From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
Subject: Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by
macOS 14.4 update
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:18:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OJAjz1zMR3bwQuDzKK/o0XbhKBg=
 by: Chris - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-20, OrangeFish <OrangeFish@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> All of our USB hubs, printers, and more are working just fine with
>>> multiple different model Macs running 14.4. What are we doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Rather than being a gullible rube who blindly believes every
>>> sensational clickbait hit piece you read, you may want to consider
>>> that the people who post these articles have a monetary interest in
>>> making relatively small issues appear to be larger and more wide
>>> spread than they actually are - because getting more clicks literally
>>> makes them more money.
>>
>> Ars Technica is fairly respectable. The author of the article states
>> that his machine was not affected but others are affected (with links
>> to Apple and reddit).
>
> I didn't claim there is no issue - just that media has an incentive to
> sensationalize it. Even Ars Technica wants more clicks, because it
> literally pays their bills. And it's a well-known fact that news about
> Apple gets clicks, and negative news about Apple gets the most clicks.
>
> BTW, the OP, Ant, posted about this with a frowny face - but I can
> virtually guarantee you he isn't having these problems on his own Macs.

TBF Oracle themselves are advising against updating to 14.4. There's a
detailed explanation here, apparently there was quite a significant change
after the release candidate:
https://blogs.oracle.com/java/post/java-on-macos-14-4

Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update

<uti6el$2e0k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21276&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21276

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
Subject: Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4
update
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:48:21 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:48 UTC

On 21.03.24 20:18, Chris wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Ars Technica is fairly respectable. The author of the article states
>>> that his machine was not affected but others are affected (with links
>>> to Apple and reddit).
>>
>> I didn't claim there is no issue - just that media has an incentive to
>> sensationalize it. Even Ars Technica wants more clicks, because it
>> literally pays their bills. And it's a well-known fact that news about
>> Apple gets clicks, and negative news about Apple gets the most clicks.
>>
>> BTW, the OP, Ant, posted about this with a frowny face - but I can
>> virtually guarantee you he isn't having these problems on his own Macs.
>>

> TBF Oracle themselves are advising against updating to 14.4. There's a
> detailed explanation here, apparently there was quite a significant change
> after the release candidate:
> https://blogs.oracle.com/java/post/java-on-macos-14-4

Oracle is not really a relevant source for a decision to avoid or
execute Mac-updates. They should try to get their act together.

If someone in the private domain thinks he or she needs java, fine. It
can look a bit different in a corporate environment.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update

<utje6m$2q9o4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21278&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21278

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
macOS 14.4 update
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:06:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vgBSGXrOBlQRIdcd0tW9dArw6/E=
 by: Chris - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:06 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21.03.24 20:18, Chris wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> I didn't claim there is no issue - just that media has an incentive to
>>> sensationalize it. Even Ars Technica wants more clicks, because it
>>> literally pays their bills. And it's a well-known fact that news about
>>> Apple gets clicks, and negative news about Apple gets the most clicks.
>>>
>>> BTW, the OP, Ant, posted about this with a frowny face - but I can
>>> virtually guarantee you he isn't having these problems on his own Macs.
>>>

>> TBF Oracle themselves are advising against updating to 14.4. There's a
>> detailed explanation here, apparently there was quite a significant change
>> after the release candidate:
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/java/post/java-on-macos-14-4
>
> Oracle is not really a relevant source for a decision to avoid or
> execute Mac-updates. They should try to get their act together.

Eh, what? Oracle own Java. They're the most relevant source of information
for java issues.

Did you even read the link? Apple made a very late (and undocumented?)
change.

> If someone in the private domain thinks he or she needs java, fine. It
> can look a bit different in a corporate environment.

Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update

<utjtmd$2toit$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21281&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21281

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
update
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:31:09 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:31 UTC

On 22.03.24 09:06, Chris wrote:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> TBF Oracle themselves are advising against updating to 14.4. There's a
>>> detailed explanation here, apparently there was quite a significant change
>>> after the release candidate:
>>> https://blogs.oracle.com/java/post/java-on-macos-14-4
>>
>> Oracle is not really a relevant source for a decision to avoid or
>> execute Mac-updates. They should try to get their act together.
>
> Eh, what? Oracle own Java. They're the most relevant source of information
> for java issues.

I did not say anything else. Learn to read and understand. Oracle is
irrelevant for Mac-users.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: USB hubs, printers, Java, and more seemingly broken by macOS 14.4 update

<utsjvs$19ev1$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21314&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#21314

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.system
macOS 14.4 update
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:40:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:40 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 22.03.24 09:06, Chris wrote:
>> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Oracle is not really a relevant source for a decision to avoid or
>>> execute Mac-updates. They should try to get their act together.
>>
>> Eh, what? Oracle own Java. They're the most relevant source of information
>> for java issues.
>
> I did not say anything else. Learn to read and understand. Oracle is
> irrelevant for Mac-users.

Fixed in today’s 14.4.1 release.

<https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/25/apple-releases-macos-sonoma-14-4-1/>

--