has suddenly died, with is rather odd
because, although it wasn't bursting with life, it didn't seem to be
faltering. If it really is dead, why do I get prompted to download
hundreds of entries?

I have tried removing all the kill-file entries and just received one
spam message.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qocs43.gag6a21hi31k4N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20769&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20769

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:54:47 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 12:54 UTC

Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
>
> For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> listing.
>
> Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
>
> I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?

A server problem probably. Nothing you can do anything about.
(except by switching servers)

Jan

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qocvcj.2hxaqh12qdc42N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20772&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20772

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:18:17 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:18 UTC

Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2024-02-03 10:39:55 +0000, Liz Tuddenham said:
> >
> > > MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
> > >
> > > For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> > > from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> > > saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> > > download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> > > from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> > > listing.
> > >
> > > Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> > > tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> > > that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
> > >
> > > I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> > > like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> > > appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?
> >
> > I just subscribed. I see 8 posts fom this year - 1 from 11th Jan, 6
> > from 17th (inc 2 from you) and one from 20th.
>
> That looks as though the group has suddenly died, with is rather odd
> because, although it wasn't bursting with life, it didn't seem to be
> faltering. If it really is dead, why do I get prompted to download
> hundreds of entries?
>
> I have tried removing all the kill-file entries and just received one
> spam message.

It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of [nnnn] new
posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
gateway in a couple of weeks time.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qod5hh.1oh44t311re3e6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20773&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20773

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:55:25 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I just subscribed. I see 8 posts fom this year - 1 from 11th Jan, 6
> > > from 17th (inc 2 from you) and one from 20th.
> >
> > That looks as though the group has suddenly died, with is rather odd
> > because, although it wasn't bursting with life, it didn't seem to be
> > faltering. If it really is dead, why do I get prompted to download
> > hundreds of entries?
> >
> > I have tried removing all the kill-file entries and just received one
> > spam message.
> >

> It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of [nnnn] new
> posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
> articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
> some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
> anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
> problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
> gateway in a couple of weeks time.

Either that or the system of counting how many messages were waiting
included unwanted spam as well as wanted messages. There were [nnnn]
spam messages waiting on the server but my kill-file wouldn't allow them
to be downloaded, so they just kept accumulating. Because they were
kill-filed, I didn't see what was happening.

Since I removed the persistent obnoxious posters from the kill-file and
just put in one single anti-spam entry, it has already trapped four spam
posts in a few hours.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<upmlds$3bf5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20781&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20781

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:23:23 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:23 UTC

On 2/3/2024 5:39 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
>
> For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
> from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
> saying there are [nnnn] new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
> download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
> from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
> listing.
>
> Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
> tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
> that the number [nnnn] has got bigger.
>
> I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
> like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
> appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?

I think the question deserves an answer.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/LsJR9gKc/rec-audio-pro-Thai-Spam-Bomb-GG.gif

Two things are happening. Using an *unfiltered* server, that picture
shows you the messages you are missing. They are spam. GoogleGroups spam.
Google Groups is disconnecting their SpamBucket from USENET on
Feb 25 or so. Then, there will be no more Thai-Spam-Bomb. You can also
see the content in question, here. It's the same spam of course.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.audio.pro # Just look at the spam

Imagine you are a rec.audio.pro newsgroup user. You open your
newsreader, and 2000 of those greet your eyes. When you look,
you cannot see any legitimate posts. If you make a legitimate
post, it just scrolls off the screen, buried in Thai-Spam.

Now, many USENET servers, have been fitting filters to remove that spam,
via the characteristics of the spam. When you connect to one of those
servers, you see eight legitimate posts and no spam (or, close to no spam).
(This is why you see the number "2000" flash in your reader, and a microsecond
later it reads "8", that's a side effect of the filtering.)

Your conclusion would be, looking at the screen "My Newsgroup is Dead!!!".
Well, it's not. It will come back to life, after Feb.25,2024.

This has already happened in comp.lang.c .

Comp.lang.c was decimated by Thai-Spam. The regulars stopped showing up.
If a legit post was made, it scrolled off the screen.

GoogleGroups closed CLC to posting (from their side only, stopping the Thai-Spammers to CLC).
So in addition to disconnecting on Feb25, for that newsgroup, they prevented
the spammers from posting.

Well, the group came back to life. Several threads about topicality
and what would be discussed in the group and so on. There has
been more activity recently than there was before the spamming campaign began.

*******

Q: Why did the spamming campaign start in the first place ?

A: A foreign country, legalized gambling. This was intended to
bring more foreigners ("losers") to the country as tourists,
who would bet-bet-bet and make the country a fortune. This was
intended to prop up the tourist industry, and "have no effect"
on the local citizens. Even my own local government thinks this
way, and I see government gambling spam here.

Well, a side effect, is web sites for "gamblors" (people who can't
do anything but crank the handle on a slot machine) were set up
by entrepreneurs. Like most countries, even here, people under financial
stress think that high-risk investment is the way to personal salvation.
The web sites that were started, hoped to harvest these naive people.

To aid the effort, they offer participants "affiliate rewards". If
you can convince another loser to play Internet Poker or Slots
or to bet on local football teams (UFA league), there would be
a sizeable reward (of some sort, I am unable to translate this
in doubloons). Each spam link, should have an affiliate number on
the end of the link.

This causes the people with the sore elbows, to become Mechanical Turk,
and pump out spam after spam after spam.

To "join" a web site, you must make a minimal initial investment.
This is called "putting skin into the game". A person with sore
elbows, must now keep spamming, as part of their "investment".
It's quite possible their initial investment is more than a months wages.

By "bombing" GoogleGroups with spam, the participants hope to
have their links returned in a Google Search. This is a form
of SEO. Someone has convinced these people, that Google Search
will return their affiliate link, and they will be rewarded
(by the gambling website).

This is why they selected Google Groups (for its Google Search engine).
USENET being destroyed is mostly unintentional. But I can tell you that
some of the Thai Spammers are enjoying what they're doing. They've been
reading our discussions, and the spam rate "varied" when we said certain
things, as feedback.

When February 25 comes, the spammers of short stature, will continue
to spam GG to the tune of 3000 spams a day (per group). They are prevented from
too high a rate by things like anti-hammer. Google will continue to be
spammed -- but, we won't see it any more.

From one newsgroup, I downloaded *450MB* of spam. Just from one group.
I used that to collect statistics (on what kind of filter would work).
Knowing full well, that USENET is just about defenseless. One of the
filters being used right now, is SpamAssassin, as CleanFeed just can't
handle this stuff. Other admins have built filters, but their implementation
is secret. The filter outputs are pooled as "NoCeM".

For some reason, Google took pity on CLC, but they did not
scale this behavior further than a few groups.

On our side, the new filters will continue to run, even when the
cable to Google is cut. This will prevent the spammers from
making a beach head here.

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<7iiuripjp8iiuils2va1t7bf0073vl78tg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20787&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20787

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 08:28:32 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:28 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:55:25 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> > That looks as though the group has suddenly died, with is rather odd
>> > because, although it wasn't bursting with life, it didn't seem to be
>> > faltering. If it really is dead, why do I get prompted to download
>> > hundreds of entries?
>> >
>> > I have tried removing all the kill-file entries and just received one
>> > spam message.
>> >

>> It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of ÆnnnnÅ new
>> posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
>> articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
>> some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
>> anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
>> problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
>> gateway in a couple of weeks time.
>
>Either that or the system of counting how many messages were waiting
>included unwanted spam as well as wanted messages. There were ÆnnnnÅ
>spam messages waiting on the server but my kill-file wouldn't allow them
>to be downloaded, so they just kept accumulating. Because they were
>kill-filed, I didn't see what was happening.
>
>Since I removed the persistent obnoxious posters from the kill-file and
>just put in one single anti-spam entry, it has already trapped four spam
>posts in a few hours.

Being a bit sleepy and a little curious, I added r.a.p. to my list
and tried a download in my Agent 4.x under Win-7.

No new messages.
So I told Agent to "download all". It was happily trying to download
15,000 and more posts when I killed the command.

So I tried "sample resent headers" with 555 as my key. This seemed to
work fine. It was downloading 555 posts from the "all" list. It
completed the command but only gave me two messages, both of which are
spam and evil spam to boot.

No real posts.

I suspect r.a.p. is dead?

Sorry I couldn't help more.

J.

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<l2911cFoqfiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20788&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20788

From: bdb@nomail.afraid.org (David B.)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 4 Feb 2024 08:43:24 GMT
 by: David B. - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:43 UTC

On 4 Feb 2024 at 08:28:32 GMT, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:55:25 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
> (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of ÆnnnnÅ new
>>> posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
>>> articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
>>> some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
>>> anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
>>> problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
>>> gateway in a couple of weeks time.
>>
>> Either that or the system of counting how many messages were waiting
>> included unwanted spam as well as wanted messages. There were ÆnnnnÅ
>> spam messages waiting on the server but my kill-file wouldn't allow them
>> to be downloaded, so they just kept accumulating. Because they were
>> kill-filed, I didn't see what was happening.
>>
>> Since I removed the persistent obnoxious posters from the kill-file and
>> just put in one single anti-spam entry, it has already trapped four spam
>> posts in a few hours.
>
> Being a bit sleepy and a little curious, I added r.a.p. to my list
> and tried a download in my Agent 4.x under Win-7.
>
> No new messages.
>
> So I told Agent to "download all". It was happily trying to download
> 15,000 and more posts when I killed the command.
>
> So I tried "sample resent headers" with 555 as my key. This seemed to
> work fine. It was downloading 555 posts from the "all" list. It
> completed the command but only gave me two messages, both of which are
> spam and evil spam to boot.
>
> No real posts.
>
> I suspect r.a.p. is dead?
>
> Sorry I couldn't help more.
>
> J.

You may join 'alt.computer.workshop' if you wish.

There is no charge, John! ;-)

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<psjuripllseongj9f8m7a2oqqirjthbnb2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20789&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20789

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 08:53:07 +0000
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:53 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:54:47 +0100, nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J.
Lodder) wrote:

>Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> MacSOUP 2.4.6/news.individual.net
>>
>> For the last month I've been getting no posts apart from occasional spam
>> from the group: 'rec.audio.pro' but each time I log in I get a message
>> saying there are ÆnnnnÅ new posts in rec.audio.pro, do I want to
>> download the latest 200? I agree to this, no messages download (apart
>> from the aforementioned one spam per day) and none appear in the
>> listing.
>>
>> Last week this stopped happening but now it is happening again. I have
>> tried deleting the newsgroup and reloading it, but the only change is
>> that the number ÆnnnnÅ has got bigger.
>>
>> I subscribe to some other semi-moribund newsgroups and they don't behave
>> like this, rec.audio.pro was still moderately active when it suddenly
>> appeared to stop. Any Idea what is going on?
>
>A server problem probably. Nothing you can do anything about.
>(except by switching servers)

I don't use NIN and I got only two messages when I tried a "sample
recent" in Agent.

So I did a "retrieve all" and wandered off to do things while it
cycled.

4471 messages were kept out of 15,000 on the server. Almost all of
the 4471 were spam. The latest real messages were a thread 7-posts
long about TV sizes from 21/12/2003.

There was a long thread in April, 2003 about "is this how r.a.p.
dies?".

The rest was spam that made nit past my many, many filters.

J.

>Jan

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<upnmqu$3jkgl$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20791&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20791

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:53:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:53 UTC

On 2024-02-03, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of [nnnn] new
> posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
> articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
> some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
> anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
> problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
> gateway in a couple of weeks time.

Let's hope so. I thought I had found a false positive yesterday and notified
e-s but it seems it wasn't. It was probably down to some finger trouble here!
Anyway I was told of this very useful site to check 'eM out.

<https://www.novabbs.com/SEARCH/search_nocem.php>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qoej50.kh15pm1cxt4wN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20796&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20796

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:42:24 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:42 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

[...]

Will do. Thanks for the info.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qoexl3.1qfhpl81p1xzz8N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20799&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20799

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:04:32 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:04 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> On 2024-02-03, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It may be that after pulling headers and being notified of [nnnn] new
> > posts but before downloading the corresponding article bodies, the
> > articles in question have been deleted from the server. There have been
> > some cases of this in other groups. It was caused by the ongoing NoCeM
> > anti-spam effort aimed at the ongoing Google Groups spam flood. The
> > problem should largely go away when Google closes its Usenet <-> GG
> > gateway in a couple of weeks time.
>
> Let's hope so. I thought I had found a false positive yesterday and notified
> e-s but it seems it wasn't. It was probably down to some finger trouble here!
> Anyway I was told of this very useful site to check 'eM out.
>
> <https://www.novabbs.com/SEARCH/search_nocem.php>

Noted. Thanks, Alan.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Re: Strange newsgroup behaviour

<1qog7al.1a4kvdb5xjkvyN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20800&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20800

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:28:54 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:28 UTC

One of the other groups seems to have been targetted by an automated
posting bot which appears under a few different names and replies to
every single post with a load of unrelated abuse. It manages to pick
out the name of the poster it is responding to and incorporate this in
its reply. If it isn't an automated system, there must be a small group
of very determined idiots wasting a good part of each day seeking out
the genuine posts and typing abuse at them.

Although it is esy enough to kill-file the names it posts under, it
becomes tiresome when every single post in the MacSOUP 'London
Underground' map has one of these bogus replies appended to it.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk