"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down." -- H. L. Mencken

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Going back to Solar and Battery

SubjectAuthor
* Going back to Solar and BatteryMike McMillan
`* Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryBrritSki
 `* Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryMike McMillan
  +* Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryBrritSki
  |`- Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryMike McMillan
  `* Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryNick Odell
   `* Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryMike McMillan
    `* Re: Going back to Solar and Batteryjohn ashby
     +- Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryBrritSki
     +- Re: Going back to Solar and BatteryMike McMillan
     `- Re: Going back to Solar and BatterySam Plusnet

1
Going back to Solar and Battery

<uqlh6f$3dd12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21763&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21763

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Going back to Solar and Battery
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:21:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yERoHdGqmp4qQ7hRrV0YuUlFzvM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:21 UTC

Sorry, can’t access the original thread so have started a new:

I mentioned the saving sessions that my energy supplier has run lately… I
have participated by sending them energy from my battery during ‘Peaker
Stations’ times in the last few months. My statement is on its’ way but I
have the figures from there messages to me:

‘So far you've earned 265496 Octopoints (or £331.87 ) over 11 Saving
Sessions.’

This is equivalent to providing me with 1,921 kW/h of heat pump fodder
which will go a long way towards paying my winter quarter energy bill! For
the record, I have only been able to export any meaningful amount of energy
to the grid since my Tesla controls were configured to allow me to export
from the battery in early December; about 5 saving sessions of 1 hour each.
The rate varies and can be as high as £4 per kW/h.

As an addendum, further to my previous answers regarding the depth of
discharge for my Tesla Powerwall based system, I note that occasionally,
the app stops the charging at 97% though other days, it continues to 100%.
As I think I have implied, the battery claims a capacity of 13.5 kW/h per
unit (I have 2 linked together for my battery) and I think this is USABLE
capacity and actually holds a little more and the BMS (battery management
system) has overall control for protection and to provide best results. The
lowest I have ever run the capacity down to is (I think) some 5% but the
system seems happy to accept such conditions. Normally, I have the
‘reserve’ capacity set to 20% to cater for any power outages as ~5.4 kW/h
would enable me to minimise the demand and if required, keep the heat pump
going for some hours. (In the present warm weather, demand is under 0.5
kW/h. to heat the whole house to 22.5 degrees C.

Just saying…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<l40kp3Flh0jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21876&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21876

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Going back to Solar and Battery
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:57:39 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:57 UTC

On 15/02/2024 17:21, Mike McMillan wrote:

> Sorry, can’t access the original thread so have started a new:
>
> I mentioned the saving sessions that my energy supplier has run lately… I
> have participated by sending them energy from my battery during ‘Peaker
> Stations’ times in the last few months. My statement is on its’ way but I
> have the figures from there messages to me:
>
> ‘So far you've earned 265496 Octopoints (or £331.87 ) over 11 Saving
> Sessions.’
>
> This is equivalent to providing me with 1,921 kW/h of heat pump fodder
> which will go a long way towards paying my winter quarter energy bill! For
> the record, I have only been able to export any meaningful amount of energy
> to the grid since my Tesla controls were configured to allow me to export
> from the battery in early December; about 5 saving sessions of 1 hour each.
> The rate varies and can be as high as £4 per kW/h.
>
> As an addendum, further to my previous answers regarding the depth of
> discharge for my Tesla Powerwall based system, I note that occasionally,
> the app stops the charging at 97% though other days, it continues to 100%.
> As I think I have implied, the battery claims a capacity of 13.5 kW/h per
> unit (I have 2 linked together for my battery) and I think this is USABLE
> capacity and actually holds a little more and the BMS (battery management
> system) has overall control for protection and to provide best results. The
> lowest I have ever run the capacity down to is (I think) some 5% but the
> system seems happy to accept such conditions. Normally, I have the
> ‘reserve’ capacity set to 20% to cater for any power outages as ~5.4 kW/h
> would enable me to minimise the demand and if required, keep the heat pump
> going for some hours. (In the present warm weather, demand is under 0.5
> kW/h. to heat the whole house to 22.5 degrees C.
>
> Just saying…

Thanks for the update, all looks like good news.

I never seem to see the Octoplus notification in time to register for
it. Do you have some special trick or is it just your normal setup for
exporting during the evening peak which earns the points automagically ?

Thanks also for the info on charging/discharging. It all makes sense and
I'm sure the clever Tesla BMS makes a difference. Trouble is we won't
know for 10 years or so if the battery has degraded and/or by how much.

We are still going ahead though for a single battery and have already
had the site survey and will follow up on dates now we're back from skiing.

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<urfror$1v6as$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21892&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21892

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:01:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vxlqVz8gYZwaQ4eE0g+ZTdykoL8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:01 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/02/2024 17:21, Mike McMillan wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, can’t access the original thread so have started a new:
>>
>> I mentioned the saving sessions that my energy supplier has run lately… I
>> have participated by sending them energy from my battery during ‘Peaker
>> Stations’ times in the last few months. My statement is on its’ way but I
>> have the figures from there messages to me:
>>
>> ‘So far you've earned 265496 Octopoints (or £331.87 ) over 11 Saving
>> Sessions.’
>>
>> This is equivalent to providing me with 1,921 kW/h of heat pump fodder
>> which will go a long way towards paying my winter quarter energy bill! For
>> the record, I have only been able to export any meaningful amount of energy
>> to the grid since my Tesla controls were configured to allow me to export
>> from the battery in early December; about 5 saving sessions of 1 hour each.
>> The rate varies and can be as high as £4 per kW/h.
>>
>> As an addendum, further to my previous answers regarding the depth of
>> discharge for my Tesla Powerwall based system, I note that occasionally,
>> the app stops the charging at 97% though other days, it continues to 100%.
>> As I think I have implied, the battery claims a capacity of 13.5 kW/h per
>> unit (I have 2 linked together for my battery) and I think this is USABLE
>> capacity and actually holds a little more and the BMS (battery management
>> system) has overall control for protection and to provide best results. The
>> lowest I have ever run the capacity down to is (I think) some 5% but the
>> system seems happy to accept such conditions. Normally, I have the
>> ‘reserve’ capacity set to 20% to cater for any power outages as ~5.4 kW/h
>> would enable me to minimise the demand and if required, keep the heat pump
>> going for some hours. (In the present warm weather, demand is under 0.5
>> kW/h. to heat the whole house to 22.5 degrees C.
>>
>> Just saying…
>>
> Thanks for the update, all looks like good news.
>
> I never seem to see the Octoplus notification in time to register for
> it. Do you have some special trick or is it just your normal setup for
> exporting during the evening peak which earns the points automagically ?
>
> Thanks also for the info on charging/discharging. It all makes sense and
> I'm sure the clever Tesla BMS makes a difference. Trouble is we won't
> know for 10 years or so if the battery has degraded and/or by how much.
>
> We are still going ahead though for a single battery and have already
> had the site survey and will follow up on dates now we're back from skiing.

Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
whats app too. Caution: being a NERD with First Class Hons. definitely
helps me not to forget to set up for ill-gotten gaining!
As to the efficacy of the Tesla BMS, as you say, 10 years or so time…. Mine
Dew, perhaps when there is a need to replace the battery, we will be
offered far more advance chemistry that will hold larger amounts of energy
and have a 50 year + lifespan!

Best wishes for the project investment.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<l41k2tFq3ivU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21893&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21893

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:51:57 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

On 25/02/2024 17:01, Mike McMillan wrote:
> BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> I never seem to see the Octoplus notification in time to register for
>> it. Do you have some special trick or is it just your normal setup for
>> exporting during the evening peak which earns the points automagically ?
>>

> Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
> the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
> whats app too.

Yes, I've done that, but only seem to get an hour's notice. Or maybe
that was just the recent surprise one...

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<d09nti5k3re8r8f79i0tvv672ec14halmc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21899&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21899

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:34:49 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:34 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:01:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks also for the info on charging/discharging. It all makes sense and
>> I'm sure the clever Tesla BMS makes a difference. Trouble is we won't
>> know for 10 years or so if the battery has degraded and/or by how much.
>>
>> We are still going ahead though for a single battery and have already
>> had the site survey and will follow up on dates now we're back from skiing.
>>

>Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
>the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
>whats app too. Caution: being a NERD with First Class Hons. definitely
>helps me not to forget to set up for ill-gotten gaining!
>As to the efficacy of the Tesla BMS, as you say, 10 years or so time…. Mine
>Dew, perhaps when there is a need to replace the battery, we will be
>offered far more advance chemistry that will hold larger amounts of energy

Nah... In ten years time every home will have its own nuclear fusion
generator and the panels and batteries will just be decorations.

Nick

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<urhjtn$2er3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21907&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21907

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:59:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D6GvCSqXjmJCgeqe7ks2K7QqXqY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:59 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2024 17:01, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I never seem to see the Octoplus notification in time to register for
>>> it. Do you have some special trick or is it just your normal setup for
>>> exporting during the evening peak which earns the points automagically ?
>>>

>> Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
>> the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
>> whats app too.
>
> Yes, I've done that, but only seem to get an hour's notice. Or maybe
> that was just the recent surprise one...

Only ever get a few hours notice of any sessions and that is usually via
the Ripple Energy website ‘chatter’. OE tend to announce not much more than
1 or 2 hours before hand.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<urhk08$2esk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21908&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21908

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:00:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q+zBsEUd03Ycf1NnJ0Zi6DWDEF8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:00 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:01:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the update, all looks like good news.
>>>
>>> I never seem to see the Octoplus notification in time to register for
>>> it. Do you have some special trick or is it just your normal setup for
>>> exporting during the evening peak which earns the points automagically ?
>>>
>>> Thanks also for the info on charging/discharging. It all makes sense and
>>> I'm sure the clever Tesla BMS makes a difference. Trouble is we won't
>>> know for 10 years or so if the battery has degraded and/or by how much.
>>>
>>> We are still going ahead though for a single battery and have already
>>> had the site survey and will follow up on dates now we're back from skiing.
>>>

>> Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
>> the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
>> whats app too. Caution: being a NERD with First Class Hons. definitely
>> helps me not to forget to set up for ill-gotten gaining!
>> As to the efficacy of the Tesla BMS, as you say, 10 years or so time…. Mine
>> Dew, perhaps when there is a need to replace the battery, we will be
>> offered far more advance chemistry that will hold larger amounts of energy
>> and have a 50 year + lifespan!
>>
>> Best wishes for the project investment.
>
> Nah... In ten years time every home will have its own nuclear fusion
> generator and the panels and batteries will just be decorations.
>
> Nick

And in 10 year’s time, we will be saying…

Nah... In ten years time every home will have its own nuclear fusion
generator and the panels and batteries will just be decorations.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<urhp7s$2fu7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21910&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21910

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:30:20 +0000
 by: john ashby - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:30 UTC

On 26/02/2024 09:00, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:01:15 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> Octopus Energy send out notifications in advance if you have opted in to
>>> the Octoplus scheme. You can request to receive alerts via Twi’er and / or
>>> whats app too. Caution: being a NERD with First Class Hons. definitely
>>> helps me not to forget to set up for ill-gotten gaining!
>>> As to the efficacy of the Tesla BMS, as you say, 10 years or so time…. Mine
>>> Dew, perhaps when there is a need to replace the battery, we will be
>>> offered far more advance chemistry that will hold larger amounts of energy
>>> and have a 50 year + lifespan!
>>>
>>> Best wishes for the project investment.
>>
>> Nah... In ten years time every home will have its own nuclear fusion
>> generator and the panels and batteries will just be decorations.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> And in 10 year’s time, we will be saying…
>
> Nah... In ten years time every home will have its own nuclear fusion
> generator and the panels and batteries will just be decorations.

Fusion power is only twenty years away and has been for the last seventy
years.

john (in reality fusion power is 8 minutes away)

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<l437raF382gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21911&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21911

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:35:22 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:35 UTC

I c what mean.

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<urhs36$2gi8o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21912&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21912

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:19:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PMGp9nQaoW5b8dvsceJkBXtSqwQ=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:19 UTC

Are you of a Sunny disposition then?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Going back to Solar and Battery

<%x5DN.65690$I2y9.37610@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21922&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21922

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:22:35 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:22 UTC

And has been for a d@mn sight longer than seventy years.

--
Sam Plusnet