From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: The Apple House
Date: 26 Feb 2024 10:59:01 GMT
 by: TimS - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:59 UTC

I recently upgraded my house to Sonoma (my house had been running Catalina up
until then). I didn't realise it at the time, but this resulted in the side
door and the conservatory doors automatically being deleted, and the only way
in/out of the house was then the front door. The windows all remained, but
perhaps they are implicit instances.

The stairs had also gone, as had all the doors normally visible on entry.
Where the stairs were was now a room labelled "Settings". I went in there,
eventually to find one of those long clothes racks you see in department
stores, only instead of a rack of as it might be suits or dresses, *that* was
where all my doors were, hung up each on a hanger. A door needed enabling
before it could be used, with a large panel that I eventually found entitled
"Door Enablers". Having enabled a door, it was possible to go through it and
find oneself in the apprpriate room. Exiting the room took one back to the
Settings Room. I also observed that the doors rack included appliance doors
where such exist, such as dishwasher, oven, etc.

There was a large panel entitled "Appliance Power". The on/off switch for all
house appliances (*not* the switch at the wall socket, but that previously on
the appliance itself) were to be found here. Not too far from there was
another panel with the soap fixtures, such as the slidey clickey thing you put
the dishwasher tab in, the tray where you pour the washing machine soap into,
and the soap bars or bottles from all the sinks in the kitchen, utility room,
toilets and bashrooms with their baths and showers. All here on the one panel,
with their trays if needed for such as a bar of soap.

To run the washing machine, then, required that I power it on at the appliance
power panel, then go to the doors rack and find the washing machine door
amongst all the others, open it and put in the (aggh!, the dirty washing, so a
number of side trips to the various rooms (via the doors rack) to collect it)
dirty washing. Then off to the Soaps and Related Items panel to add the
detergent. After some hunting around, I found the Washing Machine - Misc
Controls panel, where I could set the spin rate (but only after pressing the
Advanced... button and entering my house password).

I thought that was it, but after visiting the Utility Room (via the doors
rack, again), the washine machine appeared to be a featureless cube, and was
inactive. So, back to the Settings Room, where after some thought it occurred
to me that I hadn't set the wash duration. More thought and searching led me
to a Timers Panel in an obscure corner of the Settings Room. On it were the
timer settings for all the house appliances, such as cooker, washing machine,
dishwasher, alarm clocks and so on. Finding the Washing Machine Timer I could
then set an appropriate value (I think - by then I'd forgotten what it was I
was washing).

The washing machine was still inactive, but another panel had Appliance Start
Buttons on it so after that, I could see that the washine machine was running.

I'm minded to wonder how this is supposed to work for those actually taking
baths or showers. Do they have to continually visit the Settings Room to get a
bit more soap? I must say I'm not convinced by all this, and I'm seriously
considering downgrading the house to Monterey.
--
Tim

Re: The Apple House

<e0be8656-0292-4e33-a91c-5994514dc1d2@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20997&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20997

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: The Apple House
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:26:38 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:26 UTC

On 26/02/2024 10:59, TimS wrote:
> I recently upgraded my house to Sonoma (my house had been running
> Catalina up

I think it's well known that HouseOS has been re-designed to reflect
Bachelor PadOS.

;-)
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: The Apple House

<l43bteF47eqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20998&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20998

From: bdb@nomail.afraid.org (David B.)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 26 Feb 2024 11:44:46 GMT
 by: David B. - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:44 UTC

On 26 Feb 2024 at 10:59:01 GMT, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm seriously
> considering downgrading the house to Monterey.

Sadly, Tim, you cannot do so!

Sorry.

Re: The Apple House

<lABhxUahEEqZODJWaYjKhvCRoUwygfJL@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20999&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20999

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: me@odtaa.com.invalid (Michael Phillips)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 24 17:55:24 UTC
 by: Michael Phillips - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

On 26 Feb 2024 at 11:26:38 GMT, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com>
wrote:

> On 26/02/2024 10:59, TimS wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my house to Sonoma (my house had been running
>> Catalina up
>
> I think it's well known that HouseOS has been re-designed to reflect
> Bachelor PadOS.
>
> ;-)

It's very annoying. Launchbar indexes only some of the System Settings
and the developer says: "In macOS Ventura, Apple has completely changed
the way how setting panes are represented in the system. The previous
prefPane bundles in /System/Library are now only empty stubs to provide
at least some sort of backwards compatibility.
For a clean solution we’ll have to completely rewrite the handling of
System Settings in LaunchBar."

--
mhphillips at gmail dot com

Re: The Apple House

<rtFHwwlpIrVvqyLsHtrWgpGazUFsZXSN@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21000&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21000

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 24 18:01:13 UTC
From: me@odtaa.com.invalid (Michael Phillips)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: Michael Phillips - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:01 UTC

On 26 Feb 2024 at 17:55:24 GMT, I wrote:

> It's very annoying.

And there's probably worse to come:

"In today’s edition of Bloomberg’s Power On newsletter, Mark Gurman
reports that Apple is working on redesigning iOS and macOS.
It sounds less drastic than the visual changes seen in the iOS 6 to iOS
7 transition, though. He writes “the company is indeed working to update
the design of iOS as early as this year, but I don’t believe it will be
a total overhaul that mirrors visionOS”. While Gurman says we can expect
to see changes in iOS 18 this summer, the work on macOS has only just
started and won’t be ready until 2025 or 2026." (9to5Mac)

--
mhphillips at gmail dot com