From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Another telephone pole box
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:03:32 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:03 UTC

This box, which is about 30 cm long, and appears to be of a sort of
reinforced structure (they don't seem to be ventilation slots) is about
5m off the ground. It looks to me as though there are some sturdy power
cables entering it. There also appears to be something of coax cable
size entering, which go to the rectangular BT box above and to the
right. Any idea what it is for (and box above for that matter)?

<https://ibb.co/265cZTq>

--

Jeff

Re: Another telephone pole box

<l0l0rtFnha0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2210&group=uk.telecom#2210

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Another telephone pole box
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:21:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:21 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> This box, which is about 30 cm long, and appears to be of a sort of
> reinforced structure (they don't seem to be ventilation slots) is about
> 5m off the ground. It looks to me as though there are some sturdy power
> cables entering it. There also appears to be something of coax cable
> size entering, which go to the rectangular BT box above and to the
> right. Any idea what it is for (and box above for that matter)?
>
> <https://ibb.co/265cZTq>

Looks a bit like a fibre splice enclosure, but could just as well be
copper splices, as a kid I remember seeing all sorts of "torpedo" shaped
things strapped to telegraph poles out in the sticks.

<https://google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=splice+enclosure+dome>

Re: Another telephone pole box

<276756667.727028973.764867.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2211&group=uk.telecom#2211

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 15 Jan 2024 16:30:50 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:30 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> This box, which is about 30 cm long, and appears to be of a sort of
> reinforced structure (they don't seem to be ventilation slots) is about
> 5m off the ground. It looks to me as though there are some sturdy power
> cables entering it. There also appears to be something of coax cable
> size entering, which go to the rectangular BT box above and to the
> right. Any idea what it is for (and box above for that matter)?
>
> <https://ibb.co/265cZTq>

Is that an old DAX box for sharing a voice phone line? Can’t find any
pictures online unfortunately. Maybe I’m calling it by the wrong name?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Another telephone pole box

<2147206514.727029853.790740.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2212&group=uk.telecom#2212

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 15 Jan 2024 16:44:42 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:44 UTC

Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> This box, which is about 30 cm long, and appears to be of a sort of
>> reinforced structure (they don't seem to be ventilation slots) is about
>> 5m off the ground. It looks to me as though there are some sturdy power
>> cables entering it. There also appears to be something of coax cable
>> size entering, which go to the rectangular BT box above and to the
>> right. Any idea what it is for (and box above for that matter)?
>>
>> <https://ibb.co/265cZTq>
>>

> Is that an old DAX box for sharing a voice phone line? Can’t find any
> pictures online unfortunately. Maybe I’m calling it by the wrong name?
>
> Tim

Ah, it would seem it’s DACs I was thinking about.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls