To err is human, but when the eraser wears out before the pencil, you're overdoing it a little.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

SubjectAuthor
* The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyVicky
+- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeySerena Blanchflower
`* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockeynick
 `* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyKate B
  +* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyVicky
  |`* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyKate B
  | +* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyJ. P. Gilliver
  | |+* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyWenlock
  | ||+* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyChris
  | ||`* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyRosie Mitchell
  | || `- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeySam Plusnet
  | |`- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyChris
  | `* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyChris
  |  +- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockeyjohn ashby
  |  `- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyVicky
  +- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeyMike McMillan
  `* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham BlockeySteve Hague
   `* Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockeykosmo
    `- Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockeyjohn ashby

Pages:12
The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<hf3qtil88rjo6cirlk102trmk08nubp852@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21923&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21923

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:17:43 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:17 UTC

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urj3b5$2f5s9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21924&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21924

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham
Blockey
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:28:53 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:28 UTC

On 26/02/2024 22:17, Vicky wrote:
> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY

That's going to be a real challenge for him. My preference would be for
Robert to have been allowed a peaceful, and happy, death. It's hard to
imagine anyone else being able to replace Graham Blockey but I hope I'm
proved wrong.

--
Best wishes, Serena
When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<f4fcdb7989ae147e28d4e64783a81371@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21926&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21926

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (nick)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:17:31 +0000
 by: nick - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:17 UTC

Vicky wrote:

> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY

I'll be happy to wait and see. As I think I said at the time,when David Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or behave like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and I'm willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.

Nick

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<l4656sFg4vgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21927&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21927

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000
 by: Kate B - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08 UTC

On 27/02/2024 11:17, nick wrote:
> Vicky wrote:
>
>> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY
>
> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when David
> Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or behave
> like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and I'm
> willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>
> Nick

I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
successful marriage in the village, after all.

--
Kate B

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<t8orti96g8dllum1qmv90o674ih4svdqft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21928&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21928

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:20:14 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:20 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 27/02/2024 11:17, nick wrote:
>> Vicky wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY
>>
>> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when David
>> Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or behave
>> like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and I'm
>> willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>> Nick
>
>I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>successful marriage in the village, after all.

Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
and Peggy and her second Jack were.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urkplf$380dp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21929&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21929

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor
Graham Blockey
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:55:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NCtHLbgg7GiIHXiDDDZcZHmeH8c=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:55 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/02/2024 11:17, nick wrote:
>> Vicky wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY
>>
>> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when David
>> Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or behave
>> like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and I'm
>> willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>> Nick
>
> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
> successful marriage in the village, after all.

It’s all down to his lap top! 😉

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21930&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21930

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:28:15 +0000
 by: Kate B - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:28 UTC

On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when David
>>> Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or behave
>>> like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and I'm
>>> willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>> successful marriage in the village, after all.
>
> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
> and Peggy and her second Jack were.

Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
can't say how they would have turned out.

--
Kate B

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<l46jsiFjf92U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21932&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21932

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19:14 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

On 27/02/2024 13:08, Kate B wrote:
> On 27/02/2024 11:17, nick wrote:
>> Vicky wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/soaps/the-archers-recasts-robert-snell-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR2s69r8uQk3b6rSW4Ahdk6AmL4xDUPRGLu6VsLSc6OLyLrYpXgS54FI_kY
>>
>> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when
>> David Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or
>> behave like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and
>> I'm willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>> Nick
>
> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
> successful marriage in the village, after all.

But only because Robert did as he was told.
Steve

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<plPTSlno3o3lFwxn@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21934&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21934

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:35:36 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:35 UTC

In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
[]
>>> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>>> successful marriage in the village, after all.
>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>
>Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>can't say how they would have turned out.

OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.

you can't blame boomers for everything. - Joe Queenan, RT 2023/6/24-30

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urmp1r$3o9be$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21935&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21935

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Graham Blockey
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:57:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tBInKMsgQ/scIAXbykoyegt1/R0=
 by: Wenlock - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:57 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
> 14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>> wrote:
> []
>>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>>
>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>
> OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
> I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.

What about Susan and My Neil? There was that weird incident involving
trimming bushes and lasagne and Shula but basically they are solid.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<xMSdnYGt06NOx0L4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21941&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21941

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:10:01 +0000
Blockey
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: kosmo@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
 by: kosmo - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:10 UTC

On 27.2.24 17:19, Steve Hague wrote:
> On 27/02/2024 13:08, Kate B wrote:

>>> I'll be happy to wait and see.  As I think I said at the time,when
>>> David Troughton took over the role of Tony Archer, he didn't sound or
>>> behave like Colin Skipp but IMO he completely inhabited the part and
>>> I'm willing to give Michael Bertenshaw the benefit of the doubt.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>> successful marriage in the village, after all.
>>
> But only because Robert did as he was told.
> Steve

As I always say "Yes dear".

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<uro5a5$2klm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21945&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21945

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:33:09 +0000
 by: john ashby - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:33 UTC

On 28/02/2024 16:10, kosmo wrote:
> On 27.2.24 17:19, Steve Hague wrote:

>>> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>>> successful marriage in the village, after all.
>>>
>> But only because Robert did as he was told.
>> Steve
>
> As I always say "Yes dear".

You could try "Of course, Lyndy" and see what reaction you get.

johin

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urpjss$f381$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21955&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21955

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Graham Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:fmcidWGUi6XTarKhVq8PlG9P/Iw=
 by: Chris - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm also very glad for La Snell. Theirs is about the only really
>>> successful marriage in the village, after all.
>>
>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>
> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
> can't say how they would have turned out.

Dunno what she ever saw in him, he’s not even a musician.

Mrs McT

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urpjst$f381$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21956&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21956

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Graham Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GZWvtqeSHkoIfe6Bs8nz8OzEt3U=
 by: Chris - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
> 14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:
>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:08:45 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>> wrote:
> []
>>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>>
>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>
> OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
> I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.

It was bound to have to work though.

Mrs McT

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urpjsu$f381$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21957&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21957

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Graham Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:n9B8XekAI3zJP0YFq61cGeA13bo=

Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
>> 14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> []
>>>
>>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>>
>> OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
>> I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.
>
> What about Susan and My Neil? There was that weird incident involving
> trimming bushes and lasagne and Shula but basically they are solid.

Another couple that ought not to have lasted. How she’s remained more
Carter than ‘orrobin still amazes me. I wasn’t listening when she and “My
Neil” got together. I can see why he didn’t get together with Shula,
character like it might have worked but how Neil arrived in Ambridge was
going to be against him at that time.

Mrs McT

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<fjl0uilb2lgdlnglp6tmof73fnv2285r32@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21959&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21959

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:06:18 +0000
 by: Pete W - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:06 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:14 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
>>> 14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> []

>>> OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
>>> I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.
>>
>> What about Susan and My Neil? There was that weird incident involving
>> trimming bushes and lasagne and Shula but basically they are solid.
>>

>Another couple that ought not to have lasted. How she’s remained more
>Carter than ‘orrobin still amazes me. I wasn’t listening when she and “My
>Neil” got together. I can see why he didn’t get together with Shula,
>character like it might have worked but how Neil arrived in Ambridge was
>going to be against him at that time.
>
>Mrs McT

IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether it
was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.
---
Pete.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<87edcv1sj2.fsf@milou>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21960&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21960

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:20:01 +0000
sha1:++TT5bMIhuFLCioQWmCaUsqrEw8=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:20 UTC

Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes:

> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <l469ruFg4vgU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 27 Feb 2024
>> 14:28:15, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> []
>>>
>>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>>
>> OK we sometimes don't hear from her for months on end, but on the whole
>> I think Alan and Usha's is reasonably OK, too. Not perfect, granted.
>
> What about Susan and My Neil? There was that weird incident involving
> trimming bushes and lasagne and Shula but basically they are solid.

I didn't know they'd been supplementing the pig business with a separate
exotic video venture. Or were they not actually separate?

Rosie

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urplr1$eqv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21961&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21961

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:21:21 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:21 UTC

On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:14 -0000 (UTC), Chris
> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> What about Susan and My Neil? There was that weird incident involving
>>> trimming bushes and lasagne and Shula but basically they are solid.
>>>

>> Another couple that ought not to have lasted. How she’s remained more
>> Carter than ‘orrobin still amazes me. I wasn’t listening when she and “My
>> Neil” got together. I can see why he didn’t get together with Shula,
>> character like it might have worked but how Neil arrived in Ambridge was
>> going to be against him at that time.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>
> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether it
> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.

She did, except I think it was Emma she was pregnant with. My memory of
it is that there was a definite suspicion that the pregnancy had been
planned by Susan. She saw Neil as a good catch and was dead set on
catching him, while he was far less interested. She was relying on his
innate decency to do the "right thing" and marry her. I'm not sure that
love, as such, was very apparent on either side, initially. They did
like each other though and Susan was determined to escape being a
Horrobin. Luckily, for both of them, love developed after the event.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Smile, breathe and go slowly (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<87a5nj1ry7.fsf@milou>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21962&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21962

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:32:32 +0000
sha1:148Dv2RqKIGFt+SUvBCqcN2ew40=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:32 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:

> On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:14 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Another couple that ought not to have lasted. How she’s remained more
>>> Carter than ‘orrobin still amazes me. I wasn’t listening when she and “My
>>> Neil” got together. I can see why he didn’t get together with Shula,
>>> character like it might have worked but how Neil arrived in Ambridge was
>>> going to be against him at that time.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether
>> it
>> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.
>
> She did, except I think it was Emma she was pregnant with. My memory
> of it is that there was a definite suspicion that the pregnancy had
> been planned by Susan. She saw Neil as a good catch and was dead set
> on catching him, while he was far less interested. She was relying on
> his innate decency to do the "right thing" and marry her. I'm not
> sure that love, as such, was very apparent on either side, initially.
> They did like each other though and Susan was determined to escape
> being a Horrobin. Luckily, for both of them, love developed after the
> event.

Wasn't there something about a piglet she won at the County Show? The
whole pig still alive; this is not (yet) Jude the Obscure.

Rosie

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<m8p0uilb7dqfg95sbccs4tdh92f3v623cv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21963&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21963

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:15:12 +0000
 by: Pete W - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:15 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:21:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:14 -0000 (UTC), Chris
>> <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Another couple that ought not to have lasted. How she’s remained more
>>> Carter than ‘orrobin still amazes me. I wasn’t listening when she and “My
>>> Neil” got together. I can see why he didn’t get together with Shula,
>>> character like it might have worked but how Neil arrived in Ambridge was
>>> going to be against him at that time.
>>>
>>> Mrs McT
>>
>> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether it
>> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.
>
>She did, except I think it was Emma she was pregnant with.

Thank you. Your memory is much better than mine. I should have checked
Emma born 7th Aug 84, Chris 22nd June 88.

> My memory of
>it is that there was a definite suspicion that the pregnancy had been
>planned by Susan. She saw Neil as a good catch and was dead set on
>catching him, while he was far less interested. She was relying on his
>innate decency to do the "right thing" and marry her. I'm not sure that
>love, as such, was very apparent on either side, initially. They did
>like each other though and Susan was determined to escape being a
>Horrobin. Luckily, for both of them, love developed after the event.

A long time ago but your suspicions do bring back memories and I'm
sure they are correct.
---
Pete.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urppr6$g870$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21964&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21964

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:29:42 +0000
 by: john ashby - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:29 UTC

On 29/02/2024 09:48, Chris wrote:
> Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:

>>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>>
>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>

> Dunno what she ever saw in him, he’s not even a musician.
>
> Mrs McT

Q What do you call a musician without a Significant Other?
A Homeless.

john

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urpqrh$eqva$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21965&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21965

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:46:56 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:46 UTC

On 29/02/2024 10:32, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:
>
>> On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:

>>> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether
>>> it
>>> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.
>>
>> She did, except I think it was Emma she was pregnant with. My memory
>> of it is that there was a definite suspicion that the pregnancy had
>> been planned by Susan. She saw Neil as a good catch and was dead set
>> on catching him, while he was far less interested. She was relying on
>> his innate decency to do the "right thing" and marry her. I'm not
>> sure that love, as such, was very apparent on either side, initially.
>> They did like each other though and Susan was determined to escape
>> being a Horrobin. Luckily, for both of them, love developed after the
>> event.
>
> Wasn't there something about a piglet she won at the County Show? The
> whole pig still alive; this is not (yet) Jude the Obscure.

Yes, she won Pinky, bowling for the pig. The expectation was that the
winner would sell the piglet, which she could have done quite easily,
and Neil strongly recommended that she did so. She insisted on keeping,
and raising, Pinky and emotionally blackmailed Neil into helping her
look after him. It was quite clear (to everyone but Neil) that she was
after him and that he was the reason she wanted Pinky.

A few months in, and with Neil still behaving with complete propriety
(much to Susan's chagrin) she was very upset about something her family
had done and Neil allowed her to cry on his shoulder. One thing led to
another, and both Emma and their marriage were the result.

--
Best wishes, Serena

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<qms0ui5hh5v4jgdshr26hq6tk2d1g05k75@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21968&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21968

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:11:15 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:11 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:48:12 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 27/02/2024 13:20, Vicky wrote:

>>> Well, Clarrie and Eddy are successful, aren't they, and Jolene and
>>> Kenton, and Oliver and Caroline were and Elizabeth and Nigel were.Oh
>>> and Peggy and her second Jack were.
>>
>> Well, I don't know. Clarrie and Eddy are still together but I wouldn't
>> say theirs was any kind of a model relationship, and Jolene definitely
>> props up the useless Kenton; the other marriages no longer exist so we
>> can't say how they would have turned out.
>>

>Dunno what she ever saw in him, he’s not even a musician.
>
>Mrs McT
Eddy sings and wrote a song for Clarrie. He does try to be romantic,
the trip to Paris, and I think really loves her, and she loves him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQpbX00Vaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNpa2tG0OI&list=OLAK5uy_m_-Aho7wa_8aQt3ddkaHGkajXJQQkRi8A&index=11

Try The Beast in Me or Lord it's Hard to be Humble.

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urptjp$h4l5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21969&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21969

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:34:00 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:34 UTC

On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:

<snip>

> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether it
> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.

AIUI, that's the usual method.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: The Archers recasts Robert Snell after death of actor Graham Blockey

<urq7qk$lvjj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21971&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21971

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Blockey
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:28:20 +0000
 by: john ashby - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:28 UTC

On 29/02/2024 12:34, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 10:06, Pete W wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> IIRC Susan became pregnant with Chris so they got married. Whether it
>> was love or pressure from outside I can't remember.
>
> AIUI, that's the usual method.

I believe pressure from inside is more effective.

john