From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Energy use!)!)
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 20:02:02 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:02 UTC

Chris J Dixon wrote:

>I also watch quite a lot of material using my smart TV, and there
>is no easy way round the ads. I can accept a few seconds every so
>often, but over a minute at less than 5 minute intervals is
>getting really annoying.

To follow myself up, I think I have worked out what is happening.

YouTube's algorithm is non-linear. Short items get short ads, the
longer the item the longer the ad, but at similar intervals. For
items over an hour it behaves as I described above.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: OT: Energy use!)!)

<LZgRN.65423$kt2.62817@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22884&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22884

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:50:03 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:50 UTC

On 09-Apr-24 20:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>> I also watch quite a lot of material using my smart TV, and there
>> is no easy way round the ads. I can accept a few seconds every so
>> often, but over a minute at less than 5 minute intervals is
>> getting really annoying.
>
> To follow myself up, I think I have worked out what is happening.
>
> YouTube's algorithm is non-linear. Short items get short ads, the
> longer the item the longer the ad, but at similar intervals. For
> items over an hour it behaves as I described above.

If you know in advance which videos you will want to watch, you could
download them onto a PC and then view the (advert free) recordings on
your TV.

https://www.4kdownload.com/howto/howto-download-and-play-youtube-on-hd-tv/3

This covers how to do this with the application I use (4k Download), but
I just watch them on the PC itself.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Energy use!)!)

<41724ea3d5b1bb718ec8721d8a1c5354@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22885&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22885

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (nick)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:54:09 +0000
 by: nick - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:54 UTC

Sam Plusnet wrote:

> On 09-Apr-24 20:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> I also watch quite a lot of material using my smart TV, and there
>>> is no easy way round the ads. I can accept a few seconds every so
>>> often, but over a minute at less than 5 minute intervals is
>>> getting really annoying.
>>
>> To follow myself up, I think I have worked out what is happening.
>>
>> YouTube's algorithm is non-linear. Short items get short ads, the
>> longer the item the longer the ad, but at similar intervals. For
>> items over an hour it behaves as I described above.

> If you know in advance which videos you will want to watch, you could
> download them onto a PC and then view the (advert free) recordings on
> your TV.

> https://www.4kdownload.com/howto/howto-download-and-play-youtube-on-hd-tv/3

> This covers how to do this with the application I use (4k Download), but
> I just watch them on the PC itself.

I use an application called Freetube which sits on your PC and behaves more-or-less the same as YouTube but without the adverts or the need to sign in for things. I presume it is possible to cast from Freetube on the computer to the TV but I don't have a TV to try it with.

Nick