No one can guarantee the actions of another. -- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: OT: TV backlight leds

SubjectAuthor
* OT: TV backlight ledsPaul Carmichael
+* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsBruce Horrocks
|+- Re: OT: TV backlight ledsPaul Carmichael
|`- Re: OT: TV backlight ledspetrolcan
+* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsMark Olson
|`* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsPaul Carmichael
| `* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsMark Olson
|  `* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsgeoffC
|   `* Re: OT: TV backlight ledsMark Olson
|    `- Re: OT: TV backlight ledsgeoffC
`- Re: OT: TV backlight ledsYTC#1

1
OT: TV backlight leds

<pan$f14e7$663dfb76$fb292747$5621cc25@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21238&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21238

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: OT: TV backlight leds
Date: 23 Apr 2024 17:56:00 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:56 UTC

Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?

The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark, could
just make out the picture).

Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.

Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.

Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
connectors etc.

Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.

Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are lots
of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<a93118a4-2c9f-4f6f-8af2-4468b1275670@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21239&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21239

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: OT: TV backlight leds
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:32:56 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:32 UTC

On 23/04/2024 18:56, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
>
> The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark, could
> just make out the picture).
>
> Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.
>
> Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
>
> Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
> connectors etc.
>
> Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
> looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.
>
> Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are lots
> of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.

My usual rule of thumb for this kind of thing is: is there a video on
Youtube? Does it look easy enough? Does the YT description list the
actual parts to buy?

The last bit is usually the decider!

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<pan$44d97$c80a26bc$43034384$f8e1f043@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21240&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21240

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 23 Apr 2024 19:11:48 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:11 UTC

El Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:32:56 +0100, Bruce Horrocks escribió:

> On 23/04/2024 18:56, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
>>
>> The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark,
>> could just make out the picture).
>>
>> Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.
>>
>> Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
>>
>> Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
>> connectors etc.
>>
>> Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
>> looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.
>>
>> Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are
>> lots of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.
>

> My usual rule of thumb for this kind of thing is: is there a video on
> Youtube? Does it look easy enough? Does the YT description list the
> actual parts to buy?
>
> The last bit is usually the decider!

This is what I bought:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005005727860719.html?spm=a2g0o.refund_spm.
0.0.4dc343e0NUpelG&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

Looks like originals are about 70€.

Taking it apart was messy - but not difficult.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v095dh$1qj8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21246&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21246

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:24:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:24 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
>
> The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark, could
> just make out the picture).
>
> Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.
>
> Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
>
> Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
> connectors etc.
>
> Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
> looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.
>
> Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are lots
> of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.

I'm as willing as the next fellow to DIY with electronics, but TVs,
to my mind, are pretty cheap, considering the quality you get nowadays.

I'd imagine trying to refit LEDs behind the screen will probably end up
with a bad picture and a waste of your time.

369 Euro including VAT for a nice 43 inch Samsung 4k TV at
https://www.mediamarkt.es

Has to be cheaper for a no-name HD resolution unit...

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<MPG.40922a7aa94cb97c9897ac@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21249&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21249

From: petrolcan@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:29:17 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:29 UTC

In article <a93118a4-2c9f-4f6f-8af2-4468b1275670@scorecrow.com>, Bruce Horrocks says...

> On 23/04/2024 18:56, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> > Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
> >
> > The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark, could
> > just make out the picture).
> >
> > Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.
> >
> > Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
> >
> > Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
> > connectors etc.
> >
> > Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
> > looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.
> >
> > Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are lots
> > of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.
>

> My usual rule of thumb for this kind of thing is: is there a video on
> Youtube? Does it look easy enough? Does the YT description list the
> actual parts to buy?
>
> The last bit is usually the decider!

Deciding factor for me in such a situation is whether there's enough room in the bin.

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<pan$3b668$bc190316$7ba8e029$5f021351@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21256&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21256

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 24 Apr 2024 09:07:45 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:07 UTC

El Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:24:18 +0000, Mark Olson escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
>>
>> The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark,
>> could just make out the picture).
>>
>> Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.
>>
>> Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
>>
>> Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
>> connectors etc.
>>
>> Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
>> looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.
>>
>> Question is: is it worth it? And yes, I'm assuming that as there are
>> lots of volts at the connector, it is the leds at fault.
>
> I'm as willing as the next fellow to DIY with electronics, but TVs,
> to my mind, are pretty cheap, considering the quality you get nowadays.
>
> I'd imagine trying to refit LEDs behind the screen will probably end up
> with a bad picture and a waste of your time.
>
> 369 Euro including VAT for a nice 43 inch Samsung 4k TV at
> https://www.mediamarkt.es
>
> Has to be cheaper for a no-name HD resolution unit...

Done that. We had guests due in, so couldn't mess around. Spent 350 at
Carrefour. Now I have a garage full of bits of 10 y/o tv.

And the guest tells me that in 8 nights, they didn't even switch the tv
on.

I'm tempted to bin it as a) it would only be a spare and b) being quite
old, anything could break next.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v0b2a0$2bkuu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21272&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21272

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:43 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote:
> El Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:24:18 +0000, Mark Olson escribió:

>> 369 Euro including VAT for a nice 43 inch Samsung 4k TV at
>> https://www.mediamarkt.es
>>
>> Has to be cheaper for a no-name HD resolution unit...
>

> Done that. We had guests due in, so couldn't mess around. Spent 350 at
> Carrefour. Now I have a garage full of bits of 10 y/o tv.
>
> And the guest tells me that in 8 nights, they didn't even switch the tv
> on.
>
> I'm tempted to bin it as a) it would only be a spare and b) being quite
> old, anything could break next.

I strongly recommend just chucking it out. Not worth the space it
takes up and you probably don't need another project for that mythical
future day when you find yourself casting about for something to
while away the time.

It's hard for me to throw anything away that is potentially useful.
I've come to realize that, just like for a business, keeping inventory
around has a cost associated with it. For me, that cost is storage
space, I'm literally running out of places to put things.

Which gives me an idea, I'm now going out to the garage to fire up the
angle grinder, I may be some time. Maybe I will free up a spot to set
up the 3D printer I bought a few years ago but never assembled. Or, I
might get just as much enjoyment out of throwing the damned thing away!

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v0bk81$2fso1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21276&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21276

From: me@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:49:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:49 UTC

OOn 24/04/2024 15:43, Mark Olson wrote:

>Which gives me an idea, I'm now going out to the garage to fire up the
>angle grinder, I may be some time. Maybe I will free up a spot to set
>up the 3D printer I bought a few years ago but never assembled. Or, I
>might get just as much enjoyment out of throwing the damned thing away!

You could 3D print a dustbin and put it in that.
Or print a new garage?

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v0c60k$2jlei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21280&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21280

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:52:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:52 UTC

geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:
> OOn 24/04/2024 15:43, Mark Olson wrote:
>

>>Which gives me an idea, I'm now going out to the garage to fire up the
>>angle grinder, I may be some time. Maybe I will free up a spot to set
>>up the 3D printer I bought a few years ago but never assembled. Or, I
>>might get just as much enjoyment out of throwing the damned thing away!
>>

> You could 3D print a dustbin and put it in that.

LOL!

> Or print a new garage?

I do have a 22 m^2 shed in the planning stages, the "2 car" garage
hasn't held two cars since the motorbike count reached 4... Lucky to
get one car in there in the winter, come summer, bikes and the bike
lift take priority.

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v0d11n$2sliq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21283&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21283

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:34:15 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:34 UTC

On 23/04/2024 18:56, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> Anybody changed tv backlight leds with success?
>
> The tv at at holiday home (LG, 10 years old) packed up (went dark, could
> just make out the picture).
>
> Ordered led strips from Ali. Strips arrived from China.

At this point, I knew it was not going to go well.

> Took tv apart. Now in bits all over the garage.
>
> Go to install new strips - wrong. Wrong size and don't line up, wrong
> connectors etc.
>
> Thought it worth a try as the strips cost 12€. Now returning them. It
> looks like a proper set may cost 5 times that.

Does no one think on the children/environment?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: OT: TV backlight leds

<v0d31s$2t5s9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21288&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21288

From: me@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:08:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:08 UTC

On 25/04/2024 01:52, Mark Olson wrote:
>geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:
>> OOn 24/04/2024 15:43, Mark Olson wrote:
>>

>>>Which gives me an idea, I'm now going out to the garage to fire up the
>>>angle grinder, I may be some time. Maybe I will free up a spot to set
>>>up the 3D printer I bought a few years ago but never assembled. Or, I
>>>might get just as much enjoyment out of throwing the damned thing away!
>>>

>> You could 3D print a dustbin and put it in that.
>
>LOL!
>
>> Or print a new garage?
>
>I do have a 22 m^2 shed in the planning stages, the "2 car" garage
>hasn't held two cars since the motorbike count reached 4... Lucky to
>get one car in there in the winter, come summer, bikes and the bike
>lift take priority.

Don't throw anything away. Experience teaches us that having kept a
perfectly good gizmo in stock for 30yrs, the moment you bin it, you, your
neighbour/brother/mate is going to need one about a week later and ends up
having to buy one.
That moment when someone pops round to enquire if you happen to have a rare
mk1 arbilator in the shed. In the ensueing 3hr rummage, you can't find one
but you DO find that adapter you searched for in vain last week :-)

--
Geoff
NTV 650