Never argue with a woman when she's tired -- or rested.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Lighroom and Sonoma

SubjectAuthor
* Lighroom and SonomaTimS
+* Re: Lighroom and SonomaChris
|`- Re: Lighroom and SonomaTimS
+* Re: Lighroom and SonomaMartin-S
|`* Re: Lighroom and SonomaTimS
| +* Re: Lighroom and SonomaDavid Brooks
| |`- Re: Lighroom and SonomaDavid.B(ES)
| `- Re: Lighroom and SonomaMartin-S
`* Re: Lighroom and SonomaBernd Froehlich
 +* Re: Lighroom and SonomaDavid.B(ES)
 |`- Re: Lighroom and SonomaDavid Brooks
 `- Re: Lighroom and SonomaAlan B

1
Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5r2b2FlnvdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21232&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21232

From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Lighroom and Sonoma
Date: 18 Mar 2024 14:44:50 GMT
 by: TimS - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:44 UTC

Looks like Lighroom 5 is unstable under Sonoma. On SWMBO's M1 Mini, it now
crashes on opening, and on my intel Mini, it crashes on closing. Well, I
suppose it was bound to happen. We both now have Sonoma 14.4.We wanted to
stick with LR5 as it avoids teh subscription nonsense.

Anyone know what the most recent macOS version is that will run Lightroom? She
was using it under Big Sur, previously

I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
could do a lot with Photos.

Suggestions for other tools would be welcome. I'd like also to be able to
apply lens and aberration corrections.

--
Tim

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<uta2fc$aq9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21234&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21234

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Lighroom and Sonoma
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:51:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SgLIMZe4d0cv0Ci/XkkT4f17q4w=
 by: Chris - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

TimS <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
> Looks like Lighroom 5 is unstable under Sonoma. On SWMBO's M1 Mini, it now
> crashes on opening, and on my intel Mini, it crashes on closing. Well, I
> suppose it was bound to happen. We both now have Sonoma 14.4.We wanted to
> stick with LR5 as it avoids teh subscription nonsense.
>
> Anyone know what the most recent macOS version is that will run Lightroom? She
> was using it under Big Sur, previously
>
> I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
> her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
> Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
> Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
> Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
> could do a lot with Photos.

Haven't used Photos on macOS , but in ios there are quite a few image
editing options.

> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome. I'd like also to be able to
> apply lens and aberration corrections.

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5ri2aFo31qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21235&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21235

From: invalid@nomail.com (Martin-S)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 18 Mar 2024 19:13:14 GMT
 by: Martin-S - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:13 UTC

On 18 Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

> I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
> her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
> Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
> Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
> Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
> could do a lot with Photos.

Photos has come a long way and has been a sophisticated non-destructive editor
for some years that will handle RAW and just about all other formats LR does.

I have been using/teaching Lightroom myself since the early betas, but
whenever an Apple user asks me what they should get for their image editing
needs, I suggest they give Photos a try befor moving on to something more
complex.

Here's an article by Nik Bhatt – the guy behind Apple's Aperture and iPhoto –
explaining Photos internal workings and where his own RAW Power extension fits
in:
<https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/>

As a LR user I can honestly say that unless you need its advanced cataloguing
features or brushes, graduated filters and other sophisticated masking tools,
Apple Photos is all you need.

In fact I would say that some of its tools like shadow recovery and definition
work better than the equivalents in LR.

--
Martin

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5ri6jFo3jhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21236&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21236

From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 18 Mar 2024 19:15:31 GMT
 by: TimS - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:15 UTC

On 18 Mar 2024 at 18:51:24 GMT, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> TimS <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>> Looks like Lighroom 5 is unstable under Sonoma. On SWMBO's M1 Mini, it now
>> crashes on opening, and on my intel Mini, it crashes on closing. Well, I
>> suppose it was bound to happen. We both now have Sonoma 14.4.We wanted to
>> stick with LR5 as it avoids teh subscription nonsense.
>>
>> Anyone know what the most recent macOS version is that will run Lightroom? She
>> was using it under Big Sur, previously
>>
>> I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
>> her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
>> Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
>> Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
>> Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
>> could do a lot with Photos.
>
> Haven't used Photos on macOS , but in ios there are quite a few image
> editing options.
>
>> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome. I'd like also to be able to
>> apply lens and aberration corrections.

I did think of moving SWMBO's machine back to Monterey, which is what runs on
the file server here (can't go past that). LR5 seems to run OK on that. But it
seems that "downgrading" is forbidden (perhaps just on Apple Silicon?), but
maybe I can try and do a recovery install back to the Big Sur it came with,
and then move forward to Monterey.

--
Tim

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5ripsFo74tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21237&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21237

From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 18 Mar 2024 19:25:48 GMT
 by: TimS - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:25 UTC

On 18 Mar 2024 at 19:13:14 GMT, "Martin-S" <invalid@nomail.com> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
>> her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
>> Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
>> Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
>> Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
>> could do a lot with Photos.
>
> Photos has come a long way and has been a sophisticated non-destructive editor
> for some years that will handle RAW and just about all other formats LR does.
>
> I have been using/teaching Lightroom myself since the early betas, but
> whenever an Apple user asks me what they should get for their image editing
> needs, I suggest they give Photos a try befor moving on to something more
> complex.
>
> Here's an article by Nik Bhatt – the guy behind Apple's Aperture and iPhoto –
> explaining Photos internal workings and where his own RAW Power extension fits
> in:
> <https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/>
>
> As a LR user I can honestly say that unless you need its advanced cataloguing
> features or brushes, graduated filters and other sophisticated masking tools,
> Apple Photos is all you need.
>
> In fact I would say that some of its tools like shadow recovery and definition
> work better than the equivalents in LR.

Thanks for that - I've passed that on although it'll be a day or two before
she can spend any time on this again. When I use LR, I typically don't do too
much more than remove chromatic abberation and apply the lens correction. Does
Photos have these features?

--
Tim

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<65f896dd$0$4196$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21238&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21238

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:32:45 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:32 UTC

On 18/03/2024 19:25, TimS wrote:
> On 18 Mar 2024 at 19:13:14 GMT, "Martin-S" <invalid@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18 Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen Apple's Photos suggested, but SWMBO says she has been using that for
>>> her iPhone pix and has ended up with the impression that all one can do in
>>> Photos is catalogue images and view them, not do any useful editing (even
>>> Preview can do some simple image editing). Has she overlooked something in
>>> Photos? OTOH, I had the impression from various comments on forums that one
>>> could do a lot with Photos.
>>
>> Photos has come a long way and has been a sophisticated non-destructive editor
>> for some years that will handle RAW and just about all other formats LR does.
>>
>> I have been using/teaching Lightroom myself since the early betas, but
>> whenever an Apple user asks me what they should get for their image editing
>> needs, I suggest they give Photos a try befor moving on to something more
>> complex.
>>
>> Here's an article by Nik Bhatt – the guy behind Apple's Aperture and iPhoto –
>> explaining Photos internal workings and where his own RAW Power extension fits
>> in:
>> <https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/>
>>
>> As a LR user I can honestly say that unless you need its advanced cataloguing
>> features or brushes, graduated filters and other sophisticated masking tools,
>> Apple Photos is all you need.
>>
>> In fact I would say that some of its tools like shadow recovery and definition
>> work better than the equivalents in LR.
>
> Thanks for that - I've passed that on although it'll be a day or two before
> she can spend any time on this again. When I use LR, I typically don't do too
> much more than remove chromatic aberration and apply the lens correction. Does
> Photos have these features?

This might help you:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/welcome/mac

I agree with Martin-S

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<uta9oj$caf5$1@bdb.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21239&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21239

From: David@nomail.afraid.org (David.B(ES))
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 20:55:47 +0000
 by: David.B(ES) - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

On 18/03/2024 19:32, David Brooks wrote:
[....]
> This might help you:-
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/welcome/mac
>
> I agree with Martin-S

Excellent overview!

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5stnbFubm6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21240&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21240

From: befr@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Mar 2024 07:38:19 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 07:38 UTC

On 18. Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome.

Have a look at GraphicConverter.
<https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter>

AFAIK it can even use Adobe-Plugins.

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<utbga8$n7fn$1@bdb.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21241&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21241

From: David@nomail.afraid.org (David.B(ES))
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 07:53:43 +0000
 by: David.B(ES) - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 07:53 UTC

On 19/03/2024 07:38, Bernd Froehlich wrote:
> On 18. Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome.
>
> Have a look at GraphicConverter.
> <https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter>
>
> AFAIK it can even use Adobe-Plugins.

I hate it when such entities cannot operate a satisfactory Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/Lemkesoft/

NOR does it have many 'likes' or 'followers'!

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<65f94626$0$6401$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21242&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21242

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:00:38 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:00 UTC

On 19/03/2024 07:53, David.B(ES) wrote:
> On 19/03/2024 07:38, Bernd Froehlich wrote:
>> On 18. Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome.
>>
>> Have a look at GraphicConverter.
>> <https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter>
>>
>> AFAIK it can even use Adobe-Plugins.
>
> I hate it when such entities cannot operate a satisfactory Facebook page!
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Lemkesoft/
>
> NOR does it have many 'likes' or 'followers'!

Notwithstanding that, the product *IS* available from the Apple App
Store, here:-

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/graphicconverter-12/id1671632937?mt=12

(Note the current version - 12!)

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<utbhd6$nm3p$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21244&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21244

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:12:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:12 UTC

Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:
> On 18. Mar 2024 at 15:44:50 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Suggestions for other tools would be welcome.
>
> Have a look at GraphicConverter.
> <https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter>
>
> AFAIK it can even use Adobe-Plugins.

Yes I’ve used GC for many years. It might be worth looking at it might be
worth looking at Affinity too?

<https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Lighroom and Sonoma

<l5t9utF1ktiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21245&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21245

From: invalid@nomail.com (Martin-S)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Mar 2024 11:07:09 GMT
 by: Martin-S - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:07 UTC

On 18 Mar 2024 at 20:25:48 CET, "TimS" <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

> When I use LR, I typically don't do too
> much more than remove chromatic abberation and apply the lens correction. Does
> Photos have these features?

No.

I see that Nik has a newer app/Photos extension "Nitro" that does lens
corrections amongst many other advanced features found in LR:
<https://www.gentlemencoders.com/nitro-for-macos/index.html>

It fully integrates with Photos and the iCloud photo library.

Trial available on the app store

--
Martin