From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Bloody speaker connections
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:41:16 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:41 UTC

I'm sure you are all familiar with those little clamp thingies to hold the
speaker wire into a hole? The question is why are they so bad at connecting
to anything.
I was lying in bed the other night and was conscious of the stereo image
moving about. After fiddling with all the plugs and sockets around the amp
and sources, it only left the speakers, and sure enough, just touch the
wire, apparently firmly clamped into the hole by the spring and the volume
goes up and down, Trying the other speaker, it was the same.
I think I would if the speakers came apart do away with these useless
connections and put some banana sockets or terminals in.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Bloody speaker connections

<tlcvjd$9ng$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2241&group=uk.rec.audio#2241

From: Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Bloody speaker connections
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:30:05 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:30 UTC

On 19/11/2022 09:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I'm sure you are all familiar with those little clamp thingies to hold the
> speaker wire into a hole? The question is why are they so bad at connecting
> to anything.
> I was lying in bed the other night and was conscious of the stereo image
> moving about. After fiddling with all the plugs and sockets around the amp
> and sources, it only left the speakers, and sure enough, just touch the
> wire, apparently firmly clamped into the hole by the spring and the volume
> goes up and down, Trying the other speaker, it was the same.
> I think I would if the speakers came apart do away with these useless
> connections and put some banana sockets or terminals in.
>
> Brian

But was the bare wire clamped or did you manage to
clamp mostly insulation with just a couple of strands
of bare wire making contact ?.

Re: Bloody speaker connections

<tld7rq$3h1c7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2242&group=uk.rec.audio#2242

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 12:51:06 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 12:51 UTC

No it was definitely the wire, which seems to have been tinned at the ends.
I did wonder if a crimped on gubbins with a gold plated end bit in the hole
might work better, but that is basically saying this is crap lets make it
slightly less crappy.
Brian

--

--: