From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: USB mystery behaviour
Date: 16 Feb 2024 18:21:49 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC

I have an external USB DVD drive so I can watch Mad Men on my M1 MacBook.

Except, every time I plug it in using the USB dongle, it just... clicks. The
system report shows that the drive is connected, and knows what it is, but all
it does is sit there clicking.

My other DVD drive (the one in the wrong country) works perfectly with the
same MacBook and dongle.

The drive works when connected to an Intel MacBook with plain old USB.

It spins up when connected to a USB-C power adaptor via the same dongle.

The USB-C ports on the M1 MacBook otherwise work just as expected.

So it seems to be some mysterious but annoying and not very interesting
interaction between the MacBook, dongle and DVD drive.

Daniele

Re: USB mystery behaviour

<l39oteFlhbeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20863&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20863

From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: USB mystery behaviour
Date: 16 Feb 2024 18:47:10 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:47 UTC

On 16 Feb 2024 at 19:21:49 CET, "D.M. Procida"
<daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> I have an external USB DVD drive so I can watch Mad Men on my M1 MacBook.
>
> Except, every time I plug it in using the USB dongle, it just... clicks. The
> system report shows that the drive is connected, and knows what it is, but all
> it does is sit there clicking.
>
> My other DVD drive (the one in the wrong country) works perfectly with the
> same MacBook and dongle.

Hmm, I was hoping to access the DVD over the network using DVD/CD sharing. The
Monterey MacBook says it's sharing it, but the Sonoma MacBook doesn't see it.
There's no longer a Device section in the Finder for it.

Do they no longer speak the same language?

Daniele

Re: USB mystery behaviour

<-Nn*xVcDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20884&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20884

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 17 Feb 2024 13:06:39 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 13:06 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> I have an external USB DVD drive so I can watch Mad Men on my M1 MacBook.
>
> Except, every time I plug it in using the USB dongle, it just... clicks. The
> system report shows that the drive is connected, and knows what it is, but all
> it does is sit there clicking.

Maybe the bearings are a bit sticky and it wants more power than the USB
port can provide? The typical solution for that is a powered hub, although
I'm not sure if a USB-C dongle with a charger port will do it.

Theo

Re: USB mystery behaviour

<l3hsgmF4mitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20925&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20925

From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Feb 2024 20:37:42 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:37 UTC

On 17 Feb 2024 at 14:06:39 CET, "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
>> I have an external USB DVD drive so I can watch Mad Men on my M1 MacBook.
>>
>> Except, every time I plug it in using the USB dongle, it just... clicks. The
>> system report shows that the drive is connected, and knows what it is, but all
>> it does is sit there clicking.
>
> Maybe the bearings are a bit sticky and it wants more power than the USB
> port can provide? The typical solution for that is a powered hub, although
> I'm not sure if a USB-C dongle with a charger port will do it.

No, it's happening even if the disk is already spinning at full speed!

I'm baffled.

Meanwhile I have spent quite some time fighting with VLC trying to stream it
over the network from the other Mac; I know it's possible, but I haven't
figured it out yet.

Daniele