Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:14:48 +0000
Subject: Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 12:14 UTC

On 20/03/2024 23:40, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-03-20, OrangeFish <OrangeFish@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> All of our USB hubs, printers, and more are working just fine with
>>> multiple different model Macs running 14.4. What are we doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Rather than being a gullible rube who blindly believes every
>>> sensational clickbait hit piece you read, you may want to consider
>>> that the people who post these articles have a monetary interest in
>>> making relatively small issues appear to be larger and more wide
>>> spread than they actually are - because getting more clicks literally
>>> makes them more money.
>>
>> Ars Technica is fairly respectable. The author of the article states
>> that his machine was not affected but others are affected (with links
>> to Apple and reddit).
>
> I didn't claim there is no issue - just that media has an incentive to
> sensationalize it. Even Ars Technica wants more clicks, because it
> literally pays their bills. And it's a well-known fact that news about
> Apple gets clicks, and negative news about Apple gets the most clicks.
>
> BTW, the OP, Ant, posted about this with a frowny face - but I can
> virtually guarantee you he isn't having these problems on his own Macs.

Can you explain why the gurus on the Apple Support Communities forums
are absolutely adamant that there is no requirement for anti-malware
software on an Apple computer?

Kurt Lang
Kurt Lang
User level: Level 9
57,666 points
Aug 2, 2023 4:14 PM in response to eugene.davidson
The System folder of the OS (where all of these are located) is
completely and cryptographically locked down. There is no way for anyone
to compromise anything installed by the OS. And that includes everything
in the Applications and Utilities folders installed with the OS.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255038944?sortBy=newest_first&page=1

BUT .....

On the other hand, the poster there called 'etresoft' SUPPORTS the use
of the software available here:-

www.clamxav.com

Please advise.

--
David

Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update

<uthid2$28uob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21271&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21271

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4
update
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:06:09 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:06 UTC

On 21.03.24 13:14, David Brooks wrote:
> On 20/03/2024 23:40, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Ars Technica is fairly respectable. The author of the article states
>>> that his machine was not affected but others are affected (with links
>>> to Apple and reddit).
>>
>> I didn't claim there is no issue - just that media has an incentive to
>> sensationalize it. Even Ars Technica wants more clicks, because it
>> literally pays their bills. And it's a well-known fact that news about
>> Apple gets clicks, and negative news about Apple gets the most clicks.
>>
>> BTW, the OP, Ant, posted about this with a frowny face - but I can
>> virtually guarantee you he isn't having these problems on his own Macs.
>

> Can you explain why the gurus on the Apple Support Communities forums
> are absolutely adamant that there is no requirement for anti-malware
> software on an Apple computer?

You are totally OT. And now: *PLONK*

--
"Manus manum lavat."