Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:55:52 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: cover AND vent?
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:55 UTC

On a lot of foods, the instructions (even the ones that have "... half
way through" too late in a sentence) start "Empty contents into a
microwaveable container, cover and vent." The "and" suggests these are
two actions, and I'm a bit puzzled what the "vent" part means. I have a
plastic cover (about the size of the turntable, presumably
deliberately); it has a row of little square holes around the ridge, but
there's no mechanism to cover them, so they're always "venting"?

There should be a place on the ballot paper for 'None of the above', and if
enough people filled that in, the system might start to change. - Jeremy
Paxman in RT, 2014/1/25-31

Re: OT: cover AND vent?

<uu4cif$3o0e5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22654&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22654

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: cover AND vent?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:23:11 +0000
 by: john ashby - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

On 28/03/2024 17:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> On a lot of foods, the instructions (even the ones that have "... half
> way through" too late in a sentence) start "Empty contents into a
> microwaveable container, cover and vent." The "and" suggests these are
> two actions, and I'm a bit puzzled what the "vent" part means. I have a
> plastic cover (about the size of the turntable, presumably
> deliberately); it has a row of little square holes around the ridge, but
> there's no mechanism to cover them, so they're always "venting"?

Some such containers have covers which *do* have a hole which can be
covered or opened (some sliding or rotating mechanism). This can be
invaluable to my POI for transporting food by bicycle (vent closed) to
an elderly gentleman she feeds once a week (her D.Phil supervisor). Once
there she can reheat the food in his microwave (vent open) and in the
same container.

john

Re: OT: cover AND vent?

<Rhprd4qgfbBmFw7n@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22658&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22658

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:33:04 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:33 UTC

In message <uu4cif$3o0e5$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:23:11,
john ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>On 28/03/2024 17:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> On a lot of foods, the instructions (even the ones that have "...
>>half way through" too late in a sentence) start "Empty contents into
>>a microwaveable container, cover and vent." The "and" suggests these
>>are two actions, and I'm a bit puzzled what the "vent" part means. I
>>have a plastic cover (about the size of the turntable, presumably
>>deliberately); it has a row of little square holes around the ridge,
>>but there's no mechanism to cover them, so they're always "venting"?
>
>Some such containers have covers which *do* have a hole which can be
>covered or opened (some sliding or rotating mechanism). This can be
>invaluable to my POI for transporting food by bicycle (vent closed) to
>an elderly gentleman she feeds once a week (her D.Phil supervisor).
>Once there she can reheat the food in his microwave (vent open) and in
>the same container.
>
>john

Ah - a good explanation! Thanks. Now you mention it, I have seen such
containers - in assorted shapes and sizes - in Lakeland.

There should be a place on the ballot paper for 'None of the above', and if
enough people filled that in, the system might start to change. - Jeremy
Paxman in RT, 2014/1/25-31

Re: OT: cover AND vent?

<OJjNN.4630$T%2.4145@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22666&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22666

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:41:32 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 19:41 UTC

On 28-Mar-24 18:33, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <uu4cif$3o0e5$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:23:11,
> john ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>> On 28/03/2024 17:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> On a lot of foods, the instructions (even the ones that have "...
>>> half  way through" too late in a sentence) start "Empty contents into
>>> a  microwaveable container, cover and vent." The "and" suggests these
>>> are  two actions, and I'm a bit puzzled what the "vent" part means. I
>>> have a  plastic cover (about the size of the turntable, presumably
>>> deliberately); it has a row of little square holes around the ridge,
>>> but  there's no mechanism to cover them, so they're always "venting"?
>>
>> Some such containers have covers which *do* have a hole which can be
>> covered or opened (some sliding or rotating mechanism). This can be
>> invaluable to my POI for transporting food by bicycle (vent closed) to
>> an elderly gentleman she feeds once a week (her D.Phil supervisor).
>> Once there she can reheat the food in his microwave (vent open) and in
>> the same container.
>>
>> john
>
> Ah - a good explanation! Thanks. Now you mention it, I have seen such
> containers - in assorted shapes and sizes - in Lakeland.

Often containers are microwaved with just a layer of cling film on top.
If you don't stab a small hole or two in that, the trapped air will
inflate and redecorate the microwave's interior with the contents.

--
Sam Plusnet