When it comes to helping you, some people stop at nothing.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: That's a bit of a bugger

SubjectAuthor
* That's a bit of a buggerPipL
`* Re: That's a bit of a buggerColin Irvine
 `* Re: That's a bit of a buggerPipL
  +* Re: That's a bit of a buggerPipL
  |`* Re: That's a bit of a buggerjeremy
  | `* Re: That's a bit of a buggerPipL
  |  `- Re: That's a bit of a buggersweller
  `* Re: That's a bit of a buggerwessie
   `* Re: That's a bit of a buggerPipL
    `* Re: That's a bit of a buggersweller
     `* Re: That's a bit of a buggerwessie
      `* Re: That's a bit of a buggersweller
       `- Re: That's a bit of a buggerwessie

1
That's a bit of a bugger

<l7dapeFc99eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21033&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21033

From: pip@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: That's a bit of a bugger
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100
 by: PipL - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:15 UTC

I got a tax reminder for the Energica today, so thought I'd get it done.

The DVLA claims to have no record of an MOT, which I had done a few
weeks ago.

I don't have a reference number: I was told that they don't issue paper
certificates any more and it's all electronic. I'm not entirely happy
about that - I prefer to have things like reference numbers I can quote.

I'm hoping that it was just a mistake by the MOT station, but they've
been doing my bikes for years without problems, but I think this was the
first electric one they've done.

--

CHUMP #1 (CHarge Up Muppet)

Pip

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<3bt21jl4v87avoh0ueog75v9hduormacvf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21034&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21034

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: That's a bit of a bugger
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 17:17:48 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100, PipL <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote:

>I got a tax reminder for the Energica today, so thought I'd get it done.
>
>The DVLA claims to have no record of an MOT, which I had done a few
>weeks ago.
>
>I don't have a reference number: I was told that they don't issue paper
>certificates any more and it's all electronic. I'm not entirely happy
>about that - I prefer to have things like reference numbers I can quote.
>
>I'm hoping that it was just a mistake by the MOT station, but they've
>been doing my bikes for years without problems, but I think this was the
>first electric one they've done.

Mine gives me paper certificates. You can search the government MOT
site with your reg to see what that says - it might be different from
the DVLA.

--
Colin Irvine
R1250RS

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l7dbrfFcfv3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21035&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21035

From: pip@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:33:51 +0100
 by: PipL - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:33 UTC

On 06/04/2024 17:17, Colin Irvine wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100, PipL <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote:
>
>> I got a tax reminder for the Energica today, so thought I'd get it done.
>>
>> The DVLA claims to have no record of an MOT, which I had done a few
>> weeks ago.
>>
>> I don't have a reference number: I was told that they don't issue paper
>> certificates any more and it's all electronic. I'm not entirely happy
>> about that - I prefer to have things like reference numbers I can quote.
>>
>> I'm hoping that it was just a mistake by the MOT station, but they've
>> been doing my bikes for years without problems, but I think this was the
>> first electric one they've done.
>
> Mine gives me paper certificates. You can search the government MOT
> site with your reg to see what that says - it might be different from
> the DVLA.

I've found the reason by going to the MOT history page and downloading -
it failed! Rear brake pads. They didn't actually say that it had failed,
only that it was all electronic. Maybe only failures are done online.

First bike MOT failure in years and I'm a little surprised - I barely
use the rear brake, in fact, I don't use the brakes much at all.

Ho hum. Better get it fixed, I suppose.

--

CHUMP #1 (CHarge Up Muppet)

Pip

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l7ddjtFcfv3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21036&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21036

From: pip@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 18:03:57 +0100
 by: PipL - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:03 UTC

On 06/04/2024 17:33, PipL wrote:
> On 06/04/2024 17:17, Colin Irvine wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100, PipL <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote:
>>
>>> I got a tax reminder for the Energica today, so thought I'd get it done.
>>>
>>> The DVLA claims to have no record of an MOT, which I had done a few
>>> weeks ago.
>>>
>>> I don't have a reference number: I was told that they don't issue paper
>>> certificates any more and it's all electronic. I'm not entirely happy
>>> about that - I prefer to have things like reference numbers I can quote.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping that it was just a mistake by the MOT station, but they've
>>> been doing my bikes for years without problems, but I think this was the
>>> first electric one they've done.
>>
>> Mine gives me paper certificates. You can search the government MOT
>> site with your reg to see what that says - it might be different from
>> the DVLA.
>

> I've found the reason by going to the MOT history page and downloading -
> it failed! Rear brake pads. They didn't actually say that it had failed,
> only that it was all electronic. Maybe only failures are done online.
>
> First bike MOT failure in years and I'm a little surprised - I barely
> use the rear brake, in fact, I don't use the brakes much at all.
>
> Ho hum. Better get it fixed, I suppose.

[bad form etc.]

What I'm really peeved about is that I've been paying for this bike to
be serviced at English Electric Motorcycles where I bought it - I'd have
thought they would have at least drawn my attention to the pads running
low. I wasn't that impressed that they didn't change the front brake
fluid either, which is going a bit yellow. Don't think I'll be paying
for servicing it again.

--

CHUMP #1 (CHarge Up Muppet)

Pip

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<XnsB14CBC93A8010wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21037&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21037

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:32:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:32 UTC

PipL <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote in news:l7dbrfFcfv3U1@mid.individual.net:

> I've found the reason by going to the MOT history page and downloading
> - it failed! Rear brake pads. They didn't actually say that it had
> failed, only that it was all electronic. Maybe only failures are done
> online.

I find it quite baffling you were not given a failure report. Like Colin, I
have had paperwork for bikes and cars in recent months.

> First bike MOT failure in years and I'm a little surprised - I barely
> use the rear brake, in fact, I don't use the brakes much at all.

are the brakes linked?
> Ho hum. Better get it fixed, I suppose.

if not linked, are they binding, although that should have been detected at
the MOT

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l7dja8Fdfb9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21038&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21038

From: pip@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:41:12 +0100
 by: PipL - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 18:41 UTC

On 06/04/2024 18:32, wessie wrote:
> PipL <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote in news:l7dbrfFcfv3U1@mid.individual.net:
>

>> I've found the reason by going to the MOT history page and downloading
>> - it failed! Rear brake pads. They didn't actually say that it had
>> failed, only that it was all electronic. Maybe only failures are done
>> online.
>>

> I find it quite baffling you were not given a failure report. Like Colin, I
> have had paperwork for bikes and cars in recent months.
>
>> First bike MOT failure in years and I'm a little surprised - I barely
>> use the rear brake, in fact, I don't use the brakes much at all.
>>

> are the brakes linked?

I was going to just say "no", but on recent form, thought I'd better
check! There is plumbing from the rear brake forward, but it only goes
to the ABS unit. Applying the front brake does not affect the rear
wheel. I turned the "ignition" on and checked again - same. The manual
clearly states that the ABS treats the front and rear separately, too:
there is no linking action there.

>> Ho hum. Better get it fixed, I suppose.
>
> if not linked, are they binding, although that should have been detected at
> the MOT

Not binding that I've noticed. Whenever I've checked or cleaned the
chain, the wheel's spun reasonably freely, allowing for motor drag.

I can only think that they did say that it failed but I just didn't
hear, maybe expecting a pass.

--

CHUMP #1 (CHarge Up Muppet)

Pip

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l7ihl2F5rc7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21042&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21042

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 8 Apr 2024 15:43:30 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:43 UTC

On 6 Apr 2024 at 18:03:57 BST, "PipL" <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote:

> On 06/04/2024 17:33, PipL wrote:

>>> Mine gives me paper certificates. You can search the government MOT
>>> site with your reg to see what that says - it might be different from
>>> the DVLA.
>>

>> I've found the reason by going to the MOT history page and downloading -
>> it failed! Rear brake pads. They didn't actually say that it had failed,
>> only that it was all electronic. Maybe only failures are done online.
>>
>> First bike MOT failure in years and I'm a little surprised - I barely
>> use the rear brake, in fact, I don't use the brakes much at all.
>>
>> Ho hum. Better get it fixed, I suppose.
>
> [bad form etc.]
>
> What I'm really peeved about is that I've been paying for this bike to
> be serviced at English Electric Motorcycles where I bought it - I'd have
> thought they would have at least drawn my attention to the pads running
> low. I wasn't that impressed that they didn't change the front brake
> fluid either, which is going a bit yellow. Don't think I'll be paying
> for servicing it again.

Did they do the basics OK - like oil & filters?
--
jeremy

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l7isrsF7eutU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21043&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21043

From: pip@nowhere.nul (PipL)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:54:52 +0100
 by: PipL - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:54 UTC

On 08/04/2024 16:43, jeremy wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2024 at 18:03:57 BST, "PipL" <pip@nowhere.nul> wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/2024 17:33, PipL wrote:
>> What I'm really peeved about is that I've been paying for this bike to
>> be serviced at English Electric Motorcycles where I bought it - I'd have
>> thought they would have at least drawn my attention to the pads running
>> low. I wasn't that impressed that they didn't change the front brake
>> fluid either, which is going a bit yellow. Don't think I'll be paying
>> for servicing it again.
>
> Did they do the basics OK - like oil & filters?

Hard to tell - the gearbox has some sort of internal mesh filter I
think, and the oil just looks red in the window. There might be witness
marks or fresh gaskets on the sump or plugs, I guess.

--

CHUMP #1 (CHarge Up Muppet)

Pip

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l81ejoFdd5uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21101&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21101

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Apr 2024 07:23:36 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:23 UTC

PipL wrote:

> > > Don't think I'll be paying
> > > for servicing it again.
> >
> > Did they do the basics OK - like oil & filters?
>
> Hard to tell - the gearbox has some sort of internal mesh filter I
> think, and the oil just looks red in the window. There might be
> witness marks or fresh gaskets on the sump or plugs, I guess.

A very straight bat - I approve.

--
Simon

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l81f93Fdfv8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21102&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21102

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Apr 2024 07:34:59 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:34 UTC

PipL wrote:

> I can only think that they did say that it failed but I just didn't
> hear, maybe expecting a pass.

At the three places I've used for bikes and cars of late I've always
been given a printed A4 sheet with a pass or fail and any advisories.
Usually they staple the card receipt to it.

My experience may be limited as I haven't been for an MOT for nearly
two years. The SAAB was scrapped over a year ago, the Jag, VW,
Guzzi(s), MZ and Husqvarna don't need an MOT.

The BMW 1150 GS was taken off the road Christmas 2022 and put into
storage (in a heated and insulated shed with two MZs and a V50 Guzzi).
I sometimes whizz about on the MZ for old times sake.

On the subject of the BMW, that will be going up for sale in a month or
so - it will have a fresh MOT, lots of Touratech, including their
panniers. Anyone interested? Save me faffing about with eBay.

--
Simon

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<XnsB1545C18AE3BEwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21104&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21104

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:03:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:03 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:l81f93Fdfv8U1
@mid.individual.net:

> On the subject of the BMW, that will be going up for sale in a month or
> so - it will have a fresh MOT, lots of Touratech, including their
> panniers. Anyone interested? Save me faffing about with eBay.

pay �15 to subscribe to UKGSer. You then have access to the sellling &
buying section. An R1150GS will fly from there and no further fees to pay.
I have bought and sold loads of stuff there over the years, not only for
BMWs but accessories for other bikes and clothing.

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<l8ajdbFqlt4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21180&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21180

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 17 Apr 2024 18:40:43 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:40 UTC

wessie wrote:

> pay £15 to subscribe to UKGSer.

Good call.

Any idea what it might be worth? 2003 170,000 miles.

--
Simon

Re: That's a bit of a bugger

<XnsB157CB636BD7wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21181&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21181

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:59:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:59 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:l8ajdbFqlt4U1
@mid.individual.net:

> wessie wrote:
>
>> pay �15 to subscribe to UKGSer.
>
> Good call.
>
> Any idea what it might be worth? 2003 170,000 miles.

sorry, no

sold my R1150GS in 2011

should be some recent posts on there or just ask in the bike specific
section on there
https://www.ukgser.com/community/forums/850-1100-1150-oilheads.586/