From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Slight change of tack here, but reading this I began to wonder, that as we all grew up with circuit symbols, and in the main they seem pretty standard, who actually is responsible for them in the first place?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:47:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:47 UTC

So for example, Valves or as the Americans call them Tubes with their
multiple electrodes, Transistors, SCRs and FETs with their subtle
differences. About the only variation we saw in these in my seeing days was
the enclosing line, sometimes its there, sometimes not.
You did for a while see two representations of a resistor, either a zig-zag
pattern or just a rectangle with a wire each end.
Of course things like Voltage regulators, zener diodes and the many other
kinds of semiconductor do vary a bit too, as does how the earth is depicted.
Ceramic filters and their ilk can be different as well, but in the main you
can follow things.
It has got a lot harder with the aforementioned regulators and other kinds
of chips, but since many are custom made you usually get descriptions of the
'black box' devices. I remember my first encounter with a single chip stereo
FM decoder was somewhat confusing at the time.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...