From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Well, a question about a possible device
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 09:02:38 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:02 UTC

Now as I've said here before, I have a sub here, which for no apparent
reason will go off with a bang, apparently because the psu relay is dropped
out by a sudden fault condition.
This is compounded by the fact that my sighted friend can have it running
on a bench with a dummy load for ever with no apparent problems.
Thus I have ruled out the speaker itself, no sign of a short when moving
the cone.
I am thinking that it could be the relay itself which controls the two
halves of a supply, if one contact did suffer just a bit from a high
resistance while on, it might trigger the protection as the transistor on
the other side would be conducting too much. It is after all mostly dc
coupled.
So long preamble, Does anyone produce a module that could output something
to, say a USB port that can measure plus and minus voltages. I guess a bit
like a digital version of a storage scope. The idea being that it should if,
say it records than last two minutes of activity, and is stopped by the
switch off, to see if indeed the supply lines vary, and which way the
voltage leaps, giving us the side to watch.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Well, a question about a possible device

<59fb7f4c2bnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2155&group=uk.rec.audio#2155

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Subject: Re: Well, a question about a possible device
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:58:51 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:58 UTC

I use a Scarlett 2i2 to output and gather audio for analysis, etc. The 3rd
gen example is pretty good. Calibrate against a DVM.

If you run a 'probe sinewave' though the unit being tested it would
presumably show when/how the signal dies when the unit stops.

Jim

In article <t8p9j0$jjh$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:
> So long preamble, Does anyone produce a module that could output
> something to, say a USB port that can measure plus and minus voltages. I
> guess a bit like a digital version of a storage scope. The idea being
> that it should if, say it records than last two minutes of activity, and
> is stopped by the switch off, to see if indeed the supply lines vary,
> and which way the voltage leaps, giving us the side to watch. Brian

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Well, a question about a possible device

<t8ujuu$qu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2160&group=uk.rec.audio#2160

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 09:30:17 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 22 Jun 2022 08:30 UTC

Actually all you hear is a very loud bang from the speaker normally.
Sometimes it will rustle a bit then go bang which is what made me suspect
the relay. We tried making the protection less fast and it trashed two
output transistors. Bah humbug. Common types though, but not really meant to
be used as fuses!
It can be days before it starts to misbehave again, hence my thought of
just having what is in fact a virtual chart recorder monitoring both
supplies against the centre earth.
Brian

--

--: