From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: smart meters
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:23:28 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:23 UTC

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-12997659/My-smart-meter-charged-house-270-miles-away-devices-going-haywire.html

'My smart meter charged me for a house 270 miles away!': How devices
are going haywire.

In most cases, when households complain that their smart meters are no
longer working, their providers are not interested in fixing the
problem.

many of the smart meters already installed are not built to last,
resulting in an ‘accelerating rate of hardware failures’ (meters going
dumb).

data shows that smart meters are a constant source of complaints. It
told Money Mail that meter mix-ups are an issue it regularly
encounters — especially on new build estates.

suppliers’ fixation with hitting new installation targets set by
energy regulator Ofgem. Targets that, if missed, result in fines.

Late last year, six companies were fined a combined £10.8 million for
missing 2022 Ofgem targets.