Every cloud has a silver lining; you should have sold it, and bought titanium.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: mystery parcel!

SubjectAuthor
* OT: mystery parcel!J. P. Gilliver
`* Re: OT: mystery parcel!Nick Odell
 `* Re: OT: mystery parcel!Chris
  `* Re: OT: mystery parcel!Vicky
   `* Re: OT: mystery parcel!kosmo
    `- Re: OT: mystery parcel!Mike McMillan

1
OT: mystery parcel!

<Uy842Pbsg18lFweO@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22197&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22197

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:03:56 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: mystery parcel!
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:03 UTC

Recently, I got an email from DPD, saying your parcel will arrive soon.
Since I wasn't expecting anything, I ignored it (I might have forwarded
it to the phishing addresses, though it wasn't really phishing).

A little later, I received another email - this time saying when it
would be delivered (which was within an hour timespan - quite good), and
mentioning both my name and my address.

Then, sure enough, it arrived this afternoon (near the beginning of the
slot promised). [He took a picture of it standing in front of my opened
door, which - the picture I mean - I received in another email shortly
afterwards.)

I opened the parcel: it contained various "green" items - some rolls of
draught-excluder foam tape, some packets of secondary-double-glazing
film, some of that foil stuff for putting behind your radiators, and
some LED light bulbs; also, what looks like a rather nice
stainless-steel thermos-type flask. What it didn't contain was any
paperwork; nor did the outside of the parcel.

I was a _little_ concerned - has someone got my credit card and
sufficient extra detail to be ordering things? (Though thinking about it
now, if they're having things sent to my existing address, that doesn't
help them much. [Unless they're the seller, of course.])

I read the tiny print on the DPD label, and identified the sender -
Advanced Total Supplies Limited, of Rugby. I googled, and found a
company of that name, though a slightly different postcode and address,
and a landline and (on a Facebook page) mobile number. Also a website -
which when accessed, had "coming soon" on some of the links.

Dialling 141 first, I called the landline - no answer. Then I called the
mobile, which was eventually answered by a nice-sounding lady, who said
the parcel had probably come from an energy supplier - apparently some
of those are using this company to send out such parcels. (And she
explained that it would have come from their warehouse, hence the
slightly different address.)

Which sounds plausible; in the same way British Gas posted me some
fluorescent light bulbs some years ago (when such things were just
coming in), I can believe an energy supplier has sent me this parcel
(though the flask is a nice additional gift). However, none of such
suppliers had _told_ me they were doing so, and the lack of paperwork in
the box was rather startling!

He's incorrigibly naughty, as only a senior citizen can be.
- David Hepworth (on Barry Humphries), RT 2020/2/1-7

Re: OT: mystery parcel!

<ja37vilqvrcp3mvvbtfoerlcdkph3bjf2v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22201&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22201

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: mystery parcel!
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:58:51 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:58 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:03:56 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>Recently, I got an email from DPD, saying your parcel will arrive soon.
>Since I wasn't expecting anything, I ignored it (I might have forwarded
>it to the phishing addresses, though it wasn't really phishing).
>
>A little later, I received another email - this time saying when it
>would be delivered (which was within an hour timespan - quite good), and
>mentioning both my name and my address.
>
>Then, sure enough, it arrived this afternoon (near the beginning of the
>slot promised). [He took a picture of it standing in front of my opened
>door, which - the picture I mean - I received in another email shortly
>afterwards.)
>
>I opened the parcel: it contained various "green" items - some rolls of
>draught-excluder foam tape, some packets of secondary-double-glazing
>film, some of that foil stuff for putting behind your radiators, and
>some LED light bulbs; also, what looks like a rather nice
>stainless-steel thermos-type flask. What it didn't contain was any
>paperwork; nor did the outside of the parcel.
>
>I was a _little_ concerned - has someone got my credit card and
>sufficient extra detail to be ordering things? (Though thinking about it
>now, if they're having things sent to my existing address, that doesn't
>help them much. [Unless they're the seller, of course.])
>
>I read the tiny print on the DPD label, and identified the sender -
>Advanced Total Supplies Limited, of Rugby. I googled, and found a
>company of that name, though a slightly different postcode and address,
>and a landline and (on a Facebook page) mobile number. Also a website -
>which when accessed, had "coming soon" on some of the links.
>
>Dialling 141 first, I called the landline - no answer. Then I called the
>mobile, which was eventually answered by a nice-sounding lady, who said
>the parcel had probably come from an energy supplier - apparently some
>of those are using this company to send out such parcels. (And she
>explained that it would have come from their warehouse, hence the
>slightly different address.)
>
>Which sounds plausible; in the same way British Gas posted me some
>fluorescent light bulbs some years ago (when such things were just
>coming in), I can believe an energy supplier has sent me this parcel
>(though the flask is a nice additional gift). However, none of such
>suppliers had _told_ me they were doing so, and the lack of paperwork in
>the box was rather startling!

It might be a local authority initiative (although I thought local
authorities didn't have the money to show initiative these days) or as
the company said, an energy supplier - is yours advertising such a
scheme?

There is a fairly well-known scam associated with big on-line
retailers where a company sends out lots and lots of fairly worthless
items to random addresses because it boosts their ranking with the
on-line retailer but I can't see how that would work in this instance.

Nick

Re: OT: mystery parcel!

<ut1avj$28csd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22213&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22213

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:21:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MtHYkyifRHz80g/Hdi4A+ntyrLU=
 by: Chris - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:21 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>> fluorescent light bulbs some years ago (when such things were just
>> coming in), I can believe an energy supplier has sent me this parcel
>> (though the flask is a nice additional gift). However, none of such
>> suppliers had _told_ me they were doing so, and the lack of paperwork in
>> the box was rather startling!
>
> It might be a local authority initiative (although I thought local
> authorities didn't have the money to show initiative these days) or as
> the company said, an energy supplier - is yours advertising such a
> scheme?
>
> There is a fairly well-known scam associated with big on-line
> retailers where a company sends out lots and lots of fairly worthless
> items to random addresses because it boosts their ranking with the
> on-line retailer but I can't see how that would work in this instance.

Back in the day when I had the will to watch Rip of Britain, there was a
piece where people had ordered something of a decent price to be sent
instead something totally inane, occasionally sort of relevant. Items for
dogs meant the piece appealed to dog lover Angela Rippon.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: mystery parcel!

<5ac8vipv21osff49cjp9aj24tne9tlqcna@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22214&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22214

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:32:20 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:32 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:21:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the box was rather startling!
>>
>> It might be a local authority initiative (although I thought local
>> authorities didn't have the money to show initiative these days) or as
>> the company said, an energy supplier - is yours advertising such a
>> scheme?
>>
>> There is a fairly well-known scam associated with big on-line
>> retailers where a company sends out lots and lots of fairly worthless
>> items to random addresses because it boosts their ranking with the
>> on-line retailer but I can't see how that would work in this instance.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>Back in the day when I had the will to watch Rip of Britain, there was a
>piece where people had ordered something of a decent price to be sent
>instead something totally inane, occasionally sort of relevant. Items for
>dogs meant the piece appealed to dog lover Angela Rippon.

A few years ago I bought an iphone from Amazon and a packet of dried
mushrooms arrived. I complained and they said would refund if I sent
the iphone back. They said no way could anyone at packing have ..got
it wrong. I sent the mushrooms back and argued and bought an iphone
from Apple and told Amazon and eventually got a refund.

Re: OT: mystery parcel!

<c6GcnYhX4MSeqmn4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22217&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22217

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:54:44 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: kosmo@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
 by: kosmo - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:54 UTC

On 15.3.24 11:32, Vicky wrote:
> A few years ago I bought an iphone from Amazon and a packet of dried
> mushrooms arrived. I complained and they said would refund if I sent
> the iphone back. They said no way could anyone at packing have ..got
> it wrong. I sent the mushrooms back and argued and bought an iphone
> from Apple and told Amazon and eventually got a refund.

Perhaps they were magic mushrooms and gave you the power of a direct 5G
connection with a phone once consumed?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: mystery parcel!

<ut1eo2$296b1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22220&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22220

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:25:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hUXXwgTnF/HW/VfcPTNWbcTdrrM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:25 UTC

kosmo <kosmo@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 15.3.24 11:32, Vicky wrote:
>> A few years ago I bought an iphone from Amazon and a packet of dried
>> mushrooms arrived. I complained and they said would refund if I sent
>> the iphone back. They said no way could anyone at packing have ..got
>> it wrong. I sent the mushrooms back and argued and bought an iphone
>> from Apple and told Amazon and eventually got a refund.
>
> Perhaps they were magic mushrooms and gave you the power of a direct 5G
> connection with a phone once consumed?

And connected you to a Fun Guy?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan