Good day for overcoming obstacles. Try a steeplechase.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: helicopter flight

SubjectAuthor
* helicopter flightVicky
+* Re: helicopter flightJ. P. Gilliver
|`- Re: helicopter flightJohn Armstrong
+* Re: helicopter flightBrritSki
|`* Re: helicopter flightMike McMillan
| `* Re: helicopter flightPaul Herber
|  `* Re: helicopter flightMike McMillan
|   +- Re: helicopter flightMike McMillan
|   `- Re: helicopter flightJ. P. Gilliver
+- Re: helicopter flightChris J Dixon
+* Re: helicopter flightkosmo
|`* Re: helicopter flightVicky
| `* Re: helicopter flightKate B
|  `- Re: helicopter flightBrritSki
+- Re: helicopter flightBen Blaney
`- Re: helicopter flightNick Odell

1
helicopter flight

<c902ui1o9uc9g9299fo9flue947sqbqais@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21981&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21981

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: helicopter flight
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:14:22 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:14 UTC

Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
a quotation for a ride :).

Re: helicopter flight

<$0qGG0LClS4lFwrH@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21983&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21983

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 01:02:58 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: helicopter flight
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 01:02 UTC

In message <c902ui1o9uc9g9299fo9flue947sqbqais@4ax.com> at Thu, 29 Feb
2024 22:14:22, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
>a quotation for a ride :).

I've never been in one, so I don't know if they sound different from
inside, but that didn't _sound_ like what I thought a "chopper" sounded
like - too smooth, not choppy!

(I discovered from some films from 1972 or '3 that I recently digitised
with my new WinAit, that I once travelled on a "prop jet". A Vanguard.)

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.

Re: helicopter flight

<l4dia7FldogU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21984&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21984

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:35:18 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:35 UTC

On 01/03/2024 01:02, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <c902ui1o9uc9g9299fo9flue947sqbqais@4ax.com> at Thu, 29 Feb
> 2024 22:14:22, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>> won't like it and it's horrible.  I still want to try. Just asked for
>> a quotation for a ride :).
>>
> I've never been in one, so I don't know if they sound different from
> inside, but that didn't _sound_ like what I thought a "chopper" sounded
> like - too smooth, not choppy!
>
> (I discovered from some films from 1972 or '3 that I recently digitised
> with my new WinAit, that I once travelled on a "prop jet". A Vanguard.)

My daughter very kindly got me a helicopter ride as a birthday present
some years ago. It was a fascinating and most enjoyable experience.
Headphones had to be worn so that we could all speak, as it is noisy inside.

Don't forget your camera!

Re: helicopter flight

<l4dinvFlfgbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21985&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21985

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:42:39 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:42 UTC

On 29/02/2024 22:14, Vicky wrote:
> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
> won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
> a quotation for a ride :).

I flown in one twice. The first was an Air Sea Rescue Westland Whirlwinf
helicopter about 60 years on an ATC camp. I didnl;t know you could do
aerobatics in a chopper, but the pilot did a steep descent, pulled up,
and when it was seemingly pointing straight up he killed the tail rotor
so the main body rotated about the main rotor until it was pinting down
again and off we went again.

The second time was during the survival training in the North Sea during
my RAF pilot's course. We were taken out on a launch in a strong gale
with choppy seas, and about 8 of us at a time kicked off the boat into
the water with Mae Wests and a large dinghy. We had to get ourselves
into the dinghy and also rescue one of the 8 who was faking a broken arm.

When we'd done that a helicopter came and lifted us off one by one and
transported us dangling on the cable back to the launch. I was about 4th
off and it was very scary being lowered on to a boat you couldn;t see
and that was bucking about and bristling with aerials and antennas in a
strengthening gale. Thankfully we all made it back with our bits intact.

When there were 2 people left in the dinghy it was rocking and rolling
alarmingly. When the penultimate guy was lifted off the dinghy took off
and was bowling across the sea, so the last man bailed out and was
picked up some way away. The dinghy was last seen heading for Scotland
at a rate of knots.

Re: helicopter flight

<7h53uipd98a06h170ipp0q7j9g4dck8t2p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21987&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21987

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 08:48:22 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:48 UTC

Vicky wrote:

>Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
>a quotation for a ride :).

I've heard it described as like sitting on a tractor in a lift.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: helicopter flight

<urs79c$15oni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21990&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21990

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:C89f3shJ5ddjEA6ucW8EKya2CKk=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:

> I flown in one twice. The first was an Air Sea Rescue Westland Whirlwinf
> helicopter about 60 years on an ATC camp.

You might not have been so keen to fly had you known that there is a
possibility that I had machined the cuffs (the bits wot holds the rotor
blades to the central drive mechanism M’Lud) as I was working in the
machine shop at Westland Helico Peters about that time. [1971 on]. I also
machined cuffs and other parts for a few other models too.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: helicopter flight

<6mydndXEe7GjKHz4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21991&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21991

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:00:03 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: kosmo@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
 by: kosmo - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:00 UTC

On 29.2.24 22:14, Vicky wrote:
> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
> won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
> a quotation for a ride :).

I have. Over the Grand Canyon which was pretty good. And across to the
Scilly Isles which was probably better than going by sea - it was in
December. It is noisy but if there is something to see then well
worthwhile - the trip to the Scillies was for a holiday but there is
little to see.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: helicopter flight

<foe3uipvh34q44jurpjq63bo8fgajneqb2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21992&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21992

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 11:25:57 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:25 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:00:03 +0000, kosmo <kosmo@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 29.2.24 22:14, Vicky wrote:
>> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>> won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
>> a quotation for a ride :).
>>

>I have. Over the Grand Canyon which was pretty good. And across to the
>Scilly Isles which was probably better than going by sea - it was in
>December. It is noisy but if there is something to see then well
>worthwhile - the trip to the Scillies was for a holiday but there is
>little to see.

I went over the Grand Canyon in a 12 seater plane in a thunder storm.
Bit rough.

Re: helicopter flight

<l4dvsoFmdadU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21993&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21993

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:27:05 +0000
 by: Kate B - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:27 UTC

On 01/03/2024 11:25, Vicky wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:00:03 +0000, kosmo <kosmo@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 29.2.24 22:14, Vicky wrote:
>>> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>>> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>>> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>>> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>>> won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
>>> a quotation for a ride :).
>>>

>> I have. Over the Grand Canyon which was pretty good. And across to the
>> Scilly Isles which was probably better than going by sea - it was in
>> December. It is noisy but if there is something to see then well
>> worthwhile - the trip to the Scillies was for a holiday but there is
>> little to see.
>
> I went over the Grand Canyon in a 12 seater plane in a thunder storm.
> Bit rough.

I went up the Indus Valley to Gilgit in a 12-seater in a thunderstorm.
That was absolutely terrifying. But marginally more comfortable than the
trip back down to Rawalpindi in a bus. In a thunderstorm.

--
Kate B

Re: helicopter flight

<l4e2buFnnvrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21994&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21994

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:09:18 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:09 UTC

On 01/03/2024 12:27, Kate B wrote:
> On 01/03/2024 11:25, Vicky wrote:

>>> I have.  Over the Grand Canyon which was pretty good.  And across to the
>>> Scilly Isles which was probably better than going by sea - it was in
>>> December.  It is noisy but if there is something to see then well
>>> worthwhile - the trip to the Scillies was for a holiday but there is
>>> little to see.
>>
>> I went over the Grand Canyon in a 12 seater plane in a thunder storm.
>> Bit rough.
>
> I went up the Indus Valley to Gilgit in a 12-seater in a thunderstorm.
> That was absolutely terrifying. But marginally more comfortable than the
> trip back down to Rawalpindi in a bus. In a thunderstorm.

We flew back from Mexico to Texas through a thunderstorm. It was bad
enough for me, but waife was 7 months pregnant with BraatSki !
Perhaps that has what inured him to any kind of motion sickness.

Re: helicopter flight

<mgq3uipnacmtdhfh33aatfg81gjie48vbn@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21999&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21999

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 14:49:35 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:49 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:24 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
wrote:

>BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I flown in one twice. The first was an Air Sea Rescue Westland Whirlwinf
>> helicopter about 60 years on an ATC camp.
>
>You might not have been so keen to fly had you known that there is a
>possibility that I had machined the cuffs (the bits wot holds the rotor
>blades to the central drive mechanism M’Lud) as I was working in the
>machine shop at Westland Helico Peters about that time. [1971 on]. I also
>machined cuffs and other parts for a few other models too.

Twiggy? The Shrimp?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: helicopter flight

<urt0cu$1b09t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22001&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22001

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:39:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rbGEsj89vA6+yz5sVxR+bzbJrp4=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:39 UTC

Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:24 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I flown in one twice. The first was an Air Sea Rescue Westland Whirlwinf
>>> helicopter about 60 years on an ATC camp.
>>
>> You might not have been so keen to fly had you known that there is a
>> possibility that I had machined the cuffs (the bits wot holds the rotor
>> blades to the central drive mechanism M’Lud) as I was working in the
>> machine shop at Westland Helico Peters about that time. [1971 on]. I also
>> machined cuffs and other parts for a few other models too.
>
> Twiggy? The Shrimp?

The largest model would have needed XXL clothing as it was the Sea King (We
were making them mainly for the Norwegian Govt.and some for the hot sandy
nations who had lots of oil.)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: helicopter flight

<urt1d6$1b86p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22003&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22003

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:57:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qYFMYhfC8n8+H/PrReW3ySy+uOk=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:57 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:24 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You might not have been so keen to fly had you known that there is a
>>> possibility that I had machined the cuffs (the bits wot holds the rotor
>>> blades to the central drive mechanism M’Lud) as I was working in the
>>> machine shop at Westland Helico Peters about that time. [1971 on]. I also
>>> machined cuffs and other parts for a few other models too.
>>
>> Twiggy? The Shrimp?
>>

> The largest model would have needed XXL clothing as it was the Sea King (We
> were making them mainly for the Norwegian Govt.and some for the hot sandy
> nations who had lots of oil.)

The machine I worked on was a Profile Mill; it was known as ‘Le Rigid’ and
had a mixed parentage as it had worked for a number of aircraft companies
including Saunders Roe amongst others. The machine was err…. Rather large -
something like 20 feet or so wide at the table, about 18 feet high at the
top of the gear housing head for the cutting head. The machine was about
30 feet deep because it had a hydraulics section behind the profile tracing
head and behind that was the three phase switch gear and various motors.
The table had the profile sensor on one side and the cutting head on the
other side of centre, the cutters were about 4 inches in diameter and 18
inches long; they had to be changed after cutting two or three cuffs and
the ‘new head’ [re-sharpened really] had then to be re-calibrated so that
the profile tracer controlled the cutting head correctly, we had 0.001” to
0.005 “of tolerance depending on the area of the cuff being profiled. It
was not unknown to scrap a cuff due to having to work to established per
unit times that were too short to do the job well - thus using too high a
feed rate or deep a cutting depth to save time. GRAUNCH ! OH DEAR! Another
scrapped cuff! One of the reasons I [and many others] left their employ due
to the crazy ‘bonus scheme’. 😳🤨

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: helicopter flight

<Km0rizO4Bh4lFwcF@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22007&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22007

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:29:28 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:29 UTC

In message <urt0cu$1b09t$1@dont-email.me> at Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:39:58,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:24 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>><toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com>
[]
>>> machined cuffs and other parts for a few other models too.
>>
>> Twiggy? The Shrimp?

(-:

>The largest model would have needed XXL clothing as it was the Sea King (We
>were making them mainly for the Norwegian Govt.and some for the hot sandy
>nations who had lots of oil.)

And still do. When I was still with messybeast, the expression
"in-Kingdom" came up not infrequently, and didn't refer to this one.

The first objective of any tyrant in Whitehall would be to make Parliament
utterly subservient to his will; and the next to overturn or diminish trial by
jury ..." Lord Devlin (http://www.holbornchambers.co.uk)

Re: helicopter flight

<urtv86$1higr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22015&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22015

From: benblaney@gmail.invalid (Ben Blaney)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:26:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:26 UTC

On Feb 29, 2024 at 5:14:22 PM EST, "Vicky" <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
> helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
> Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
> not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
> won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
> a quotation for a ride :).

I have been on lots of helicopter rides (a couple of civilian rides - New York
City and Table Mountain, in Cape Town - and lots of military trips). I think
they're great. Perhaps because I don't at all understand the physics of it
(nor do I want to). They
are quite noisy and sometimes they are uncomfortable.

In general, I thoroughly recommend them.

Re: helicopter flight

<mp99uilb33dvclncc1vclb3i0nh932ahq8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22038&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22038

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:38:28 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:38 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:14:22 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Neil took Susan on one for her birthday. I've never been on a
>helicopter although that was one way to pay off ships in places like
>Cape Town when I sailed with Capt Ex. I was taken off by launch but
>not helicopter and now I want to ride in one. B has done and insists I
>won't like it and it's horrible. I still want to try. Just asked for
>a quotation for a ride :).

It's just like a ride on The London Eye but smellier and noisier
(though probably not dirtier).

Nick