It's amazing how nice people are to you when they know you're going away. -- Michael Arlen

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / New iPad won't access Home Sharing

SubjectAuthor
* New iPad won't access Home SharingSara Merriman
`* Re: New iPad won't access Home SharingGraham J
 `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED (was: New iPad won't access Home Sara Merriman
  `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED (was: New iPad won't access Home Ant
   `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDSara Merriman
    `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDDgb
     `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDSara Merriman
      +* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDSara Merriman
      |+* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDGraham J
      ||`* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDSara Merriman
      || `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDGraham J
      ||  +- Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDBruce Horrocks
      ||  `- Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDChris
      |`- Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDDgb
      `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDAlan B
       `* Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDSara Merriman
        `- Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXEDDgb

1
New iPad won't access Home Sharing

<kPCDN.547612$mUo.541961@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21012&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21012

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: New iPad won't access Home Sharing
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:13:52 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:13 UTC

I've just bought an iPad (9th generation). Everything has transferred from my
ancient iPad Air except one.

I have a machine that I use to hold old movies. I access them only at home via
Home Sharing.

The new iPad can the machine holding the movies, but when I tru to access
them, I get a message saying 'Failed to connect. Please check your betwork and
try again.'

I have checked that I am on the correct network. Eveything else can still
connect and play the files.

Any idea what I'm missing?
--
Spike is a sturdy birdy

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing

<urnb55$3t1hi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21020&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21020

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 13:06:40 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 13:06 UTC

Sara Merriman wrote:
> I've just bought an iPad (9th generation). Everything has transferred from my
> ancient iPad Air except one.
>
> I have a machine that I use to hold old movies. I access them only at home via
> Home Sharing.
>
> The new iPad can the machine holding the movies, but when I tru to access
> them, I get a message saying 'Failed to connect. Please check your betwork and
> try again.'
>
> I have checked that I am on the correct network. Eveything else can still
> connect and play the files.
>
> Any idea what I'm missing?

Can the new iPad ping the machine holding the movies? By Name? By IP
address?

--
Graham J

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED (was: New iPad won't access Home Sharing)

<YCHDN.1523738$Rz3a.127899@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21022&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21022

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED (was: New iPad won't access Home Sharing)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:42:00 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:42 UTC

On 28 Feb 2024 at 13:06:40 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Sara Merriman wrote:
>> I've just bought an iPad (9th generation). Everything has transferred from my
>> ancient iPad Air except one.
>>
>> I have a machine that I use to hold old movies. I access them only at home via
>> Home Sharing.
>>
>> The new iPad can the machine holding the movies, but when I tru to access
>> them, I get a message saying 'Failed to connect. Please check your betwork and
>> try again.'
>>
>> I have checked that I am on the correct network. Eveything else can still
>> connect and play the files.
>>
>> Any idea what I'm missing?
>>

> Can the new iPad ping the machine holding the movies? By Name? By IP
> address?

Yes and it could see it in the app, just would show the content. Fixed now
though, there was an extra security setting blocking it.

Only too 2 hours and 3 different Apple techs to sort it.
--
Billy is silly

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED (was: New iPad won't access Home Sharing)

<sF-dnZNjzsmUDUL4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21023&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21023

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:56:57 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 19:56 UTC

Sara Merriman <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2024 at 13:06:40 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> > Sara Merriman wrote:
> >> I've just bought an iPad (9th generation). Everything has transferred from my
> >> ancient iPad Air except one.
> >>
> >> I have a machine that I use to hold old movies. I access them only at home via
> >> Home Sharing.
> >>
> >> The new iPad can the machine holding the movies, but when I tru to access
> >> them, I get a message saying 'Failed to connect. Please check your betwork and
> >> try again.'
> >>
> >> I have checked that I am on the correct network. Eveything else can still
> >> connect and play the files.
> >>
> >> Any idea what I'm missing?
> >>

> > Can the new iPad ping the machine holding the movies? By Name? By IP
> > address?

> Yes and it could see it in the app, just would show the content. Fixed now
> though, there was an extra security setting blocking it.

Which extra security setting?

> Only too 2 hours and 3 different Apple techs to sort it.

Isn't that fun? [sighs] :(
--
"Where then are the gods you made for yourselves? Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble! For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah." --Jeremiah 2:28. I'm forgetful & have a missing black glove. :(
| |o o| |

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<qqXDN.2139534$cgX9.1644749@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21026&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21026

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:40:54 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:40 UTC

On 28 Feb 2024 at 19:56:57 GMT, "Ant" <Ant> wrote:

> Sara Merriman <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> Can the new iPad ping the machine holding the movies? By Name? By IP
>>> address?
>
>> Yes and it could see it in the app, just would show the content. Fixed now
>> though, there was an extra security setting blocking it.
>
> Which extra security setting?
>

>> Only too 2 hours and 3 different Apple techs to sort it.
>
> Isn't that fun? [sighs] :(

Just called security.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<l4b0ohF9iltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21027&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21027

From: dgb@usenet.invalid (Dgb)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 29 Feb 2024 09:23:29 GMT
 by: Dgb - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:23 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 08:40:54 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2024 at 19:56:57 GMT, "Ant" <Ant> wrote:
>
>> Sara Merriman <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> Yes and it could see it in the app, just would show the content. Fixed now
>>> though, there was an extra security setting blocking it.
>>
>> Which extra security setting?
>>

>>> Only too 2 hours and 3 different Apple techs to sort it.
>>
>> Isn't that fun? [sighs] :(
>
> Just called security.

Will you please be more specific?

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<4jZDN.1757972$eeq5.764374@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21032&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21032

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:49:36 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:49 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 09:23:29 GMT, "Dgb" <dgb@usenet.invalid> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2024 at 08:40:54 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> Which extra security setting?

>>> Isn't that fun? [sighs] :(
>>
>> Just called security.
>
> Will you please be more specific?

Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
in there were Apple TV and BBC.

Sorry.

--
.... most SF writers are small blokes; they spent a lot of time grubbing around on the floor for old SF mags, not stretching up to the top shelf for pornography ... As an aside Douglas Adams is quite tall ...
-- Terry Pratchett, Warwick Uni (10.11.94)

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<6uZDN.10923360$ee1.9115040@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21034&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21034

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:01:22 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:01 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 10:49:36 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2024 at 09:23:29 GMT, "Dgb" <dgb@usenet.invalid> wrote:

>>> Just called security.
>>
>> Will you please be more specific?
>
> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>
> Sorry.

Found it! Main settings page Privacy & Security, then on the right Local
Network.

--
Billy is silly

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<urppfm$g8ss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21035&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21035

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:23:26 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:23 UTC

Sara Merriman wrote:

[snip]

>> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
>> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
>> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>>
>> Sorry.
>
> Found it! Main settings page Privacy & Security, then on the right Local
> Network.

For those of us who might have to face the same problem in the future,
please tell us what change you made in the Local Network page. Thanks.

--
Graham J

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<urpr0s$ghin$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21036&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21036

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:49:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:49 UTC

On 2024-02-29, Sara Merriman <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2024 at 09:23:29 GMT, "Dgb" <dgb@usenet.invalid> wrote:

>>> Just called security.
>>
>> Will you please be more specific?
>
> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
> in there were Apple TV and BBC.

Don't tell him, Pike! Bah! Too late :( I guess you know who you just replied to?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<l4bjddFccjlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21038&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21038

From: dgb@usenet.invalid (Dgb)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 29 Feb 2024 14:41:49 GMT
 by: Dgb - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:41 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:01:22 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2024 at 10:49:36 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> Will you please be more specific?
>>
>> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
>> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
>> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>>
>> Sorry.
>
> Found it! Main settings page Privacy & Security, then on the right Local
> Network.

Thank you, Sara.

You may already know this ..... but it took me a while to notice when I first
started using an iPad.

In "Settings", left hand column, if you drag the column downwards, at the top
one reveals a search box, into which you can type a word of your choice to
'find' whatever you are searching for. It has saved me much time in the past!

Enjoy your new iPad! :-)

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<z%0EN.1231095$Cm1.562119@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21039&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21039

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:01:51 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:23:26 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Sara Merriman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
>>> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
>>> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>>>
>>> Sorry.
>>
>> Found it! Main settings page Privacy & Security, then on the right Local
>> Network.
>>

> For those of us who might have to face the same problem in the future,
> please tell us what change you made in the Local Network page. Thanks.

Switched the two apps from 'off' to 'on'
--
.... most SF writers are small blokes; they spent a lot of time grubbing around on the floor for old SF mags, not stretching up to the top shelf for pornography ... As an aside Douglas Adams is quite tall ...
-- Terry Pratchett, Warwick Uni (10.11.94)

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<N01EN.1231211$Cm1.903055@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21040&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21040

From: sara@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:03:09 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:03 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:49:48 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> On 2024-02-29, Sara Merriman <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> Will you please be more specific?
>>
>> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
>> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
>> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>
> Don't tell him, Pike! Bah! Too late :( I guess you know who you just replied
> to?

Ah bollocks!
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't
ask questions on Usenet where the answers won't be carefully tailored to avoid
tripping your hair-trigger insecurities." - D M Procida, UCSM

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<urqeqp$ngkc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21043&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21043

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:27:45 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:27 UTC

Sara Merriman wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:23:26 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Sara Merriman wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Found it! Main settings page Privacy & Security, then on the right Local
>>> Network.
>>>

>> For those of us who might have to face the same problem in the future,
>> please tell us what change you made in the Local Network page. Thanks.
>
> Switched the two apps from 'off' to 'on'

OK Thanks. Seems strange - if an app is installed on a computer surely
it would expect to have access to the LAN?

--
Graham J

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<l4bt7dFdrqrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21044&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21044

From: dgb@usenet.invalid (Dgb)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 29 Feb 2024 17:29:17 GMT
 by: Dgb - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:29 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 15:03:09 GMT, "Sara Merriman" <sara@sarlet.com> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:49:48 GMT, "Alan B" <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> Since you ask so nicely... actually no, can't find it again. I spent hours
>>> going in and out of things in settings and now I can't find it. The only items
>>> in there were Apple TV and BBC.
>>
>> Don't tell him, Pike! Bah! Too late :( I guess you know who you just replied
>> to?
>
> Ah bollocks!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255449581?sortBy=newest_first&page=1

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<4199a45b-3506-48e3-baa2-b06949f74dc5@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21052&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21052

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:26:57 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:26 UTC

On 29/02/2024 17:27, Graham J wrote:
> Sara Merriman wrote:
>> On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:23:26 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Sara Merriman wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> For those of us who might have to face the same problem in the future,
>>> please tell us what change you made in the Local Network page.  Thanks.
>>
>> Switched the two apps from 'off' to 'on'
>>

> OK Thanks.  Seems strange - if an app is installed on a computer surely
> it would expect to have access to the LAN?

The app might expect that but I might want to prevent it.

At one time you could trust developers that their apps did what they
said they did. Nowadays, what with vast imported libraries, poisoned
repositories and AI assisted code, who knows what an app does, least of
all the developer.

Being able to block LAN access (and camera and microphone and the rest)
that the app doesn't need to fulfil its stated purpose is a useful
security backstop.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: New iPad won't access Home Sharing - FIXED

<urtop6$1gcu5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21055&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21055

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 23:36:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:f2Pj8ciBJktN9iqvuvWAYvjiBEk=
 by: Chris - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 23:36 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Sara Merriman wrote:
>> On 29 Feb 2024 at 11:23:26 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Sara Merriman wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> For those of us who might have to face the same problem in the future,
>>> please tell us what change you made in the Local Network page. Thanks.
>>
>> Switched the two apps from 'off' to 'on'
>>

> OK Thanks. Seems strange - if an app is installed on a computer surely
> it would expect to have access to the LAN?

Maybe so, but nowadays these things are privileged and need to be manually
enabled.