A day for firm decisions!!!!! Or is it?

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Sainsbugs

SubjectAuthor
* SainsbugsRosie Mitchell
+* Re: SainsbugsJ. P. Gilliver
|+* Re: SainsbugsVicky
||`- Re: SainsbugsVicky
|`* Re: SainsbugsPenny
| +- Re: SainsbugsSam Plusnet
| +* Re: SainsbugsSerena Blanchflower
| |`* Re: SainsbugsBrritSki
| | `* Re: SainsbugsSam Plusnet
| |  `* Re: SainsbugsSerena Blanchflower
| |   `- Re: Sainsbugskosmo
| `* Re: SainsbugsChris
|  `* Re: SainsbugsJ. P. Gilliver
|   `* Re: SainsbugsWenlock
|    +- Re: SainsbugsSam Plusnet
|    +- Re: SainsbugsJ. P. Gilliver
|    `- Re: Sainsbugskosmo
+* Re: SainsbugsNick Odell
|+* Re: SainsbugsPenny
||+- Re: SainsbugsSam Plusnet
||`* Re: SainsbugsNick Odell
|| `* Re: SainsbugsBen Blaney
||  `* Re: SainsbugsNick Odell
||   `* Re: SainsbugsVicky
||    `* Re: SainsbugsJ. P. Gilliver
||     `* Re: SainsbugsJenny M Benson
||      `- Re: SainsbugsJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: SainsbugsHellerat
| `- Re: SainsbugsVicky
+* Re: SainsbugsSteve Hague
|`- Re: SainsbugsVicky
`- Re: SainsbugsSerena Blanchflower

Pages:12
Sainsbugs

<8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20965&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20965

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Sainsbugs
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000
sha1:7UriVK3fHYASHnz4BwiQtZL9NjQ=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20 UTC

I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.

Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
completely to pot?

Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
in 1984 to take on supplies.

Rosie

Re: Sainsbugs

<LeM8VsgLAGrlFwWV@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20967&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20967

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Sainsbugs
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06 UTC

In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>
>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>completely to pot?
>
>Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>in 1984 to take on supplies.
>
>Rosie

Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
aren't.

I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)

I know people who worry more about the health consequences of drinking a coffee
at breakfast than a bottle of urine at dinner
- Revd Richard Cole, RT 2021/7/3-9

Re: Sainsbugs

<0dppqildj5gvafnbhu2tt3p4o0p62j4ns6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20973&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20973

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:44:28 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:44 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>
>>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>completely to pot?
>>
>>Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>>Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>>Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>>in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>
>>Rosie
>
>Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
>think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
>aren't.
>
>I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
>well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
>Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)

Oour nearest is 5 mins walk, and a huge Asda is 8 mins. Asda is
cheaper on lots and more choices, Sainsburys nicer to shop at and some
things better and seems classier. Regular delivery is from Tesco. Asda
cheaper. Ready meals better at Sainsburys. We used to alternate
delivery Morrisons/Tesco but M annoyed me;Forget how.

S has just put in 14 fast charge electric stations and a Greggs cafe
has been put in part of its area too, and has a tim Hortons in the
carpark so seems a nice place to shop. Asda has 2 slow electric charge
places and costa,McD and other outlets in the hub, hairdresser,
dentist etc.

Re: Sainsbugs

<gh0qqidofqntvkt9qvhb080jsr8e7attob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20978&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20978

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:40:19 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:40 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:44:28 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>>20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>>completely to pot?
>
> Oour nearest is 5 mins walk, and a huge Asda is 8 mins. Asda is
>cheaper on lots and more choices, Sainsburys nicer to shop at and some
>things better and seems classier. Regular delivery is from Tesco. Asda
>cheaper. Ready meals better at Sainsburys. We used to alternate
>delivery Morrisons/Tesco but M annoyed me;Forget how.
>
> S has just put in 14 fast charge electric stations and a Greggs cafe
>has been put in part of its area too, and has a tim Hortons in the
>carpark so seems a nice place to shop. Asda has 2 slow electric charge
>places and costa,McD and other outlets in the hub, hairdresser,
>dentist etc.

Oh the S has an Argos outlet and Habitat items on its shelves too.

Re: Sainsbugs

<tkbqqihtkgiml4seisd8r5030vlqro6j16@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20987&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20987

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:52:08 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:52 UTC

On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
<rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>
>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>completely to pot?
<snip>

If by many years you mean summer, 1969 then I'd say yes, you are
right. I first entered their hallowed halls of shopping in, I think,
summer 1969 in, I think, Bromley in Kent and it was an awe-inspiring
experience. I haven't felt that way about Sainsbury's for at least the
past forty years, though.

Nick

Re: Sainsbugs

<r0fqqiph4l40ro1dvaqb078nhnn27r7s9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20990&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20990

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:55:30 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:55 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>
>>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>completely to pot?
>>
>>Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>>Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>>Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>>in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>
>>Rosie
>
>Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
>think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
>aren't.
>
>I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
>well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
>Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)

I always used Sainsbugs in my yoof. Didn't like the horribly claustrophobic
Tesco with its narrow aisles and very high shelves, so you couldn't see
across, or out of the store. Stores have changed since then.

I was always surprised when people suggested Waitrose was more expensive.
It was the last to stick bar codes on everything, so the price was
displayed on every product. I used to shop there when I worked at Safeway
HQ (Southern Britain Zone), near Maidstone, and much of the things I
normally bought were cheaper in Waitrose.

No idea where the nearest Waitrose store is from home, I don't think
they've ventured into Wales. Last time I visited Sainsbugs (about 12 miles
away) its shelves were mostly full of vodka, but it was years ago now.

..
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Sainsbugs

<vmfqqihk8ah9292as72c2viq4bgjmtv87a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20991&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20991

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:01:24 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:01 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:52:08 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
scrawled in the dust...

>On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
><rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>
>>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>completely to pot?
><snip>
>
>If by many years you mean summer, 1969 then I'd say yes, you are
>right. I first entered their hallowed halls of shopping in, I think,
>summer 1969 in, I think, Bromley in Kent and it was an awe-inspiring
>experience. I haven't felt that way about Sainsbury's for at least the
>past forty years, though.

Hmm, 1969? That may have been when I accompanied my mother on a WI coach
trip to visit the newly opened, two-storey, Sainsbugs in The High, Harlow.
I recall being less than impressed by acres of shelves stocked with
identical items.

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Sainsbugs

<l152jcF3dnoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20993&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20993

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:29:15 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:29 UTC

On 20/01/2024 20:20, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>
> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
> completely to pot?
>
> Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
> Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
> Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
> in 1984 to take on supplies.
>
> Rosie

Our nearest Sainsbury is ten miles away and can only be reached by a
seriously competent driver on a good day, and the nearest Waitrose is a
couple of miles further away, not that I intend to visit it. We have
Aldi and Tesco within walking distance, Morrison's and Lidl a five
minute drive away. We are not supermarket snobs, and won't be unless
Waitrose build a shop near us. Hardly likely when you live in Redruth.
Steve

Re: Sainsbugs

<4cmqqi16m1pk9sfrbcrgkjrqarlgpon4eo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20997&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20997

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:52:13 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:52 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:29:15 +0000, Steve Hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 20/01/2024 20:20, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>
>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>> completely to pot?
>>
>> Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>> Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>> Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>> in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>
>> Rosie
>
>Our nearest Sainsbury is ten miles away and can only be reached by a
>seriously competent driver on a good day, and the nearest Waitrose is a
>couple of miles further away, not that I intend to visit it. We have
>Aldi and Tesco within walking distance, Morrison's and Lidl a five
>minute drive away. We are not supermarket snobs, and won't be unless
>Waitrose build a shop near us. Hardly likely when you live in Redruth.
>Steve

We had a Shell garage with mini Waitrose on the 3rd side of the
roundabout of which S and A form 2 sides but they have been rebuilding
that since it all closed 2 years ago.

Re: Sainsbugs

<UDdrN.366859$83n7.209083@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20999&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20999

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:46:12 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:46 UTC

On 21-Jan-24 15:55, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>> 20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>> completely to pot?
>>>
>>> Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>>> Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>>> Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>>> in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>
>> Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
>> think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
>> aren't.
>>
>> I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
>> well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
>> Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)
>
> I always used Sainsbugs in my yoof. Didn't like the horribly claustrophobic
> Tesco with its narrow aisles and very high shelves, so you couldn't see
> across, or out of the store. Stores have changed since then.
>
> I was always surprised when people suggested Waitrose was more expensive.
> It was the last to stick bar codes on everything, so the price was
> displayed on every product. I used to shop there when I worked at Safeway
> HQ (Southern Britain Zone), near Maidstone, and much of the things I
> normally bought were cheaper in Waitrose.
>
> No idea where the nearest Waitrose store is from home, I don't think
> they've ventured into Wales.

They have in some parts.

Our nearest Waitrose is just this side of Abergavenny. Not a bad
journey over the Blorenge, if the weather's good.
I wouldn't try it today.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sainsbugs

<8HdrN.366860$83n7.243186@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21000&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21000

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:49:40 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

On 21-Jan-24 16:01, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:52:08 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
>> <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>> completely to pot?
>> <snip>
>>
>> If by many years you mean summer, 1969 then I'd say yes, you are
>> right. I first entered their hallowed halls of shopping in, I think,
>> summer 1969 in, I think, Bromley in Kent and it was an awe-inspiring
>> experience. I haven't felt that way about Sainsbury's for at least the
>> past forty years, though.
>
> Hmm, 1969? That may have been when I accompanied my mother on a WI coach
> trip to visit the newly opened, two-storey, Sainsbugs in The High, Harlow.
> I recall being less than impressed by acres of shelves stocked with
> identical items.

Two years after that, my girlfriend[1] and a friend were comparing
notes, and mentioned "Sainsbury's". I wondered what on earth they were
talking about.

[1] Reader, I married her.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sainsbugs

<uok33h$4hqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21006&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21006

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:42:08 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:42 UTC

On 20/01/2024 20:20, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
> completely to pot?

I rarely use Sainsbury's but when I recently placed an order with them,
I found their range pretty uninspiring.

--
Best wishes, Serena
All people smile in the same language.

Re: Sainsbugs

<uok44h$4hqp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21007&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21007

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:59:45 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:59 UTC

On 21/01/2024 15:55, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>> 20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>> completely to pot?
>>>
>>> Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>>> Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>>> Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>>> in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>
>> Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
>> think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
>> aren't.
>>
>> I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
>> well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
>> Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)

I rarely buy from Sainsbury's because for the kind of things I buy, at
any rate, they seem to be significantly more expensive than Tesco, with
no marked difference in either quality or the range of goods they stock.
Ocado and Waitrose, while being noticeably more expensive again, stock
a lot of more up-market goodies, which neither Tesco nor Sainsbury have.

As a result, I mostly order from Tesco, with intermittent Ocado orders
to get the good stuff.

> I always used Sainsbugs in my yoof. Didn't like the horribly claustrophobic
> Tesco with its narrow aisles and very high shelves, so you couldn't see
> across, or out of the store. Stores have changed since then.

In a previous lifetime, when I used to go shopping in person, I'd have
patches of several months using one and then, for whatever reason, would
switch to using the other. I've never been good at remembering the
prices of individual items but I could generally estimate the price of
my trolley pretty accurately. Whenever I switched to using Sainsbury,
after a period of using Tesco, my estimate would be around a fiver short
(this was 30-40+ years ago, so it would be at least a tenner at today's
prices). When I switched the other way around, my estimate would be out
in the opposite direction.

> I was always surprised when people suggested Waitrose was more expensive.
> It was the last to stick bar codes on everything, so the price was
> displayed on every product. I used to shop there when I worked at Safeway
> HQ (Southern Britain Zone), near Maidstone, and much of the things I
> normally bought were cheaper in Waitrose.

I haven't done a proper comparison recently but, in the past, on a few
occasions, I've set up near identical online orders in Tesco, Sainsbury,
Ocado and, possibly Waitrose. For the things I buy, Ocado and Waitrose
were always very significantly more expensive than either Tesco or
Waitrose - and that was before adding any of the more up-market, treat,
products to my order. I clearly didn't buy enough of the goods they
boasted were price-matched, and the products I wanted seemed to be the
ones where they were using to restore their margins.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and

Re: Sainsbugs

<v25rqi9urdjblc8jqdngqeommbv7j6oosd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21008&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21008

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:08:14 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:08 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:01:24 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:52:08 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
>><rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>>Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>>completely to pot?
>><snip>
>>
>>If by many years you mean summer, 1969 then I'd say yes, you are
>>right. I first entered their hallowed halls of shopping in, I think,
>>summer 1969 in, I think, Bromley in Kent and it was an awe-inspiring
>>experience. I haven't felt that way about Sainsbury's for at least the
>>past forty years, though.
>
>Hmm, 1969? That may have been when I accompanied my mother on a WI coach
>trip to visit the newly opened, two-storey, Sainsbugs in The High, Harlow.
>I recall being less than impressed by acres of shelves stocked with
>identical items.

Acres of shelves? After years of shopping in places like Somerfields,
Gateway, International Stores and the Co-op, the first time I saw a
really big store with acres of shelves was when Tesco opened a
superstore in Pitsea in Essex. I was working in Basildon at the time
and would often meet the latex there after work and we would do our
monthly shop. Bleak, ugly place it was. More like a cash and carry and
was constructed in Jack Cohen's "Pile it high and sell it cheap" era,
I think. I have no idea if it still exists and if it does whether it
would look remarkable to today's standards.

Nick

Re: Sainsbugs

<l16q3lFd8bnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21017&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21017

From: Hellerat@mail.com (Hellerat)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:16:58 +0200
 by: Hellerat - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:16 UTC

On 21/01/2024 16:52, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:20:32 +0000, Rosie Mitchell
> <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>
>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>> completely to pot?
> <snip>
>
> If by many years you mean summer, 1969 then I'd say yes, you are
> right. I first entered their hallowed halls of shopping in, I think,
> summer 1969 in, I think, Bromley in Kent and it was an awe-inspiring
> experience. I haven't felt that way about Sainsbury's for at least the
> past forty years, though.

My first Sainsbury experience must have been around June, 1963, in Suburbiton, amixture of
self-service and counters. The cheese counter was amazing to me then, I remember my mother
buying a slice of Brie cut from a huge wheel. Then we went to buy fresh fish from the Mac
Fisheries a few doors down. Last time I was in a Sainsbury was last November in Cheadle,
it was huge and I don't remember seeing any fresh food counters but wasn't looking for
them, I suppose. I got some good herbs and spices I can't find in Cyprus or Greece, and,
of course, Marmite. G enjoyed the Melton Mowbray pork pie he had a craving for, too!

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

Re: Sainsbugs

<uoldk4$m4fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21020&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21020

From: benblaney@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:47:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Blaney - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:47 UTC

On Jan 21, 2024 at 5:08:14 PM EST, "Nick Odell" <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Acres of shelves? After years of shopping in places like Somerfields,
> Gateway, International Stores and the Co-op, the first time I saw a
> really big store with acres of shelves was when Tesco opened a
> superstore in Pitsea in Essex. I was working in Basildon at the time
> and would often meet the latex there after work and we would do our
> monthly shop. Bleak, ugly place it was. More like a cash and carry and
> was constructed in Jack Cohen's "Pile it high and sell it cheap" era,
> I think. I have no idea if it still exists and if it does whether it
> would look remarkable to today's standards.

It does! It was my local store when I lived locally, and in fact is still my
parents' default shopping location.

Interestingly, that store over the years has become Tesco's "test" case for
many new features. So it's now often the most up-to-date store with many
innovative features.

Re: Sainsbugs

<aefsqidt92rocd4qliatgl1k8ae40u4mfq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21023&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21023

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:07:33 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:07 UTC

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:16:58 +0200, Hellerat <Hellerat@mail.com>
wrote:

>On 21/01/2024 16:52, Nick Odell wrote:
>>

>My first Sainsbury experience must have been around June, 1963, in Suburbiton, amixture of
>self-service and counters. The cheese counter was amazing to me then, I remember my mother
>buying a slice of Brie cut from a huge wheel. Then we went to buy fresh fish from the Mac
>Fisheries a few doors down. Last time I was in a Sainsbury was last November in Cheadle,
>it was huge and I don't remember seeing any fresh food counters but wasn't looking for
>them, I suppose. I got some good herbs and spices I can't find in Cyprus or Greece, and,
>of course, Marmite. G enjoyed the Melton Mowbray pork pie he had a craving for, too!

Our middle-size S has a cake counter but no more fresh cheese and
wurst one. The chemist, latterly Lloyds, has gone now too and the
postbox went but Asda has chemist and postbox.

Re: Sainsbugs

<l16t8aF5av5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21024&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21024

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:10:17 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:10 UTC

On 21/01/2024 21:59, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

>  Ocado and Waitrose, while being noticeably more expensive again, stock
> a lot of more up-market goodies, which neither Tesco nor Sainsbury have.

> ...   For the things I buy, Ocado and Waitrose
> were always very significantly more expensive than either Tesco
YAmeAICM5BOGOFs

Re: Sainsbugs

<uoo1o8$17j29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21035&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21035

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 09:43:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:angIcsLi7HxON/Fm2ktOfJ/D5Ig=
 by: Chris - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 09:43 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 00:06:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> In message <8734urrc33.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> at Sat, 20 Jan 2024
>> 20:20:32, Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> writes
>>> I hadn't been into a Sainsbugs for many years but I went into one today.
>>>
>>> Is it just my imagination or is the once-upmarket Sainsbugs has gone
>>> completely to pot?
>>>
>>> Much as Morrisons has although I have much less historical memory of
>>> Morrisons, in fact until it went national in 2005 (was it?) by buying up
>>> Safeway properties my only experience of it was stopping at one in Ripon
>>> in 1984 to take on supplies.
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>
>> Hard to say - but they've had a TV ad or two where they think people
>> think they are pricey, and of course are trying to convince us they
>> aren't.
>>
>> I've tended to think of them sort of top of the middle tranche - but
>> well below Waitrose. (Then there's the crack about toffs liking
>> Sainsburys, because it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)
>
> I always used Sainsbugs in my yoof. Didn't like the horribly claustrophobic
> Tesco with its narrow aisles and very high shelves, so you couldn't see
> across, or out of the store. Stores have changed since then.
>
> I was always surprised when people suggested Waitrose was more expensive.
> It was the last to stick bar codes on everything, so the price was
> displayed on every product. I used to shop there when I worked at Safeway
> HQ (Southern Britain Zone), near Maidstone, and much of the things I
> normally bought were cheaper in Waitrose.
>
> No idea where the nearest Waitrose store is from home, I don't think
> they've ventured into Wales. Last time I visited Sainsbugs (about 12 miles
> away) its shelves were mostly full of vodka, but it was years ago now.
>
> .

When I met McT I was working in that Lunnon. Nearest supermarket type
places: Edgware Rd M & S. No way! And a Safeway. But they were 5 mins by
Tube or ten mins walk each way. Never used buses. Didn’t use them. Three
days a week we an hr lunch, the other two were 40 mins. (So we never
worked Sat mornings).

His nearest supermarkets were (still are) W/rose and Iceland. There was a
Budgen and a Co-op in the 1970s too. The Co op was closed down and Lidl
rose in its place.

When I left that Lunnon I worked opposite Reding station. I had (still
have) one family sized Sainsbugs, M & S and there was a Tesco as well I
think. Tesco has long moved on to bigger and better, and some bright spark
thought it’d be fu to close the family sized Sainsbugs and replace it with
a branch aimed at the person in work rich in assets, time poor. The
“peasants” rose up in revolt, we’ve kept the family outlet. I think the
idea was more 21st century rabbit hutches in the sky would have been built,
their premises are part of the intended site. Stupidly, it won’t be
unusual for many, but if you’re dairy intolerant, you can’t buy free from
yoghurt in the family store any more, it’s gone to live with the every day
yoghurts in the ‘posh’ Sainsbugs at the other end of town. Grrr!

Mrs McT

Re: Sainsbugs

<YvIBJ0EP58rlFwXb@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21040&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21040

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:33:51 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:33 UTC

[]
When I started shopping for myself, which would have been about early
1980s, I thought of the supermarkets as:

Waitrose

Sainsburys/Tesco/ASDA/Morrisons

Netto

Netto was _really_ cheap, and often in the rougher part of town - had
security guards I think, and their fitments were made of the boxes stuff
came in, stacked. I think they might have been only in the north - and
have disappeared.

There were others - Safeway, Lawes, co-op, etc. - who were regional
and/or short-lived.

Of the middle tranche, I thought of Tesco as cheap-and-cheerful - but
not with any _negative_ connotation that term often implies. I thought
of ASDA as similar, but didn't have access to one. More recently, I've
thought of them as quite good value - perhaps mainly because of their
size; I don't think I've ever seen an ASDA other than huge. Morrisons I
rather liked more for their character than anything to do with range or
value - but initially they were northern only.

Then Lidl came along. I initially started visiting them because of their
non-grocery items, but bought groceries there as I was there anyway
(presumably that was the idea); it wasn't long before I found I was
spending more than half my grocery spend there, and now, I go there
first, then to one of the others - usually Sainsburys for geographical
reasons, but Tesco or ASDA sometimes - for the things I can't get at
Lidl. On the whole, I'm happy with the quality of Lidl's groceries, and
they're definitely cheaper. I was hardly ever a brand-name shopper -
before Lidl came along, I mostly bought own-brand. (And, where I could
find it, budget range; I was convinced that the "premium" ones are
mostly identical other than they use more black ink in the packaging.
Oh, and I don't think I've ever bought slimming, calorie-counted, etc.
products - IMO, you just pay more for that [and sometimes for less, i.
e. the product has a higher percentage of water or whatever!].)

Aldi I think of as similar to Lidl - though I do feel they have slightly
different characters (though if you asked me for details, I couldn't
answer; thinking now, I think they tend to be _slightly_ bigger). Lidl
by default for geographical reasons.

Other than choice range, I rate Aldi/Lidl quality-wise same as the
middle range above - maybe a _smidgin_ lower, but not usually enough to
notice - and noticeably cheaper.

Oh, the other reason I went to Lidl initially was they had some things
(groceries I mean, not "middle") I _couldn't_ get elsewhere, especially
German things I remembered from childhood.

Waitrose - I admit, I've only been to one branch, about twice or thrice
in quite a few years - I've been _un_impressed with: didn't have a lot
of what I wanted, and _significantly_ more expensive. I was willing to
make allowances, but didn't actually feel it was a nicer _experience_ -
not just to justify the expense, but at all.

(M&S I've never food-shopped at - mainly I think for geographic reasons,
but also I tend to think of them as for posh stuff [and I think of them
as good for that].)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too
dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Re: Sainsbugs

<uootsn$1cj4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21043&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21043

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:43:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lY2lne37Dlksq9n9/L7K8XMASdQ=
 by: Wenlock - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:43 UTC

> [...]
> by default for geographical reasons.
>
> Other than choice range, I rate Aldi/Lidl quality-wise same as the
> middle range above - maybe a _smidgin_ lower, but not usually enough to
> notice - and noticeably cheaper.
>
> Oh, the other reason I went to Lidl initially was they had some things
> (groceries I mean, not "middle") I _couldn't_ get elsewhere, especially
> German things I remembered from childhood.
>
> Waitrose - I admit, I've only been to one branch, about twice or thrice
> in quite a few years - I've been _un_impressed with: didn't have a lot
> of what I wanted, and _significantly_ more expensive. I was willing to
> make allowances, but didn't actually feel it was a nicer _experience_ -
> not just to justify the expense, but at all.
>
> (M&S I've never food-shopped at - mainly I think for geographic reasons,
> but also I tend to think of them as for posh stuff [and I think of them

I realise that I took a longish absence from UMRA but surely things have
not changed so much over that period that individual supermarkets may be
freely mentioned without any indication of their chirality?

Re: Sainsbugs

<SeTrN.25080$7uxe.679@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21045&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21045

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:06:41 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:06 UTC

On 23-Jan-24 17:43, Wenlock wrote:

> I realise that I took a longish absence from UMRA but surely things have
> not changed so much over that period that individual supermarkets may be
> freely mentioned without any indication of their chirality?

'Tis a sad decline.
I blame them widdershins folk.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Sainsbugs

<gOJfRcPJ7$rlFwiq@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21046&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21046

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:00:41 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:00 UTC

In message <uootsn$1cj4h$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:43:51,
Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> []
>> When I started shopping for myself, which would have been about early
>> 1980s, I thought of the supermarkets as:
[]
>I realise that I took a longish absence from UMRA but surely things have
>not changed so much over that period that individual supermarkets may be
>freely mentioned without any indication of their chirality?

I was thinking of them as brands, not individual stores: I was
originally near Chelmsdorf, and can't remember those for sure. The first
Morrisons I remember was the Byker, Newcastle one (clockwise). Ashford
area: Waitrose can't remember; Lidl clockwise; ASDA anti; Sains c; Aldi
a; Tesco a (main one - can't remember the other one). No Morrisons -
nearest are Folkestone (a) and Canterbury (can't).

I use science as my model here. We will crawl toward the truth without ever
knowing if we are all the way there. - Scott Adams, 2015-3-20

Re: Sainsbugs

<lda0rilbse5965urs9at327u020hn5mqfk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21048&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21048

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:04:52 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:04 UTC

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:47:48 -0000 (UTC), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>On Jan 21, 2024 at 5:08:14 PM EST, "Nick Odell" <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> Acres of shelves? After years of shopping in places like Somerfields,
>> Gateway, International Stores and the Co-op, the first time I saw a
>> really big store with acres of shelves was when Tesco opened a
>> superstore in Pitsea in Essex. I was working in Basildon at the time
>> and would often meet the latex there after work and we would do our
>> monthly shop. Bleak, ugly place it was. More like a cash and carry and
>> was constructed in Jack Cohen's "Pile it high and sell it cheap" era,
>> I think. I have no idea if it still exists and if it does whether it
>> would look remarkable to today's standards.
>
>It does! It was my local store when I lived locally, and in fact is still my
>parents' default shopping location.
>
>Interestingly, that store over the years has become Tesco's "test" case for
>many new features. So it's now often the most up-to-date store with many
>innovative features.

Now I've come over all nostalgic.
But like they say, nostalgia's not what it used to be.

Nick

Re: Sainsbugs

<83o0ridici550o9hnng5vgfb8j4of8c028@4ax.com>

  copy mid