Be braver -- you can't cross a chasm in two small jumps.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

SubjectAuthor
* How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?jbrennand
+- Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?David Brooks
+* Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?jbrennand
| `* Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|  `- Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?David Brooks
`* Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)jbrennand
 +- Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)David Brooks
 `* Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)jbrennand
  `- Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)David Brooks

1
How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<utk8rb$30ho3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21283&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21283

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:41:31 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:41 UTC

My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached the
point of renewal (getting very tatty!). I have several other similar
models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers and stuck it
in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a while and then
it turns off with a black screen. Will start up ok after a short wait
but will eventually crash out again. She runs "repair HD" from Disk
Utilty and gets the following error message....

"The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
with the EFI's partition file system"

Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
reinstall. So, a few questions...

Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?
Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
without having to erase it?
If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on the
HD in the "new" MBP?

Thanks for any input. JohnB

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<l65u84Fbkp3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21284&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21284

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:42:28 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:42 UTC

On 22/03/2024 15:41, jbrennand wrote:
> My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached the
> point of renewal (getting very tatty!).  I have several other similar
> models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers and stuck it
> in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a while and then
> it turns off with a black screen.  Will start up ok after a short wait
> but will eventually crash out again.  She runs "repair HD" from Disk
> Utilty and gets the following error message....

I'm wondering why you didn't simply give her one of your 'spare'
MacBooks to use!

She could have wiped it clean (erased the hard drive!) reinstalled mac
OS and then used Migration Assistant to move data from her old and tatty
machine on to the new, to her, laptop.

> "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
> with the EFI's partition file system"
>
> Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
> reinstall. So, a few questions...
>
> Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?

I cannot explain that. I'm sorry.

> Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
> without having to erase it?

No - not in my experience.

> If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
> use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on the
> HD in the "new" MBP?

What I would do now is start the computer whilst holding down the
'Option' + 'Command' + 'R' keys and connect to Apple's server.

Then erase the hard drive - to start from scratch, as it were.
Then, install macOS from the Apple server.
Then restart the machine.

Once it has been established that all is well, if required, use
Migration Assistant to recover data from the Time Machine backup.

> Thanks for any input.  JohnB

Nothing to lose by doing this. I'm quite an expert now! ;-)

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<l66do4Fe2qvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21286&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21286

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 22 Mar 2024 22:07:00 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:07 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:41:31 GMT, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached the
> point of renewal (getting very tatty!). I have several other similar
> models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers and stuck it
> in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a while and then
> it turns off with a black screen.

I think you should consider this one as either dead or needing a new
battery perhaps, as that's not normal. I suspect a power brownout has
caused a random scribble on the HDD.

> Will start up ok after a short wait
> but will eventually crash out again. She runs "repair HD" from Disk
> Utilty and gets the following error message....
>
> "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
> with the EFI's partition file system"
>
> Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
> reinstall. So, a few questions...
>
> Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?

As above.

> Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
> without having to erase it?
> If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
> use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on the
> HD in the "new" MBP?

I think the new MBP is in a fail state. Try it and see, but I'd be
putting a postit with "untrustworthy" on it and sticking it back in the
cupboard or on ebay for spares after it just powering off.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Communicating badly and then acting smug when
you're misunderstood is not cleverness.

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<utl14q$366ks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21287&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21287

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:36:10 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:36 UTC

On 22/03/2024 22:07, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:41:31 GMT, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

> I think the new MBP is in a fail state. Try it and see, but I'd be
> putting a postit with "untrustworthy" on it and sticking it back in the
> cupboard or on ebay for spares after it just powering off.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Thanks Jamie - I forgot to mention though, that the one I pulled from
the cupboard was being used as my "back up". That is, it was being
used by me every 2 or 3 months just to update everything on it to
contain the same important files as I use daily on my MBAir, and run it
then for a a few hours or so till next time.

Last time it was all working just fine. So I just pulled the SSD from it
with a view to putting that into my one remaining MBP - but I haven't
got that far yet.

I might try the daughter's HD in the final laptop first.

JohnB

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<l66h6hFejmaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21288&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21288

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 22 Mar 2024 23:05:53 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:05 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 22:36:10 GMT, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> On 22/03/2024 22:07, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:41:31 GMT, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com>
>> wrote:
>

>> I think the new MBP is in a fail state. Try it and see, but I'd be
>> putting a postit with "untrustworthy" on it and sticking it back in the
>> cupboard or on ebay for spares after it just powering off.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Thanks Jamie - I forgot to mention though, that the one I pulled from
> the cupboard was being used as my "back up". That is, it was being
> used by me every 2 or 3 months just to update everything on it to
> contain the same important files as I use daily on my MBAir, and run it
> then for a a few hours or so till next time.
>
> Last time it was all working just fine. So I just pulled the SSD from it
> with a view to putting that into my one remaining MBP - but I haven't
> got that far yet.
>
> I might try the daughter's HD in the final laptop first.
>
> JohnB

Try its original HDD back in, and use it hard for a while. Run Draw
Things on it or something similarly power hungry.

It's possible (though fairly unlikely) that your daughter's drive is too
high power draw. More likely the drive is flaky; also possible that the
powerdown issue was just One Of Those Things and it'll never happen
again.

But a Mac shutting down without warning is *never* a good sign.
Something was wrong, and much more likely hardware than software IME.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Is everyone acting like a solipsist in here, or is it just me?

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro?

<l66ie9Fe314U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21289&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21289

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:27:05 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:27 UTC

On 22/03/2024 23:05, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
[....]
> Try its original HDD back in, and use it hard for a while. Run Draw
> Things on it or something similarly power hungry.

I was rather surprised that the daughter's MacBook from 2012 had a 2 TB
SSD - IIRC SSDs were pretty pricey back then.

> It's possible (though fairly unlikely) that your daughter's drive is too
> high power draw. More likely the drive is flaky; also possible that the
> powerdown issue was just One Of Those Things and it'll never happen
> again.
>
> But a Mac shutting down without warning is *never* a good sign.
> Something was wrong, and much more likely hardware than software IME.

I completely agree with you!

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)

<utn382$3ov3v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21298&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21298

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:24:18 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:24 UTC

On 22/03/2024 15:41, jbrennand wrote:
> My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached the
> point of renewal (getting very tatty!).  I have several other similar
> models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers and stuck it
> in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a while and then
> it turns off with a black screen.  Will start up ok after a short wait
> but will eventually crash out again.  She runs "repair HD" from Disk
> Utilty and gets the following error message....
>
> "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
> with the EFI's partition file system"
>
> Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
> reinstall. So, a few questions...
>
> Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?
> Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
> without having to erase it?
> If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
> use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on the
> HD in the "new" MBP?
>
> Thanks for any input.  JohnB

This is starting to p me off now !

I tried re-installing the OS. Process went smoothly for getting the OS
- but after the install completed and went through the restart I got the
following error message...

Could not install on HD as a disk with a mount point is required (-69854).

Tried to power up and its hanging on the grey apple - estimating time
remaining !

Any advice to salvage something would be good !

JohnB

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)

<l68i7gFnl7eU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21299&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21299

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:35:44 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:35 UTC

On 23/03/2024 17:24, jbrennand wrote:
> On 22/03/2024 15:41, jbrennand wrote:
>> My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached
>> the point of renewal (getting very tatty!).  I have several other
>> similar models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers
>> and stuck it in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a
>> while and then it turns off with a black screen.  Will start up ok
>> after a short wait but will eventually crash out again.  She runs
>> "repair HD" from Disk Utilty and gets the following error message....
>>
>> "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
>> with the EFI's partition file system"
>>
>> Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
>> reinstall. So, a few questions...
>>
>> Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?
>> Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
>> without having to erase it?
>> If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
>> use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on
>> the HD in the "new" MBP?
>>
>> Thanks for any input.  JohnB
>
> This is starting to p me off now !
>
> I tried re-installing the OS.  Process went smoothly for getting the OS
> - but after the install completed and went through the restart I got the
> following error message...
>

> Could not install on HD as a disk with a mount point is required (-69854).
>
> Tried to power up and its hanging on the grey apple - estimating time
> remaining !
>
> Any advice to salvage something would be good !

Did you do it how I suggested, John?

Yes - or - no?

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)

<utnasd$3qrog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21302&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21302

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:34:37 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

On 23/03/2024 17:24, jbrennand wrote:
> On 22/03/2024 15:41, jbrennand wrote:
>> My daughter's mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7)has reached
>> the point of renewal (getting very tatty!).  I have several other
>> similar models in me cupboard so I pulled the HD (2TB SSD)from hers
>> and stuck it in one of them - but a problem has arisen. It runs for a
>> while and then it turns off with a black screen.  Will start up ok
>> after a short wait but will eventually crash out again.  She runs
>> "repair HD" from Disk Utilty and gets the following error message....
>>
>> "The partition map needs to be repaired because there is a problem
>> with the EFI's partition file system"
>>
>> Googling about seems to imply this is only repairable by a MacOS
>> reinstall. So, a few questions...
>>
>> Can someone explain in simpleton terms what has happened and why ?
>> Should I try a straight reinstall from the recovery disk - hopefully
>> without having to erase it?
>> If it has to be erased - I have a recent TM back up - should I simply
>> use that - but if so - will it not just reproduce the same issue on
>> the HD in the "new" MBP?
>>
>> Thanks for any input.  JohnB
>
> This is starting to p me off now !
>
> I tried re-installing the OS.  Process went smoothly for getting the OS
> - but after the install completed and went through the restart I got the
> following error message...
>

> Could not install on HD as a disk with a mount point is required (-69854).
>
> Tried to power up and its hanging on the grey apple - estimating time
> remaining !
>
> Any advice to salvage something would be good !
>
> JohnB

Well... after leaving it whilst I had my tea... it lives !!
Will do a fresh TM BU and then see how it goes - fingers crossed.
JohnB

Re: How best to reinstall MacOS on Old MBPro (UPDATE)

<l698o0Fqpr5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21303&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21303

From: applefanboy@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:00:00 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 00:00 UTC

On 23/03/2024 19:34, jbrennand wrote:
[....]
> Well... after leaving it whilst I had my tea... it lives !!
> Will do a fresh TM BU and then see how it goes - fingers crossed.

Good luck! 🙂