Was my SOY LOAF left out in th'RAIN? It tastes REAL GOOD!!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: TA Book club

SubjectAuthor
* TA Book clubChris
+- Re: TA Book clubJ. P. Gilliver
+* Re: TA Book clubRosie Mitchell
|+- Re: TA Book clubSerena Blanchflower
|`* Re: TA Book clubChris
| +- Re: TA Book clubWenlock
| `* Re: TA Book clubRosie Mitchell
|  `* Re: TA Book clubWenlock
|   `* Re: TA Book clubChris
|    `* Re: TA Book clubKate B
|     `- Re: TA Book clubChris
+- Re: TA Book clubSerena Blanchflower
+- Re: TA Book clubIain Archer
`- Re: TA Book clubkosmo

1
TA Book club

<usf9le$1ooan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22114&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22114

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: TA Book club
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:08:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8VRJyzTB9BWpP3CiweA3WkoJ5Zs=
 by: Chris - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:08 UTC

I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.

“Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
ways of earning a living”

Mrs McT

Re: TA Book club

<DPa3Yrl$8y6lFwe+@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22115&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22115

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:31:11 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: TA Book club
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:31 UTC

In message <usf9le$1ooan$1@dont-email.me> at Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:08:31,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
>David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
>hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
>umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
[]
So it wanders miles off-subject a lot?

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3

Re: TA Book club

<87r0gku18g.fsf@milou>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22117&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22117

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 16:39:27 +0000
sha1:J74silEFjNsQeX48fzRpoHX8Skg=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:39 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:

> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>
> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
> ways of earning a living”

Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
in that from estate income?

Rosie

Re: TA Book club

<usforu$1k1qf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22120&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22120

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:27:58 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:27 UTC

On 08/03/2024 15:08, Chris wrote:
> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>
> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
> ways of earning a living”

Yes, I read it around the time it came out and enjoyed it. ISTR a
certain amount of discussion about it, in these parts, at the time.

--
Best wishes, Serena
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.

Re: TA Book club

<usfp0d$1k1qf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22121&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22121

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:30:21 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:30 UTC

On 08/03/2024 16:39, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
>> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
>> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
>> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
>> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
>> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
>> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>>
>> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
>> ways of earning a living”
>
> Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
> III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
> in that from estate income?

There's no estate left to go with the title nowadays. I forget what
David said about the reasons for this and whether it was squandered by a
spendthrift ancestor or if, at some point, it was left down a different
branch of the family tree.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Turn your face to the Sun and the shadows fall behind you. (Maori proverb)

Re: TA Book club

<usk1qu$2tlse$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22138&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22138

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:25:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:haq03OoLDOV3O2btuwjPddSU3MQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:25 UTC

Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
>> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
>> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
>> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
>> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
>> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
>> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>>
>> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
>> ways of earning a living”
>
> Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
> III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
> in that from estate income?
>
> Rosie

The title died in the 1990s with the death of Tim’s dad. There are two
lines of descent. Tim’s comes from something to do with the Romans (as in
Catholics). I’d never heard of this form of line of descent.

Slightly miffed, we looked at downloading the RNIB audio file via Alexa to
find that anything owned by Audible is theirs and they’re not sharing it
nowhere, no way.

Sulk. Mrs McT

Re: TA Book club

<usk30u$2ttjp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22142&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22142

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:45:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bbZFLliUWcvO2BnN9vdAunTO6qQ=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:45 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>
>>> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
>>> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
>>> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
>>> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
>>> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
>>> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
>>> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>>>
>>> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
>>> ways of earning a living”
>>
>> Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
>> III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
>> in that from estate income?
>>
>> Rosie
>>
> The title died in the 1990s with the death of Tim’s dad. There are two
> lines of descent. Tim’s comes from something to do with the Romans (as in
> Catholics). I’d never heard of this form of line of descent.

The title that died was that of Count (or Graf) Bentinck und Waldeck
Limpurg, which was originally granted to the Hon. William Bentinck, Baron
Bentinck of the Duchy of Guelders, by the Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand I in
1732. This title was rescinded in 1932 by a Royal Warrant which removed a
previous dispensation to it, and applied beyond any living heirs. Tim’s
father was 12 years old at the time, so was able to take the title but not
to pass it on.

Re: TA Book club

<usk7be$2tue2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22143&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22143

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:59:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:59 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 15:08:31 +0000, Chris wrote:

> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no
> longer lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.

I did a round of several London borough library catalogues.
Most of those still have a hard copy, Bromley topping the list with
four. No sign found of an mp3 version. Barbican (City of L)
says it now has on order:

ISBN: 9781785028373
Personal Author: Bentinck, Tim,
Edition: Unabridged edition.
Production information: Long Preston : Magna Story Sound, 2018.
Physical Description: 8 CDs (10 hr.) : digital, stereo
Performer: Read by the author.

> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other
> unusual ways of earning a living”

The catalogue blurb concludes:

"a successful actor in TV, film and theatre, an HGV truck driver, a
US tour guide, an inventor with UK patents, farm worker and a
crossbencher in the House of Lords. This is an articulate, funny and
thoughtful account of how to survive an insecure life."

Re: TA Book club

<8734syjj5e.fsf@milou>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22144&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22144

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:44:45 +0000
sha1:ukWiayq3rqc5jgWpHEEZLIvxmfM=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:44 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>
>>> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
>>> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
>>> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
>>> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
>>> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
>>> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
>>> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>>>
>>> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
>>> ways of earning a living”
>>
>> Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
>> III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
>> in that from estate income?
>>
>> Rosie
>>
> The title died in the 1990s with the death of Tim’s dad. There are two
> lines of descent. Tim’s comes from something to do with the Romans (as in
> Catholics). I’d never heard of this form of line of descent.

Surely if Tim is his dad's male offspring the title would pass to him,
not become extinct. It might become extinct if it passed to an older
brother who then died without male issue (take that how you wish) but
not if it could pass directly to Tim.

Rosie

Re: TA Book club

<uskndm$328n1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22145&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22145

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:33:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OvT3ofd+omTn+CLXmJCXGLleD3s=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:33 UTC

Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Keeping a low profile as 12th Earl of Portland and descendent of William
>>> III's "favourite" (squeeze) the first Earl then? Surely there's a living
>>> in that from estate income?
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>>
>> The title died in the 1990s with the death of Tim’s dad. There are two
>> lines of descent. Tim’s comes from something to do with the Romans (as in
>> Catholics). I’d never heard of this form of line of descent.
>
> Surely if Tim is his dad's male offspring the title would pass to him,
> not become extinct. It might become extinct if it passed to an older
> brother who then died without male issue (take that how you wish) but
> not if it could pass directly to Tim.

The Earldom is inherited in the normal way. It’s his father’s other title,
as a Count of the Holy Roman Empire, that has been extinguished, at least
in terms of its use within the UK.

Re: TA Book club

<ussamt$vn7m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22173&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22173

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:46:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:P3dZQcAYDeCGC/cb1O9/Bh6/jjc=
 by: Chris - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:46 UTC

Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes:

>>> The title died in the 1990s with the death of Tim’s dad. There are two
>>> lines of descent. Tim’s comes from something to do with the Romans (as in
>>> Catholics). I’d never heard of this form of line of descent.
>>
>> Surely if Tim is his dad's male offspring the title would pass to him,
>> not become extinct. It might become extinct if it passed to an older
>> brother who then died without male issue (take that how you wish) but
>> not if it could pass directly to Tim.
>
> The Earldom is inherited in the normal way. It’s his father’s other title,
> as a Count of the Holy Roman Empire, that has been extinguished, at least
> in terms of its use within the UK.

Thanks. I know next to nothing about genealogy.

Mrs McT

Re: TA Book club

<AS-dnQNzHKBcImz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22177&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22177

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:01:23 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: kosmo@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
 by: kosmo - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:01 UTC

On 8.3.24 15:08, Chris wrote:
> I might just be very dense these days but has no umrat really not read
> David Archer’s best friend’s book? Published 2017. Trust me, it’s
> hilarious. I couldn’t possibly read it away from home. It reads like
> umrats talk. I can’t share any of it: it’ll give things away. Tim
> recorded it for the RNIB. No, I’m not listening but checked for my TA
> friends who happen go use both Talking Book and Braille. Audible no longer
> lets casuals browse their site. I used to be able to.
>
> “Being David Archer” is the actual title. Strap line is “and other unusual
> ways of earning a living”
>
> Mrs McT

I think it is on this pile of books waiting to be read, let me check, no
this one?

That one?

No not there the other one next to it?

I am sure it is here somewhere.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: TA Book club

<l5dvopFk5emU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22178&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22178

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:41:13 +0000
 by: Kate B - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:41 UTC

On 13/03/2024 13:46, Chris wrote:
> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Surely if Tim is his dad's male offspring the title would pass to him,
>>> not become extinct. It might become extinct if it passed to an older
>>> brother who then died without male issue (take that how you wish) but
>>> not if it could pass directly to Tim.
>>
>> The Earldom is inherited in the normal way. It’s his father’s other title,
>> as a Count of the Holy Roman Empire, that has been extinguished, at least
>> in terms of its use within the UK.
>>

> Thanks. I know next to nothing about genealogy.

The Holy Roman Empire (which was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an empire,
as someone more famous than me once said) was indeed extinguished in
1806, when Napoleon ran riot through Germany and Austria disestablishing
everything and the then-current Habsburg gave up. It didn't stop the
Habsburgs themselves, though, who kept the title of Emperor of Austria,
and gaily distributed and upheld all the titles they could think of,
until that Empire collapsed in 1918. However, all those titles appear
still to be in use in Europe and indeed this one is still licensed to be
used in the UK.

Tim's father was the imperial Count Bentinck by a dog-legged line from
the second son of the 1st Earl of Portland, and inherited the Portland
Earldom from a cousin - it was the Dukedom that disappeared on the death
of the last Duke of Portland in 1990. So Tim's link to King Billy is
quite tenuous, and the big house (Welbeck Abbey) belonged to the Dukes
not the Earls, and now belongs to the descendants of the last Duke's
daughter. Tim's father ran a sheep farm in Tasmania and later an organic
smallholding in Devon.

So no ancestral acres either. Just the two fearfully grand but rather
untethered titles.

--
Kate B

Re: TA Book club

<ut1add$289bh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22211&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22211

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:11:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7q/PbKvhmtTt3ThU3F+KmTFOSrk=
 by: Chris - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:11 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13/03/2024 13:46, Chris wrote:
>> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> The Earldom is inherited in the normal way. It’s his father’s other title,
>>> as a Count of the Holy Roman Empire, that has been extinguished, at least
>>> in terms of its use within the UK.
>>>

>> Thanks. I know next to nothing about genealogy.
>>

> The Holy Roman Empire (which was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an empire,
> as someone more famous than me once said) was indeed extinguished in
> 1806, when Napoleon ran riot through Germany and Austria disestablishing
> everything and the then-current Habsburg gave up. It didn't stop the
> Habsburgs themselves, though, who kept the title of Emperor of Austria,
> and gaily distributed and upheld all the titles they could think of,
> until that Empire collapsed in 1918. However, all those titles appear
> still to be in use in Europe and indeed this one is still licensed to be
> used in the UK.
>
> Tim's father was the imperial Count Bentinck by a dog-legged line from
> the second son of the 1st Earl of Portland, and inherited the Portland
> Earldom from a cousin - it was the Dukedom that disappeared on the death
> of the last Duke of Portland in 1990. So Tim's link to King Billy is
> quite tenuous, and the big house (Welbeck Abbey) belonged to the Dukes
> not the Earls, and now belongs to the descendants of the last Duke's
> daughter. Tim's father ran a sheep farm in Tasmania and later an organic
> smallholding in Devon.
>
> So no ancestral acres either. Just the two fearfully grand but rather
> untethered titles.

Sumned up far better than I’m capable of, thanks, Kate.

Mrs McT