From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: BBC audio streams confusion in the last day or so
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:47:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

OK so you can play all bbc audio streams direct from the bbc as long as you
have an account, without the awful bbc sounds jingle.
However, on my amazon device I can no longer use radio player to play any
bbc local radio, or radio 2. The remaining stations still work.
Have the bbc made another cock up or did they really mean to ban third
party players from playing their streams?
If you use my tuner radio, you can find a different set of channels ork or
don't work.
Very pecular logic or more likely a cock up. One has to remember that after
next week all the forced cuts on bbc local radio start to take effect,
including the removal of regional late niight radio, tailored to the people
in siad area, in favour of an as yet undisclosed national program. I
shudder to think it might be another bland presenter running bits of news
from around the country and music with precious little involvement from the
listener. I hope to be proved wrong, but I'm not optomistic.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: BBC audio streams confusion in the last day or so

<0001HW.2ACD635E01E910B330E90E38F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2250&group=uk.rec.audio#2250

From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 10:09:50 +0100
 by: Ian McCall - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:09 UTC

On 29 Sep 2023, Brian Gaff wrote
(in article <uf6a02$7vs4$1@dont-email.me>):

> However, on my amazon device I can no longer use radio player to play any
> bbc local radio, or radio 2. The remaining stations still work.
> Have the bbc made another cock up or did they really mean to ban third
> party players from playing their streams?

> Very pecular logic or more likely a cock up.

Sad to say I think it -isn’t- a cock-up, and is a deliberate strategy to
force everyone onto Sounds. It has been the case on the Apple HomePod
ecosystem for quite some time now - used to be able to get BBC stations (via
TuneIn I think? Not sure), have not been able to for years now. The clumsy
workaround is that you can play them via the Sounds app (and you can still
play the sound on a HomePod by starting the stream on a phone/Mac and using
airplay to get it to the HomePod).

Cheers,
Ian

Re: BBC audio streams confusion in the last day or so

<ugreju$d42b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=uk.rec.audio#2273

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:31:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:31 UTC

Yes, I've also noticed that playing stuff via sounds now sends you adverts
for bbc podcasts and the like, at the start. Don't we get enough adverts for
this stuff already? Do they really think that I as an in touch listener
really care about a new bbc podcast about the way to use make up on darker
skins?
Brian

--

--: